dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jamesy247:

I'm just about to start this challenge and I really want to manage Buxton as i've been to quite a few of their games over the years. The problem is after about 30 or so reloads they have still not appeared.

Has anyone managed them or even seen them in the Blue Square northern?

Should I just give up and pick a different team?

There's no record on the website of anyone ever managing Buxton, so unless you are really really lucky you might need to pick a different team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, after over 50 reloads I think the chance of managing them in less than remote!

Season review 08/09 Guiseley

Well after having to completely restart my season after being 40 games in and 2nd place, I managed to come top, with basically the same amount of points. The main difference was Boston not signing Toni Ameobi and having to replace 40 goals. I had pretty much the same team, apart from one really promising youngster. But other strikers were great and managed to score 80 goals between four of them with 44 assists (26 of them from Boden).

I managed to meet all the requirements in all competitions, but found every loss coming to a team in the football league or non-league. I played 5 games against teams out of the football league and never scored the first goal, lost 2 games and had 2 replays, and the other game was penalites.

I won manager of the year, and Boden won player of the year, I was given a whooping 0 to stay up with and have managed to raise 76k throough sales, and have 3.5k to spend. I played 6 friendlys, and they havent gone so well . That and a questionable captain choice have made my team morale look like this.

Now the fans and the board are on my back so this year should be realy fun

League Table

Originally posted by MikaelS:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jamesy247:

Right i've managed to get Buxton after so many reloads I lost count!

Here's my profile: http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/sjames247/BuxtonStart.jpg

nice! you should make it a savegame available on dafuges homepage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure.

It's taken me over 5 hours of reloading......lets hope it's worth it.

AFC Wimbledon - End of Season 7 - League One

Table

Play Off Final

Squad

Transfers 1 | Transfers 2

Club Information

Well I have to say I am very surprised once more by my side! My Wombles were cruising top of the league by 3 points at the start of March, but needed a win over Oxford on the last game of the season just to make the play offs! Having been forced into selling my two major South American Stars, Nicholas Bueno and Willian for fees of around 700k, I wasn't very optimistic, but my side really did pull together when it mattered and delivered a fabulous end result!

The best thing about the playoff victory is that now the board will ignore my absolutely terrible performance in every single cup. As JP Trophy holders we departed at the first hurdle, reached the 2nd Round of the League and FA Cups and were awful in each final game! I had little hope for the playoffs this year - but a 7-3 aggregate victory over 3rd placed Cardiff made me believe again, and my players were true heroes and brought back the trophy!

Now is when my team need to shine now though, the Championship is going to one seriously tough cookie and I probably will have to slowly ease out some of my favourites because of the increase in opposition quality - it will be hard dropping some players like Hellings, Obeng, Crowther, McDonald and Mtandari, players who have been there from the very beginning, but it may have to be necessary to survive!

But right now is the time to celebrate - and remember that you're a Womble!

My 2 Star Men: David O'Malley | Jose Zamora

Doing well so far http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/sjames247/6games.jpg

Mainly down to finding this gem of a player http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/sjames247/marceta.jpg

just hope I can keep it up. So hard to find players for no transfer fee.

I've managed to employ an ass manager mainly just so I can filter my shortlist, and 1 scout to find any players that don't require a fee! The worrying thing is i'm £550 a week obove my wage bill.........I just know it's going to come back and haunt me!

Jeez it's hard, but far more enjoyable than my Derby County save. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by jackyb1989:

AFC Wimbledon - End of Season 7 - League One

Table

Play Off Final

Squad

Transfers 1 | Transfers 2

Club Information

Well I have to say I am very surprised once more by my side! My Wombles were cruising top of the league by 3 points at the start of March, but needed a win over Oxford on the last game of the season just to make the play offs! Having been forced into selling my two major South American Stars, Nicholas Bueno and Willian for fees of around 700k, I wasn't very optimistic, but my side really did pull together when it mattered and delivered a fabulous end result!

