dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gateshead FC Season 2010/2011

After the disappointment of last season, the only way really was up. Big signings were needed to improve on last season's 19th place finish and I got one in the form of an aging Ray Parlour. He and another 9 other free signings along with a handful of retained players from last season and two loanees were set the task of achieveing a safe mid-table position for the season, and to be fair I would have been happy with that too and then push on to promotion next season.

The opening day saw us lose 3-1 at home to Vauxhall Motors and it seemed that we were heading for another long season despite a very promising pre-season. It proved just to be a blip as we went on a six game unbeaten run and ended up losing just 2 of our opening 12 games to find outselves lying 2nd in the table. For the next few games results were mixed but we maintained 2nd place and kept up with AFC Telford above us. Our form was being carried by our ability to score goals for fun, with Middlesbrough loanee Jason White proving to be a star player up front. Worryingly though he was only here for 3 months and was refusing to extend his deal.

Thankfully after having just left the club the day before, Jason agreed to come back for another 3 months. Unfortunately not even he could prevent some very poor results in December, January and February which saw me slip away and eventually 9 points outside of the playoffs by mid-February, mainly thanks to a leaky defence.

A quality midfielder in the from of 22-year-old George Collins and the further extension of Jason White's loan turned things round and we went on a 7 game unbeaten run (including 6 wins) and found ouselves back in the playoffs with a 5 point cushion with just four games to go.

Losing 1-0 at Witton Albion saw the cushion drop to just two points. The following week we were beaten 2-1 against Hinckley, but thankfully 2 of the teams chasing me lost their games also, but there were now 3 teams all just 2 points behind me.

A comfortable 2-0 win over already champions AFC Telford, saw two other teams drop out of the fight and it was now either me or Southport who would claim the final playoff spot on the last day of the season. I faced Boston, they faced Blyth. At half time we were deadlocked 0-0 but down to 10 men and struggling to hold out. A quick check of the Southport game saw them 1-0 up and as it stood they were in the playoffs on goal difference. Full time came and I had been beaten 1-0. Southport had held on to their 1-0 lead and so it turned out to be a disappointing end to the season. I was pleased however that we had managed to finish 6th and felt confident that next season we could go one better.

Competitions:

Blue Square North: 6th, 68 Pts, +14 G.D.

FA Cup: 4th Qualifying Round (Lost Nuneaton (H) 2-1)

FA Trophy: 3rd Qualifying Round (Lost Hendon (A) 2-0)

Setanta Shield: 1st Round (Lost Guiseley (A) 1-1p)

Transfers:

A total of 12 players in, all for free. 4 loans over the season (all from Middlesbrough), 2 of which were for the full season and the other 2 just for 3 months. Signing of the season was probably the loan signing of Jason White, whose goals carried us forward all season, but Ray Parlour was a close second as he bossed the midfield in just about all of our matches.

Finances:

Made a loss of £12k over the season and ended with a balance of £9k. The main causes of the losses were probably the fact that i was always right up to the wage budget and our poor perfomance in cup competitions. It could have been a lot worse had we not broken our average attendance record with 728 though.

Players:

Stars:

Jason White - Superb loanee. Won BSN Player of the Season and was BSN top scorer. Was hoping to sign him in June as his contract ran out at the end of the season but he signed a new 2 year deal at 'boro and so I'm relying on signing him back on loan next season.

Apps: 43+3, Gls: 33, Assts: 16, MoM: 13, AvRt: 7.41

Adam Bolle - Free signing in the summer. Played superbly alongside White upfront and looks a real prospect for future at just 19-years-old. Won Fan's Player of the Season and third top scorer in BSN

Apps: 36+6, Gls: 26, Assts: 8, MoM: 10, AvRt: 7.21

Disappointment:

Ollie Thorne: Free summer signing. Excelled in a trial over the pre-season so snapped him up, but just couldn't compete over the season.

Next Season:

Hopefully we will be in the playoffs next year. We need a quality centre-back to shore up the defence as the number of goals conceded was really what stopped us from going up this season. Would like to get a bit further in the cups in order to generate a little more revenue but I think promotion will be the main aim.

