dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Scoham:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MikaelS:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scoham:

Was just asked to set my squad bonuses, for the league I had a choice between £1k, £2k and £3k icon_biggrin.gif

I'm guessing they can't get any lower than that?

no matter what, be sure to select normal bonuses. Everything will give you a challenge on your hands. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whys that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I chose the low bonus in the first season with Chippenham and I struggled with players being unhappy with the low bonus and morale was really low. Someone in this thread mentioned he chose the high bonus and his players suddenly thought they could win everything = overconfidence.

Grrrr! My board are irritating me.

It's december, time to renew some contracts. I would have done it at the start of the season but being 500k in the red meant I was too poor.

Now I'm about 500k in the black and things are only going to get better BUT...

The board are unhappy with the wage bill and want me to cut down. Last season I had a wage bill of 30k which was under the limit. This season they've revised it down to 24k.

That means now I can't offer some players the same wage as before! So I can't even match the old contract for some of my star players. I don't see many players accepting a wage drop at the moment. Even worse is the fact Anson, my star striker and fan fave, doesn't think we can afford him anymore...and he's right! The most I can offer is 2.4k a week.

I can't bleed funds from my transfer budget because...I don't have one. Well...I do. £484 to be exact. Not quite enough to make a difference.

I've released as many players as I can, which has only cut the wage deficit to -4k a week. Still too much according to the board. What do they want!!!

They can afford to give me more money, at least enough to keep key players here surely. I'm tempted to demand more money but I don't want the sack. Anyone here had good responses to wage requests?

Originally posted by dafuge:

To sign a player, you must be able to scout them, this doesn't mean you have to, just he must be accessible to your scouts. If you have a foreign player on a free transfer who is willing to come on trial, you do not need to be able to scout them.

Am I correct in assuming that you must take players on trial before you can approach to sign them? Can you approact to sign whilst he is on trial, or only when his trial is completed?

I'm going to start a new challenge after making the mistake with approaching to sign Hadji; tbh I haven't touched that saved game for a while as I've been doing some research on Barca lately. Deleted all those Merthyr Tydfil saved games in fact icon14.gif

Originally posted by Seasoned Alcoholic:

I'm going to start a new challenge after making the mistake with approaching to sign Hadji; tbh I haven't touched that saved game for a while as I've been doing some research on Barca lately. Deleted all those Merthyr Tydfil saved games in fact icon14.gif

thats great, good luck with your next attemp

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

To sign a player, you must be able to scout them, this doesn't mean you have to, just he must be accessible to your scouts. If you have a foreign player on a free transfer who is willing to come on trial, you do not need to be able to scout them.

Am I correct in assuming that you must take players on trial before you can approach to sign them? Can you approact to sign whilst he is on trial, or only when his trial is completed?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As soon as the player has joined you on trial and you can read his coach report, you are free to sign them. You do not have to wait for the trial to end. Obviously if you are able to get a scout report on the player you don't need to do any of this.

Is this right because I've just started a game with AFC Wimbledon and if I adjust the transfer budget the least amount of money I can spend is 92k. I thought the object at the start of the game was to see what you can do with no money

Just realised that this is Darryl Knight's league stats for Billericay:

Appearances: 100

Goals: 99

Does anyone else have a player with a similar league record? Just realised how great he's been for me, and he's not even my best striker anymore (my coaches believe Adams and Koksa are Championship level players).

Originally posted by wisla_krakow:

Does anyone else have a player with a similar league record? Just realised how great he's been for me, and he's not even my best striker anymore (my coaches believe Adams and Koksa are Championship level players).

Ashley Barnes

pld:214

scrd:180

Originally posted by kyle_11:

Is this right because I've just started a game with AFC Wimbledon and if I adjust the transfer budget the least amount of money I can spend is 92k. I thought the object at the start of the game was to see what you can do with no money

hm I dont think so? I have at least not seen any rules regarding the amount of money you can use.

Originally posted by wisla_krakow:

apps: 421

goals: 393

Originally posted by kyle_11:

It's completely up to you how you budget it, I didn't spend anything until the Premier League.

Originally posted by kaNovi:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wisla_krakow:

apps: 421

goals: 393 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bradshaw?

Have you got a screenshot of your overall best 11 kanovi?