The best thing about the playoff victory is that now the board will ignore my absolutely terrible performance in every single cup. As JP Trophy holders we departed at the first hurdle, reached the 2nd Round of the League and FA Cups and were awful in each final game! I had little hope for the playoffs this year - but a 7-3 aggregate victory over 3rd placed Cardiff made me believe again, and my players were true heroes and brought back the trophy!

Now is when my team need to shine now though, the Championship is going to one seriously tough cookie and I probably will have to slowly ease out some of my favourites because of the increase in opposition quality - it will be hard dropping some players like Hellings, Obeng, Crowther, McDonald and Mtandari, players who have been there from the very beginning, but it may have to be necessary to survive!

But right now is the time to celebrate - and remember that you're a Womble!

My 2 Star Men: David O'Malley | Jose Zamora

Well done on your promotion, a great achievment to get to the prem. Keep it it up and good luck for the following season.

icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by José Pandinho:

I've only read the past few pages of this thread, those since I started the challenge myself, but it's just struck me that I don't recall ever seeing anyone lose a playoff final. Weird.

84 pages and you've only read the last few, and you don't recall anyone losing a playoff final?

Hers a clue start at page one then page 2 then page 3 etc then come back and see if no one has lost a playoff.

I've only read the past few pages of this thread, those since I started the challenge myself, but it's just struck me that I don't recall ever seeing anyone lose a playoff final. Weird.

Me versus Nuneaton in 09/10 was a very close run thing. TBH, nicking a goal or penalties was the only way I was ever going to beat them - fortunately they missed 3 out of four penalties because otherwise they had dominated the game and run me ragged every other time I had played them.

It was a particularly flukey win and one we didn't deserve.

The thing that strikes me is a a lot of people are saying 'oh I managed to get such and such' and I wonder if they're sticking to the scouting/trial limitations of the challenge. Well that and I'm surprised at the number of people who blow the BSS/BSN away - then again, I had no urge to alter the finances and no friendly parent club

The only two non UK signings I've made have been established players in the English leagues, Barrau and now Djordjic who's replaced him on the left wing.

In other news: sadly, Chris Coward has played his last game for the club and was released on a free in the close season.

Determined not to rely so heavily on loans or only to use them in an emergency has seen me build my strongest Marine side yet with a cracking frontline (And yes, Mr. Spencer is back on loan again... Hopeful of promotion this season and then Everton may well let him go in the close season, or at least the prospect of league football may be enough to entice him to a permanent move.)

Originally posted by xx2olegendxx:

So on we went our first ever trip to Wembley to face Chesterfield in the final. Slightly dissapointing to only see a crowd of 27,000 for the final but our first ever final who could complain.

Returning from injury Brierley was only given a place on the bench and Coppinger was again employed as a lone striker. The managers faith was repayed after only 9 mins as he took the ball from in his own half before rounding the keeper and slotting it home. We were looking comfortable for the rest of the half and going in with the 1-0 lead at the break I was starting to believe we could pull it off. My decision to come out for the 2nd half with a slightly more attacking formation to push for that decisive 2nd goal probably was to blame for Chesterfields early 2nd half equaliser but we were still looking the more likely to score. However it wasnt to be as I sat and watched chance after chance go begging I could tell there was going to be a sting in the tail. The 90 mins passed along with extra time and the match was to be decided from the penalty spot. After watching Kizzy hit the bar in the 120th min and then Brierley drive the rebound wide with the keeper nowhere to be seen I knew it wasn't our day as was proved with the fact we missed every one of our penalty's losing the shootout 3-0.

Page 81 icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by José Pandinho:

I do believe the word is 'pwnt'.

By the way, if anyone gets a game starting off in 08/09 with either Kendal or Lancaster, can they pleasure put it up on the main challenge page?

So on we went our first ever trip to Wembley to face Chesterfield in the final. Slightly dissapointing to only see a crowd of 27,000 for the final but our first ever final who could complain.

