Story Ideas & Discussion Thread

Terk

Death can be a good addition to a story if written tastefully (if that's the right word) and in the right context. If however, I felt anybody was offended or they said they were not happy I would change

As Viperk said, I've had three deaths (four if you count the one in the past) and it seems to have worked well for me :)

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably taking the plunge on 09 shortly, and also diving headlong into storytelling.

I actually had begun a story following my Dafuge challenge game, but I was using Hendon, and two other Hendon stories popped up days before I readied for launch, so I decided to scrap it.

However, it turned out to be a good thing, as it's gotten my creative juices flowing. I've had some real intersting ideas to create stories from unorthodox origins.

Probably 99% of the stories are told from either a first or third-person viewpoint, with the manager being the central character. I'm interested in developing a story from a different perspective, from somebody in another key role at the club, or possibly with no official affiliation at all.

So far, three ideas stick out in my head. Once I get the game, I'll start exploring the storytelling potential, but I'd love feedback on what people think about the potential of these ideas.

1. I really enjoyed Spav's "Many Roads to Johannesburg" story before its demise; thought it was a really interesting approach. He's given me his blessing to take on a story in a similar vein. I plan on incorporating a little more detail than he did. I'm thinking of either using the European competitions (Champions League, UEFA) as the focal point (probably using the 2009-2010 version, the first with the new formats). Or, I'll use the FA Cup, since keeping track of the goings-on in multiple countries at once could get unruly.

2. Telling a story through the eyes of a player on a particular club. I've seen this as a possibility before, and I think it's interesting, because a transfer can completely transform the story, much the way a manager switching clubs does. However, I want to take it one step further and build my story around a player that is part of the youth setup of a club. I think this has myriad possibilities; how will the young upstart mature and progress as a player, as a person? Will he live his dream and make it to the big club, or will he have to leave for another locale to find his place? Or, will the dream die as the monumental odds become too much to bear?

3. My final idea incorporates the other two, and really could be number 3 and number 4 on this list. For this one, the central character would be a reporter. Amaroq and 10-3, for example, have created vivid characters of reporters in their stories, but we've never seen things from the other side of the microphone. I've thought of maybe crafting a story around a beat reporter for some sleepy countryside newspaper, keeping tabs on the local club, and going from there.

Or, following an entire league from the perspective of an entire league. The story would basically read like a sports section, with the weekly results, news and notes, and opinions and analysis. With some stories, you only get the viewpoint of the season from one source. But there's 20-odd teams fighting the same fight. What are they going through? How do they respond to the moves you've made?

Looking forward to feedback.

I like the thought about the central character being a journalist, rather than the manager. It would interesting, like you have said, to see what it was like on the other side - to try and be the first to get the latest scoop, as it gives a massive bonus. It's a brilliant idea.

Your idea for the main character being a player has been done by a couple of people before - but I've simply thought that the emotions of the player haven't truly been portrayed in the story. If you were to do this, I'd like to see the emotions that the player feels during events - being called up from the academy, being on the bench for the first time, the first appearance etc. .

By the way, welcome to the Football Manager Stories forum, clrkaitken!

Would anybody be offended if I posted a story which involved a lot of death? Do we have any rules against that sort of thing?

Yes, it will be related to football, in fact it revolves around football, but in the update I've done so far there's been four deaths already (though tbf I don't think that rate will be maintained).

Hard to imagine how anyone could find death offensive, but I guess some people find things more offensive than others. Certainly it might be considered depressing, but then people who don't like that don't read it, just like any story. My favourite book starts killing off key characters about half way through and then just carries on in that fashion until the end when there is only 1 main character left. Normally I might find that a bit too depressing, but in the context it fitted in perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got tips on writing in the third person? I'm finding it much more difficult than writing in the first, which I did for my previous story, and fear that my third person style is merely my first person style with the words changed.

Anyone got tips, pointers, and thoughts on how to do it/approach it?

I find it easiest when writing in the third person to use an omniscient narrator, I like to make that distinction that a third person story sees more of the world than a first person. Certainly writing with that wider scope tends to stop me from just writing a first person story with the words changed.

Try to remember that, in the first person, you can't write the internal thoughts of characters who aren't the one from whose perspective you're writing the story.