Game Summary:

Season 1 - 9th Blue Square North

Season 2 - 19th Blue Square North

Season 3 - 6th Blue Square North

I feel like dying. :(

I've had a problem with my laptop. The screen had an issue, and I had to send it off to Apple to get it repaired. I used my other laptop, and backed up all the files on to my external HD. I transfered a select few over to the spare laptop, (mainly FM ones) - and let my computer go.

I've just gotten my computer back today. Opened up my external HD and put the files on the spare laptop onto it, to transfer over to the fixed laptop. I opened up my laptop and put all the old files back, to find one thing. My Real London game is the one I had pre-laptop problems and is nearly 2 seasons earlier than where I actually am. :(

I've hastily deleted the back up files before realizing my mistake, and also wiped the back up laptop before realizing too.

I don't know if I have the heart to carry on with the challenge now. There were so many things I'd done in that 2 seasons that set the club up for great things, and it was about 20-30 hours of actual game time. I don't know if I can be bothered to do it again, or even try, just in-case things don't go the same way. I'm so gutted, I was really enjoying the game.

I feel your pain Nep.

I've recently lost the only FM08 post 8.02 patch save I have ever played, (the one Gundo challenge one with McIlmurray on 119 goals.

The pc is completely dead so the game is too.

I've started a dafuge game with Hitchin but to be honest my heart isn't really in it.

It usually takes me a few seasons to get into a game.

I'm the same, Jimbo. 3 or 4 seasons before the club / save feels "my own". Also, as both my games are mid 2030's, I don't know if I could start again and go through the game with no regens in it. I'm carrying on with Gundo's Challenge to see if I can complete it. If I do, I'll consider picking up Daf's again, if not, I'll just play out Smylie's career, as I'm pretty sure he'll get around 2,500 goals.

I really felt 2-3 seasons would have done it. Thats not back to 6 or 7 after the work I did. I genuinely don't know how to do it again. I've got screenies from the 2 lost seasons, so I can still buy the same players and stuff. But still.... :(

I think that's what I'd find most annoying, thinking that you were only a couple of years away from getting the job done. Really do feel gutted for you Nep.

I'm a little late starting this challenge but what the hell.. I am now the new manager of Ilkeston Town!

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr351/GoodingPF/paulilkeston.jpg

Hope that link is ok

As a Forest fan I will be looking to bring in a few old boys... Jason Lee may still be able to bang a few in at this level! Hopefully Ill get Forest as a parent club. Not sure if I will get away with the famous flowing forest style for a while though....

AFC Wimbledon - Blue Square Premier Season 2009-10

Transfers:

After winning promotion to the Blue Square Premier handily, I knew that I would need to improve the overall quality of the squad in order to compete at a higher level. Fortunately, most of the dead weight in my squad was released on frees after their contracts expired, freeing up a load of salary money for me to utilize in attracting new players.

The board gave me a healthy kitty for transfers and I was happy to splash the cash on two fantastic youngsters at King's Lynn that my scouting network had managed to identify. 19-year old Welsh winger Robert Robinson was obtained for a large chunk of change at $220k. His team-mate, left-sided prospect Iain Lennon, also joined AFC Wimbledon for an equally exorbitant $130k.

Most other players joined on frees, including veteran fullback Andy Frampton and talented midfielder Shaun Vipond.

On the loan side of the squad, three Arsenal youngsters were obtained on season-long loans to increase the overall quality of the squad. Gavin Hoyte was happy to renew his loan and spend another season with AFC Wimbledon on the right side of defense. U-18 striker Luke Freeman was also added to provide a capable backup to club favorite Jon-Paul Pittman and Tony Boto up front. Most notably, after a horrid season of inconsistent keepers in the BSS last year, I managed to secure the talented Wojciech Szczesny to provide some stability at the back.

Many other players were brought in for frees but didn't pan out and are currently rotting in the reserves.