Returning from injury Brierley was only given a place on the bench and Coppinger was again employed as a lone striker. The managers faith was repayed after only 9 mins as he took the ball from in his own half before rounding the keeper and slotting it home. We were looking comfortable for the rest of the half and going in with the 1-0 lead at the break I was starting to believe we could pull it off. My decision to come out for the 2nd half with a slightly more attacking formation to push for that decisive 2nd goal probably was to blame for Chesterfields early 2nd half equaliser but we were still looking the more likely to score. However it wasnt to be as I sat and watched chance after chance go begging I could tell there was going to be a sting in the tail. The 90 mins passed along with extra time and the match was to be decided from the penalty spot. After watching Kizzy hit the bar in the 120th min and then Brierley drive the rebound wide with the keeper nowhere to be seen I knew it wasn't our day as was proved with the fact we missed every one of our penalty's losing the shootout 3-0.

Page 81 icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I had lost something like 3 out of 4 at one point in my career, it was in one of my earlier games so it will be near the start of the thread.

I honestly think it is harder to win the playoffs when you finish in the highest position of the four teams. I found finishing fourth as the form team gave me a much better chance of winning.

AFC Wimbledon 13/14 League One

After 223 games, my left winger and captain, Ryan Hall has requested a transfer because I rejected a (pitifully small) offer for him. icon_frown.gif

Accepted the request since I know from past experience that's the best chance I have of making him happy and thus staying. His contract expires at the end of the season so I only have 1 transfer window left if I can't turn him around.

He's on favoured personnel at the club and lists the club and myself as favourite personnel yet wasn't enough.

My central defender of top champ/mid prem quality looks to be about to go the same way. At least I have an extra year's contract with him.

Originally posted by ejthegreat:

AFC Wimbledon 13/14 League One

After 223 games, my left winger and captain, Ryan Hall has requested a transfer because I rejected a (pitifully small) offer for him. icon_frown.gif

Accepted the request since I know from past experience that's the best chance I have of making him happy and thus staying. His contract expires at the end of the season so I only have 1 transfer window left if I can't turn him around.

He's on favoured personnel at the club and lists the club and myself as favourite personnel yet wasn't enough.

My central defender of top champ/mid prem quality looks to be about to go the same way. At least I have an extra year's contract with him.

Tough luck, that's frustrating when that happens. It all sounds remarkably similar to my situation at Maidstone, my two best midfielders both want to leave and whilst Orlando Roberts has a year left, my other influential midfielder runs out in 8 months and isn't looking likely to stay. Trying to cash in on him during January I think.

Just realised why I struggled in my first save, and at the start of my new one.

I've never played attacking football, always normal or defensive, same with the defensive line.

It looks like we could go on a good run just by attacking teams. Seems to work better when we're the underdogs, as the other team tries to attack giving us more space.

Well the inevitable happened, and our midfield star Kieron Wrightson has left the club as he declared he wanted to leave and only had 7 months on his contract. Rather than risk losing him for nothing, I offered him to the big clubs and Hearts came in with a million pound bid. Was brilliant for us before he got injured in August, but since then he didn't play again then decided he wanted to leave.

Orlando Roberts, our Welsh international has said he also wants to leave, but he has backed down for now but I feel he may have to go in the Summer, as I can only afford to pay him so much before he becomes unaffordable to please.

Originally posted by OTBC:

Is there a save with King's Lynn available from the start that I can download?

I'm a Norfolk boy you see.

I shouldn't have thought so as King's Lynn are relatively easy to get as they have a decent reputation.

In fact, they are almost the AFC Wimbledon of the North so if you don't get them very quickly I'd be surprised!

Merthyr Tydfil-End of Season 1-BSS Update

Well it's my best season of dafuge's challenge so far (including 2007). Got promoted in my first attempt, brought in great players so that i just used the defaul 442 tactics and romped the league. Only won by 2 points but was in control since mid-table and only dropped a few points towards the end for rotating some players. Next season will be a lot tougher because my loanees probably won't be coming back and they make up 8 of my starting 11.

