FM10SX - mac savegame editor/scout

littleblue50

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

once ive got version 1 finished and released I think I will make it open source.

The annoying thing about the cable is that it only cost 7 quid lol - I could have just gone to town and bought one but I didnt know there was a postal strike going to happen and now it's the principle of the thing so I'll wait for it to come instead of buying another :p

and by making it open source im not sure whether to set up the project on google code or just upload the source code for people to download...

If you are using git (and you should be, lol!) then you can't go wrong with github, and it's also free for open source.

If not, then Google Code is definitley the way to go =)

Looking forward to getting me hands on the editor, need to update someones second nationality !!

All better than anything I could do, but think Marchino's looks best...

Also has anyone got 'FM Mini Scout' working in 'Crossover' as I can't even seem to get it installed? Just need a scouting fix before this great application is released and don't have parallels or VM Fusion on my new iMac...

I couldn't disagree more re Stam's icon; whilst a well rendered image it doesn't fit the project as well as Marchino.

Whilst I can agree with the comment that Stam's "seems very professional and fits right in with other mac icons" in that it is a well rendered 3D image, much like Font Book or VLC, in other areas in doesn't, for me, come close to fitting the project; the iconography doesn't seem to say much about FMSX10, Football Manager or editing, especially in an OSX context.

Plus points for Marchino's are for me; the use of the cog motif, this denotes 'editing' in an OSX context - think of the System Preferences icon on the dock - and the shield, common in football badges. The icon also manages to say (with the icon image) everything else about the program using clear font and colour, something Stam's doesn't attempt with font or colour.

Of the six presented from Marchino immediately above this post my preference is for the top left design, I think it brings together all the successful iconography of development and is set in a square; this counters the plus for Stam's (looking at my dock I have a fairly even split, icons with 3D images/icons set in square) that it fits in with other OSX icons - they both 'fit' in with other icons, only one brings together various visual connotations from the FMSX10 project... that one is Marchino's. Good work. Great effort for all three summited in fact.

^ Okay I don't want to rag on Marchino's work because he worked hard on it. BUT, it looks like an icon for some FM fan site. It doesn't seem like it has any relation to Mac AT ALL. Just because it has a cog, it doesn't mean that it makes the better icon.

If you want to get technical as the dude above me wants to, the writing will lose it's readability as the dock and thus the icon become smaller.

And as much as Send Assistant may like you to believe, most icons designed for mac apps are NOT square.

As much as a continued design debate full of fluffy opines would be nice, I'm just looking forward to Royal Mail getting that cable delivered... a step closer now the icon is decided.

N.b. I didn't suggest it would like a Mac icon but that it's fits the context better, the cog (the example picked out) being part of the OSX semiotics... in answer to the getting technical charge, apologies - let's keep everything simple for the LCDs. I take your point re legibility (readability, for the LCD) - this might be solved by lowering the point size on some of the strokes.

To further fuel my not stop Square Icons Propaganda Machine may I say; I suggested the spread was even, not that they are all square or all 3D images... and:

dock.png

Thanks again to Littleblue for her hard work for us Mac users.

To further fuel my not stop Square Icons Propaganda Machine may I say; I suggested the spread was even, not that they are all square or all 3D images... and:

dock.png

Thanks again to Littleblue for her hard work for us Mac users.

My last post in response to this issue....your argument is flawed by the fact that most of the square icons you present are from a suite of applications (Adobe CS4).

Anyway, I'm not from England so I don't know how their mailing works but can't you get a tracking number lol?

Seeing as you're not from England dz3 I'll apologise if it seemed rude commenting on you flawed semantics.

Can't let your flawed design crit pass though... I said that the (now chosen) icon fits it's surroundings, and the fact that the icons picutered are from CS4 doesn't detract from this... design software, after all. What I'm saying with, sound analysis, is that I think one icon works (especially in it's OSX surroundings) better than another. You've failed to grasp that it's not square vs anything else but square vs 3D rendered images... but more importantly, the Marchino works better and more cohesively for the brief, design-wise.