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Seasoned Alcoholic:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As soon as the player has joined you on trial and you can read his coach report, you are free to sign them. You do not have to wait for the trial to end. Obviously if you are able to get a scout report on the player you don't need to do any of this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for clearing this up mate, just waiting for a new database to reach 18th June 2008, then I'll save, go on holiday till the next day, before starting a new game up icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Seasoned Alcoholic:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As soon as the player has joined you on trial and you can read his coach report, you are free to sign them. You do not have to wait for the trial to end. Obviously if you are able to get a scout report on the player you don't need to do any of this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for clearing this up mate, just waiting for a new database to reach 18th June 2008, then I'll save, go on holiday till the next day, before starting a new game up icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

or you could use this one:

Savegame for Dafuge Challenge (saved on the 18th of June 2008)

Last night I shut down my game and clicked no to saving it in a drunken error.

I'd lost just about every game of the 20 matches or so that I played and havent the heart to go back to it.

I am therefore calling it a day. Shame really, was on season 2017/18.

On a more positive note I kept a North Ferriby save, the closest team to Hull (and presumably guaranteed to have Hull as a feeder club) so will pop back to this challenge sometime soon.

It's been emotional!

Witton Albion - 14/15 - League 1 - Rodrigo De La Vega

Table

Graph

Bah. Not a great season. Not horrific though. I told the board mid table and thats what I got. Good enough considering they were being tight with the purse strings.

On the up side we made plenty of money and the team is showing some signs of promise. What is clear though is that I only have one reliable striker, Anson. So, need to get another striker for next season, and maybe get an extra defender in to shore things up a little.

Ooo, just offered Anson a new contract and I can finally meet his demands. Maybe things'll work out.

Roll on next season, providing the board renew my contract!

Tiverton Town - 08/09 BSS Midseason review

Mixed emotions going into the new year for Boy Keane. Good work at the start of the season has been undone by runs in cup competitions. The highlight of these coming in the FA Cup;

2nd Qualifying Round: H 4-2 Taunton

3rd Qualifying Round: A 3-2 Hastings Utd

4th Qualifying round: H 3-1 Tooting & Mitcham

FA Cup 1st Round: A 2-0 Exeter

FA Cup 2nd Round: H 3-3 Mansfield

FA Cup 2nd Round Rep: A 3-2 Mansfield

FA Cup 3rd Round: A 0-4 Liverpool

While it has secured the clubs finances it has left the squad looking tired and struggling for consitancy.

It is looking likely to be a struggle to push on in the table from the solid start.

With the squads strengh mainly coming from loan signings Boy Keane will be looking in the coming months to find the 11 players which will hopefully become the heart of the team for years to come.

The main aim at the start of the season was to be in a strong position going into the final stages. Giving Boy Keane the time to release all loan signings and have a closer look at the credentials of those already brought in this season.

Time to put the cup mentality behind them and get down to the bread and butter.

Tiverton Town - 08/09 BSS Season review

Boy Keane's prediction of a 1st place finished proved to be spot on in the end.

Table

Graph

In terms of results a good solid start, Tivvy hit the top early and only fixture congestion and a slight dip in form mid season saw them drop slightly.

The main concern will be the ability of the players brought in by Boy Keane. It became clear early on that Tivvy were going to have to rely mainly on loan signings as the youngsters recruited pre season were mainly not up to scratch.

A total of 32 players signed pre season 12 loan signings and 20 on 1 year part time contracts. Of the 20 only 6 have been deemed good enough to be given long term full time contracts. 3 have been offered a thurther 1 year part time deal. The remaining 11 all to be released.

6 Signed

Bowman

Caddick

Cotton

Green

McIntosh

O'Brien

Some serious work needs to be done with the squad before the start of the next season but the foundations are in place.

Boy Keane will be hoping he can get the deadly Mason brothers back on loan for another season. The pair contributed 59 goals between them but the intrest they attracted could mean he will be looking elsewhere.

Boy Keane's tactical rating 8/10

Boy Keane's transfer dealings 4/10

Boy Keane's financial control 10/10

Overall season rating 7/10

The aim for next season will again be promotion but the important factor will be putting a aquad in place that is not reliant on loan signings to compete in League 2.

New Challenge Preview (and entry) - Hitchin Town 08/09

Having decided I was now half decent at Football Manager, I thought it would be good to give this a go, taking over "Hitchin Town". Can't say I've ever heard of them but "The Canaries" play at the brilliantly named "Top Field".

After 3 weeks of buying in youngsters (the pick of the youngsters is shown below) to fill a totally empty squad screen I feel I have achieved quite alot. Not least because West Ham have decided that a team with minimal youth and basic training facilities, containing 0 senior squad players was a prime candidate to be their feeder club.

