dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mattyday315:

ok dafuge but theres 19 pages lol and also does anyone no what happens in 2010 something abot islands can somebody explain please

A lot of regens seems to be appearing on our player search screen that come from British overseas territories, probably because they have English as a second nationality. They aren't world beaters but a lot of them seem pretty good for the lower leagues. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry for being thick here but a couple of related questions

1) I have noticed a player in my first season in october who has one of the West indian Islands (cannot remember which) as his nationality but a birth place of London - is this to early in the game for him to be an example of the players you are talking about? Or does the birth place indicate he is different anyway - are all these other guys actually born in the West Indies??

2) What is the "no club search". I know this may sound like I want to know how to "cheat" but actually I am concerned I may have broken this rule without realising it so could someone please explain?

Thanks guys

The playoff spot is mine!

Results elsewhere in the league are really going my way right now. Beating Tamworth helped too.

Looks like my board still wants me around too, which is rather relieving considering the experience of some other participants in this challenge.

Oh, and can they get any more annoying?! Sure, they're transfer listed by request and I guess want to stay now, but I'm not about to keep them just because the rest of the team is doing well without them. icon13.gif

Originally posted by iacovone:

Argh just lost at home to end a 16 game unbeaten run! icon_mad.gif

It wasn't even to a good team - Bedford who were in their first season in the BSN. 35 yard free kick did the damage...we better not fall away from the promotion pack now!

16 game unbeaten run - guess your Halesowen boys have their home form sorted now icon_smile.gif (sorry only just seen you comment from last night!)

Have had a few problems with the site and my internet and i miss 3 pages in a day icon_eek.gif

Barns and His Witton Albion Wombats

Little update - 22 Games in and sitting in a healthy spot for once icon_smile.gif

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | Tamworth | | 22 | 15 | 4 | 3 | 36 | 14 | +22 | 49 |

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Histon | | 22 | 12 | 7 | 3 | 38 | 18 | +20 | 43 |

| 3rd | | Stalybridge | | 22 | 11 | 7 | 4 | 29 | 16 | +13 | 40 |

| 4th | | Worcester | | 21 | 10 | 8 | 3 | 33 | 21 | +12 | 38 |

| 5th | | Droylsden | | 22 | 10 | 7 | 5 | 26 | 16 | +10 | 37 |

| 6th | | Matlock | | 22 | 10 | 6 | 6 | 34 | 26 | +8 | 36 |

| 7th | | Hyde | | 22 | 8 | 10 | 4 | 25 | 16 | +9 | 34 |

| 8th | | Witton | | 22 | 9 | 7 | 6 | 26 | 23 | +3 | 34 |

| 9th | | Gainsborough | | 22 | 8 | 9 | 5 | 29 | 25 | +4 | 33 |

| 10th | | Boston Utd | | 22 | 6 | 12 | 4 | 25 | 21 | +4 | 30 |

</pre>

As you can see im playing fairly well at the moment, on a 3 match winning streak and players seem to be playing better.

Kyle Wilson and Kirk Hudson have been fairly ok so far icon_smile.gif they've scored important goals.

Also got a loan striker from Crewe (my parent) who has some pace and 12 finishing, so he hasn't been to bad.

Switched from a 4-4-2 to a 4-4-2 Diamond now its finally starting to take shape im playing some great football now icon_smile.gificon14.gif

Mon the Witton

Originally posted by Alurny:

Anyone know if there is a specific contract renewal date on this one? I got to March with no news yet!

My board considered my future, despite being top of the league. I was lucky to get a new contract at the end of the season.

Originally posted by Aario:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mattyday315:

ok dafuge but theres 19 pages lol and also does anyone no what happens in 2010 something abot islands can somebody explain please

A lot of regens seems to be appearing on our player search screen that come from British overseas territories, probably because they have English as a second nationality. They aren't world beaters but a lot of them seem pretty good for the lower leagues. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1) I have noticed a player in my first season in october who has one of the West indian Islands (cannot remember which) as his nationality but a birth place of London - is this to early in the game for him to be an example of the players you are talking about? Or does the birth place indicate he is different anyway - are all these other guys actually born in the West Indies??

2) What is the "no club search". I know this may sound like I want to know how to "cheat" but actually I am concerned I may have broken this rule without realising it so could someone please explain?

Thanks guys </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. He could well be, although all of mine were born abroad.

2. It's basically any method of finding players other than your scout reports and your player search screen, a way of finding players who are not within the bounds of your scouting knowledge. Just avoid using the text box to search for players.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aario:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

Thanks guys </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. He could well be, although all of mine were born abroad.

2. It's basically any method of finding players other than your scout reports and your player search screen, a way of finding players who are not within the bounds of your scouting knowledge. Just avoid using the text box to search for players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for that

So using the player search with the filter set to Contract Status Expired is ok?

