dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone.

Originally posted by kaNovi:

Well done scab icon14.gif

Youre players seems quite good def, is it your second season in the champs?

In the Champions League? If so, yeah, this is the first time we're in it.

Originally posted by def:

Keeping good players is a challenge of it's own.

I lost this gem for a million pounds.

This guy has already requested a transfer which i refused.

This guy on the other hand just joined the club but it's only a matter of time before the vultures come.

I've just agreed transfers out of two of my players... Curtis Obeng requested a move icon_frown.gif so he's gone for just under 200k, and Michael Nardiello has been the worst signing ever, so sold for 50k... as they are both no longer in my plans, i've taken them off training completely, and not playing any type of football... almost like gardening leave!!! (well, i don't want clubs to get fighting fit players from me when i can help it!!!)

GL by the way, scab!

Originally posted by leth4l87:

for those who are in the premier league.. how did you find it the first year?? i got 9 points on my first 3 games and won away with newcastle and tottenham but now I'm on a run of seven games without a win and approaching really fast the relegation zone icon_frown.gif

found it really really tough, first season i went straight back down, luckily due to a few transfers which didnt go through till the july window i di get straight back into the premiership the following yea, stuggled then though only making it to 15th place and finding this season even tougher, in january atm and been sitting at the bottom of the table since the start of the season.

Originally posted by Radon:

I've just agreed transfers out of two of my players... Curtis Obeng requested a move icon_frown.gif so he's gone for just under 200k, and Michael Nardiello has been the worst signing ever, so sold for 50k... as they are both no longer in my plans, i've taken them off training completely, and not playing any type of football... almost like gardening leave!!! (well, i don't want clubs to get fighting fit players from me when i can help it!!!)

icon_biggrin.gif

Thats what I did last season as well. Sold 2 of my aging players around November and rather than have them on zero training, put them on GK training for a change while they waited for January to move clubs. One of them got injured in that period.

My star midfielder is once again requesting a transfer. Last time I accepted, I lost my star defender for a measly 500k. Not going to happen again unless the board has other ideas.

This guy looks like another one set to be the transfer target of clubs. He had itchy feet last season but I managed to renew his contract in time. He first joined the club when I got relegated back to BSS and has been steadily improving since his 4 years with us. Would've made a great winger but for his lack of pace.

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scab:

Champions Cup Final

Come on the Jack Baker in the 120th minute icon_biggrin.gificon14.gif! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah... My late-game luck this season has been rather ridiculous. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Gilbster:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scab:

Champions Cup Final

A massive congratulations on your double. icon14.gif

Shame it wasnt the triple!

You're the first winner of the challenge this year I believe, well done for that.

C'mon Hendon! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it sort of was; the Premier League, the League Cup(Carling Cup?) and Champions League. No FA Cup though.

Originally posted by Scab:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gilbster:

Champions Cup Final

A massive congratulations on your double. icon14.gif

Shame it wasnt the triple!

You're the first winner of the challenge this year I believe, well done for that.

C'mon Hendon! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it sort of was; the Premier League, the League Cup(Carling Cup?) and Champions League. No FA Cup though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry missed the fact that you had the league cup. Almost the quadruple then :p

Season 2018/19 Review - Hendon in the Premiership

Awesome season! What else can I possibly say after finally completing the challenge?

League Table

Liverpool were fighting tooth and nail with us for about the first half of the season, then some key players of theirs got injured and they never really recovered. A comfortable win in April for us in the end. Man Utd relegated for the first time as far as I can tell. icon_eek.gif

Past Positions

A stable season. We were always going to finish either 1st or 2nd.

The Squad

Mills finally started scoring and I've been trying to give Neil "the new Jim Baxter" Gould as much first time football as possible despite his tender age (16-17).

Transfers

Totally regret the Jan van Eck buy. My scout was head over heels about him, but my coaches aren't as excited and he's progressing very slowly in training. Did better in the sales department, making a good bit of money, even though £5M of the Rory Mitchell sale went to his motherclub Toronto FC.

