dafuge

dafuge's FM10 challenge

8,433 posts in this topic

I'm getting very annoyed with the injuries I'm picking up at the minute. There should be the option in press conferences to do a Wenger and complain about them.

Terk - Indeed, the proper way and on your second point, surely you can't fine yourself :p

Almondo - Ouch! Tis annoying but at least we like play-off's!

Wealdstone - Blue Square South - Season 2010/11

My very season in dafuge's challenge turned out to be a successful one, as the team pulled together through some rocky patches in form to capture the Blue Square South title, with the table at one point being this close! Many of our poor performances came away from home, something that'll need to be fixed before next season! However, we were devastating at home, beating teams such as Havant and Waterlooville 5-0 and Basingstoke 4-1, and this, in the end, managed to pull us out of any ruts caused by the away form and onto more positive results.

FA Cup - Had a good run, including a close 2nd qualifying round against fierce rivals (and nearest club) Harrow, until the 1st round, where we went out to Bradford of League 2.

FA Trophy - Disappointing. Went out to Worcester in a one-sided match in the 3rd qualifying round.

Key Players - Transfers

Michael Wilde - After a relatively slow start, Michael, who was suggested to me by my board, started t show his true colours, ending up with 32 goals from 40 appearances, many coming in crucial 1-0 wins away from home.

Dexter Ravenhill - Despite being rather inconsistent, and so therefore being largely in Wilde's shadow for most of the season, he did show flashes of brilliance, none more so than in the previously mentioned 5-0 win over Havant and Waterlooville, where he scored all 5 goals, and was unlucky not to add to that. Him and Wilde should hopefully be good enough to make up my attack in the BSP!

Sam Sloma - Already at the club when I arrived at the start of the season, Sloma was said by the assistant manager to be the best player at the club, and he proved to be, providing most of his goals and assists from set pieces and the result of his probing runs down the left wing. Regularly switching places with my right-sided winger, he proved to be instrumental in creating space for my strikers to cause havoc in. A class act.

So, overall, a great season, considering I only brought in 5 or so players. However, some massive improvements to the defence and midfield are definitely required for next season, along with a right-sided winger with good pace and acceleration (imo a must for any lower-league side). My laptop is off for repair for 2 weeks (or so they say, I bet its longer) tomorrow, so don't expect any updates on this for a while :(.

UP THE STONESSSSSSSSSS!

Season          League          Position          Achievments
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11         BSS             1st               Promoted (Champions) to BSP

Congratulations, bean824 :thup: A very good first season.

And TPF, I'd happily fine myself :p

Nicely done Bean!

Ohh, professional club now and the level of players I can attract has really gone up.

I want a trophy darn it! I don't want to stoop to Terk's level of unwinningness (clearly a word)

Still wondering how I managed to pull out a 3-0 win over Premier League Wolves in the 3rd round of the FA Cup.

Canvey Island

2022/23

Premier League

Premier League

It seems slightly churlish to describe a season in which we finish third at this stage of the challenge as 'disappointing', but in a few ways this was just that. Having played very well in the first two thirds of the season, claiming 51 points by the time we'd played 27 games, a real level of inconsistency dug in and we claimed only another 16 out of the final 33 points available. Winning at Leeds and thumping West Ham 4-0 were great results, but the elation was tempered by throwing away a 2-0 lead at home against Reading and losing 3-1 on the final day to an already relegated Man Utd side. Overall, however, it would be ridiculous not to count this season as a success. We opened up and played a more attacking style of football, and it reaped its rewards with the second highest goal tally in the league, even if we did concede a few more than I would have liked. Still, Champions League, here we come.

League Positions Graph

League Cup

I had targeted this as my first trophy, so getting spanked 4-0 by Championship side Sheffield Wednesday in the third round wasn't ideal.

