dafuge

dafuge's FM10 challenge

8,433 posts in this topic

Terk,

How's AFC Wimbledon doing in BSP for you?

And Rattlesnake, how's that Tommy Jaczsun lad? Seems I always see his name but have never gotten him on my team as of yet.

Started with Truro City:

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/8325/jamiespencer.jpg

Didn't want to upload my profile until i'd got into the game, didn't think I had it in me to make it last longer than a couple of games.

Season went a lot better than I thought and we've ended up as Champions with a game to spare:

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/4258/leaguetabletruro.jpg

Star players were:

Paul Hakim

Nick Main

jamie Turley

The experienced Gary Holt has been great in defensive midfield too.

Sutton Utd Championship 2016/17

Competitions:

Fa Cup: Lost in 4th round 3-1 to Chelsea

League Cup: Lost 2-0 to crystal palace in 2nd round

League: 4th Lost in playoff semi final

League Table, League Graph

Squad, Transfers

Another poor start to the season which saw us with only 1 win in the first 5 games but i quick change in tactics saw our fortunes change. From then on we slowly moved up the league and peaked at 4th half way through the season. But our away form was dire we were drawing and losing far too many away games to keep up with the playoffs. During the 2nd half of the season we have always kept around the edge of the playoffs and during the last few games we have pushed up into the playoffs.

With 3 games left we managed to kick West Ham out of the 2nd automatic promotion with an incredible 5-0 thrashing at their own place:D.

Unfortunately 2 of the 3 games left to play were away from home, next match we got taken apart 4-1 by mid table forest. This dropped us down to 4th just 3 pts from automatic but 5 pts inside the playoffs.

Next up was a home match against Huddersfield, we were comfortably 3-1 up at half time then my star striker Miguel Angel scored another to make it 4-1 and get his hat trick. but we had to survive a mini fightback when they brought it back to 4-3 but we hung on to get the priceless win. This left us still 3 pts from automtaic but we had secured our play off spot

Last game of the season was against Bolton(8th) it was a bit of an anticlimax really, it was a bore draw. So we ended up 4th and will play Wolves in the playoff semi final:

Not a good omen, we lost twice to them in the season , 4-1 and 1-0

Playoff Semi Final 1st Leg

Embarrassing. Just Embarrasing. We were down 4-1 at half time and despite a change of tactics we still lost 5-2 and we were completely outplayed. This leaves us with a lot to do in the 2nd leg which im not sure my team is capable of.

Playoff Semi Final 2nd Leg

Very disappointing, again we were outplayed but we managed to hold on to a draw. Wolves seem to be my bogie team.

Player/s of the season

Miguel Angel - brilliant season again from my star striker, came 3rd in championship golden boot. He scored 31 in 49 and is now Sutton's top scorer ever. Taking him to 81 goals in 147 appearances in his sutton career

Ronnie Chapple - solid defender, normally my tactics concede a lot of goals, so to only concede 64 in the league shows how well he did

Cups

League Cup: again disappointing, we were kicked out in the 2nd round this time by lower league opposition :mad:

Fa Cup: Comfortable victory in the 1st round then we were drawn against Chelsea in the 4th round for the 2nd succesive year this time at their place. We also lost to them for the 2nd succesive year this time it was 3-1, im happy with the performance though because Chelsea have run away with the premierleague this season.

Finances:

Chelsea match helped a lot generating 500k or so but again main income was huge profits in the transfer market. Despite this the board won't get me a new stadium which i am desperately in need of, we have been filling it for the past 2 seasons now. To make matters worse they wont even upgrade training and youth facilities claiming "they are one of the best in the league"

[color=black]Career so far:[/color]

[color=black]Season    League                   Position    Achievements[/color]
[color=black]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]

[color=black]2010/11   Blue Square South       2nd      Promoted via playoffs[/color]
[color=black]2011/12   Blue Square Premier     1st      Automatic Promotion [/color]
[color=black]2012/13   League 2                3rd      Automatic Promotion[/color]
2013/14   League 1                7th      N/A
2014/15   League 1                1st      Automatic Promotion
2015/16   Championship            14th     N/A
2016/17   Championship            4th      Lost in Playoff Semi Final

Rattlesnake, how's that Tommy Jaczsun lad? Seems I always see his name but have never gotten him on my team as of yet.

