FM10: Xerez Club Deportivo, S.A.D.- Survival the Key!

Xerez_cd.png

Xerez Club Deportivo, S.A.D. is a Spanish football team from Jerez de la Frontera, Andalusia. Founded on September 24, 1947, the team will play the 2009–10 season in La Liga for the first time. Its reserve team is Xerez B, currently playing in Primera Andaluza.

The team's stadium, Estadio Municipal de Chapín, was inaugurated on July 10, 1988, replacing the old Estadio Domecq. The first match there was a friendly against Real Madrid. Team colours are usually blue shirt and socks, and white shorts.

History

Matchday in Chapin

Due to the link between Jerez de la Frontera and the United Kingdom created by the exports of sherry (Jerez in Spanish), football had its beginnings in the region towards the second half of the 1800s. In the early 1900s, Sir Thomas Spencer, whom worked with the William & Humbert winery, founded (also being chairman, player and captain) Sociedad Jerez Foot-Ball Club.

From 1942-47, the club had several names, ending with Jerez Club Deportivo, which was changed to the current name in 1960s. Xerez first reached the second division in 1953-54, remaining there for five years. After decades in that category and also in the third, it had a 2001-02 second division campaign which almost resulted in an historic top level promotion, the year after ascending another level. The club seemed certain to gain promotion all season, but ultimately failed after a dramatic loss of form towards the end of the season, only notching four points in the last eight matches.

Celebrating promotion to La Liga

Since then, Xerez has finished in the top 10 in the division each campaign, except in the 2007-08 season, when a weak start led to a 15th place finish. The following campaign proved excellent, as the club was always in the top positions. On June 13, 2009, after beating SD Huesca 2-1 at home, it achieved promotion to the top division for the first time in its history. In the final day of the competition, a draw at Celta de Vigo proved enough for the title, as CD Tenerife lost 1-2 home to CD Castellón, in the final minute.

95038226.png

Xerez CD Team:

GK Chema

DF Juan Redondo

DF Jesús Mendoza (captain)

MF Álex Bergantiños (on loan from Deportivo)

DF Leandro Gioda (on loan from Independiente)***

MF Vicente Moreno

DF Francis

FW Antoñito***

FW Mario Bermejo

MF Emilio Viqueira***

MF Momo***

GK Renan (on loan from Valencia)***

MF Víctor Sánchez (on loan from FC Barcelona)

FW Fabián Orellana (on loan from Udinese)***

MF Emiliano Armenteros (on loan from Sevilla)

FW Míchel Ángel

DF David Prieto (on loan from Sevilla)***

MF Carlos Calvo

MF Abel Gómez

FW Giancarlo Maldonado (on loan from Atlante)

DF José Manuel Casado (on loan from Sevilla)***

DF Aythami (on loan from Deportivo)***

MF Yaya Keita (on loan from RC Lens)

GK Toni

*** - STAR PLAYERS!

As you can see there are many players they have loaned and Xerez have pretty damn decent team!

Survival shouldnt be an issue, but it should be the priority.

Players to sell:

Redondo

Giancarlo Maldonado

And some other dead wood as money is very much needed.

Xerez dont start of with any money, but if you adjust the budget you'll get around 4 Million in the bank.

Players to sign:

Tore Reginiussen- DC - contract has run out

Lauren- DR - free

Matias Defederico- FC - loan

Antonio Barrilla- AML - loan

Keko- AMRC - 0 Pounds

Andrade- DC - free

And any other cheap players, selling either Michel or Bornejo and buying Martin Palermo is a good idea, as Antonito and Martin Palermo are hammering them in for me!

Also look to Loan, as the budget is tight!

Recommended Tactic:

4-2-4 or 4-4-2

Youngsters to Watch out for:

NONE! :mad: TERRIBLE YOUTH SYSTEM LOOK TO UPGRADE YOUTH FACILITIES!

Only player who is half decent is Victor Sanchez, but not particularly good :(

LET THE GAMES BEGIN, IT SHOULD BE FUN!

I've also started a game with the challenge of surviving in La Liga with Xerez.