FA Cup

With the League Cup gone, I turned my attention to the bigger prize. We disposed of lower league opposition in Fulham, Liverpool and Middlesbrough before we faced soon-to-be lower league opposition in Man Utd in the quarter final. We should have got it done first time but threw away a two goal lead at Old Trafford, and we very nearly did the same in the replay, hanging on in the end for a 2-1 win. That paired us with Chelsea in the semi final, a side who haven't conceded in the competition since January 2021. They still haven't. They won 1-0, and I'm quite frankly a little scared by Uncle Carlo and his team that can go a Premier League season and concede only 12 goals.

Transfers

We broke the club's transfer record twice in ten days this summer, first bringing in Pitshou Daniëls from PSG for £8M before we needed £9.75M to part Chris Wright from Burnley. A few big ticket sales meant that we ended up with a net transfer profit, which I hadn't expected, and the overall quality of the squad that I have assembled now possibly means that I can chase those one or two big money signings each summer to try and move us that big closer to the irresistible force (Man City) and the immovable object (Chelsea).

Top 5 Players

5. Giovanni Pasini - A reluctant choice, but he just about deserves his mention as there were times during the season when he put in blinding performances, and 15 clean sheets is impressive. However, he still can't catch a cold, and I will be exploring the possibility of replacing him this summer.

4. Radim Pokorny - A £1M buy in January whom I had no intention of playing this season, until I saw quite how good he was. It was immediately obvious that he was going to gain nothing from playing in the reserves, and he acquitted himself very well in early sub appearances. Even at just 17, he'll be a fixture in next season's squad.

3. Yvan Favre - Niggling injuries interrupted the Frenchman's first season at Canvey, but he showed what he can do and has the potential to make the left back spot his own over the next few years.

2. James Murphy - Another top notch season from our young centre back. He's being chased by the great and the good of European football and I'm delighted we have him tied down to a long term deal. Will be vital if we're to make anything of the Champions League next season.

1. Manuel Wiedl - The best thing to come out of Austria since Hermann Meier, Manuel showed us just what we missed last season when he was out with a broken leg. Both a goal scorer and creator, he could have done even better if his season hadn't been interrupted by a couple of ankle sprains. Eager to see him play on Europe's biggest stage next season.

Next Season

Well, another top four finish has to be the aim, doesn't it? I wouldn't be happy with 8th place after getting a taste of Champions League football. As for our place at Europe's big table, we'll almost certainly get a bitch of a group (if we get that far) as we won't have a seeding, so if we can finish third and drop into the Europa League then I'd consider it a success.

Career Overview

Season League Final Pos. Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nuneaton Town
2010/11 Blue Square North 5th Lost in play-off semi final
2011/12 Blue Square North 12th Sacked 11 games into the season

Canvey Island
2012/13 Blue Square South 10th None
2013/14 Blue Square South 4th Promoted via play-offs
2014/15 Blue Square Premier 3rd Promoted via play-offs
2015/16 League 2 8th None
2016/17 League 2 3rd Automatic Promotion
2017/18 League 1 4th Promoted via play-offs
2018/19 Championship 12th League Cup Finalists
2019/20 Championship 3rd Promoted via play-offs
2020/21 Premier League 17th Didn't get relegated
2021/22 Premier League 10th League Cup Finalists
2022/23 Premier League 3rd Qualified for Champions League

Canvey Island 100 Club

Name (Position) League Games (Overall Games); League Goals (Overall Goals); Average Rating
(Dates at club)