I used him as backup for Justyn Roberts at first, but when he got a long term injury Tommy came in and did a good enough job to keep his place in the first team. Incidently, im in the summer of my second season and Roberts has been released on a free and Tommy is now my first choice left back. Good enough left back for this level but probably not good enough should we gain promotion. Overall for a player that was at the club when I arrived, pretty good. :thup:

oh and have him play defensivly and quite rigid otherwise he can sometimes get caught out at vital moments ;)

I used him as backup for Justyn Roberts at first, but when he got a long term injury Tommy came in and did a good enough job to keep his place in the first team. Incidently, im in the summer of my second season and Roberts has been released on a free and Tommy is now my first choice left back. Good enough left back for this level but probably not good enough should we gain promotion. Overall for a player that was at the club when I arrived, pretty good. :thup:

oh and have him play defensivly and quite rigid otherwise he can sometimes get caught out at vital moments ;)

Makes sense. Funnily enough, left back is actually one of the only positions i've got more than one first team quality player at, I just wondered because I tend to see his name a lot or maybe just recognize it because of the weird spelling, going all the way back to my first venture into LLM in FM07. Cheers for the response though :)

Terk,

How's AFC Wimbledon doing in BSP for you?

They're not doing anything in the BSP. They finished 2nd and got promoted last season and are currently 19th in League 2. They haven't played the MK Dons yet but it could be a fun fixture :D

They're not doing anything in the BSP. They finished 2nd and got promoted last season and are currently 19th in League 2. They haven't played the MK Dons yet but it could be a fun fixture :D

Lovely news. They were my team on FM07 the last time I did Dafuge's Challenge so I've got a soft spot for them for life now I think.

I love that power that FM has to let you form a bond with a team. I always look out for how Notts Forest are doing after a game on FM05, and Brighton were my first (and only so far) top to bottom success when I played as them on CM97/98 so I have a real attachment to them. Already I've started to look out for how Canvey are doing in real life. 8th in the Ryman Premier, by the way.

I love that power that FM has to let you form a bond with a team. I always look out for how Notts Forest are doing after a game on FM05, and Brighton were my first (and only so far) top to bottom success when I played as them on CM97/98 so I have a real attachment to them. Already I've started to look out for how Canvey are doing in real life. 8th in the Ryman Premier, by the way.

Yeah I love seeing the teams I've been or players I've had and have been legends for me at my teams. I have a few like Brian Barry-Murphy, Julian Alsop, Mirnes Ibrahimovic, and others who I love to see doing well or featured on TV or Fifa, etc.

Jeff Minton, utter legend for me on 97/98, went on to play over a hundred games for Canvey, so taken him even more to my heart. Went with me all the way from then Division 3 to the Champions League final (which we lost).

Things going very well in the BSP so far, 6th after 15 games. Just won 1-0 at Macclesfield :thup: Kept three clean sheets in the last four games, really pleased with my defensive set up now.

Just started with Carshalton.

It'll be a difficult season with be struggling to avoid relegation, I predict. This seasons goal will be to stay alive and hopefully build on to next season.

I'll give a report at the end of the season.

Nice one Terk. Hope you haven't put the forum jinx on your game now.

Have fun Herter.

Nice one Terk. Hope you haven't put the forum jinx on your game now.

Thought I had when we went 2-0 down at home to Newport Co. in the next game but we fought back for a 3-2 win. Two goals from my young centre back :cool:

I changed my os and forgot to backup my saved games off footie manager before i wiped the laptop, so will have to restart. Holidaying now!

Yeah I love seeing the teams I've been or players I've had and have been legends for me at my teams. I have a few like Brian Barry-Murphy, Julian Alsop, Mirnes Ibrahimovic, and others who I love to see doing well or featured on TV or Fifa, etc.

Definitely agree with that. I remember I had a game early on in FM09 with Leigh Genesis. I had Man Utd as a parent club, and they loaned me Federico Macheda for a season, and he scored over 50 goals in the BSS.

I was so happy and surprised a few months later when he made his first real appearance for Utd and scored that beautiful goal against Villa.

Right well having tries (and failed) at this challenge for the past 3 or 4 years i'm giving it another go!

Am manager of Kingstonian as they are the most local team to me

No profile pick as am at work now, and have no internet at home, so only time i'll be able to put up screenshots when at my girlfriends.