League Table

Graph Star Keeper Star Winger Star Stiker 1 Star Striker 2 Squad 1 Squad 2

Chippenham Town - Season 3, 2010/11 - Preseason report

The second half of last season proved to be a bit of a snoozefest. I finished in mid-table without making any real progress in the cup competitions.

Table

After reading that one or two of my players were tired and in need of a rest I realised a large number of my players were under 20 and I probably needed a few older players for some experience.

So, after a busy transfer period, the team looks like this

Team

Team report

Paul Bolland and Wayne Gray bring some much needed experience, with Christopher Chantler and Ashley Miller bought in for the future.

However eyes will once again be on Mark Preston in the hope that he can find the form he showed in the BSS.

I've just realised i accidently signed some anguillan and other british territories players without getting them on trial or being able to scout themicon_frown.gif guess i'm gonna have to start again which is a real shame because i was really enjoying my current game.

Maidstone United - Championship 2016/17 - End of Season Review

League

Well, the final Championship league table looks a bit like this. A fantastic season resulting in us finishing a very respectable 18th, finishing above Southampton, West Bromich Albion and Birmingham City. Whilst I'm delighted we managed to stay in the league, I can't help but feel we shot ourselves in the foot with our defending. We had the fifth worst defensive record in the division, which is in stark contrast to our attacking record in which we were 9th best. I do believe that if we'd had a back line who didn't concede for fun we may well have challenged the play-offs, but as it is I'm happy to finish in the same league. In truth we never looked in danger of dropping out of the league, only going as low as 20th all season and that was for just a week. The position chart shows that we barely fluctuated from week 12 until the end.

One area in which we were truly out of our depth though was the average attendance, where we had over 3,500 less than the next worst team Scunthorpe United, who had 11,500. No fault of ours, just limited by capacity but if the club don't get off their backside and start building our own stadium we won't be in the Championship very long!

FA Cup

The expectation of the board was to reach the third round. Simple enough really, as we did that by being in the Championship. As it was we got drawn at home to Premier League Sunderland. Not a great tie, as we would be restricted in our gates and probably go out. However, we played brilliantly and deserved the 2-2 draw that set up a replay at the Stadium of Light. They promptly dumped us out with a comprehensive 3-0 win (injuring two of our strikers) but we collected our gate money and got back to concentrating on the league.

Carling Cup

Not much to say about this competition. We got drawn away to League Two Luton Town, which should have been a straight forward passage to round two. What actually happened was that we forgot to turn up and we rightly knocked out easily in a 3-1 defeat. Quite annoyed with the team for that as I'd hoped to make it a couple of rounds and make a bit of money.

Facilities

Once again the club agreed to spend their money on the clubs facilities. Our youth facilities are now good, with our training remaining on average. Knowing they wouldn't spend money on any expansions to the stadium I decided to cheekily ask for more improvements in March. They agreed to both and I should really start to see the benefits of the youth system in a season or two I should hope.

As I mentioned before, still no word on the new ground or if they ever plan to do anything. I can't help but feel we need to fluke our way into the Premier League and hope the additional finance will get them on their way.

Transfers

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, we were essentially forced to sell influential midfielder Kieron Wrightson as he declared he was going to leave and only had 7 months of his deal remaining. Fortunately after offering him out, Hearts came along and bid £1m for him. I took the money and replaced him with Christopher Stokes, who I signed from Bolton Wanderers on a free. He was a revelation and certainly steadied the ship and has proven a worthy replacement.

Additional Info

First Team Squad.

Fixtures: 2016/17.

Transfer History.

Club Information.

Records.

Confidence.

Finances.

Manager Profile.

Manager Information.

Aims

Well I achieved what I wanted to achieve by staying in the Championship for another year. I'm hoping we'll push on this season and perhaps break into the top half, certainly if we can sort our defence out. For the cups I'd like to reach the third round of the League Cup for the first time and I'd to play one of the 'big four' away from home in either the League or FA Cup. Otherwise, it's more of the same and hope the club can keep moving in the right direction. One thing that worries me is that my contract is due at the end of the season and a bad year could mean game over for me.

