dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

Originally posted by dafuge:

New Stadium \o/

Rubbish name though icon_frown.gif

Only a year until you move in, with a very impressive capacity.

My Hitchin side should be moving into the new 14225 seater stadium in a little over 1 game month \0/

Is it allowed to set up a biggish European club in the first friendly at the new stadium?

I usually let the ass man do that job but I's like to christed it with a big game first.

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AFC Wimbledon - End of Season 6 - League One

Table

Squad

Transfers 1 | Transfers 2

Once again my team surpasses my expectations! I was hoping that maybe we would just sneak into the top half with a bit of luck, but a late season revival threw us into the play-offs! Unfortunately we were hammered 4-0 at home in the first leg, resulting in a lot of fines for poor performances, and were unable to recover and reach our second final of the year.

But for once, we made our presence felt in the cup competitions. We reached the Third round of the FA Cup, managing to force a replay with Hull, which made us a huge financial gain. But the biggest success has to be THIS!!!. I was absolutely amazed by our performances - especially in the South Final where we lost 4-3 Away to Southend in the first leg but managed to win the home leg 3-1 thanks to 2 late goals from skipper Obeng and my superstar chocolate bar Bueno!

To be honest, I'm not too disappointed by not being promoted this year as I think it would have been a very painful season in the Championship. The major aim now is to build on this in the next two seasons and hopefully end up promoted in either of the next 2 seasons. Hopefully I can get some more money-spinning cup ties as well as all these win bonuses are crippling my finances!

My 2 Star Men: Nicolas (Kinder) Bueno | Lee Holmes

New Stadium \o/

I know what you mean. Mine is the inventively named Witton Stadium. Though I'm only in 2014 and L1. I though you, in the prem and managing for longer might at least get a better name, even if it's not named after you.

Hitchin - Championship 2013/2014

After getting promoted last season I really expected a struggle to survive in the league. Thanks to the cup run we had in the previous season we had a large bank balance to help us survive financially.

As the table shows we ended up a respectable 11th. We were never really troubled with relegation or even a playoff spot, although at one point we were 1 win off the last playoff spot near the end of the season.

Transfers - the main thing to note here is signing Grendel for £50k and the chairman sellign him for £800K in the January transfer window. I suspect that we may have pushed for a playoff spot if Grendel stayed.

I have also signed a number of players with a lot of potential.

Lee Graham played a lot more then I wanted him to, mainly due to injuries and not enough central midfielders good enough.

Lee Cash should be taking over at left back permanently sooner or later. He did well in the 4 league games I played him in.

Neil Beasley has a lot of potential and can play right back or on the right wing.

Gentian Alikaj was a recommendation from my Albanian striker. I got him in on trial but at that time couldn't afford to buy him.

He did well in most of his first team games. I might chance sending him out on loan next season as he seems to have settled well.

Squad

I had 2 players get over 20 goals this season.

The only real outstanding players were Grendel before he was sold and Guy Nicholls. Jonathan Hayes did pretty well when he joined, but I want more from him next season.

Next season aims:

1. Settle into the new 14225 seater stadium.

2. Get out of debt (much easier since the £1.1M payout for finishing 11th in the league)

3. Get at least 1 new central defender. The problem is in my game a quality DC is hard to find. I've got Mikele Leigertwood joining in July and I may ahve to play him in central defence.

4. Get a few more players with potential at the club and try to bring more of them into the first team.

5. Keep my first choice keeper and left winger, both have made noises at the end of the season that they want to move to a bigger club. If they do go I have replacements aleady in place (or will be by next season)

Originally posted by spankie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

New Stadium \o/

My Hitchin side should be moving into the new 14225 seater stadium in a little over 1 game month \0/

Is it allowed to set up a biggish European club in the first friendly at the new stadium?

I usually let the ass man do that job but I's like to christed it with a big game first. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definitely, I know I will be.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spankie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

New Stadium \o/

I usually let the ass man do that job but I's like to christed it with a big game first. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definitely, I know I will be. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

14k? very swish icon_smile.gif

My first friendly in my 10k was against Chartlon. Only had 400 seats free!

And the first home league game brought in a record breaking 120k gate! My debt worries are over for now!

New Stadium \o/

Am so jealous of you getting a new ground. The next time I do this challenge I'll go as someone like Gateshead, or next year as FC United if it's possible)

Still stuck with my 3k stadium with no toilets, no grass (just mud) and wooden seats.

