Need of new motherboard/processor?

I've had problems with both the demo of 2009 and 2010. Both times i have trouble with an enormous amount of lag and freezing. I am someone who doesn't buy a new computer, but I put new parts into it. Since i have this pc (must be seven years or more), i put new stuff in it. Between (the demo's)FM09 and FM10, i've changed my hard disc, a new DVD-drive, and a new graphics card. It hasn't changed anything for FM (though for other games it did), so i reckon the problem must be with the parts i have never changed during all those years: my CPU and my motherboard.

I'm not an expert on hardware, so i ask the question here: Would a change of motherboard or CPU (i'm prepared to change one of them, not both) solve my problems? (and give me improved prestations?) I post my specs here:

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 11/5/2009, 09:59:29

Machine name: ---

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435)

Language: Dutch (Regional Setting: Dutch)

System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD

System Model: MS-7367

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.6GHz

Memory: 2048MB RAM

Page File: 662MB used, 3278MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series

Thanks for your advice guys

When are you experiencing your problems ? How many leagues have you got loaded and with what database size? With that setup you should easily beable to play without any problems, imho.

I don't have the game, because i had problems with the demo (both in 2009 and 2010).

But the problems occure all the time, even with 3D completly turned off.

I know this sysem should be able to run the game, but it must be some kind of compatibility problem. When i bought ME II TW Gold a few months ago, the game constantly resetted my computer. Turned out my graphics card was incompatible with the game. So i think the same is happening now, but since it has to be a really big coincidence to be tow times the graphics card, i think that it must be the in the oldest parts i have

I'm assuming you've run a virus/malware scan and defragged your system drive? If not, do so.

Update graphics driver aswell, maybe that is the problem.

Check your CPU temp in bios, the resetting when under high strain could be symptomatic of an overheating issue.

That machine should have no problems running FM10 demo.

* Do a scan with an online virus scanner like trend micros housecall, then run either spybot search and destroy or malwarebytes antimalware.

* Run disk defragmenter and analyse your drives to see if they are fragged, if fragged, defrag them.

* Download and run a benchmarker like sisoft sandra and compare your benchmark against a simular setup, if your score is much lower you know there is something wrong with ur hardware or software.

I sent a mail to SI about two weeks ago, and they recommened me pretty much the same: defrag your disc, scan for viruses, and download the latest drivers.

I did all those and replied that on the email, but not a word from them since then. Probably too busy with the release or so.

Other games (Assassin's Creed, Empire:TW,..) work fine on high settings. When i ran BIOS, it said 30 celsius. But overheating isn't the problem, because when i had hose problems with MEII TW, overheating was the first thing that came to mind. Besides, FM10 starts lagiing even in the opening scene, not even time to get overheated

I don't know what do to really. Freezing and lagging is usely because of too high settings/low specs, but they don't apply here. I think a new processor will be my best chance of solving this, but what do you guys think?

If the processor works fine with other games, why replace it? I mean you could give me your X2 if it happens to be Socket 939, and give it a go with a new one, but I reckon thats a waste of time.

btw, if you haven't already done it a re-install of FM would be my next suggestion

If the processor works fine with other games, why replace it? I mean you could give me your X2 if it happens to be Socket 939, and give it a go with a new one, but I reckon thats a waste of time.

btw, if you haven't already done it a re-install of FM would be my next suggestion

My graphics card worked fine with other games, except with ME II TW it was completly hopeless(my computer resetted after 2 minutes). I know my specs are good, but it's clear that it's some kind of compatibility problem. both 09 and 10 demo didn't worked, and between those two i have changed my hard disc and my graphics card. Processor/motherboard is only thing that's left i think that could cause this lagging and freezing

Besides, a pc going faster is never bad. Offcours i don't go for just a little bit faster

Do you use dual monitors? If so make sure no windows go over both screens, that can create some serious gfx lag.

I use dual view and I remember I had a problem with huge lag in EVE online.

Turns out one of my windows touched the other desktop a littlebit, as soon as I moved the window so the whole window was at monitor1 then lag disapeared in EVE:online

Besides, a pc going faster is never bad. Offcours i don't go for just a little bit faster

Sounds to me like someone needs an excuse to upgrade, don't worry I won't tell your wife/girlfriend about it ;).

Like I say, if the X2 is Socket 939, Germany is not too far from Belgium.. and ...well, you know I was so nice in helping with your upgrade:D.

Sounds to me like someone needs an excuse to upgrade, don't worry I won't tell your wife/girlfriend about it ;).

Like I say, if the X2 is Socket 939, Germany is not too far from Belgium.. and ...well, you know I was so nice in helping with your upgrade:D.

No excuse really if you pay it from your own money.

@ butters: No i don't use dual screen

Leaving your geography aside, is it wort upgrading, and/or could my old CPu cause compatibility issues?

I personally can't see how a cpu can cause compatability issues with a game. If you upgrade and it helps I will be surprised, put it that way.

What programmes do you have running in the background? start> run> msconfig startup tab. Too much dross running can lead to slow performance. Alternatively task manager> processes, lots of memory hungry apps?

I personally can't see how a cpu can cause compatability issues with a game. If you upgrade and it helps I will be surprised, put it that way.

What programmes do you have running in the background? start> run> msconfig startup tab. Too much dross running can lead to slow performance. Alternatively task manager> processes, lots of memory hungry apps?

Normally i don't have any programs running, except mozilla firefox. And even without the lagging keeps occuring.

If background programs cause the game to slow down, wouldn't that be with all games?

Archived