Transfers

Squad

The League:

AFC Wimbledon got off to a hot start in the league and befuddled the pundits all year, who expected our form to drop eventually. We hit a rough patch of form around January when an injury crisis ravaged our strike-force. Tony Boto, and Luke Freeman were both down for multiple weeks and West Ham youngster Fred Sears was brought in to patch the cracks but failed to impress. Despite the adversity, we managed to stay consistent enough to emerge as BSP League Champions by the time the season was done!

Cups:

Nothing at all of note to report in Wimbledon's cup competitions this year. Poor performances all around saw us fail to meet expectations as most our focus was on winning promotion to League2 for next year.

Season Results:

League - 1st (29-10-7) - League Table

League Leaders

Blue Square Premier Best XI

Bussen tops Manager of the Year List

AFC Wimbledon Information

Finances

Manager Profile - I am now a Regionally-known manager :) Note the poor Club/Player Loyalty though...

Conclusion/Looking Ahead

I didn't expect such success in my second season to be honest. Looking ahead at the quality of League 2, I think the team will struggle but I think we will be able to stay up with some comfort. I would like to shore up the defense and pick up another striker but I am having trouble attracting players of sufficient caliber as the reputation of the club still isn't high enough.

I have gotten permission from the board to expand the youth academy so that will be good news looking to the future. Tons of clubs have come in with offers for Robert Robinson and Iain Lennon (including Middlesborough and Birmingham) but they have thus far rejected my rather high asking price. My number one priority is to keep hold of my skilled players to stay up for next season so that I can build a good financial base for the club and begin to attract more talent in order to reach promotion in 2 or 3 seasons.

Nep. If going back to N.Ireland doesn't do it for you, then feel free to join me from the beginning again on this.

I've decided to play from the start with fake players because I don't want to be able to sign any players that I know about, and as a result it's proving pretty tough.

Hitchin. End of Season 2008/09.

We were shocking at the start and at the end, but in the middle I managed to sign a young GK from Peterborough on loan for 3 months. He did well and kep 5 clean sheets in 13 games as our mini revival took us tempararily out of the relegation zone, but it was not enough and I was sacked for the first time ever, (I think), in my FM career, as we got off the bottom but not out of the relegation zone.

I applied for the job at newly promoted Merthyr Tydfil but my performance last season was so bad that they weren't interested.

As a result I decided to reincarnate myself and install myself as the new manager of one of my local teams Borehamwood.

So here we go again:(.

Nep. If going back to N.Ireland doesn't do it for you, then feel free to join me from the beginning again on this.

I've decided to play from the start with fake players because I don't want to be able to sign any players that I know about, and as a result it's proving pretty tough.

Are we allowed to use fake players? If so, I'll definitely join you :thup:

That started well, had a bored takeover and was sacked:mad:

Am really down now as I had built a whole team. Dont know if I can face starting again, to tempting to sign all the same players, might try the carrer game instead

Turns out I could face doing it again. Have once again taken over the merthyr tydfil:thup:

Sympathies Nep. :(

Note: I wrote down all the key stuff for every month but it's far too long to copy and paste. :D

AFC Hornchurch - Season 1 (08-09)

We trialled many young players, from Scotland, England, Wales, and even Poland and Bulgaria, with about half of them being offered a contract. Our squad was built relatively quickly and we managed to set up a link with West Ham to be their feeder club (I know, I know), in return they sent us Reid and Collison on loan for the season. Our squad was really just a squad of boys with our average age being just 18. Unfortunately, there was already takeover talks at the club. Director Ted Evans wanted to buy the club for 130k but pulled out in the end. Our first game was a 2-2 away draw at Basingstoke, Collison getting our first ever goal. Our first home match we got our first win against Mertyr Tydllwywlwyl, the score being 4-1 and Fairhurst was starting to impress. We took Tomkins on loan for 3 months due poor performances by Massey and Howells also picked up an injury.

October proved to be a bit more topsy-turvy, we were a bit inconsistent and Fairhurst's goals were drying up. It was at this time that John Connor stepped up to impress as did TPL (aka. That Polish Fella, the Polish guy's name I can never remember). After fielding a lot of youth in the cups we manage to get a draw against League One side Gillingham. 6 minutes in and not the start we'd had in mind after Nutter scored a free-kick from just outside the box, despite that the lads heads didn't go down and we got a goal back through our talisman John Connor. Half-time.