Started the season with 4 straight wins, dominating the opposition and scoring 15 goals and conceding 1, quickly defying the predicitions of 23rd, and erasing the memories of the pre season humiliations. ...Or so I thought, 6 succesive defeats quickly put me right back down the table, conceding 15 and scroing 2. Then going into a clash with the 2 out of form teams in the league, I managed to pull out a 5-1 drubbing am looking forward to a resurgence (fingers crossed)

Originally posted by Jonnyt1990:

Started the season with 4 straight wins, dominating the opposition and scoring 15 goals and conceding 1, quickly defying the predicitions of 23rd, and erasing the memories of the pre season humiliations. ...Or so I thought, 6 succesive defeats quickly put me right back down the table, conceding 15 and scroing 2. Then going into a clash with the 2 out of form teams in the league, I managed to pull out a 5-1 drubbing am looking forward to a resurgence (fingers crossed)

Maybe Not

Into the second season, same pattern as before.

We just can't score/win games icon_frown.gif

Maybe I'm tweaking my tactics too much, maybe I shouldn't have signed any new players, but it feels like a big struggle just to win a couple of games.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong that I'm not seeing.

To do well in the BS N/S do you have to loan several players from bigger clubs to have any chance of even mid table? It feels like bottom 8 or so is the very best I'll ever be able to hope for.

Well I should be writing up my season review telling the story of how despite leaking goals for fun and having the most shocking defence you could ever wish for, we beat the odds out scoring opponents in a thrilling season.

Instead it's a story of how the bugs in the game just screwed me over and threatened to ruin all my good work.

The first thing I noticed was after completing the playoff finals. While I was handing out the bonus for the seasons league performance (1.25M). Normally at this time if I am not mistaken you get prize money also based on your finishing position. Nothing was announced and nothing was put into my account either.

Then as the season drew to a close and the players were all off on holiday the board make the biggest announcement in the clubs 100+ year history. They take out yet another loan (4th in total now) for the planned expansion of a staggering 436 seats.

So into the new season, I get the news for the TV income for the season, 30M as I was expecting. I give my expectations to the board and they give me a healthy budjet of around 18M. Expecting to need every last penny to build myself a new defence for the coming season I go to my finance screen to find that the money never went into the account.

If I spend my budjet I will be in recievership by the end of the season, if I dont I will be relegated for sure. icon_confused.gif

Ah that sucks with the expansion. That's really unfair. It doesn't even make sense. Why would any club, with or without money, get themselves even further in debt for that many seats. That many seats will take forever to pay itself off, nevermind the interest.

Good luck for the Premiership.

Rodrigo De La Vega - 17/18 - Championship

I was expecting to have a half way decent season after finishing 12th the season before. We'd lost one or two players but the bank balance was better and I'd managed to bring in some new youngsters.

The start of the season wasn't great but it was promising, and then things went gradually down hill. Until it got to the point where we went on a horrific losing streak. I swapped around the formation, going for a 4-1-2-1-2. A dmc infront of the defence and an amc behind the strikers. Things picked up a bit and we managed to get some results out. We managed to finish 15th, which was exactly where the media said we would.

Table

graph

Possibly one of the things that heralded the down turn in form was the sale of Alexsandro. We got £5million plus future incentives for him but it upset the rythmn of the team a little.

Another problem was the keeper. I wasn't able to get a good experienced keeper so I stuck with Connor, which was a mistake. 63 conceded in 48, with only 5 clean sheets. He was clearly out of his depth, even with a decent defence in front of him.

There was some good in the season though icon_smile.gif

Bakos played well and looks like he'll fit right in.

Ballesteros looks like he might break into the first team properly soon.

Braun had another great season. He stepped up to replace the injured Knights and kept the goal count ticking over.