Since they became my parent club, 6 of their youngsters have been signed. Unfortunately the next Franz Beckenbauer (Marko Marin) spurned the opportunity to play at Top Field. I did however manage to sign Marek Stech, James Tomkins, Jordan Spence, Tony Stokes, Fred Sears and Kyel Reid. I am quite amazed we managed to capture a player of Kyel Reid's quality though.

Looking forward to this game more than I thought I would. Bring it on!

Prediction for the season would be a fairly high finish, purely because of the quality players I got from West Ham, they're going to have to put up with playing alongside some crap though. I'd say 5th place (gulp!).

Best player - Kyel Reid

Best young player signed - Josh Ellis Managed to beat 10 clubs to his signiture.

Average age - 19

Manager Screenshot (had to use original skin because the legend skin doesn't have the date on it)

Transfers so far.

Season Review 08/09 - Kings Lynn

A poor start in charge of newly promoted Kings Lynn with an 11-1 drubbing off of parent club Norwich City turned out to be blessing in disguise. A total of 8 city players were on-loan at the Walks Stadium throughout the season, including two of the strikers that took the Linnets apart on that fateful July afternoon.

Tipped for relegation by the media and the board, only Crazy Snakeman and the Kings Lynn faithful believed the club could survive but even they would not have believed the rollercoaster ride ahead of them.

Former England international Dion Dublin signed on a free transfer and was made club captain immediately. That signing was followed soon afer by 43 year old former England International, and QPR legend Andy Sinton.

Their experience, coupled with the youthful experience of what was to almost become the Norwich City 'B' team and the offer of high bonuses for winning the league, the season did begin well.

Good cups runs in the Setanta Shield and FA Trophy kept the club afloat financially, however defeat to eventual finalists Bedford in the FA Trophy 3rd round was a particular low point in a competition the fans had begun to believe could have graced the newly built trophy cabinet at the Walks Stadium.

The league was fairing well too; climbing to mid-table by September, and soon after into the playoff positions the Lynnets enjoyed a strong season in the league all season, finally finishing fourth after 3 defeats in the final three games.

League Table

Positions Graph

Soon the playoffs were underway. A 1-1 draw away in the first leg against Tamworth, a side that had beaten Kings Lynn on the season run-in set up an intriging 2nd leg encounter. In front of a massive 3250 spectators Chris Brown scored the only goal of the first half to put the Lynnets in front. Tamworth came at Kings Lynn early doors in the second half but they hadnt banked on 18 year old Goalkeeper Declan Rudd having the game of his season. With Tamworth throwing everything at Kings Lynn, putting the goal at siege, but they could not beat the young Norwich Loanee. Then in stoppage time, a quick counter attack and Phil Ormrod found the onion bag at the other end. King Lynn were through to the Playoff final.

So the biggest day in Kings Lynn's history approached, a Blue Square Conference North Playoff final against Hinkley at the Pirelli Stadium.

Hinkley took an early lead but before King Lynn manager Crazy Snakeman could begin to worry if this would not be their day goals from topscorers Chris Brown and Chris Martin flipped the game on its head and thats how it would stay.

Promotion in his first season in charge, and the key to the city. What a season it had been.

Playoff Final

A poor defence leaked a massive 103 goals thoughout the season so a strong attack was required to keep the team from defeat after defeat.

Three Norwich City loanees had this covered scoring a huge 115 goals between them.

Kris Renton

Chris Martin

Chris Brown

Its going to be a tough season in the Blue Square Premier next season with both former England internationals retiring and all loanees returning to their parent clubs, so it is going to be a busy closed season for the manager and chairman's cheque book.

Seasoned Alcoholic

Halesowen Town 08/09

BSN

Manager Profile

Started up a new challenge as Halesowen Town in the BSN. After a quick look at the first team squad, there seems to be some ability in place already (at its cost, mind icon_biggrin.gif ), although I may need to get a grip on what we're currently spending on weekly wages tbh. Quite a few players out of contract soon as well, so this will be an opportunity to dump some prospective duffers early on and to bring in fresh replacements, regardless of whether they're regens or not.

Finances - Salaries

Squad Contracts

Originally posted by xx2olegendxx:

6 Signed

Bowman

I hope you have more luck with him than I did... released him after three years without him making more than 5 appearances!

He probably needed more first team opportunities than I was willing to give him, no doubt some loans would've helped

Ok, main summary time...lots of links!!

AFC Wimbledon 10/11 Blue Sqaure Premier (mistake in above post) Review

PRMOTION!!!

SETANTA SHIELD!!!!.....1st ever trophy for AFC Wimbledon.