Started things off with the usual:

Team

Playing with a solid 4-4-2 formation, mainly focused on a good TM (Michel) and 2 attacking wingers( Momo, Armenteros / Orellana). Kicked things off with a few friendly games:

Xerez v Xerez"B" 5-0

Viqueira p, Armenteros, Maldonado, Calvo, Bermejo p

Xerez v Real madrid 0-2

Xerez v Sevilla 1-2

Casado missed p, Michel p

Arcos v Xerez 0-6

Michel 2x, Antoñito, Lukaku, Gueye + 1 OG by Arcos

Puerto Real v Xerez 0-3

Antoñito 2x, Viqueira

Moreno sent off 23'

Roteña v Xerez 0-6

Maldonado 2x, Michel p, Lukaku 2x, Gueye

Cultural Leonesa v Xerez 0-2

Maldonado, Otamendi

At. Sanlugeño v Xerez 0-4

Otamendi, Michel 2x, Viqueira

Had some really good games. We played well versus Real and Sevilla (we deserved a draw that game atleast!). Crushed the smaller teams. Going into the season with confidence!

Transfers In

Snapped up Gueye for free. He seems like a promising striker. Bought Rene Krhin from Inter for 400k, he will hopefully be leading my midfield.

Then bought Silviu Lung jr from U Craiova for 250k for a backup. Best transfer so far is Nicolás Otamendi from Vélez. I was glad to get his signature for a whopping €5m!

Last but certainly not least brought in Romélu Lukaku from Anderlecht. Thé most promising youngster in my squad, €1.8m.

Future transfers:

Michelangelo Albertazzi(550k) will be joining us after his loan, aswell as Matteo Darmian(220k). I think these guys can cover up my problems for the left and right back positions. Tore Reginiussen will be joining us after the end of his contract for free. I think I can use him as a solid backup.

Transfers Out

Mario Bermejo to Liverno, 300k upfront and 1.5m over 1 year.

Chema to Empoli for a merely 100k.

Results La Liga

First match was a homegame against Malaga. Sadly we were without our best scoring striker upfront, Michel. He twisted his knee on the training field.

So I decided I'd give Lukaku a chance to see if he was up for it. After all, he played well for us in the pre season.

I fielded an attacking 4-4-2 with our wingers pressing up. We played some good football, but no goals in the first 20 minutes. I then shouted to my boys to push up more and get that ball forward.

A good 1-2 between Lukaku and Antoñito gave antoñito the space he needed to bag the 1-0. 24 minutes played.

We then pushed up more because Malaga was clearly not expecting our attacking game. Otamendi and Prieto gave their attackers nothing so we could push up even more.

A long ball forward down the right side of the pitch gave Momo a chance to show his dribbling skills. Which he did. From the back of the line he passed the ball back to Romélu Lukaku who turned away from his defender and scored the 2-0 with a powerful shot. What a debut! 39'

I then decided to sit back a little more, slowing down the tempo. We had to do this because Prieto coudn't resist bringing down the opposing striker for his second yellow of the game.

In the extra time of the first half Abel showed why he should be playing instead of the veteran Viqueira by scoring the 3-0 with a wonderfull banana shot from 20 yards.

In half time I brought in Krhin and Gioda for a 4-4-1 formation. Antoñito decided 3-0 wasn't enough and scored the 4-0 with a lovely solo action in the 79th minute.

We are now celebrating after this superb start of the season. The fans have high hopes now, can we make it?

Alright a little update:

After our convincing 4-0 win over Malaga the whole team wanted to continue with the confidence:

Racing away:

A stupid foul made by Otamendin gave Racing the lead with a penalty. Antoñito pulled it even right after the break, Racing also received a red card for bringing down Michel but we coudn't convert the advantage of having a men more into a goal. 1-1

Next up was Deportivo away:

We were playing a good match. We were going for one point atleast. We had some chances but Antoñito wasn't having his best day. 10 mins after the break Otamendi again gave away a stupid penalty. We could not score for the tie we wanted. 0-1

After those 2 poor matches we were facing Zaragoza at home. I told the press we would go on full offensive right off the bat. Also told Otamendi I had faith in him as he was a little down after 2 penalties. He told me he'd improve his game.

And he did.

6 minutes played and he banged in a great header from a corner.