Therefore, when you write third person, you can add all the internal thoughts of every character, if you choose, especially when people talk to one another. If it feels like you're writing first person with only the words changed, then consider any dialogue to be two-sided and write the thoughts of both parties. For example,

Harry Redknapp called his offsider, Tony Adams, into his office. Although, he didn't want to do it, Harry knew it was something that must be done before the media got wind of it. "Tony," he said, "I've got the chance to manage Spurs. I'm leaving."

Tony took the news stoically. However, inside, he was jumping up and down for joy. He'd finally get his chance to manage and wouldn't need to drop three leagues like his former opponent, Paul Ince, was required to do at Macclesfield in order to get his first crack at being the head gaffer.

This is very brief, but I hope it helps to point out the main difference. In first person, you could only write Harry's side of the conversation (if you were Harry) and describe Adams' response from how you (as Harry) saw Adams react (stoic) instead of the third person which allows me to describe both reactions to the dialogue, including from "inside Adams' mind" (like my short example indicates).

I use it to create dramatic irony. Over the course of the story, the view points of more characters are inputted, with the protagonist not seeing this. Then when they all come together, the reader has a sense of what is going to happen (though they can't be sure) but the protagonist doesn't.

By contrast, in a first person story, it would all be a bolt from the blue that would smack of oh-help-there's-no-climax-I'd-better-invent-one-quickly.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, just because it doesn't inhabit a fictional world it isn't any less of a story. As long as it conforms to what is expected of a story around here (ie, not a season update) then I think it'd be good to read something long term from that perspective.

• 3 weeks later...

I have plans underway to write my first story. I have a broad outline of what I am looking to do - it does depend on how my game pans out but I hope (eek!) fluid enough to roll along with the story.

My 'problem' is I have created a backround for my story which spans 20 years, which is obviously a hell of a long time - currently I am re-working it but I think there will be a significant introduction. Do we think this will be a problem? I hope it adds depth to my character and explains how they came to being.

Any thoughts? On this subject preferably not on life in general.........

parklife - it's fantastic to see that you've created such a detailed background for your story. However, placing it all right at the start will do no favours for you - there won't be much more regarding your characters that we won't already know about when you actually reach the start of the game story.

What I'd recommend you do is pepper small sections of the background into parts of the game story - for example, one of the main character's friends brings up part of it in a conversation - then you could possibly do a flashback to that time and section of the background. :D

Hope that helps you out.

I have plans underway to write my first story. I have a broad outline of what I am looking to do - it does depend on how my game pans out but I hope (eek!) fluid enough to roll along with the story.

My 'problem' is I have created a backround for my story which spans 20 years, which is obviously a hell of a long time - currently I am re-working it but I think there will be a significant introduction. Do we think this will be a problem? I hope it adds depth to my character and explains how they came to being.

Any thoughts? On this subject preferably not on life in general.........

No problems here. Provided you stay with the work and carry it through, I'd say go for it. In my own case, I posted about forty pages of writing in Rat Pack before writing the first friendly, and that's a continuation story.

Since my formal request in the discussion thread has yielded only 2 replies, I shall post here.

I am doing an omnibus of short stories to be posted here on the forum, with each short story possibly occupying 5 posts or more(of moderate length). If you have any story ideas, feel free to email them to me at isaacneo2006@hotmail.com

You will be given top billing. You may also write a few paragraphs if you like as a beginning, or if you have an ending in mind.

Regarding the journalist idea as stated a few posts above, I am also thinking of starting something like that. But one thing at a time, eh?

Since my formal request in the discussion thread has yielded only 2 replies, I shall post here.

I am doing an omnibus of short stories to be posted here on the forum, with each short story possibly occupying 5 posts or more(of moderate length). If you have any story ideas, feel free to email them to me at isaacneo2006@hotmail.com

You will be given top billing. You may also write a few paragraphs if you like as a beginning, or if you have an ending in mind.

Regarding the journalist idea as stated a few posts above, I am also thinking of starting something like that. But one thing at a time, eh?

How will this go then? What exactly will we need to provide?

Give an example.