Originally posted by paulsgruff:

I'm soooo close to reaching a playoff place with AFC Hornchurch.

League Table

It is my 5th season in charge, I've never finished higher than 10th and I have a horrible feeling that it's all going to go wrong in my last league game.

I'm playing Bath away, who are way down the bottom of the table, but I have never beaten them at their place. To make matters worse, the 2 teams that can catch me (Brombley and AFC Wimbledon) play each other as their last fixture. If I lose and they draw, I miss out on goal difference, if I draw and Bromley win, they leapfrog me on points. It's pretty nerve wracking and I really don't want to start this last game icon_biggrin.gif

My last game totally didn't go to plan. Wimbledon beat Bromley and I was 1-0 down to bath for nearly the entire match. Then Kevin Fields belted in a shot from 25 yards with only 8 minutes to go that earned us a draw that we totally didn't deserve, and we clinched the playoff place by 1 point - when if that goal hadn't gone in, we would have lost it on goal difference. icon_biggrin.gif

My 5th season and my first time in the playoffs!

mid way through second season with Whitby.

Have had major downturn in attendances from averaging over 1000 in first season(finished 2nd) to a paltry 168(5th at present) for this game against worcester!

in need of a fans day methinks?

on a more positive note i think either worcester manager put the wrong player in or his tactics were shocking. I scored after 29 seconds btw.

unlucky lad

So using the player search with the filter set to Contract Status Expired is ok?

Yes, that is fine, that will bring up all the players whose contracts have expired that are within your scouting knowledge, not just every player in the world who's contract has expired.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iacovone:

It wasn't even to a good team - Bedford who were in their first season in the BSN. 35 yard free kick did the damage...we better not fall away from the promotion pack now!

16 game unbeaten run - guess your Halesowen boys have their home form sorted now icon_smile.gif (sorry only just seen you comment from last night!) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep managed to turn it around slightly. Getting those losses into draws and those draws into wins. It's a very tight affair at the top of the table. Gonna be an incredibly close finish as everyone is beating everyone. I followed up that defeat by going away to top of the league and winning 2-0!

Awful start by my Hitchin side. Played 18 and have just 14 points, currently second bottom. Amazingly in our last game we beat the league leaders Dorchester 3-0 so I'm hoping that we may finally have a decent run of results.

Just hope I can survive the season and the board will stick with me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aario:

Yes, that is fine, that will bring up all the players whose contracts have expired that are within your scouting knowledge, not just every player in the world who's contract has expired. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK great - this what I thought but thanks for setting my mind at rest icon_smile.gif just cannot wait to get home now and play icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by iacovone:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iacovone:

16 game unbeaten run - guess your Halesowen boys have their home form sorted now icon_smile.gif (sorry only just seen you comment from last night!) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep managed to turn it around slightly. Getting those losses into draws and those draws into wins. It's a very tight affair at the top of the table. Gonna be an incredibly close finish as everyone is beating everyone. I followed up that defeat by going away to top of the league and winning 2-0! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good news mate - fingers crossed for you

I am still only in November of my first season but remain unbeaten at home icon_smile.gif only 2 draws if I remember rightly as well icon_biggrin.gif

What are your attendances like? My home form certainly seems to be helping with the ticket sales - 85 season tickets and only around 600 (I think) turned up for my first game of the season - had over 1900 for my last home game icon_biggrin.gif

There was problems with my computer as my Tiverton save corrupted and my Billericay, and my backups were from october so I was to lazy to go all the way back to october, so I tryed Afc Wimbledon:

Note: it says I joined in July 2nd, I accidently holidayed to July 2nd, thats why I joined in July.

League Graph 2008-09

League Table 2008-09

We led the line from 21 games, are start was awful, after finally gaining top place we only slipped to third, but came back to first after 26 games and haven't looked back since, Bostock and Sheringham proved to be a revelation banging in 26 goals together and Bostock banging 13 assists, the cups sucked arse getting knocked out at the first round of the s**t Sentana Shield by ribbish Welling, we lost in the fourth qualiyfying Round to Team Bath 2-0!, next season looks tough but if I can fill the gaps and re-loan the players(I have Crystal Palace as my Parent Club) then I should easily Stay up in the Conference National.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s254/Gitos/Squad2008-09.jpg

Originally posted by westothebpow:

£55k? Quite alot at this level..was he good?

Not exceptionally. He did really well for me in the Blue Square South, but I bought/loaned better left wingers for the Blue Square Premier season, so he's mostly just played cup games and the occasional league game when I've had injury problems. Offered him out to clubs for nothing, negotiated to £55k and they took it. icon14.gif

Looking at their squad, he's their only left midfielder. That probably had something to do with it.