With the second half under way we carried on as before but chances for both sides we limited and Gillingham were starting to show some quality, we changed to a 4-1-4-1 to contain them but just after we conceded from a lapse of concentration as Oli scored for the Gills. It was to get worse as Williamson picked up a second yellow card dashing all hope of us getting through this David v Goliath tie...but the lads showed determination when, from a corner Tomkins scored in the 89th minute, 10 men had pulled back a dramatic equaliser. Celebrations didn't last long however as The Gills extra man showed, managing to easily open our defence and slotting in a third goal with a minute left, our run in the illustrious FA Cup was over, but we did well and I was proud of the lads. Now, our focus fell back on the league.

January, and we had made a good position for ourselves just over the half-way point of the season. An 11 point difference between us and nearest promotion hopefuls Weston-super-Mare had given us hope that we can get the title, still, we knew there was still a long road to travel and we must stay consistent, we had dropped a few points over the last 5 games or so, but luckily so did the teams below us, but we knew it only takes a team with a couple of wins to suddenly grind those points back. We brought in Spence on loan due to injuries to both our central defenders.

After 20 games unbeaten we lost 3-2 against AFC Wimbledon away from home, two turn of events in that game had got me thinking a) Blake, despite being a very good fullback was conceding too many penalties and becoming a liability and b) Reid missed a penalty, we need a solid penalty taker since we've missed a lot this season. Still, no reason to be down since after 35 games we're 17 points clear of Cambridge City and have got ourselves a play-off spot, we now need a win to secure unofficial promotion since our goal difference is far superior.........The 4-0 win over Hayes & Yeading had given us the title and promotion from the Conference South...unofficially. We now would have to lose all our games and concede around 55 goals to mess up. Our next game on March 28th we beat relegation candidates Fisher 5-2 to get the title, officially. Happy days.

League Table - http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn186/Electric_Wizard_2008/AFCHornchurch-LeagueTable09.jpg

Squad Screen - http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn186/Electric_Wizard_2008/HSquadScreen09.jpg

Information Screen - http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn186/Electric_Wizard_2008/Info09.jpg

Star Player - http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn186/Electric_Wizard_2008/JohnConnor.jpg

Thanks for reading this heavily truncated version.

Guiseley Update 08/09 Season

I didnt have high expectations going into the season as we only had 14 players signed up by the time our first game came around and the oldest of these was only 20. Although we did manage to sign another 8-9 by the middle of September, including probably the best signing this season 37 Year old Tommy Mooney.

(Forgot to take a screenshot of the squad but the best XI is nearly as good)

http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=squadhy6.png

The season got of to a fantastic start as went unbeaten for the first 15 games before losing to League leaders Leigh RMI. Despite what i thought was a very good start we were only in 3rd position and 6 points behind Leigh.

The response to our first defeat was magnificent as we went on a club record winning streak of 11 games this included a 4-0 hammering of second place Nuneaton and a 5-0 thrashing of Hucknall and this great run put the Lions 9 points clear of second place. Marine were the side that finally ended this divison record with a 2-1 win.

This defeat was the start of a more difficult spell for Guiseley as 5 defeats and only 6 wins from the last 14 games saw their 9 point advantage disappear and bring the title battle down to the last day.

Seeing as we had a much better goal difference to second place nuneaton we just had to beat 17th place Gainsborough.

Going into the game we werent in the best form as the previous two games had resulted in defeat but this was soon forgotten as Guiseley romped into a 4 goal lead at half time thanks to 2 goals from the prolific Zavon Hines, one from Debutant Guylain Ndumbu-Nsungu and a Daryl Taylor og. Nuneaton on the other hand were being held 1-1 away at Redditch.

Every thing went the same way as the first half as Ndumbu-Nsungu added a fifth for Guiseley to see them take the title by 2 points as Nuneaton struggled to a draw against Redditch.