Also Snake and KoNovi while reading this thread it has been your games that have inspired me to try this challenge again-lets hope I can do half as well as you two!

Right, it is gonna be hard. Real hard. But it can be done!

With only 4 games to go: Premier League - League Table

Hardest part is the fixtures haha

A: Aston Villa

H: Arsenal

A: Liverpool

H: Man Utd

Wembley: Tottenham (FA Cup Final)

Gonna sound strange but Liverpool and Man Utd are the easiest haha...

Well, they won 4-2 against me... Need to win vs Arsenal otherwise I can start focussing on the FA Cup final..

*update 1*

HA! I just see that they have the semifinal of the Europa League just before our game :):):)

*update 2*

YES! We won 2-1 at home!!

League table now (2 games to go):

Arsenal 76

Guiseley 74

Tottenham 73

West Ham 70

Ok it is over... We draw 0-0 vs Liverpool and Arsenal won and won the Premier League for the 2nd time in a row.

Ok it is over... We draw 0-0 vs Liverpool and Arsenal won and won the Premier League for the 2nd time in a row.

Unlucky, foost :(

Ah well, it is better so. We were great this season but not yet that great. Can't wait for next season where I really want to win it! :)

Maybe I can win the FA Cup, will do my best..

Scott Spencer - Merthyr Tydfil : The Martyrs - Season 1 and 2 Update

It's time for my first update. Really enjoying my time as manager of Merthyr!

Season 1

League Table

Squad

We left it until the last game to secure our spot in the play-offs and managed to gain promotion beating Dover 3-2 in extra time in the final. Our main problem this season was finding the right tactic, I changed things around on numerous occasions and it made for a very inconsistent season.

In terms of transfer activity I changed the majority of the team around, bringing in a host of Scottish youngsters on free transfers. JoJo Connolly was the stand out performer from midfield, coming up with 10 goals and 12 assists, while Grant Gallacher had a solid season at the back. We managed to snap up Paris Cowan-Hall just before the play-off final in preperation for next season which is a positive move.

Didn't have much luck in the cups, with nothing noticeable to note. The board was taken over towards the end of the season and despite initial reports stating that I was to be replaced by another manager, I managed to hold on the job and the board are delighted with promotion.

Main Aims for Season 2

Develop a consistent tactic.

Bring in a more determined and experienced CM.

Tighten things up in defence.

Season 2

League Table

Squad

I spent a lot of time in pre-season working on our tactics, trying out a host of formations. I finally settled on a 4-2-3-1, using two CM's and two wingers. After spendingwatching a few friendlies in depth and changing the settings around to find the best match for our players I was finally confident that we were going to have a good season.

We exceeded expectations, finishing first in the league. We didn't start as we'd have liked, three draws and a loss in our opening three fixtures, however, once we got to December we went on a run of 8 straight wins in the league to put us in contention. A solid period over new year followed by another stunning run of performances in February put us in second position. With Burton suffering mixed form we managed to take top spot with 6 games to go and didn't look back. Tactically we were spot on and I firmly believe that its one of the best I've ever made in my FM career!

The main reason for our strong season was down to two boys who came through the academy. Dylan Wheeler was an absolute rock at the back, notching up some important goals and assists. He could do it all, and was deservedly crowned our player of the year. Ian Walters came through at the same time and tore defences to pieces from the right wing. It took some time to retrain him as an AMR but he's been a true revelation. Sunderland and a host of Championship teams were sniffing around them for the whole season but thus far i've managed to keep hold of them, I really think they could go down as true legends at the club. I've also got to give credit to our free summer signing Jimmy Ryan in midfield. He was fantastic, notching up 14 goals and really was the heart and soul of our team, giving his all in every appearance.

In the FA Cup we made the second round after some great performances. We were drawn away at Peterborough, flying high in the Championship. Incredibly we achieved a 1-1 draw and brough them back to Penydarren Park for a replay. They did however prove too strong and blew us away 3-1, although the deserved to win by a bigger margain. Still, a good all-round performace and a decent bit of money earned.

Main Aims for Season 3

Strengthen the team with free signings.

Sell some of our mediocre players to generate some money.

Get our finances back into positive figures.