James Foster (ST) 215 (260); 118(135); 7.12
(2013-2019)
Jeet Padaruth (GK) 213 (243); 76 (89); 6.96
(2012-2018)
John Bostock (AMC) 196 (231); 22 (30); 7.05
(2015-2022)
Matthew Darlow (DC) 194 (232); 16 (20); 6.86
(2011-2017)
Kostas Tsioukas (DC) 188 (223); 27 (30); 7.14
(2014-2020)
Mark Hartmann (MC) 183 (217); 20 (31); 6.91
(2010-2017)
Giovanni Pasini (GK) 153 (178); 42 (53); 7.07
(2019-Present)
Iain Blackman (AMLC/FC) 144 (172); 31 (39); 7.01
(2016-2021)
James Murphy (DC) 134 (160); 14 (16); 7.16
(2019-Present)
Theo Angus (DL) 125 (150); 0 (2); 6.87
(2012-2018)
Joseph Owusu Tabiri (DR, MRC) 105 (130); 3 (4); 6.91
(2012-2016)
Sam Vokes (ST) 103 (127); 31 (40); 6.96
(2019-2023)
Kyle Wilson (ST) 103 (120); 36 (44); 6.96
(2013-2016)
Ismail Yakubu (DC) 102 (113); 4 (4); 7.09
(2013-2016)

Nice enough season there Terk. Shame about the form at the end of the season.

Cause your good Almondo!

Cracking season Terk. Murphy. That is what you call you solid at the back!

Cracking season Terk. Murphy. That is what you call you solid at the back!

I :heart: James Murphy (and yes, I know that makes me ghey :p:D). His tackles per game ratio isn't that high compared to others in the league, but whenever he goes in for one he seems to come away with the ball, his success rate is immense. And he just picked up the Young Player of the Year award, which he fully deserved.

Getting another upgrade to the training and youth facilities \o/ Think at the moment we have 'good' training facilities and 'adequate' youth facilities, so we definitely need a bit of investment.

Nice season Terk, though I'd be on the phone to Chelsea to see if you can trade attacking/defensive tips ;) Pretty cool to see two polar opposite teams separated by one place.

Still, a PL/CL spot puts you on 'challenge point' I guess so good luck for the coming season!

Getting another upgrade to the training and youth facilities \o/ Think at the moment we have 'good' training facilities and 'adequate' youth facilities, so we definitely need a bit of investment.

That's good then. I'm hoping we can give York St a good send off as a 6000 seater stadium isn't big enough to keep a Championship team in the black. We move to the new Boston Utd Stadium in the summer.

Don't worry, I knew anyone!

Yeah, he looks the part. I bet your thankful you tied him down to a contract! Hopefully the only thing you tied him down to!

Nice season Terk, though I'd be on the phone to Chelsea to see if you can trade attacking/defensive tips ;) Pretty cool to see two polar opposite teams separated by one place.

Still, a PL/CL spot puts you on 'challenge point' I guess so good luck for the coming season!

Their defensive record this season is utterly ridiculous. They kept 27 clean sheets in the league and they just won the FA Cup for the second season without conceding a goal in the whole bloody tournament.

As you say, it shows that there is no definitive 'right way' to get success in football; I just hope we can score against them next season :(

Head scratching moment just appeared. I sold a player I picked up on a free to Brostol City for £925,000. I've just received a message stating that Bristol city are offering me the player I sold six months ago at the same price they bought him for.

9 games to go in the BSN and we're 2nd, 3 points adrift...

Luckily Southport, whom we trail, have a pretty hard fixture list as they play all the top 5 teams in those last nine, including us on the penultimate day.

Exciting end to the season awaits.

Just been given a £36M transfer budget for the new season :cool: Think I'm going to blow £20M of it on a Brazilian striker.

Apparently the Man Utd board are lokking at me replacing their current manager if he doesn't sign a new contract.

I'm still really confused as to whether my 4-3-3 is successful on 10.3. In terms of results, it surely is, as we've only lost five of our last 25 games and currently hold a 2-0 advantage going into the second (away) leg of the playoff semis against Kettering, however, we very rarely dominate games and don't generate a lot of clear cut chances. We concede a lot of long shots and headers too, but we don't concede many CCCs either.

I guess you just have to go by results in the end, though I get the feeling having a good squad and a couple of excellent players is pulling us through rather than the tactics.