Star Player

The ever-present fan favourite. Had a quiet season in the league finishing 5th in the goal scoring chart with 24 goals, but scored 14 in various cup games.

League Cup Final

Fielded my reserves for most of the cup and if this is any indication, I think some might just be ready for the first team.

FA Cup Final

Still cursing myself for conceding that 89th minute goal bringing the game into extra time.

Champions League Final

I really can't describe this in words. Thinking back on it, I start giggling to myself like a school girl.

Confidence

Surely this is broken... I finished 1st this year and 2nd last year!

Random Stats

Balance: £124,657,500

Wages: £529,738/£690,640

Average Attendance: 49278 (51312 in the league)

Media Prediction: 7th

Squad Average Age: 26

Originally posted by stinger061:

Champions Cup Final

Well done on completing the challenge icon14.gif

Will you still be continuing on with this save now to see if you can continue to dominate? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've actually been looking forward to seeing some of my younger players develop, like Jon Mills (though I guess he's already matured into a CL winner) and Neil "the new Jim Baxter" Gould. Then again, Gundo's challenge is tempting, and so is trying out the new international module. I'm sort of undecided right now, so we'll see.

Tiverton Town - Season 2010/11 - Blue Square Premier

After narrowly missing the playoffs last season after sitting inside them for the majority of the year we did the opposite this time around, sitting just outside for a long period before a strong run home propelled us into 2nd spot and into the playoffs.

League Table

We were drawn against Cambridge, a side we had never lost to in our 4 previous meetings so i went in with plenty of confidence especially given we had won 6 of our last 7 matches in the league.

Playoff Semi Leg 1

This was a really open affair with shots coming in from all over the place. Both teams hit the woodwork and both keepers played out of their skins and i saw enough to be confident of getting the right result at home.

Playoff Semi Leg 2

Sometimes you need to be a little bit lucky in the world of football and on this particular day thats exactly what we were. It was a really even match but we took our chances when they were presented and thats all that counts.

So it was off to the final and i had a full squad to choose from. We took on Kettering who i had hammered 3-0 to kick off my winning run home during the league season so we were favorites going into the match. My star striker Andy Caton went in needing just one goal to break the clubs record for most league goals for the club which sits at 88.

The game kicked off and it was a very cagey affair for the first half with neither team really threatening all that much. Into the break at 0-0 i told the side i was a little disappointed with their first half and it certainly fired them into action.

Joe Mason netted just 6 minutes after the break only for us to be pegged back 5 minutes later. 19 year old Mason who is on loan with us for the second season in a row was in the mood however and re-establised our lead on 62 minutes and soon after had the Tiverton fans in dream land as he completed his hat-trick. Kettering fought back and made for a nervy end to the game, making it 3-2 with 10 minutes to play but as they threw caution to the wind Josh McQuoid capped off a brilliant counter attack to ensure we would be playing league football next season icon_cool.gif

Playoff Final

In between all that there was more glory for the fans as in what was a fairly lack luster affair we also took out the FA Trophy, Andy Caton with the only goal of the game.

FA Trophy Final

Squad

Star Players:

Andy Caton - Once again i can't go past the young striker as out player of the season. Netting 44 goals and going on to equal the record for Most League Goals for the club with 88 as well as providing 24 assits, quite simply a legend.

Joe Mason - On loan for the 2nd season in a row Joe simply shone alongside Caton up front. More often than not it was him the Caton was providing the assists for and his performance in the playoff final was simply sensational.

Josh McQuoid - Another loanee from our parent club Plymouth, Josh played at right midfield for the majority of the season as he couldn't get a look in up front but was too good to leave on the bench. He constantly provided goals for Caton and Mason while also chipping in with 19 of his own.

