[FM10] The Kids of Today

Nobby_McDonald

A new home for me due to using the competitions editor to add more lower leagues. Some may know me from my Billericay epics in the LLM forum. Here's my FM2010 game...

Version: FM2010 with patch 1

Database: Official SI

Edits: Added the next two levels in England (Northern, Southern & Isthmian leagues) and adapted the FA Cup to include the First Qualifying Round. A few cosmetic changes to team short names (as I much prefer seeing Sheffield United than Sheff Utd :D)

Leagues loaded (22 levels in 9 nations)...

England to Northern, Southern & Isthmian First Division regionals

Scotland to Third Division

Northern Ireland to Second Division

Ireland to First Division

Welsh Premier League

French Ligue 1

German Bundesliga

Italian Serie A

Spanish La Liga

Updates will be coming at the end of each season with any noteworthy snippets that might occur. With the exception of using the competitions editor, I will be playing the game in the same LLM style I have always played. My starting team is Kidsgrove Athletic in the Northern Premier League First Division South.

My aim with any save I start is to play it for as long as possible and feasible. Usually happens until the next version comes out!

Congratulations on the huge success of your challenge over the years by the way. It's not quite to LLM ethics (although not far away) which is why I have never participated in it.

My aim with any save I start is to play it for as long as possible and feasible. Usually happens until the next version comes out!

Congratulations on the huge success of your challenge over the years by the way. It's not quite to LLM ethics (although not far away) which is why I have never participated in it.

Any idea on a certain career path or are you just going to play and see where it takes you?

I have two career paths I follow in my saves.

One is a regular career, where I become as successful as I can managing as good a club as I can.

The other is if I take over Billericay Town where I try to make them as good as I am able to. I've done that on three and a half versions of CM/FM so far.

Kidsgrove are the nearest team to me that play at level 8 of the English league structure, they play in the North end of my hometown. Newcastle Town are even closer in level 9, but it's not possible to create accurate promotion and relegation between levels 8 and 9 currently. All level 9 clubs can become playable though in my save.

I have two career paths I follow in my saves.

One is a regular career, where I become as successful as I can managing as good a club as I can.

The other is if I take over Billericay Town where I try to make them as good as I am able to. I've done that on three and a half versions of CM/FM so far.

Kidsgrove are the nearest team to me that play at level 8 of the English league structure, they play in the North end of my hometown. Newcastle Town are even closer in level 9, but it's not possible to create accurate promotion and relegation between levels 8 and 9 currently. All level 9 clubs can become playable though in my save.

Cant wait for this Nobby, I always followed your games in LLM :thup:

It'll be interesting to see how this works out long term with the extra leagues. I was tempted myself, but in the end I got scared that I'd break it somehow!

I enjoyed your LLM save last year, so looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Information about Kidsgrove Athletic...

Clough Hall, Kidsgrove holds 4500 with 400 seats.

The club have basic training facilities, no youth facilities and basic corporate facilities.

They have a 3 year kit sponsorship deal worth £703 per season which runs out in June 2010.

Kidsgrove are at the highest they have ever been in the English pyramid, having won the North West Counties Premier League in 2001/2 to be promoted to the Northern Premier League First Division, moving into the South division when the non league section of the pyramid was restructured. 2006/7 was the club's best ever season when they finished in a highest ever position of 8th in the league and also got further in the FA Cup than ever before, reaching the Fourth Qualifying Round.

Kidsgrove's official website is http://www.kidsgroveathleticfc.co.uk/index.php

The chairman has given me a two year contract on £250 per week.

But you don't know how I've done tonight. ;)

I've played two sessions and I've only got half a dozen games of the season left. I've never played at this pace before. :D

May be Ian would be writing up a 200 year career by the time FM2011 comes out :D :D

Attendances seem realistic, with Kidsgrove averaging something like 180 in the first season. Wages seem accurate too, the top earner is on £130 per week with most ranging from £25 to £75. Somebody at my golf club last Saturday reckons that one of the players in real life is on £250 per week.

The FA Cup seemed to run fine. The only team to reach the Fourth Qualifying Round from outside the playable leagues was Wivenhoe Town, where they went out. Three non league teams reached Round Three and it was an all Premier League final.

Transfers can now be bought in hundreds of pounds, which bodes well. I've not got any money so can't spend anything.

Game so far seems well balanced, although the teams seem to have been mixed up a bit at level 8 in terms of geography for season 2. Lowestoft Town (not far from London) and Whitley Bay (north of Newcastle-upon-Tyne) have ended up in Northern Premier League First Division South for the second season. Penrith have appeared in Southern League First Division South West and they are based in Cumbria in the North West of England, as have Dunston Federation who play in Gateshead. I hope this doesn't keep occuring...

