[FM10] Billericay Town F.C. - The Norwegian Blues!

PaulHartman71

Hello!

As many of you may already have guessed, this career will be following my dafuge's challenge save game with Billericay Town. Last season I reached League 1 with Billericay, however after financial misery and not replacing aging players, despite the talent of the legendary Nathan Cartman, we were relegated and after I failed to bounce back straight away I was sacked. This year however, we're back with a bang! After approximately one hour of reloading I finally got a save game with Billericay. This post is purely to introduce the thread and I wont be 'updating' until the end of the season when I post my end of season update, this will be the case for virtually every season.

Questions you might have

How is Nathan Cartman a 'legend'? - That's how!

What's with the Norwegian Blues? - Well, I was searching around trying to find something to put on the end of the thread as everyone else does these days. I couldn't find anything really snappy or funny, until I find something very interesting. Billericay have their own Norwegian Supporters Club! Apparently, Valerenga (very popular Norwegian side) fans on a Valerenga forum/website/fanzine were looking to find a small low division English team to follow. They couldn't find a team with a similar kit to them, but one of them visited the Billericay website and liked the name. That was in 1997, now the 'Norwegian Blues' seem to have a good little following for Billericay, they seem to come over and watch Billericay at least once a year, and even have their own player of the year award which they give out to the player in their visit. Link - to anyone interested.

Billericay Town, Season 1, 2010-11 - Blue Square South

Finished - 18th

League Table Link

Past Positions

Squad

Transfers

'Team of 2010-11' (not to be confused with the shambolic AI team of the year, although tbf apart from 2 players there's was the same).

GK - Andy Walker, 29, English

DR - Wayne Semanshia, 22, English

DL - Ashley Dumas, 23, English

DC - Phil Stevenson, 19, English

DC - Paul Johnson, 19, English

MR - Danny Stockhall, 22, English

ML - Chris Sullivan, 23, English

MC - Drew Rhodes, 19, English

MC - Michael Shinn, 26, English

ST - Billy Bricknell, 19, English

ST - George Bowerman, 19, English

Career History

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Season   League   Pos    F.A         LC    JPT     FAT     EL   CL   Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11   BSS     18th   4th Q.Rnd   N/A   N/A   1st Rnd   N/A  N/A   None

Key:

League: Current Division

Pos: Position

Pre: Predicted Position

F.A: F.A Cup

LC: League Cup

JPT: Johnstone's Paint Trophy

FAT: F.A Trophy

EL: Europa League

CL: Champions League

-

Season Summary -

As this was my first season in the challenge, as well as the division, this season was nothing more than a transitional phase. Going into the club I knew absolutely nobody, apart from Billy Bricknell and Jamie Dormer, who I remembered from this stage of last year's challenge. The only aim I had was to survive in the division, and despite not winning many games, drawing 17 of them was what made sure we survived. Since it was a transitional phase, I didn't really have a 'first 11', as near enough every new signing broke into the first team immediately.

Due to Setanta's timely bankruptcy, there were only 2 Cups for us to take part in this season, The FA Cup and the FA Trophy. The latter I didn't really cared about and played fringe players, we got past the first match, but the second game was where the fringe met their match and lost 2-0. The FA Cup though, was of course very important due to the potentially large financial rewards in the 'later' rounds. The first 2 games were against lower division opposition, both of these teams were beaten 2-1. In the next round however we drew Blue Square Premier side Grays, who were too strong for us and we lost 2-0.

With all this taken into account, what can we hope for next season? Well with the 'transitional phase' near enough finished, I now have a good idea of who my first choice are. As you can see by the 'best 11' I chose, I have a young squad, so bringing in some experienced players on freebies is definitely something I am looking to do. Apart from that, and the inevitable summer clear-out, I am looking forward to my next season, in the Blue Square North. Even though I'll have a better team, it will still be interesting to see if I do significantly better in the Northern division than I did this season down South.

-

Top 10's

Overall Appearances for the club

------------------------
Name Apps
------------------------

Andy Walker 45
Jamie Dormer 43
Wayne Semanshia 41
Michael Shinn 38
Ian Cousins 36
Ashley Dumas 34
Chris Sullivan 25
George Bowerman 23
Ian Wiles 23
Billy Bricknell 22

Overall Assists for the club

------------------------
Name Assists
------------------------

Jamie Dormer 10
Billy Bricknell 6
Michael Shinn 5
Chris Sullivan 4
Ryan Bowman 3
Russell Pond 3
George Bowerman 2
James Wood 2
Mitchell Simms 2
Wayne Semanshia 1