Thanks for you trying so politely to continue the debate but you response(s) are limited it expertise and, overall, value when considered as a direct retort to the other comments and issues raised with regard to design and iconography.

If you have further interest: http://courses.csm.arts.ac.uk/

p.s. unless deliveries are recorded we just have to wait for the mail.

Seeing as you're not from England dz3 I'll apologise if it seemed rude commenting on you flawed semantics.

Can't let your flawed design crit pass though... I said that the (now chosen) icon fits it's surroundings, and the fact that the icons picutered are from CS4 doesn't detract from this... design software, after all. What I'm saying with, sound analysis, is that I think one icon works (especially in it's OSX surroundings) better than another. You've failed to grasp that it's not square vs anything else but square vs 3D rendered images... but more importantly, the Marchino works better and more cohesively for the brief, design-wise.

Thanks for you trying so politely to continue the debate but you response(s) are limited it expertise and, overall, value when considered as a direct retort to the other comments and issues raised with regard to design and iconography.

p.s. unless deliveries are recorded we just have to wait for the mail.

(I'm apologizing in advance to Marcos in advance for being critical...the critique is meant to be constructive but is mainly in response to this guy Send Assistant. Thanks for wanting to help out on littleblue's project)

Okay, stop with your xenophobic BS "Send Assistant". Just because I'm not from England, it doesn't mean I don't speak and understand English. And for someone who spouts their superiority in the language, you do not articulate your self well.....wtf does "if it seemed rude commenting on you flawed semantics" mean?!; if you are going to flame, at least try to articulate yourself.

As far as the substantive issues at play here, you haven't really proved your case by any stretch. First off, wtf does it mean to fit the icon to "its surroundings"?!? Every dock is unique and it is not as if the logo is part of a broader corporate identity...its just a friggin' icon. If you are referring to the cog, it is nowhere like the system preferences icon like you have suggested.

From the sounds of it, you seem to think you are some graphic design genius yet you couldn't pick on the poor use of typography or the dour colour scheme chosen. Arial black and stretched at that? Or the amount of unused white space. Or the amount of unutilized blue space. Look at most icons made for dock and chances are there is no font and yet you imply that fonts are absolutely necessary for icons. Wrong. If anything, it would be unadvisable considering the readability issues which crop up as icons becomes smaller...stroke weights would make it look even more amateur. Dude, you aren't the only one who has taken a design course or two. If anything, you need to enrol to that school you arrogantly posted a link to.

Apologies to Marcos and the rest of the community but I had to respond to the flame. Thanks for making the effort regardless, Marco. It is not my first choice but littleblue has chosen it and there are some other people who prefer it....and of course thats totally fine :-). Ultimately, it's her prerogative to pick what icon she wants. At the end of the day, its a dock icon ffs. I just had to respond to his arrogant, inflammatory post.

[...]

[...].

Totally off topic, but I just graduated from CSM this year. Did you go there? Noticing that you are from London, and putting 2 and 2 together.

On the icon front, It appears I missed the debate totally! I'll just add that if someone is not happy with the icon, it's easy enough to change, I changed all my Adobe CS4 icons.

Looking forward to the release :)

guys ... i think ... excuse is not necessary. everyone have his/her opinion and i think is fantastic. Dz3 don't apologize ... becouse when ... critics are glade and constructive is always good and fantastic for a good work. Really don't worry. The same for all.

Marchino

well its not here yet but the post comes at about 1:00 so we will see :)

Fingers crossed ... really want to edit this chaps second nationality before continuing the game. Don't you just hate it when they've lived in a country long enough to gain citizenship but the game doesn't give it too them automatically.

By the way, is your MSN still the same as it was ?

well im having a few memory leak issues you can help me look at if you like?

Yeah, more than happy to help.

If you want, drop me an email at micpringle at gmail dot com and tell me what the issues are and the like and then we can get a discussion going ?

Archived