[color=black]Career so far:[/color]

[color=black]Season    League                   Position    Achievements[/color]
[color=black]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]

[color=black]2010/11   Blue Square South       4th      Promoted via playoffs[/color]
[color=black]2011/12   Blue Square Premier     1st      Automatic Promotion [/color]

@#^$&% TERRIBLE! I hate the bloody referee! ... Well finished 3rd in the League because of a goal in the 95" min. With only 2 minutes extra time...

Nice!! :thup:

I was a bit pleased, should I admit that I ran round my bedroom with my shirt over my head in celebration? :D

Serious chance for me to make the FA Cup third round and hopefully get a massive money spinning tie. Got a first round replay against BSN side Braintree to negotiate (had to come back from 3-1 down to get a draw at their place) and then the 2nd round paired us with BSP side Morecambe. Tough but winnable, they're only two points and one place above us in the league.

Right. After all it was a terrible season. Lost the FA Cup final aswell haha (lost 2-1)... Tottenham is just way to good in my game...

Unlucky foost on both the premier league and fa cup final. Good luck for next season:thup:

Also congratz Terk on beating Nuneaton, at their ground as well:eek:

Also Snake and KoNovi while reading this thread it has been your games that have inspired me to try this challenge again-lets hope I can do half as well as you two!

Nice to inspire people that means that somebody is actually reading the summaries :D..

Good luck with this challenge! :thup:

Just got through to the 2nd round of the FA cup for the first time.

edit: Have just seen that Man City have appointed Lothar Matthaus as manager

After reading through the summaries here. I really want to have a go at this.

It's my first time am trying this challenge so be patient with me if I make errors in setting up.

I didn't download the ddt, loading all the players based in England using the custom database thingy did the trick for me...

I had problems with the ddt file showing so I just followed like what you did. I guess it's not against the rules.

Just about to holiday :D

I never got back to this again, decided I might aswell now. Closed my eyes and landed on Sutton Utd, here's my Profile.

Anyone know how I can put their crest into the game?

I never got back to this again, decided I might aswell now. Closed my eyes and landed on Sutton Utd, here's my Profile.

Anyone know how I can put their crest into the game?

Good Luck fellow Sutton Utd manager:thup:

I was a bit pleased, should I admit that I ran round my bedroom with my shirt over my head in celebration? :D

Serious chance for me to make the FA Cup third round and hopefully get a massive money spinning tie. Got a first round replay against BSN side Braintree to negotiate (had to come back from 3-1 down to get a draw at their place) and then the 2nd round paired us with BSP side Morecambe. Tough but winnable, they're only two points and one place above us in the league.

Just hope no one walked in to see that! GL in FA Cup

Right. After all it was a terrible season. Lost the FA Cup final aswell haha (lost 2-1)... Tottenham is just way to good in my game...

UL Foost. Any chance of poaching any of their players?

lol this is could really be stupid but how should I check the new promoted teams to playable leagues so that I can take over one of them :D

lol this is could really be stupid but how should I check the new promoted teams to playable leagues so that I can take over one of them :D

The original post has the list of teams that could be available. Another easy way to figure most of them is to look at their badge, if it's just a plain color, or two colors, without any logo or writing or anything, there's a good chance that team is playable. Just cross-check with the list on the first page and you're golden.

Thanks Dons2387

I could only find 2 teams that got promoted...dnt knw where/which the third team was...anyways.. Took over Nantwich

Here I come - DING...Clock..Click Here :D

Good Luck fellow Sutton Utd manager:thup:

Thanks.

Can anyone help me with the badge thing?

The original post has the list of teams that could be available. Another easy way to figure most of them is to look at their badge, if it's just a plain color, or two colors, without any logo or writing or anything, there's a good chance that team is playable. Just cross-check with the list on the first page and you're golden.

not all newly promoted teams have a non-graphical logo.

The way I find the newly promoted teams, is to go into the league table, click on the first team, click on history and then league positions. That will show last seasons position, so if the team has just been promoted, the history will be blank. Then just cycle through the teams.

not all newly promoted teams have a non-graphical logo.

The way I find the newly promoted teams, is to go into the league table, click on the first team, click on history and then league positions. That will show last seasons position, so if the team has just been promoted, the history will be blank. Then just cycle through the teams.

True. Hence why I said the key words "good chance" :) After a few reloads you get used to what teams come up anyway and it's easy to tell them apart.