does the Steam Pric. Make sense to you?

Ok

So, I've been putting off getting the demo cos I had up until today to submit my MSc thesis. Now, I've decided to skip the demo & buy the game. Had every version from the first one in the late 80s so I was always going to get it.

So, for the first time, I clicked through the email link to buy the game. Wanted to download it immediately of course so Steam seems the best idea. Until you look at the price:

Steam download, no actual cost of supply - around 50 quid

Buy the disk & box etc from any of a dozen retailers - around 35 quid

How does that make sense?

So I'm off out for a few whiskeys to celebrate finishing my thesis & I plan to buy the game tomorrow either online direct download or in a shop. Anyone suggest online supplier that allow direct immediate download for around 35 quid?

Alternatively, can I download the demo and then carry on from there by paying for it and getting a code?

Thanks

Ron, IrishUnsigned.com

[late edit: For anyone who wants to get the download direct, best bet is the US site on the forum in here, if you can, otherwise GamersGuide.]

Well, POIZE, clicking the link on FM website to go to STEAM brings me to a page that says the gam eis €49.99. Maybe its a different landing page for UK IP addresses. I'm sure they can't expect us to believe that there is a 66% exchange rate? Its actually more like 10%

JAMIE543: I didn;t say STEAM have no cost of delivery to me, I meant there is no cost of delivery to them. I run a server setup so I know there are costs involved. However, there are costs involved in SI making DVDs and Boxes (circa £1 per game from what I'm told) and delivering them to stores distribution points etc. There is no way STEAM is more costly by around 40%. If the Internet was that expensive to run servers on (£1 per download), nobody would buy anything online... Pure and simple, its profittering, and fair play to them - its busines after all. However, two points: SI should not be promoting them on the SI website if there are alternatives that offer better deals (unless SI get a cut off each click-through to sale). Second, all I asked was if anyone knows of a direct download provider that sells for around the same price as the disk...?

In the end I tried the various download links on the forum. The US download wld have cost me €28, but it wldn't download to outside the US for whatever reason, and I ended up getting it with GamersGuide for €35, almost 50% cheaper than steam. I presume GamersGuide also have internet transmission costs :-)

For anyone who wants to get the download direct, best bet is the US site, if you can, otherwise GamersGuide.

People need to stop thinking of Steam as cheaper. Convenient is the word. It's a delivery system, not some eco-tree-huggy love-in for the green at heart.

There's cheap and there's convenient. Other download providers are BOTH cheap and convenient (not to mention tree-huggy!). I reckon SI are pushing the STEAM option cos they;'re getting something out of it, and so STEAM bump up the price to cover whatever they're giving SI, meaning customers pay SI twice :thdn:

IrishUnsigned.com

i think you will find steam severs are more complexed then what you are used to the amount of bandwidth steam uses must be incredible i know from expierence a server with roughly 1500gb of bandwidth cost me nearly £90 a week steam will use a hell of a lot more then that and have more then 1 server. i also believe that Sega set the price on steam.

The reasons I purchased FM via steam this year:

1. Steam, altho over priced, has my confidence when it comes to still being in business in 2-3 years time and still giving me access to the games I want to play.

2. I have always bought hard copy editions of FM in the past and frankly it occured to me that unlike every other game I own, deprecated versions of FM gave _zero_ replayability. Once the new one is out, the old one is a coaster. So why not buy online and take advantage of the patching, availability and bandwidth steam offers?

3. I'm not a tree hugger but all that oil based plastic and wasted packaging etc is just a waste

I'd also like to say that I don't like the intrusiveness of steam's client software or their inflated prices as a rule and dont use it to buy other games. If steam was 10-15% CHEAPER than hard copy I'd use it for all my gaming purchases regardless tho.

• 4 weeks later...
IrishUnsigned.com

i think you will find steam severs are more complexed then what you are used to the amount of bandwidth steam uses must be incredible i know from expierence a server with roughly 1500gb of bandwidth cost me nearly £90 a week steam will use a hell of a lot more then that and have more then 1 server. i also believe that Sega set the price on steam.

Sorry for the late replay, didn;t see this before.

As I said, I *know* that STEAM have costs, thats not what I said. Read it again, I accept that. However, their costs-per-download are nowhere near the same cost as per distributed DVD. If so, they're doing somwthing very wrong. The whole idea of digital delivery is to reduce costs. Also, as I also said, others are doing it far cheaper, and they have costs as well. Bottom line is, they're profiteering and fair play to them but SI should not be directing to the most expensive provider unless they're making an extra profit as well

Just my opinion of course...

Ron, IU

IrishUnsigned.com

I also beleive Sega/SI set the price on Steam havent you not noticed the box version can be activated via Steam thats gota refleact on the price for the people buying from Steam as the people with boxed copies are getting a free option so to speak via Steam and are thus using Steams bandwidth.

Some 1 from SI said that the box copy should retail at £39.99 a while back and that he doesnt understand how they can be selling them at £15 and that they must be making a loss cant remeber which thread this was in though

I bought mine from Zavvi... ended up getting it for just £12... ill sell it on a week or so before the new ones due out and hopefully get say £5 back for it? Meaning a year of FM2010 for a bargain £7? Fine by me :).

Archived