Just had my best result of the challenge, in the Carling Cup 2nd Round in our first season in League Two.

What happened? We travelled up to Premiership side Everton, and came away with a remarkable 1-0 win to take us into the 3rd round icon_cool.gif.

So far we've shocked Championship Brentford and Premiership Everton, who's next? Championship West Brom.

Though I'm fairly certain we'll be out this round, our luck has to end at some point.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spankie:

New Stadium \o/

Definitely, I know I will be. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've arranged a friendly with Málaga CF.

Not the biggest European club, but the biggest club I've played in a final. Apparently I'll make £160K from it, just to keep it realistic I agreed to pay Málaga £50K for the friendly.

£110K profit, that's one months loan payment taken care of.

Aside from that I stuck with my ass man's friendly arrangements.

The debt has now dissapeared because of the Championship TV money and the 3500 season tickets sold so far.

But I have no transfer budget (except what I raise from player sales) so I'm not expecting too many purchases. I do have some wage budget left, so I may juggle that around and see what transfer kitty I can get.

I do need some more new players as the board are expecting a top half finish this season and that could be hard to achieve if the board sell any more players over my head.

I think that I have now got a bug in my game.

I sent a young midfielder to Bournemouth on loan and for some reason he never returned and I couldn't recall him even though the loan deal did have a recall clause. The board accepted a bid of £100k for him over my head and he's now joined Sheffield Utd, but now appears in my first team screen as a squad player and the Blade's squad as well.

He was lacking physically, but technically he had some good attributes.

Thhis should be a game killer, but is pretty annoying.

Chippenham – BSS – 2009

Satus : semi-pro

Estimated value : 425k€

Media prediction: 21st

Average age: 25

Expectancy: challenge for title

Bonuses: league, high; cups, low

BSS: I won the BSS

FA Cup: first round against Hartepool (L1): 2-2 away, 0-1 home (probably best result of the year)

Setanta Shield: 4th round against Oxford (BSP): 0-1 away

FA trophee: 4th round against Grimsby (BSP): 3-4 home

Squad and tactic

Transfers

Profile in 2009

Remarks: I started the season with a 20 games unbeaten run, that was fantastic. The season then was quiet (except for some games in January and February).

Originally posted by Ben-g:

Chippenham – BSS – 2009

Satus : semi-pro

Estimated value : 425k€

Media prediction: 21st

Average age: 25

Expectancy: challenge for title

Bonuses: league, high; cups, low

BSS: I won the BSS

FA Cup: first round against Hartepool (L1): 2-2 away, 0-1 home (probably best result of the year)

Setanta Shield: 4th round against Oxford (BSP): 0-1 away

FA trophee: 4th round against Grimsby (BSP): 3-4 home

Squad and tactic

Transfers

Profile in 2009

Remarks: I started the season with a 20 games unbeaten run, that was fantastic. The season then was quiet (except for some games in January and February).

How much did the bonuses for the league win cost you and did they put you into the red? (i.e. into debt)

Congrats btw icon14.gif

It cost me 130k€, I had almost 300k€ in the bank, so that did not pu me into the red.

But that's something I did not think about at the beginning of the season (in fact, I thought about it, but I had no idea of the amount of money that would represent)... Next year I will take more care of what I offer to my players...

AFC Wimbledon 10/11 BSP

Quick update, mainly FA Cup related.

Beat Peterborough in the 2nd Rd, my biggest scalp to date.

FA Cup 2nd Rd vs Peterborough (5th L2)

After all the bad morale from low incentives, Pierre Joseph-Dubois shows why he's still my no.1 striker.

Home Stats- Check out the shot attempts

Pierre's form-last 3 matches

I was hoping for a big away game vs a Premier League side (for the $$) and the game didn't disappoint icon_biggrin.gif

FA Cup 3rd Rd---$$$$$

Originally posted by Ben-g:

It cost me 130k€, I had almost 300k€ in the bank, so that did not pu me into the red.

But that's something I did not think about at the beginning of the season (in fact, I thought about it, but I had no idea of the amount of money that would represent)... Next year I will take more care of what I offer to my players...

Must be something to do with wages then, mine took me from over £100k in bank to -£330k or so. If you can keep affording to offer high or medium then I'd suggest you do.

Originally posted by ejthegreat:

AFC Wimbledon 10/11 BSP

After all the bad morale from low incentives, Pierre Joseph-Dubois shows why he's still my no.1 striker.