Originally posted by Scab:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stinger061:

Champions Cup Final

Well done on completing the challenge icon14.gif

Will you still be continuing on with this save now to see if you can continue to dominate? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've actually been looking forward to seeing some of my younger players develop, like Jon Mills (though I guess he's already matured into a CL winner) and Neil "the new Jim Baxter" Gould. Then again, Gundo's challenge is tempting, and so is trying out the new international module. I'm sort of undecided right now, so we'll see. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that you have completed the challenge you are allowed to take on an international job

09/10 Season Review - Gateshead - Conference Treble!

What an incredible season...I had secretly harboured hopes off capturing a play-off place at the most, but this came as a complete surprise.

League Champions

Setanta Shield Champions

FA Trophy Champions

Squad List

After getting no transfer budget again from my board, i wasn't too optimistic about our chances of promotion even though I managed to secure my three Newcastle loanees from last season on another season long loan.

However any doubts I had about our chances were quickly dispelled as we embarked on an incredible unbeaten run from our first game of the season which lasted 29 games, eventually being beaten by former League side, Dagenham and Redbridge. By that time though we were by far and away the best side in the league and held on to top spot for the majority of the season.

What was even more surprising was our amazing cup successes which saw us clinch both the FA Trophy and the Setanta Shield - beating Stevenage in both Wembley finals icon_biggrin.gif

Star Men

Michael McCrudden - Stellar season from the main man up front. Finished as Fan's Player of the Year, Top Goalscorer, Player of the Year and all round Legend.

Shaun "The Viper" Vipond - Picked up on a free from Carlisle in pre-season and proved to be a revellation in his first season. Pulling the strings in the midfield he ended up as Top Assister and 2nd Highest Scorer - absolute bargain

Thomas Butler - Another freebie, this time from Swansea, and yet another great bit of business. Brilliant winger who should be able to make the step up.

However there were one or two things which royally ****ed me off...

Give me a Break - The day after winning the Setanta Shield and a week after becoming champions of the Blue Square Premiership icon_mad.gif

???? - After getting promoted the board said that I should seriously work on the three year plan, hope this bug doesn't get me the sack icon_frown.gif

Anyway...League football here we come!!!

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kaNovi:

Best eleven

kaNovi.

Is Scott Gardner the ex Bolton player with Luxembourg as a 1st or 2nd nationality? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hes an ex leeds player, and yes Luxembourg is hes second nationality..

He has been great for me

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/2384/12012007021710rm3.jpg

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4746/12012007021732of3.jpg

He might be leaving me though, hes contract is running out, and im not willing to meet his wage demands.. ill try to wait a bit before renewing it to see if he lowers hes demands

Originally posted by 3Sixty:

Jim Best XI

Nice to see Alex Campana on your best X1. Up to what division did you consider him for 1st team selection?

Also - question for anyone - what determines the formation for your best X1 - mine bears no resemblance to my current or indeed last season formation

Originally posted by kaNovi:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kaNovi:

Best eleven

kaNovi.

Is Scott Gardner the ex Bolton player with Luxembourg as a 1st or 2nd nationality? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hes an ex leeds player, and yes Luxembourg is hes second nationality..

He has been great for me

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/2384/12012007021710rm3.jpg

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4746/12012007021732of3.jpg

He might be leaving me though, hes contract is running out, and im not willing to meet his wage demands.. ill try to wait a bit before renewing it to see if he lowers hes demands </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's it, Leeds, not Bolton icon14.gif.

I stumbled accross him in FM06 and he has been a firm favourite ever since, (but I have to sdmit it he was a bit soft and lazy for my liking in FM07) icon_wink.gif.

Originally posted by kccircle:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 3Sixty:

Jim Best XI

Nice to see Alex Campana on your best X1. Up to what division did you consider him for 1st team selection?

Also - question for anyone - what determines the formation for your best X1 - mine bears no resemblance to my current or indeed last season formation </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he may have been a regular until league 2, i can't really remember though, seems so long ago.

Archived