Setanta Final

Reaction to trophy

Apart from the trophy, getting to play at Wembley and the £120k from the gate were the best parts of the day icon_biggrin.gif

BSP Season:

Table

Graph

As you can see, loads of goals, weaker defence this year though. Had a slow start due to the problems caused by low bonus incentives and was never a chance to catch Grimsby

Playoffs:

Semi Leg 1

After this I had to attack and get a result and thought I was gone when they equalised, threw 4 foward and kept them there until 115th minute icon_biggrin.gif

Semi Leg 2

Semi Leg 2 Match Stats

Then it was a trip to Brittania Stadium in front of 22421 for the battle against York.

Playoff Final vs York

Dominated 1st half, then they struck right after the break, devasted but Bowman pulled us level straight away. Pushed 4 foward again late and got it through sheer pressure.

Playoff Final Stats

League Two (and professional status) here we come icon14.gif

Squad-Pre playoffs

Transfers

Some of the players signed this season to make a big impact:

Lea

Henderson

Hughes

James

and best new signing:

Strickland

Confidence Summary Screen

Board were upset with 2 things.

1. The loss 0-6 to Aston Villa in FA Cup 3rd Rd

and more importantly,

2. Going out in 1st Rd of FA Trophy, which I didn't care less about (just like Setanta..lol)

Finances

The FA Cup 3rd Rd was the biggest money earner and then the Setanta win and Playoff Final paid for all the bonuses to the squad.

Current Profile- Popular Manager

Hope all links work.

billericay Coca-Cola League 2 2013-14 Season

what a season with us finishing 7th and in the playoffs season started a bit sketchy but with some good performances are form took an upward turn and in the playoffs in the semi against prot vale we won an epic game 5-3 on penalties after an 8-8 draw over the 2 legs and then went on to beat tranmere 3-2 at wembley in front of the biggest crowd we've had of 66,521

after a little bit of tactical signs we had a this squad for te season and once again Liam Henderson was are star player

confidence of the board in what im doing is looking good and with that playoff final the finances are looking great and last but not least my end of season profile

goals for next season

1) avoid relegation

2) improve squad

3) try and get to 2nd round carling cup

4) try to get to 3rd round FA cup

5) try to win Johnstone paints trophy

Now I'm in my second season in the Championship I can finally scout the rest of Europe icon14.gif

My board however has given me £0 transfer kitty icon13.gif

I may have to sell some players to get some transfer funds in, unfortunately the players that I'm willing to sell aren't targetted by other clubs.

This is turning out to be a strange season, I'm a little bit worried about my board confidence.

I'm currently below expectations in the league, somehow I'm 12th despite having the 3rd best GD in the league. The board are very unhappy.

Carling Cup they wanted me to reach the QF, I got Chelsea away in the 3rd round and got knocked out, they are unhappy.

Same thing looks like it'll happen in the FA Cup, expected to reach the 5th round, got Arsenal away in the 3rd round. I've not played it yet but they are the league leaders so they are bound to knock me out.

I've mentioned it in GQ before, but it is ridiculous how the board can set a target for you in the cups, regardless of who you are drawn against.

Around half way through my first season in the championship sitting in a mid table position after a recent dip in form! occupied playoff places after a good unbeaten run - however have recentlty been struggling for goals!

i have made the decision to recall old BSS / BSP hero Zavon Hines from my reserves hoping he can show his old magic! Him and charlie sheringham used to score for fun for me - however they might be a bitty outa there depth!!

also does anyone know if regens get hair cuts!! as am sure my midfielder Farrel is sporting a new hair doo? or perhaps i neva paid attention to his picture orginally!!?

Hello all, recently had a go at a couple of challenges, Gundo's challenge got abit boring I felt as it was too easy to reach the top flight, but too hard to win the Champions League. Evertonblokes I enjoyed but the thread was dead so it started to become less fun!

So now it's time for me to give this one a whirl! Currently holidaying as we speak, i'm in uni tomorrow but then I have two weeks off so expect to see plenty of seasons zipping by icon_smile.gif

I`ve got 1 question before i try this challenge;

Say, after 1 season holidaying i see that Lewes is relegated and replaced by team X. however i can`t find a job. So i holiday another season and see that lewes is promoted back and they want me as manager, am i permitted by this challenge to join them???

Originally posted by Sytse:

I`ve got 1 question before i try this challenge;

Say, after 1 season holidaying i see that Lewes is relegated and replaced by team X. however i can`t find a job. So i holiday another season and see that lewes is promoted back and they want me as manager, am i permitted by this challenge to join them???

No, the only teams that are eligible are the ones who have never played in the BS N/S from 07/08 onwards. These are the teams in the three feeder leagues listed on the first page.

Archived