AFC Hornchurch - Blue Square South - Playoff Semi-Final First Leg 2012/13

I'm so happy with this result, my team played out of their skin considering Weymouth battered us 4-0 the last time we played each other.

Match Overview

It's great that Bradley Eames scored the winning goal in the match, as he is the only player in my first team that actually came through as a youth player at the club. Also Lewis Christon (my centre back) managed to hit the crossbar from just inside the oppositions half when he tried to lob the goalie who was out of his box. What a goal that would have been. Just got to keep a solid defence in the second leg now.

Halesowen season update 08/09

After an amazing run in the second half of the season, no doubt because of my striker Ellington with 28 goals, i ended up in a playoff spot ! icon_smile.gif

First Leg: http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/4200/bsnfirstlegyz0.jpg

Final:

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/5046/promotedpo5.jpg

That was a Thriller !!!

Now im facing the BSP, and i have to take a hard look at my team as they simply have overachived this season i need to get better players in !

Im Happy icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Jordanknox:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Supermas2:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jordanknox:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">League Two 2010/2011 Chelmsford City Jordanknox none

Can't we just wipe him from the list icon_frown.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because I didnt want my game ruined by a bug? Hang me now icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think it was a bug though, you simply underperformed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2 days before I was sacked the long term goals thing was full as id surpassed their expectations but they were disppointed in my performance in league 2. At this time the board were "pleased" with my performance. As soon as the season finished(19th June) I was sacked. My mate (NUFCSean on here) was there at the time and has posted about this.

People who are saying I should start again, why? It will just happen again and will probably happen to everyone else on here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I went back to your initial post just to check. Your first screenshot shows the bar empty on June 3rd, which is far more than 2 days before you were "sacked". Which btw, if im reading screenshot 3 correct, you were never sacked. Your contract expired and the board chose not to offer you a new one at the time. You were given notice that this might happen over 2 weeks before. Getting sacked would indicate the board terminating your employment during the course of your contract.

Having your contract not being renewed is always a possibility if you wait until the very end of the season to hope for a new contract. You can always request one earlier (usually anytime after the midpoint of the season) and I've found its usually a good thing to do if your doing well at any point after that. Not only does this help your job security a bit, but any transfer/wage budget negotiations you make at this point go into effect immediately, which can give you that little bit of extra wage room to bring in an extra player or two you might need in the stretch run to the end of the season.

You waited until the end of season performance review which you failed.

I'm still convinced that you didn't get your contract renewed because you failed to meet the expectation you set at the beginning of the season. If it really was because of a bug in the long term expectations than you are right and almost all of us will get let go for it at some point. If this is the case than most of us will probably use the time from now until the patch to hone our training and tactics and then restart at that point. Either way its still not an excuse to use the editor.

Personally, I don't care whether you restart or not. You can keep playing that game as long as you want. If your happy playing it, thats great. Jimbo is just asking that you be removed from the official list since your game no longer meets the rules of the challenge (you used the editor).

Not one for regular long updates so i'll probably just stick to jan\end of season!

January first season with Carshalton and I'm sitting in 3rd place of Conference South.

http://img229.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dfc05qs3.jpg

I started the season with 4 straight defeats, followed by 4 straight wins, and since then it has generally been pretty good. Most bad results since early season have been due to injuries, but I have a decent squad size now:

http://img229.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dfc07gp5.jpg

My solution to most problems is to just add more pace. I have quite a lot of pacey strikers that I have no problem putting into midfield or on the wings.

Having Chelsea as my parent team is making things seem quite easy. I got 3 or 4 players on loan including my star player:

http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dfc06dy9.jpg

My scout reckons that he is near his full potential, so hopefully I can pick him up for cheap somewhere along the line. My scout is terrible though, so he will probably end up world class heh.

Highest goalscoring game: Eastleigh 4 - 5 Carshalton (cup replay, down to 10 men, won last minute)

Highest win: Carshalton 5 - 0 Lewes

Hopefully I can keep my run going and get promoted first season, I don't think it will taste so sweet though with the parent club players I have.

Originally posted by paulsgruff:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paulsgruff:

I'm soooo close to reaching a playoff place with AFC Hornchurch.

League Table

It is my 5th season in charge, I've never finished higher than 10th and I have a horrible feeling that it's all going to go wrong in my last league game.

I'm playing Bath away, who are way down the bottom of the table, but I have never beaten them at their place. To make matters worse, the 2 teams that can catch me (Brombley and AFC Wimbledon) play each other as their last fixture. If I lose and they draw, I miss out on goal difference, if I draw and Bromley win, they leapfrog me on points. It's pretty nerve wracking and I really don't want to start this last game icon_biggrin.gif

My last game totally didn't go to plan. Wimbledon beat Bromley and I was 1-0 down to bath for nearly the entire match. Then Kevin Fields belted in a shot from 25 yards with only 8 minutes to go that earned us a draw that we totally didn't deserve, and we clinched the playoff place by 1 point - when if that goal hadn't gone in, we would have lost it on goal difference. icon_biggrin.gif

My 5th season and my first time in the playoffs! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Congrats on making the playoffs! icon14.gif

Those final days of the season can be absolutely nerve racking especially if goal difference might make the difference.