2009/10 - Kidsgrove Athletic (Northern Premier League First Division South)

Board: Safe mid table

Media: 16th

Bookies: 40-1

Season tickets: 39

My first contract is for 2 years and is worth £250 per week. Not bad.

We make a good start, and we briefly reach second in the table. In January, we have a goal drought to rival real droughts in Ethiopia. We come back, but then fail to win any of our last four games and miss out on the playoffs.

We were embarrassed in the FA Cup but defeated higher division teams in Gainsborough and Alfreton away in the FA Trophy and we were the only team at our level left in the competition when we got knocked out.

Northern Premier League First Division South: 6th, 63 points

FA Cup First Qualifying Round: Wivenhoe Town 5 Kidsgrove Athletic 0

FA Trophy Second Round: Altrincham 1 Kidsgrove Athletic 0

Roll of Honour

PREMIER LEAGUE

Champions: Chelsea

Champions League qualifiers: Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United

Relegated: Hull City, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Portsmouth

CHAMPIONSHIP

Champions: Newcastle United

Promoted: Middlesbrough, West Bromwich Albion

Relegated: Sheffield Wednesday, Barnsley, Doncaster Rovers

LEAGUE ONE

Champions: Leeds United

Promoted: Southend United, Norwich City

Relegated: Stockport County, Yeovil Town, Exeter City, Brentford

LEAGUE TWO

Champions: Notts County

Promoted: Crewe Alexandra, Rotherham United, Chesterfield

Relegated: Macclesfield Town, Bournemouth

CONFERENCE NATIONAL

Champions: Histon

Promoted: Stevenage Borough

Relegated: Grays Athletic, Tamworth, Eastbourne Borough, Chester City

CONFERENCE NORTH

Champions: Southport

Promoted: Alfreton Town

Relegated: Harrogate Town, Stalybridge Celtic, Farsley Celtic

CONFERENCE SOUTH

Champions: Bath City

Promoted: Dover Athletic

Relegated: Maidenhead United, Lewes, Thurrock

ISTHMIAN PREMIER LEAGUE

Champions: Carshalton Athletic

Promoted: Sutton United

Relegated: Boreham Wood, Aveley, Harrow Borough, Waltham Abbey

NORTHERN PREMIER LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION

Champions: Bradford Park Avenue

Promoted: Boston United

Relegated: Worksop Town, Buxton, Ossett Town, Durham City

SOUTHERN PREMIER LEAGUE

Champions: Farnborough

Promoted: Truro City

Relegated: Leamington, Rugby Town, Evesham United, Stourbridge

ISTHMIAN FIRST DIVISION NORTH

Champions: Cheshunt

Promoted: Brentwood Town

Relegated: VCD Athletic, Ilford

ISTHMIAN FIRST DIVISION SOUTH

Champions: Folkestone Invicta

Promoted: Metropolitan Police

Relegated: Corinthian-Casuals, Mertsham

NORTHERN PREMIER LEAGUE FIRST DIVISION NORTH

Champions: Curzon Ashton

Promoted: Leigh Genesis

Relegated: Warrington Town, Trafford

NORTHERN PREMIER LEAGUE FIRST DIVISION SOUTH

Champions: Chasetown

Promoted: Sheffield

Relegated: Grantham Town, Spalding United

SOUTHERN FIRST DIVISION MIDLANDS

Champions: Bromsgrove Rovers (despite a 10 points deduction)

Promoted: Slough Town

Relegated: Soham Town Rangers, Beaconsfield SYCOB

SOUTHERN FIRST DIVISION SOUTH/WEST

Champions: Uxbridge

Promoted: Frome Town

Relegated: Thatcham Town, Bedfont Green

FA CUP

West Ham United 0 Chelsea 1

LEAGUE CUP

Liverpool 3 Chelsea 2

FA TROPHY

Oxford United 1p Mansfield Town 1

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

Inter Milan 1 Manchester United 0

Santiago Bernabéu, Madrid

EUROPA LEAGUE

Benfica 0 Arsenal 2

HSH-Nordbank-Arena, Hamburg

2010 World Cup

Hosts: South Africa

Holders: Italy

GROUP STAGE

Japan, Tunisia, Australia, Sweden, United States, Argentina, South Africa, North Korea, Chile, South Korea, Denmark, Mali, Ukraine, Costa Rica