Table

http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tableyr9.png

In the cups we had mixed fortunes as we only made the first round of the FA Trophy and the Third round of the Setanta Shield. But we had a good cup run as we knocked at local rivals Harrogate as well as Halifax at the Shay before being put out on penalties by League One Bradford after holding them to 1-1 draws at home and away.

Next seasons aim is to make sure we survive although i am hoping for a bit better than that really and another FA Cup run would be very welcome to help boos the clubs finances. New additions will be needed as star performers from last season Scott Gardner and Lee Hildreth will have finished there loans and most probably wont be returning but overall things are looking good.

Real London FC got caught up in the 2035 time warp 3 days ago, leaving them all the way back in June '08 - without anyone realizing what actually happened. Its just cause that this was the day that manager Craig "NepentheZ" Douglas took over the club all those years ago as a young hopeful, and he will have to do all his hard work again. (Although he doesn't know what his "future" held).

Here, yet again, is the profile of NepentheZ

NepentheZ - Managers Profile

Last time around, it took me a long time to progress through the divisions. With what I learned playings Daf's Challenge the first time round with Real London, I have a feeling it could be a lot quicker this time. My chances of completing this, or Gundo's Challenge look pretty slim now, but I'll give it a shot. Wish me luck. :)

Jimbo - Didn't want to leave you out in the cold, mate, so here I am, no real players - looking forward to it.

Real London FC got caught up in the 2035 time warp 3 days ago, leaving them all the way back in June '08 - without anyone realizing what actually happened. Its just cause that this was the day that manager Craig "NepentheZ" Douglas took over the club all those years ago as a young hopeful, and he will have to do all his hard work again. (Although he doesn't know what his "future" held).

Here, yet again, is the profile of NepentheZ

NepentheZ - Managers Profile

Last time around, it took me a long time to progress through the divisions. With what I learned playings Daf's Challenge the first time round with Real London, I have a feeling it could be a lot quicker this time. My chances of completing this, or Gundo's Challenge look pretty slim now, but I'll give it a shot. Wish me luck. :)

Jimbo - Didn't want to leave you out in the cold, mate, so here I am, no real players - looking forward to it.

Good luck Nep, if I'd lost all that hard work to get a game as far as you did, I don't know if I could go back and start again.

Breaking News

Real London Chairman, David Robinson is looking to Step Down from the board.

Unsure as to weather he'll sell the club, or appoint another board member as Chairman, NepentheZ is already having doubts over weather or not he'll be able to keep his job at Real London. :(

NepentheZ released the following statement -

"I hope the new chairman can see my ambition and love for this club, and keep me on as manager. I understand that with a new Chairman comes new ideas, but I'm positive I can be everything he wants me to be"

Its not easy mate, I assure you that. Especially as the work with the Youth Projects was a massssssive part of my game there. I'd invested hours on that, and was really looking to getting a team littered with my own youth players.

Will you be focusing on that this time too or put that in the background and focus instead on getting promoted faster?

Welcome back Nep.

I must admit that after getting relegated and sacked with Hitchin in 2009 I was expecting a long hard slog with Borehamwood, but I am already getting a "feel" for the team and I am easing into it nicely, (league position is unimportant at this stage, although 15 games unbeaten in the mid part of the season certainly helps)).

I suppose inheriting "home grown" players such as Scott Doch make it easier.

I have never had a player of such ability come through at such a lowly reputation club that I was managing.

He has only just turned 17, (in January), so up until that time he was on a part time youth contract, hence the reason why I have been reluctant to start him every week despite him being my best striker.

My coaches think that he has the potential to become a leading League 2 player and I would expect him to be able to play at least in League 1 and possibly in the Championship, so I would hope that he will become the early focus of my save.

Nice one Jimbo. That guy has mad potential, as his Physical and Technical are already decent, and will get better in time, and we all know Mental continue to progress throughout the players career. Could have a superstar on your hands there.!!!

I'm struggling right now, tbh. I just can't find a comfortable first team to go with, and although am still in pre season, I'm not entirely sure the squad I've got can even get me mid-table :(

Archived