I was hoping for a big away game vs a Premier League side (for the $$) and the game didn't disappoint icon_biggrin.gif

FA Cup 3rd Rd---$$$$$

You should make a killing there - I got nearly 400K from getting thrashed at Man City in the 3rd round as a BSP team in the same season as you - took my bank balance confidence from about a centimetre of yellow on the left to almost completely green icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by Aario:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ejthegreat:

AFC Wimbledon 10/11 BSP

FA Cup 3rd Rd---$$$$$

You should make a killing there - I got nearly 400K from getting thrashed at Man City in the 3rd round as a BSP team in the same season as you - took my bank balance confidence from about a centimetre of yellow on the left to almost completely green icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Certainly hope so. Although I see Man City has 49k seats to 42.5k for Villa, I'm hoping for at least 300k now, maybe more icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aario:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ejthegreat:

AFC Wimbledon 10/11 BSP

FA Cup 3rd Rd---$$$$$

You should make a killing there - I got nearly 400K from getting thrashed at Man City in the 3rd round as a BSP team in the same season as you - took my bank balance confidence from about a centimetre of yellow on the left to almost completely green icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Certainly hope so. Although I see Man City has 49k seats to 42.5k for Villa, I'm hoping for at least 300k now, maybe more icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a link to my game above the crowd was 40K I think - hope you get on better than I did (lost 8-2)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aario:

AFC Wimbledon 10/11 BSP

FA Cup 3rd Rd---$$$$$

Certainly hope so. Although I see Man City has 49k seats to 42.5k for Villa, I'm hoping for at least 300k now, maybe more icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a link to my game above the crowd was 40K I think - hope you get on better than I did (lost 8-2) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Found it, thanks. Mind you, I'd be happy to put 2 past a Premier League side. In friendlies I've played against PRM sides, I normally lose 3-0 to 6-0..lol

Mind you, I'd be happy to put 2 past a Premier League side. In friendlies I've played against PRM sides, I normally lose 3-0 to 6-0..lol

Well I was too at the time but the fans were not! Def an area of the confidence (Which is a feature that I think improves the game overall) that needs working on IMO - the bar for that match was empty - and now the bank balance is good it has become the negative part of my confidence summary - apparently the record defeat will live long in the memory of everyone associated with the club or something like that anyway icon_frown.gif

Also when looking at the other results I saw that Darlington (just above me in the BSP) went to St Andrews and beat Birmingham (in prem) 0-1 to get through to the 4th round icon_eek.gif

Mind you, I'd be happy to put 2 past a Premier League side. In friendlies I've played against PRM sides, I normally lose 3-0 to 6-0..lol

Well I was too at the time but the fans were not! Def an area of the confidence (Which is a feature that I think improves the game overall) that needs working on IMO - the bar for that match was empty - and now the bank balance is good it has become the negative part of my confidence summary - apparently the record defeat will live long in the memory of everyone associated with the club or something like that anyway icon_frown.gif

Also when looking at the other results I saw that Darlington (just above me in the BSP) went to St Andrews and beat Birmingham (in prem) 0-1 to get through to the 4th round icon_eek.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well thankfully I'm the only non-league side left in so they've got nothing to compare me to icon_wink.gif

Tiverton Town - 2012/2013

First season in Championship, and it was a struggle. We started very well pushing up to 3rd in the table at one point. But runs of 8 and 9 games without wins left us tumbling down the table. We eventually finished 17th, which i felt was very good in such a tough league.

Bad news - one of our best players has left on a bosman and another has been sold for £600k because he was available on a bosman soon and was unwilling to sign contract. The squad are very unhappy about the sale of 2 of our best players.

Originally posted by wisla_krakow:

Just had my best result of the challenge, in the Carling Cup 2nd Round in our first season in League Two.

What happened? We travelled up to Premiership side Everton, and came away with a remarkable 1-0 win to take us into the 3rd round icon_cool.gif.

So far we've shocked Championship Brentford and Premiership Everton, who's next? Championship West Brom.

Though I'm fairly certain we'll be out this round, our luck has to end at some point.

Heh, Billericay 2-1 West Brom icon_biggrin.gif.

Looks like the Cup luck is still running, wonder who I'll lose to in the next round.

Something really strange has happened to the Hitchin board, they could actually see the point in getting a new feeder team icon_eek.gif

I had the choice of York City or Port Vale, both in League 2. I selected Port Vale beacause I have to pay them less and their squad isn't very good and I think the players I'm going to try to send to them might be played regularly.

