FM10: English small club to big club challenge: extended edition

Guest roberto922

To go alongside the Dafuge challenge as well as various other games I'm lining myself up with I'll be partaking in this challenge too.

Starting off at mighty Rye United of Sussex County League Division Two, who are 5 miles down the road from the sleepy village I grew up in.

As ever, here is my profile as required.:thup:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I come from Derby think I'll give this a shot with Borrowash Victoria, meh they're based here in Spondon now for some reason ^_^. Think this challenge could be tough, already exceeding wages and a pretty poor squad too, hopefully I'll be able to get rid of some of these generated players.

Alright lads, very interesting challenge this, just asking for some information about how well setup is the whole lower league system?

Couple of question for you guys who have started If you would?

1. How low down are you playing?

2. Are you in the FA Cups?

3. Are the clubs actually properly setup, what is the standard, how does it vary between levels?

4. How many promotions will it take to get to Blue Square South/North standard?

And the big one..

5. Do you get a full squad (or at least about 16 players) to start with? This would be essential If I was to start my challenge (The give youth a chance one) At this level.

Thanks guys, KUTGW.

Alright lads, very interesting challenge this, just asking for some information about how well setup is the whole lower league system?

Couple of question for you guys who have started If you would?

1. How low down are you playing?

2. Are you in the FA Cups?

3. Are the clubs actually properly setup, what is the standard, how does it vary between levels?

4. How many promotions will it take to get to Blue Square South/North standard?

And the big one..

5. Do you get a full squad (or at least about 16 players) to start with? This would be essential If I was to start my challenge (The give youth a chance one) At this level.

Thanks guys, KUTGW.

I've not long started so not too sure but:

1. I'm playing in the East Midlands Counties League, which is at level 10 and there are quite a few different leagues at this level for you to choose from or above.

2. As it stands I'm entered in FA VASE qualifiers and my county (Derbyshire) FA Senior challenge as well as the East Midlands league cup

3. The clubs are all real and with grounds etc, but the players are not added to the DB because their are no researchers at this level. Since the computer generates players since it is set in levels their is actually a difference in playing standard between each tier, although it is not really big.

4. From level 10 I think 4

5. You do, I have a full first team with a few youth in and a small youth side of about 10 players, so I started with about 15 youth players as well as senior players. The facilties for creating and training youth is very poor at this level though.

Cheers for the response, does that answer mean you are in the FA cup of not? Pardon my stupidity!

Also, from you're original squad, was it made up of total regens, and were they are all just youngsters? How many senior players did you get?

Thanks. :thup:

Cheers for the response, does that answer mean you are in the FA cup of not? Pardon my stupidity!

Also, from you're original squad, was it made up of total regens, and were they are all just youngsters? How many senior players did you get?

Thanks. :thup:

Unfortunately not (I wasn't sure myself lol), their should be 6 qualifying rounds but the game only allows 4 aparantly. On the up side though although level 10 teams, the bottom available are left out, if you are in level 9 or above you get to go into the qualifying rounds. So if you decide to pick a team above or get promoted you get 4 qualifying rounds and then the championship and premiership teams get thrown in :).

They were all regens but I got senior players too, 18 players ranging from 21-28.

Right finally FM10 arrived today and this challenge has wet my appetite. Starting this with Downham Market. I live 10miles away from them and used to play for their youth team.

Manager Profile

As you can see, i'm on £275 per week, which is ridiculess at this level. I have a poor squad but have a couple of decent players which I can work with. I've been given £500 to spend on transfers and £1000 per week to spend on wages. I'm really looking forward to playing this game.

Good to see this is taking off. :thup:

For now, it will be one of the many challenges I may attempt later on (way too much choice with this new editor!). If I do it, I'll play as Rocester Town, the nearest football club to my hometown. Can anyone check what level they are in for me. I think it's Tier 9 (Midland Alliance) but I'm not sure what they've done promotion/relegation wise over the last couple of years. Thanks :)

Ok so I got myself up and running. After the mistake making my guy, is their any way to add a picture to him? I edited in a nickname so he's not called "First Name Last Name" anymore :p. We have a balance of just under 5k, but I fail to see us being able to make any money when the bills all the match day bills as well as a hefty 1k wages, which is already £85 over budget.

For some reason I can't see the forum buttons like emotes and links so I'll just slap my profile here: http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/8542/challenget.jpg

Borrowash Victoria announce Benjani as manager

Born and bred in Derby, the young rookie manager affectionately known as Benjani has taken up the hotseat at Borrowash. Like many other smaller clubs it is reported that the club may be overspending and could struggle in the long term. Many of the teams at this level appear, to the observer, to have very similar skill levels which will make for an exciting season but should also show who is doing well at their clubs. Despite having no stand out players, a midtable expectation which is held by the board is perhaps not an unrealistic one with just a couple of changes both ways.

Benjani was quoted as saying- "It's a great club, the only problem is I have to get two buses which takes ages even though I'm not going very far, probably because of Arriva. We have a few seperate battles here I feel, I'd like to bring in a number of quality players but that does mean somehow getting rid of our high rollers, our training facilities are extremely poor so I need to know my backroom staff can atleast make the best of a bad job and I'm sure it'll be difficult to work out exactly what changes to make tactically at this level but I'm confident for the new season that we will be ready."

On a side note, I wonder how much it'll take to upgrade the training facilities. I understand going from say 18 to 20 would be extremely expensive but from say 1 to 3 must be quite cheap in reality, lots of lower league clubs don't have their own place to train so they just pay to use facilities. If the training was for example 1 I mean, surely just finding the money to pay for everyone to have a gym membership would help lol.

Good to see this is taking off. :thup:

For now, it will be one of the many challenges I may attempt later on (way too much choice with this new editor!). If I do it, I'll play as Rocester Town, the nearest football club to my hometown. Can anyone check what level they are in for me. I think it's Tier 9 (Midland Alliance) but I'm not sure what they've done promotion/relegation wise over the last couple of years. Thanks :)

They're still sat snug in level 9 :).

May want to wait to take a level 10 team. The finances are proving a bit dodgy, so the next release may have fixes for that.

Ah good point mate. Guess I may as well make a tactic and play a few games against my reserves to pass the time ^_^.

So I'm using the updated version and since level 10 teams are now amateur I've decided to go with a level 9 team, St. Neots Town in United Countries League. I've never actually heard of them and since I kicked the other manager out I'm sure some of his coaches would walk out too especially this one, but it helped decide my decission for me: http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/5641/legsf.jpg

Strangely enough, although the team overall may not be brilliant it is okay and I think we have a couple of really good players who just need to be retrained for something else since I will play 442 such as this guy here: http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/3745/docker.jpg - the board expectations are to fight bravely against relegation with 1.2k a week wage budget currently spending 1.16k, but I went for midtable which gives 1.4k as I think it gives better value than going up to title winner for 1.5.

So all in all I think I'm in a slightly better position than my other save, with a probably very low rep side I have a few good players already and hopefully retraining will go okay. I'm looking at an absolute gold regen that came into level 10, I would give up half my squad for him but Chesterfield and Wrexham are after him so I guess that's it unfortunately.

I see, Ill be downloading now - we dont need to holiday a season do we?

Nope, we can just pick a club and go on this challenge :).

First man in this challenge to get to the BSS/N? I hope so, drew the penultimate game 1-1 with Wealdstone our bogey team, St Albans drew 3-3 with Bognor Regis. o it all came down to the final game, we needed a win against bottom club Bowers & Pitsea, we won 6-0, with both our strikers netting hattricks...

So we had to hope that St Albans lost to Cheshunt, which they did 1-0!! So here is the league table for you.

Guest roberto922

Could I remind everyone to do some form of end of season update when you finish a season, it helps me keep the table up to date and it helps keep everyone updated on your savegame

Ive also changed my mind and gone a Level 9 team. Chose Billingham Synthonia, from the English Northern League Division One.

Manager Profile

Have a decent team, no staff, but Peter Keen looks a useful goalkeeper, and with a free kick taking stat of 15 we could be in for some hilarious sights! 34 year old Mark Salmon also looks a very capable defender for this level.

About the club, worringly my chairman is 'looking to leave', which could be tragic, in better news my squad personality is 'hungry for success' which sounds positive.

Guest roberto922
Does what I just posted count as a season update?

Not exactly, something similiar to this, though you can obviously go into more detail if you wish

This is a really good thread and I will be starting it.

Not sure what level yet, is playing all the levels really slow or is it bearable.

I would like to manage Team Northumbria you see but if its gonna run too slow i will be looking at a higher team.

It looks brilliant thought, just what football manager has been looking for, for years in my opinion.

DJ Cottrill: It all depends on your PC specs, I've got a dual core 2GB processor with 4GB ram and it's fine, the worst part is processing the early rounds of the FA Vase and FA Cup.

I'm reaching the home stage of my first season, made the Norfolk Senior Cup final, what an honour. :D

DJ Cottrill: It all depends on your PC specs, I've got a dual core 2GB processor with 4GB ram and it's fine, the worst part is processing the early rounds of the FA Vase and FA Cup.

I'm reaching the home stage of my first season, made the Norfolk Senior Cup final, what an honour. :D

Thanks i have similar specs so that has helped me to decide on who I want to be, thankyou

Archived