Good luck in the playoffs icon_cool.gif

After having Baidoo injured and me deciding to terminate his loan because he needed specialist treatment, QPR decided a couple fo weeks later to send him back to me again icon_confused.gif

Oh well, perhaps he'll be fit enough to play a role in the run in.

I did manage to sign a striker who I hope will be his permanent replacement. 4 goals in 7 games isn't bad for a member of the team.

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

My striker's hair is growing!

Danny - Dec 2010

Danny - Oct 2011

He's also grown a nice big cheeser. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is the cheeser actually linked to his morale? because i noticed that the morale was poor in the first and superb in the second.

Originally posted by Scab:

This seems rather dumb considering we just won promotion to League 2...

The game never realizes you're actually promoted until June 19th for whatever reason. So as far as the board or anyone you try and sign are concerned your still in the Blue Square Premier until then unfortunately. Its something that always bugs me. It would be nice if the benefits of promotion would immediately follow the announcement as its difficult to attract any higher quality players until later, at which point they may not be available anymore.

Congrats on winning promotion though! icon14.gif

Originally posted by Thebaker:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

My striker's hair is growing!

Danny - Dec 2010

Danny - Oct 2011

He's also grown a nice big cheeser. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is the cheeser actually linked to his morale? because i noticed that the morale was poor in the first and superb in the second. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it is. icon14.gif

Apparently, he has a smile when he's happy and looks rather depressed when low on morale.

Nice little feature nonetheless.

Originally posted by Gilbster:

Besides the 2 judging attributes which others do you look for in a good scout?

Personally I completely ignore judging ability. I feel that by looking at the stats I can see where the player is now and make a better determination on that one than my scout at lower levels.

The first thing I look for in my scout is Judging potential, as of course thats the one thing I really have no way of knowing.

If theres multiple scouts with the same judging potential I tend to look at Discipline and tactical knowledge.

Discipline is the second primary stat for me as it seems to determine the number of report cards the scout can produce on a daily basis.

tactical knowledge is a questionable stat for me. I had a theory that it was an important factor in determining how detailed the initial reports are, but I have been unable to prove or disprove conclusively. All other things equal I use tactical knowledge as the tiebreaker.

Some scouts seem to be able to complete very detailed reports on players with just a report card, while others seem to take 2-3 matches to get the same results. I haven't been able to figure out exactly what equation is used to determine this, but obviously I'm looking for very detailed scouts and I tend to release those that cant keep pace and try new ones fairly often.

Hope that helps icon_cool.gif

Ilkeston - Conference North - First Game

Well it was an eventful first game in charge of Ilkeston for Gilbster.

Positives is that my newest signing Jon Newby, managed to score 2 goals, despite only joining the squad for the first time hours before kickoff.

Negatives is that I have a thin squad so an injury and 2 red cards may leave me playing with some grey players in the upcoming matches.

Mangotsfield United BSS First Season - Update

At last got round to getting a few screenshots up and running icon_wink.gif

First up, suddenly realised that i didn't even upload my Profile!

After a busy time in the transfer window, well it had to be i had no staff and no players! I managed to assemble the following motley crew to attempt Mangotsfield's first attempt at BSS.

Mangotsfield United Squad 2008!

icon_eek.gif What a season icon_biggrin.gif

League Table

Mangotsfield United crowned champion of BSS with over 100 points! icon_cool.gif

Players who made the whole thing possible:

(1) Got this guyu on loan, player of the year, his stats show why......Tristan Plummer

(2) My top scorer, a great first season for......Charles Ademeno

(3) My other striker who was injured early on still did well.....Andy Pugh

(4) Midfield general who scored goals and gave a huge help on assists.......Brian Barry-Murphy

(5) Finally a left back loanee who gave a good steady performance every season.....Patrick Boyle

All in all a great first season from the boys icon_biggrin.gif

and i've even managed to sign an International ST for my next season, granted he's from Estonia icon_wink.gif

One and all i introduce Mangotsfield United's first ever International player.....Christian Kortsmik

Well here goes on next season icon_wink.gif

Hello

Bit slow on the uptake, but i have started the challenge. I have started as AFC WIMBLEDON. Kept restarting for a local team to me, but ine never came up, so WIMBLEDON it was.

Got off to a good start. Won 3 friendlies, lost the first game of the season, but bounced back with two straight wins. Will post some screen shots soon.

Archived