The team showed they were frustrated about losing points, we completly outplayed Zaragoza. 5-2

Valladolid away:

Team was confident for this match. We were playing a good game, had a lot of chances but we just coudn't score. Their goalie wasn't helping either with a personal match rating of 8.2. Eventually lost the game due to a corner where Otamendi lost the header versus Prieto of Valladolid. 0-1

Next up was Valencia at home :

Valencia had a lot of injuries so I just told the team to go for it. Attack and put the pressure on. We had a lot of chances again, but no goals. Otamendi (who else..) gave away his THIRD penalty of this season. They sealed it and the game was terrible from there on. 3 clear cut chances in the final 30 minutes but not the goal we deserved for keeping Valencia out of the game. 0-1

Now sitting 14th in the Liga.

6 played, 2 wins, 1 draw, 3 losses. 10 goals for, 6 against.

We're really lacking the finishing of our chances, and once we are behind we usually cannot recover. Overall am pretty happy. Hope to improve a little more though. We're aiming for a place between 10th and 15th.

Right another update from Spain;

After Valencia at home we faced Sporting at home

We were attacking from the start, missing 2 one on ones again. Sporting had a great counter after one of our corners which resulted in an early goal. We then tried to get a goal back as we clearly were dominating the game. Sadly Otamendi brought down a striker in our box for another penalty and 0-2 down. Michel pulled one back for us but we coudn't recover. I threw a pair of football shoes towards Otamendi's head for giving away another penalty. 1-2

Next up was Mallorca away. Told the boys to just attack and press up more because Mallorca was in poor form, having conceded most of the whole league so far. Antoñito had a good game scoring twice. 2-0

We then faced Espanyol at home. Espanyol was doing suprisingly well so far, sitting third in the league undefeated as of yet. Antoñito felt it was time to bring down Espanyol hitting the net twice again. Michel sealed the deal. A solid 3-0 win!

Next up was a cup game. We drew Tenerife. First leg was an away game. We lost 0-1, due to a penalty. Guess who gave it away? Nicolas ****ing otamendi, yesssss.

Next up was Real Madrid away. Fielded a b squad as I had little confidence in getting anything from this match and had several players on a yellow card away from a ban. We did well in the first half, only down 0-1. The second half I got a little too optimistic and told the players we might get a draw here. Real showed us why we are relegation candidates, eventually losing 1-7!!

After this ass whooping we faced Tenerife away for the liga. After losing the cup game I felt we had a good chance. We were leading 1-0 after 6 minutes from a corner. We played really well creating lots of chances, but sadly we coudn't convert them to the goal we needed for a comfertable lead. Tenefire clawed one back before half time. I told the boys I was happy and that we had a good chance of winning. Poor defending after the break made sure our hopes and dreams were sent back to the dressing room. 1-2

Tenerife home cup. After losing 1-0 in the away game and losing 2-1 in the away game we were out for revenge. I felt my team played so much better in the 2 games but we just needed a little more luck in finishing. We were up 2-0 before the game hit the half hour mark. Sadly a missed interception was punished by Tenerife. We coudnt score the 3-1 we needed in the second half. I think we had no less than 10 shots on goal during the second half, hitting the woodwork 2 times. Not our day, losing 2-2 on away goals..

Villareal was knocking on our door few days later. We gladly invited them, as we felt like we could grab atleast a point for our home crowd. We had tons of chances but their goalie, Diego López, had the best game of his life I think. We just coudn't bag it, missing 3!!! one on ones. Ofcourse rafael vd vaart showed us how good he is scoring a magnificent strike from no less than 35 yards. Thank god Antoñito had a good game making it equal before the break. During our break I complimented the team, except Michel (he missed everything, including a open goal shot). Told Michel I wanted him to prove why I should keep him on my list. 15 minutes before the final whistle went Michel won the aerial challenge for the 3 points! 2-1.

Hoping to continue our winning form we faced Osasuna away. They were sitting 19th in the liga so I felt like we could grab 3 points here. Fielding an attacking formation. Antoñito missed about every chance he got, including 4 one on ones. Ofcourse Osasuna scored the 1-0, so our morale went down. The boys coudn't turn it around in the second half, missing chance after chance again. Eventually we got hit on the counter for a dissappointing 2-0 loss. 0-2

Were now sitting 14th in the league, played 13. Winning 5 games, drew 1, lost 7. 20-20 on goals. I am content so far. Wish we could play a little more consistent though, and cut down our errors(Otamendi!!).

I think we can still turn it around even though the media is already speculating on how long I'd keep my job..

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived