dafuge's FM10 challenge

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:( uh oh i could be in trouble a couple of matches ago fitzharris got injured for 10-12 months with cruciate ligament damage. now fitchett is out for 5-6 months :mad: i am without my 2 first choice strikers for, effectively, the rest of the season

Smithers - Oxford City - Blue Square North - 2011/12

League prediction - 21st

League position - 4th (lost in play-off final)

An excellent debut season in the BSN, where we played well all season, and were desperately unlucky not to get promoted. This can best be put down to a lack of experience in the big matches, and thus we were always going to be second-best in the play-off final. Despite the misery and frustration of the play-offs, I am quietly confident and optimistic of next season, and feel that with a few decent signings we can easily be champions. Highlights of the season include the facts that just one team scored more than us all season (by just one goal, ironically the goal which lost us the play-offs), only two teams conceded more than us, and no-one lost less games than us. I can safely say I achieved most of my aims I set out at the end of last season, as we got to the play-offs, improved the tactics from a 4-1-3-2 to a standard 4-4-2 and are now much more financially secure. Nevertheless we still don't have a decent parent club and we really need to do better in the cups.

League Table

Changing Positions

FA Cup run - better than last season, but I'd still like to do better

FA Trophy run - well...a replay constitutes as a run, right?

Transfers - I'm very happy with this aspect of the season. New goalkeeper Jasper Singh was intended primarily as a backup for Billy Turley, but due to Turley's 5-month injury, Singh gained himself a first-team place, where he constantly shone. Indeed although Turley recovered for the play-offs, I refrained from playing him, settling for Singh instead. Phil Anderson, John Scarborough, Chris Blackburn and Nick Meace were added to the defence, and effectively solved our leaky problems of last season. In midfield Scott Hadland and Brett Poate gradually earned themselves regular first-team places, whilst Mark Ricketts provided adequate backup for Luke Thurlbourne. Our best signing has to be 'Super Kyle' Wilson though (and the league is in agreement), who established a phenomenal partnership with Pavol Suhaj, and these two were undoubtedly crucial to our success, as they scored 45 goals between them.

Squad - Our best player all season (my opinion and the fans') was Pavol Suhaj, whose 25 goals and 15 assists contributed to our great runs of form, and he was deservedly nominated for Player of the Season, coming 2nd in Top Goalscorer as well. Elsewhere Andrew Thomas proved to be Mr. Consistent at right-back, and Rossi Jarvis was consistently influential in midfield, as he replaced the disappointing Solomon Shields who was unable to reproduce his

, probably due to the change in formation. Jermaine McSporran's increasing age meant he was used more as an impact player from the subs' bench, but even so his excellent technical skills were on view for all to see. Lee Steele ended his career on a high with a hat-trick against Altrincham, and will be sorely missed as Oxford City's greatest ever goalscorer, although Suhaj is only a couple behind now.

Finances - Again thankfully the board regularly injected cash, but we were usually financially secure due to the removal of most of the unneeded players, and wage reductions. Still need to get in the black though.

Aims for next season:

- promotion

- promotion

- promotion

Ok, I now have my new PC, Football manager and the Internet all at the same time!!

So holidaying very soon, want to be Truro, but most likely will be either Dartford or Tonbridge Angels - depends who I feel like when it's decision time.

Hopefully my game can be as successful as last year :D

:( uh oh i could be in trouble a couple of matches ago fitzharris got injured for 10-12 months with cruciate ligament damage. now fitchett is out for 5-6 months :mad: i am without my 2 first choice strikers for, effectively, the rest of the season

here is their replacement who im hoping will be a bargain, i bought him from gillingham for 5k:

Luis Cumbers apparently a good player for league 2

No idea why, but Rene Steer wants to join me my scout find out. He is under contract at Oldham in League One. He is League One quality and wants to join a Blue Square North team... Well transfer offer of 0 euro got accepted, biggest problem is he wanting 900 euros and i only can give him 550 :(

i know what you mean, last 3 matches i have lost from leading at half time.

ive led 1-0 2-0 2-1 to lose 2-1 3-2 and 3-2:mad:

Contain + Play Even Safer is my best friend when leading a game!

Thank god I have secured my spot in League 2 for next season. Both my keepers are injured, one has a pulled hamstring, and the backup has a hip injury, so I am going to have to choose between Englishman Tommy Townsend, who is 19, or 17 year old Rick Plummer, of Namiba. As I am secure, and the prize money doesn't change between places in League 2, I am probably going to give them a game each, then whoever does the best gets to play in the last game.

I've just played the Quarter Final of the FA Trophy in front of 189 people :(

The other two quarter-finals that day had over 1,000 people each turn up.

My FA Trophy attendances are rather weird:

1st Round Away to Eastwood - 122 Attendance

2nd Round Home Alfreton - 502 Attendance

2nd Round Replay Away Alfreton - 213 Attendance

3rd Round Away Altrincham - 693 Attendance

4th Round Away Droylsden - 189 Attendance.

More people watched Droylsden draw to Sheffield in the 3rd Qual. Round, than watched the 4th Round tie between us :confused:

Thank god I have secured my spot in League 2 for next season. Both my keepers are injured, one has a pulled hamstring, and the backup has a hip injury, so I am going to have to choose between Englishman Tommy Townsend, who is 19, or 17 year old Rick Plummer, of Namiba. As I am secure, and the prize money doesn't change between places in League 2, I am probably going to give them a game each, then whoever does the best gets to play in the last game.

Well, Tommy Townsend only conceded 1 goal, in the 92nd minute, which was a rather lucky goal as it came off the back of the players head as he wasn't looking, but that cost me a win against Luton at their ground, 1-1 not too bad though.

So, Tommy Townsend, 1 goal conceded, 6.8 rating.

Now, for Rick Plummer.

Scrap that, he has a virus, so Tommy automatically gets the nod. Bad luck for Rick there, that was his chance, but he got a virus.

anyone got any decent 4-4-2 tactics? i'm currently playing 4-5-1 but i'm relying far to much on kyle wilson to get all my goals (alright he does have 26 in 28 haha). I really think my tactic has dried up,i've drawn far to many games of late, and as soon as i change my tactic to more attacking i concede to many and lose the match. Any help would be appriciated :)

Lol, now the other youth keeper at the club, Ryan Ross, has a cold. 4 keepers out of 5 unavailable for the last game of the season. God I hope that Tommy doesn't get injured before the game, and fortunately this run has come at the end of the season.

1 game left, I am 15th, can't move higher, but can drop to 17th potentially.

anyone got any decent 4-4-2 tactics? i'm currently playing 4-5-1 but i'm relying far to much on kyle wilson to get all my goals (alright he does have 26 in 28 haha). I really think my tactic has dried up,i've drawn far to many games of late, and as soon as i change my tactic to more attacking i concede to many and lose the match. Any help would be appriciated :)

I played a flat 4-4-2 up until christmas and had the highest goals for and against, but fixture conjestion meant that i went on a 6-7 match winless run that saw me creep into 19th spot. I changed and went to play a 4-4-2 with a narrow diamond in the midfield and my games have been a lot more tighter now.

I tend to score 1 or 2 goals and then play a 5-1-2-2 (so i effectively swap my attacking midfielder for an extra CB) and switch to a defensive strategy. Since doing this, ive gone on a non-conceding-for-703-minutes-of-football streak and im now sitting mid-table again.

The key to it was making sure you have the right players for the roles you pick them for.. e.g. i noticed that one of my players is better at being a ball winning midfielder than a standard center mid and now he's all over the place firing in challenges.

hope this helps.

thanks aao :) think im going to just experiment with the tactics for the rest of the season, sitting well mid table with 16 games to go, not going to get relagted or promoted so i'll just try things out. Im going to go 5-1-3-1 and see if that helps sure things up at the back. Do you think its best sticking to a rigid philosphy and just keep things simple in the lower divisions?

Sutton utd 2010/11 1/2way stage

League Table

I am 1/2 way through my 1st season and i am just inside the playoffs. we started well but our form (especially away form) has been terrible recently and it could see us drop out of the playoffs come the end of the season.

A few long term injuries have contributed to this, Daniel Fitchett had 12 goals in 22 appearances before his injury has ruled him out for the rest of the season.

Dartford

Right, so I've started as Dartford, I don't know what drew me away from Tonbridge Angels over the last couple days but something has and am hoping for the same sort of success that I had in last seasons challenge with Leigh Genesis where I must of had one of the best FM games in terms of success ever - so high expectation then :p

profileg.th.gif

Gypsum; it will backfire later on when the match will be played between 2 other close matches...

Fortunately it was only delayed a couple of days and we had a decent gap before the next game. But another postponed game now would be a disaster!

Kings Lynn - Blue Square Premier - 2011/2012

Predicted: 24th

Finished: 13th

Well Promotion in the previous season was far more than i had ever hoped for, and because of that i knew this season was going to be a struggle.

Made some moves in the transfer market but tried to keep faith with the core of the squad that had done so well previously.

This proved to be a mistake. To say we had a horrendous start would be a major understatement, 5 defeats in our first 6 games left us bottom of the league with only 1 point to our name, i couldnt even say we were unlucky, just totally outplayed and outclassed.

Slowly we started to pick up and got the odd draw here and there but it took till our 8th Game to finally get a win, I feared for the worst and our prediction of 24th was looking to be pretty accurate.

Following the first win we went on a bit of a run and picked up enough points to get out of the relegation places and push up towards mid table, by the 12th Game we were in 15th Place and never moved far from this position for the rest of the season, never anywhere near the play offs but far enough away from the relegation zone so as not to be to concerned.

All in all a pretty uneventful season, nothing really happened in the cups but i guess given the start i was happy to consolidate.

League Table

Transfers

Squad

Plans for the off season is to strengthen, strengthen and strengthen the squad again, some i brought in were just not up to the job and a radical turnover of staff is required if we are going to challange for the play offs, which i feel would be possible with some good signings.

thanks aao :) think im going to just experiment with the tactics for the rest of the season, sitting well mid table with 16 games to go, not going to get relagted or promoted so i'll just try things out. Im going to go 5-1-3-1 and see if that helps sure things up at the back. Do you think its best sticking to a rigid philosphy and just keep things simple in the lower divisions?

16 games to go is a lot... you should think about trying for promotion at least imo - maybe if you make it in there you can get some money and extra fans for next season even if you lose?

This is my first ever time im doing this challenge (and this low down too) so im still experimenting with bits as well.

James Keatings has just become Nantwich's all time top Goal scorer with 29 league goals :D

He got there just before Fitzharris who has 28 goals, after they both scored against Dagenham as we came from two goals down to draw 2-2. (Edit - Fitzharris now has 29 aswell after he scored against AFC Wimbledon :))

So with 10 games left we are currently 5th occupying the last playoff spot - 4pts clear of sixth placed York, 1pt behind fourth placed Aldershot, 4pts behind second placed Dagenham and third placed Kidderminster, whilst we are 12pts behind leaders Barnet.

We are also safe from relagation.

2010/11 - AFC Hornchurch - Blue Square South

So the Mighty Urchins were promoted into the Blue Square South and the media expected them to make the stay a short one with a prediction of dead last, 22nd! I evaluated the squad and found it lacking almost all over the pitch, the only real area of strength was the existing goalkeeper, Darren Behcet. He did ok for me over the year but he may not cut it when I begin to push on next year!

A couple of other existing players made decent contributions. Mark Janney is an experienced winger who can play on either side so he was useful and Billy Coyne was a decent left back. The rest of the squad was made up of new faces.

So I bought in plenty of new faces and tried to play some football. It didn't work well so I went back to a simple 4-4-2 and got some results. I dragged myself from 21st up to mid-table 14th. Then the results slipped again and my 2nd striker, David Brown was useless. I dropped him a bought in a more effective player. I switched to a simple 4-5-1 and played contain looking to hit teams on the break. This worked for the last few games and I ended up 14th but wasn't safe until the penultimate game. Now I am looking to build the squad and push on next year.

Some honourable mentions this year go to:

Mark Millar

Christiano Kisuka

Season 10/11 Links

Transfers

Squad's Overall Stats

League Table

League Graph

Fixtures 1 Fixtures 2 Fixtures 3

Finances Summary

2010/11  BSS  14th
2011/12  BSS  ----

Really need to sort out my wage bill asap. Paid over £1 million this season in wages, which is not good whatsoever. The move to professional, and the increased wage demands, isn't doing me any favours.

Weird, my new kit sponsorship has stayed at 5k per annum. Think the bug from last year has returned :(

Weird, my new kit sponsorship has stayed at 5k per annum. Think the bug from last year has returned :(

Mine did not go up also I was very disappointed, we are now back in the red thanks to the board and the crazy loan they took out.

Archived