SECOND ROUND

Slovakia 1 Ivory Coast 3e

Brazil 3 Italy 1

Turkey 1e Switzerland 0

Colombia 1 Cameroon 0

France 2 Russia 1

England 1 Germany 2

Netherlands 0 Spain 3

Mexico 0 Algeria 1

QUARTER FINALS

Ivory Coast 0 Colombia 1

Brazil 2 Turkey 1

France 4 Algeria 2

Germany 0 Spain 1

SEMI FINALS

Colombia 1 Spain 1p

Brazil 0 France 2

THIRD PLACE PLAYOFF

Colombia 0 Brazil 2

FINAL

Spain 0 France 1

Soccer City, Johannesburg

Right, I've come across two things that are now bugging me, and I'm going to have to make a request/ask something that will shock Jason, Ollie and Remco and the others who have come across from LLM. That or possibly restart due to number 2.

1. Having researched a little through the fora, it seems that there is a general problem with the game assigning teams to the correct regional divisions, especially teams who get promoted through the playoffs or from the non playable leagues below level 8. This explains the odd divisions that Lowestoft, Whitley Bay, Dunston Federation and Penrith, and possibly some others too. There appears little I can do about this before starting the game as the divisions have boundaries set in terms of towns at a North, South, East and West boundary point, and the towns and cities that clubs play in have latitude and longitude settings.

2. I've also made a glaring error setting up the leagues. For both the bottom two levels, I forgot to set the rules that seperate teams who are level on points (goal difference, goals scored etc) so the game at the moment is seperating them purely on alphabetical order. Major whoops.

So... is there a tool anywhere which enables me to alter the league rules once the save has started, and to alter the teams in the divisions at the start of each season to something more realistic/geographically correct?

On the positive side, the game does simulate the divisions themselves well in my opinion, and also my adjusted FA Cup where results seem to be fairly accurate with some surprise scores sprinkled about. There are a couple of drawbacks with the FA Cup though - replays are played 3 or 4 days after the first match rather than 9 or 10 days and no matches are moved for TV.

So Nobby, I'd say you have to start over - better now before you're too far in.

Shows even more that the files in question need to be well tested. Did you all make them yourself or were they part of the SI supplied files?

Btw, maybe you can try and find out if there is a way of regionalisation - I have the feeling I read somewhere that someone had spent ages on proper regionalisation.

Key point: Testing, testing, testing, before you get playing.

1. Having researched a little through the fora, it seems that there is a general problem with the game assigning teams to the correct regional divisions, especially teams who get promoted through the playoffs or from the non playable leagues below level 8. This explains the odd divisions that Lowestoft, Whitley Bay, Dunston Federation and Penrith, and possibly some others too. There appears little I can do about this before starting the game as the divisions have boundaries set in terms of towns at a North, South, East and West boundary point, and the towns and cities that clubs play in have latitude and longitude settings.

Nobby, could you report any issues with this on the bugs forum please?

Either on this thread - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?p=4161951#post4161951 - or one of your own.

I believe that SI are keen to see examples of this issue where the game is making strange decisions about assigning clubs to leagues. The more examples they get, the better they should be able to fix it. :)

There are a couple of drawbacks with the FA Cup though - replays are played 3 or 4 days after the first match rather than 9 or 10 days and no matches are moved for TV.

Is it just me or isn't this what happens in real life?

Normally, the tie takes place on a Saturday. If it is a draw, the replay is scheduled for the middle of the week, often Tuesday, and the draw is made on Monday with both teams in the hat. Check the FA website for further confirmation.

Regards,

C.

It is correct for the early rounds, but not when the league clubs enter. We can't seem to set replay dates though.

To be honest, I tend to lose interest once all of the non-League clubs get knocked out until the final, so you're probably right. :D

I'll get a list of clubs and post in the other thread.

Good man. SI are working on a solution so hopefully this will get sorted for the next patch.

Regards,

C.

Right... I'm knocking this save on the head. I'm going to download Uncle Ron's level 7 & 8 file as he's tested up to 2019 and has reported only a few issues with teams in wrong regional divisions... that and he'll have the correct sorting rules in levels 7 and 8. :D

If an esteemed mod can close this, I'll open a new thread for my new save as I will holiday for one, maybe two seasons.

Right... I'm knocking this save on the head. I'm going to download Uncle Ron's level 7 & 8 file as he's tested up to 2019 and has reported only a few issues with teams in wrong regional divisions... that and he'll have the correct sorting rules in levels 7 and 8. :D

If an esteemed mod can close this, I'll open a new thread for my new save as I will holiday for one, maybe two seasons.

No problem, I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out.

Archived