Dvorak did well when he filled the gap left by Alexsandro.

Anson had a great season as always. Over 150 goals for Witton now icon_smile.gif

So the plan for next season? I'm going to break in a new keeper. Even if they're not great they'll be better than Connor. 17 year old Nugent looks like he might have what it takes.

A backup leftback is in order, or at least a promising one who can fill in.

I've already started to replace a lot of the backroom staff. Some of them had been around for as long as me. 10 years in total. Hopefully the improvement in staff and facillities will start to benefit my team.

Fingers crossed for next season.

Adam Daly - Gloucester - 08/09 - Conference South

First season finished and promotion as champions, picked up a few gems on free transfers and supplemented these with loan signings as it is almost impossible to get a full squad on a 2k budget.

Howver i think i must of givena high league win bonus as 60k was shelled out leaving me 30k in the red with the board not happy!!

hopefully i will not have to sell Tom Webb

League TableBartosz SulkowskiJason MycoeJunior Brown

I've decided to take a break from this briefly as I'm failing to see how I can take Maidstone United any further with their ground restrictions. We're losing money fast and wages are spiralling. Might have to sell up at the end of the season and attempt a re-build and hope we can do it on the cheap with youth again.

Subsequently, rather than screw it up, I'm stepping away to my other save game to try and draw up some inspiration.

That's a shame Josh, hope you get that new stadium as soon as you come back to the challenge.

Now a question for anyone who can help. Why has this guy missed his last 6 penalty attempts and scored only 1/8 total?

Bowman Profile

His mental attributes that I know are that he's fairly ambitious and whenever I make a comment to press that we'll beat opposition, he reacts well, indicating he's ok with pressure.

He's currently 4th choice taker, but top 3 aren't always on the field.

Originally posted by ejthegreat:

That's a shame Josh, hope you get that new stadium as soon as you come back to the challenge.

Now a question for anyone who can help. Why has this guy missed his last 6 penalty attempts and scored only 1/8 total?

Bowman Profile

His mental attributes that I know are that he's fairly ambitious and whenever I make a comment to press that we'll beat opposition, he reacts well, indicating he's ok with pressure.

I don't always have my best rated for PK's take them. I do think concentration and composure may have some baring too.

May seem odd but I ALWAYS have a full back taking my penaltys, most in the game seem to have above average PK's stats and for some reason I find even if they don't they still seem to put them away more often than not.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ejthegreat:

Bowman Profile

I don't always have my best rated for PK's take them. I do think concentration and composure may have some baring too.

May seem odd but I ALWAYS have a full back taking my penaltys, most in the game seem to have above average PK's stats and for some reason I find even if they don't they still seem to put them away more often than not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My 2 best as judged simply by the penalty taking attribute are both full backs and both seem to be at best 50/50 merchants.... icon_frown.gif

The way most of my games go I am interested in a keeper who can save them than which of my players is the best taker! icon_biggrin.gif

in addition to the barrage of messages that guy who said no one ever loses a play off final, i'm 2 seasons in a lost in the play final after coming back to win in the semis after i was 2 goals down. tempted to reload, no, gotta be honest otherwise whats the point.

i'm about to post a season review in a minute

argh! lost in play off final, sorry its all a bit late i almost forgot to post my review i was that eager.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6503/fm3ni2.png my table, i was 1st for over half a season

my best player this season was probably my new captain, this defender literally halfed the number of goals i conceded compared to last season, i'm pretty sure by himself

christian ribeiro

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/6788/chriszx0.png

Billericay Coca-Cola League 1 Season 2014-15

a good season all in all with us avoiding relegaion with 5 games to go finishing in an a credible 19th graph

with a bit of tinkering the 1st team looked like this after bringing in a few new transfers and the star player was once again Liam Henderson

the club finances are looking good and the clubs confidence is great and finally my profile is looking better but need to work on my hands on approach

goals for next season:- avoid relegation improve squad and get stadium increase as now filling stadium most weeks

Archived