Overall Goals for the club

------------------------
Name Goals
------------------------

James Baker 8
George Bowerman 7
Billy Bricknell 6
Michael Shinn 6
Chris Sullivan 6
Jamie Dormer 3
Jo Flack 3
Mitchell Simms 2
Phil Stevenson 2
Ryan Bowman 1

Billericay Town, Season 2, 2011-12 - Blue Square North

Finished - 12th

League Table Link

Past Positions

Squad

Transfers

-

'Team of 2011-12'

GK - Ben Hinchliffe, 23, English

DR - William Browne, 19, Irish

DL - Remy Gordon, 19, English

DC - Paul Johnson, 20, English

DC - Phil Stevenson, 20, English

MR - Darrell Clarke, 34, English

ML - Florin Pelecaci, 32, Romanian

MC - Drew Rhodes, 20, English

MC - Jon Challinor, 31, English

ST - Scott Ginty, 21, English

ST - George Bowerman, 20, English

-

Career History

Season   League   Pos    F.A         LC    JPT     FAT     EL   CL   Achievements
2010/11   BSS     18th   4th Q.Rnd   N/A   N/A   1st Rnd   N/A  N/A   None
2011/12   BSN     12th   3rd Q.Rnd   N/A   N/A   Qual.3    N/A  N/A   None

Key:

League: Current Division

Pos: Position

F.A: F.A Cup

LC: League Cup

JPT: Johnstone's Paint Trophy

FAT: F.A Trophy

EL: Europa League

CL: Champions League

-

Season Summary -

In my second season as manager of Billericay we were moved up North, to the Blue Square North. Only time would tell whether there would be any significant gap in quality of the two divisions, but since I brought in a few new faces it wouldn't be a scientifically 'fair test' anyway. All 7 of my signings broke into the first team near enough as soon as they joined, so a new look starting 11, with a familiar looking 'squad' was how the season played out. Another new face was a youth player, Craig Nightingale, who can play DC,DM & MC, but is primarily a DM. Since I don't use a formation that includes a DM, in the few appearances he did make he played at center back. My team is still a very young one, ironically my two oldest players in the starting 11 play on the left and right of midfield. Many people would criticize this decision, but since I don't really use them as 'wingers', their lack of pace doesn't really matter to me.

The token cup appearances were treated exactly the same as they were last time around, the FA Trophy being the place where I would showcase my fringe players, and the FA Cup where I'd try as hard as possible to get through to the rounds with the big boys. Our FA Trophy run was short lived, being knocked out by Havant & Waterloovile in a 1-0 loss. The FA Cup run was not as successful as it was last year, we drew Cray in the 2nd Qualifying Round and it took a replay and a penalty shoot-out for us to progress. We then drew Bishop's Stortford in the next round, and sadly lost 2-0. With yet another year of no major FA Cup run our finances aren't looking good, we're about 450K in the red, despite the board's ongoing contributions to try and 'help the situation'.

The season itself actually started very well for us, 2 wins and a draw in our first 3 games put us on top. Sadly this was the only time we'd be top of the table, as we then re-discovered relegation form similar to that of last season in the Blue Square South. I feel we did do significantly better this season though, 6 positions higher and 14 more points, not to mention the fact we were never in serious danger of relegation. As incredible and baffling as it may sound, next season we return to the Blue Square South. This should in theory be more of a test to see if we've actually improved from the team in season 1, and it should also give us some sort of indication of what 6th tier league is superior. Although again, it wouldn't scientifically be a fair test, but who cares!?!

-

Top 10's

Overall Appearances for the club

------------------------
Name Apps
------------------------

Paul Johnson 60
George Bowerman 56
Drew Rhodes 54
James Wood 53
Jon Challinor 52
Phil Stevenson 52
Wayne Semanshia 51
Andy Walker 50
Jamie Dormer 49
Michael Shinn 49

Overall Assists for the club

------------------------
Name Assists
------------------------

Jamie Dormer 11
Billy Bricknell 9
James Wood 7
Florin Pelecaci 7
Darrell Clarke 7
Scott Ginty 6
George Bowerman 5
Drew Rhodes 5
Michael Shinn 5
Chris Sullivan 5

Overall Goals for the club

------------------------
Name Goals
------------------------

George Bowerman 17
Billy Bricknell 13
James Baker 8
Michael Shinn 7
Chris Sullivan 7
Scott Ginty 6
Jamie Dormer 4
Florin Pelecaci 4
Darrell Clarke 4
Ryan Bowman 4

Billericay have their own Norwegian Supporters Club!

And (pub fact): If you go to the British-dominated Belfry pub in Oslo, there's a Billericay scarft hanging on the wall at the bar. Bartender John is a fan.

(Vålerenga are crap though - up the Lillestrøm!)

Archived