For example, you give me a story idea about a failed journalist who starts flaming a club like Arsenal in the newspaper. It is then revealed a mystery person is pulling all the strings and paying the crooked journalist to ruin the reputation of manager, club and even chairman(Idea already taken by SCIAG). I then flesh out all the details and write it in a more detailed way and post it in the thread.

Top billing will be given for example:

The Crooked Ways

Story Idea by BenArsenal

Written by Goofus

I'd thought I'd better run this through here first, to get 'approval'.

I was reading through my old 'story' yesterday (Ah, good times. :o), and was suddenly thinking about reviving it.

However, this time, I actually have a game on FM running, so I was thinking that, perhaps now, I can adapt my story to the FM game I have currently.

Thoughts? Is it a go-er or no go-er?

We used to have an unwritten rule that short stories were to be no more than five posts, none of which should be more than about 1,000 words. Lately some stories have gone pretty well over that but I've been considering a bit of a clampdown recently. And it needs to have more than one post as well, otherwise it's considered an anecdote.

On the second matter, I'd start a new paragraph for 'I started running'.

don't know whether it would be allowed or anyone would be interested, but from more of a lurker of FMS point of view, I've had a good idea (well at least I think so anyway). I've started a lot of stories on this forum, all of which I've not been able to finish because I've lost interest in them. But how about if a group of people 'signed up' to each be part of one big story. I don't know what it would be about, or whether it would be possible, but say someone posted for the story for one week, then uploaded the save game, and someone else carried it on for the next week? They wouldn't have to finish a season, they could just do it at their own pace.

Don't know if it has been tried before, or whether anyone will think it's any good or not?

sorry posted this in the community thread, didn't realize there was one of these.

Paul, I'm sure there would be interest, but I'm not sure how succesful it would be. There'd be little or no direction, the types of updates would swing wildly. People's ability to write in such a small space of time is limited- if you look, you'll see that most stories are updated maybe twice or three times a week.

With a two week timeframe, you've got a better chance of it working. However, I prefer BobBev's idea of having different writers coming in with other perspectives.

• 1 month later...

I hope it is ok I bump this? I really enjoy writing but never really done anything on other forums as they like to focus soley on results, I want to write a proper story. It would be my first time and no doubt full of errors :p, so has anyone got any hints or tips?

I need to decide what team to do it on first. :D

Alot of the stories don't just soley rely on the results. Look at some of Tenthrees work for example

I always find it easier to write about a team I like so start a story with the team you support.

One last tip.. Write the story on windows works or a program like that then you can get it spell check and grammar checked before you send it too the forum..

Hey people. As is popular at the moment, im currently in the planning stages of a new story which will be the basis of a sign up from you guys. But instead of being players, your'e going to be my directors. :D

You will get a choice in the signing of players, but your choice will only consist from those names given on a list by the manager. You will also get a say in the line up, picking or naming players that you want in the lineup, or would like to see given a try. You will not have to name a full squad, unless you so wish. Naming just two players is fine. If no one picks a player for a certain position, eg CB, then the manager can choose whoever he likes without repurcussions from the board.

As of yet, the idea is to also allow you to vote for which club is purchased. At the moment the choice consists of four sides;

• Hull City
  • Portsmouth
  • Newcastle United
  • Fulham

As for you signing up as directors, if you are interested, please send me a personal message detailing the following info.

Full Name:

Nationality:

Where You're Fortune Was Made: (This is just to provide a backdrop to the story. If you dont have one in mind, Ill think some up.)

Choice of Club to be Taken Over: (Look above for the four options.)

Example!

Full Name: Gavin Renwick

Nationality: English

Where You're Fortune Was Made: Selling Greasy Burgers from a Van.

Choice of Club to be Taken Over: Newcastle United

So PM me if you're interested in the idea and signing up as a director :)

WHat about Afghanistan Mark? You could use the war as an advantage in your story by including things such as the diffculty in travelling on a bus to the stadium ect. ect. Not sure if it's your style, But could work really well if done properly!

Looking for an International story to do on FM07, so I can defend my FMS Award (Got to think long term lol)

Anyone got any suggestions....don't fancy doing England again

Get thee to the USA, Mark. We could use a competent boss over here!

Get thee off my story idea. I have a USA international story almost ready to go :p

Mark, if you're looking for something that hasn't much been covered before, then Asian or South American sides would do you well.

Archived