I hate Aston Villa..lol

Firstly only 30k turn up for my FA CUP 3rd rd match and then, despite my keeper being voted MOM, they stick 6 past me. icon_frown.gif

Aston Villa vs AFC Wimbledon

Player Ratings

On side notes, they had 37 total shots (23 on target), the match confidence was almost empty, just a touch of yellow on the end.

The one good note was the Villa must charge a lot for entry since i made over £400k for the match icon_biggrin.gif

I hate Aston Villa..lol

Firstly only 30k turn up for my FA CUP 3rd rd match and then, despite my keeper being voted MOM, they stick 6 past me. icon_frown.gif

Aston Villa vs AFC Wimbledon

Player Ratings

On side notes, they had 37 total shots (23 on target), the match confidence was almost empty, just a touch of yellow on the end.

The one good note was the Villa must charge a lot for entry since i made over £400k for the match icon_biggrin.gif

400K great news - the empty confidence bar has not affected me too much - the players did not seem to loose any league form after the heavy defeat and if my board can only complain about one poor match I guess I must be doing something right - good luck for the rest of the season icon14.gif

Has anyone every complained about a pen decision and got anything other than the "replays have since shown the officals to have made the correct decision" or whatever it is that they say?

cant really recall. I think I've had the same experience as you.

Have other people seen the AI making subs very early in the game for no reason?

This game for instance - AI took off Carlton who was fully fit at the start after 1 min (and in that min he beat 2 of my defenders to set up his strik partner for a tap in) and bought on Ashton to play wide right and moved Dagnall through the middle - as you will see Ashton only got a 6 rating, got booked and if you add up the goals you will see they scored an own goal, no prizes for guessing who!!

Funny thing was Carlton was the player to watch from their side - apparently he played well for the 1 min with one pass of absolute quality - cannot argue with that as the only time he touched the ball he set up their goal!

Don't want it to seem like I am moaning about the game this afternoon just a couple of things have happened straight after each other

Originally posted by kyle_11:

I just went on holiday mode and when I went to have a look at the teams I could be I noticed that Merthyr tydfil have not been promoted. Do the same teams get promoted or is it just random

it is random. if you want a specific team, you need to try again or look at dafuge's homepage for savegames. I have posted at about page 70-77 with a savegame saved on the 18th of june, so you can skip the long holiday part.

been playing AFC wimbledon for dafuge challenge.... Got three consecutive promotions from BSN/S to L1...and most of the team was made up of free transfers...In L2...i got John Sutton and Mikkel Andersen on free...John though left in Jan for some 400k which my chairman accepted....was disappointing though...played 23 odd matches and scored mere 3 goals....All my promotions were via playoffs...

Season 2012/2013 i got Mikkel Silvestre on Free icon_biggrin.gif....along with out good free transfers...last day before close of transfer window got Hensbury (sp?) from arsenal on season loan icon_biggrin.gif....chased him through the window and he kept rejecting...unsettled him a lot and he came on loan...he is good enough to play EPL lower teams...could be my creative force this season....though has performed way poorer than my other players...hopefully he will settle in quickly...

September end...i am struggling a lot...unbeaten in 3 matches but all draws...but in the League Cup its been fantastic...Beat Championship side Plymouth...second round beat relegation candidates EPL side Birmingham City 0-1...Fulham my next fixture...i think i might lose that 3-0 or 4-0...promised top half finish to board...i think i might get barely mid-table...stadium is still at 4400 something...chairman wont expand nor upgrade facilities...

#4 - In season 2010/2011 finished in 5th place and was promoted to League One from the League Two.

#3 - In season 2009/2010 finished in 2nd place and was promoted to League Two from Blue Square.

#2 - In season 2008/2009 finished in 2nd place and was promoted to the Blue Square from the Blue Square North-South.

#1 - In season 2008/2009 started his game in Blue Square North-South.

Originally posted by freelinet:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Liverpudlian1984:

Started a game with marine because a cant get prescot

profile1gv5.th.jpg

You should go to the website, I'm sure you can get a Prescot Cables savegame there!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Assuming you've tried reloading several times, going on holiday for an extra season or two helps.

Thats how I got Tonbridge Angels. When reloading I saw Prescot Cables, Ramsgate, Heybridge Swifts and similar teams.

Archived