Oxford City - 2010/2011

Blue Square North - Prediction: 21st // Promotion odds: 14-1 // Goal: Safe mid-table finish

Final Position: 1st - Table - Progress

The season started fairly well given the total lack of unity in the side as players were drafted in from all over. Within six games the team were establishing themselves in the playoff positions. Quite quickly a top four emerged consisting of Oxford City, Boston Utd, Hyde and Southport, but by mid-point both Southend and Oxford City were running away from the peleton at the top of the table.

The two were inseparable until Southend hit a rough patch of form in late February, allowing Oxford to take the lead. However, a 2-0 defeat at Southend saw this gap narrow. In the end, the championship would go down to the last day, where a thrilling 4-4 draw with Braintree, combined with a Southend defeat to relegation battling Farsley, was enough to claim the title for Oxford.

Awards: James Keatings (Top Goalscorer); Victor Death (Manager of the Season);

FA Cup - Goal: Third Qualifying Round

Reached Fourth Qualifying Round - Progress

A disappointing run in this despite going beyond our goal, simply because the fixtures were all winnable. We dispatched Nuneaton in the Second Qualifying Round with a 2-0 away win, goals being provided by the everpresent Keatings and Fitzharris. In our next tie away at Truro, James Keatings put us ahead in the 7th minute before Mark Millar scored from the spot to deliver another 2-0 win.

However, the run came to an end at home against minnows Harrow, who scored a last minute winner to take out a 2-1 win, despite us having four clear cut chances.

FA Trophy- Goal: Learn from the experience

Reached Fourth Round - Progress

This was a more impressive performance than the FA Cup. The run began in low gear as we struggled past Blue Square South Hampton & Richmond, only breaking the tie when Craig McShea popped up in the 112nd minute of the replay. This took us to Blue Square Premier Hayes & Yeading, whom we comfortably defeated 4-0 with two a piece to McAusland and Fitzharris.

Next on the agenda was Worcester, against whom a replay was required after a 1-1 draw at home. The second leg went well however, with Keatings and Fitzharris delivering a 2-0 win.

Blue Square Premier Cambridge United was next, and we took a deserved 2-0 win at home with Fitzharris dictating the scoreboard both times.

However, the run ended when we lost to minnows Kingstonian away 1-0, their goal coming in the 8th minute. A flat performance by us meant it was a fair result, though defender Gordon Dick had a goal disallowed due to offside.

---

Transfers - Obviously lots of churning. A number of freebies in and binning the fluff who didn't have expiring contracts; nothing exciting.

Finances - 100k in the red, mostly due to our poor FA Cup run and low attendances.

Squad - A solid core, but no depth. A goalkeeper is no doubt the primary goal for the summer.

Key Players

Sean Fitzharris - Nominally our poacher, despite a good haul of goals he actually ended up with more assists than goals. He and Keatings certainly went hunting in pairs.

James Keatings - Brought in to play target man, he bagged an epic number of goals. 34 appearances, 32 goals, 10 assists, 10 man of the match awards and BSN Player of the Season. Enough said.

Mark Millar - No goals, but 15 assists from the playmaker role and the key to our midfield.

Jason Marr - Our main centre-back, an intelligent player with good physical abilities and good enough technically to make him a very useful BSN defender, and as soon as he joined he wasn't booted from the first team.

Grant Gallacher - While fullbacks aren't particularly important at this level, he's worth a mention as was thoroughly reliable with a good average rating and will feature into the future.

---

Season              League               Final Pos.              Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[url=http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=4926672&postcount=6427]2010/11[/url]       Blue Square North             1st             Promotion (Champions)

Started again using 10.3 - really struggling in my first season with Boston, which is wierd as I didn't do too badly with them on 10.2.

Awesome season Terk, bypassed the Europa League like the Merthyr boys did :)

started this when game was released as manager of dartford

but have been so busy than had computer problems so decided to wait to restart when patch is released

so here goes holidaying as i type will post profile pic as so as chose team to manage

Awesome season Terk, bypassed the Europa League like the Merthyr boys did :)

Cheers :thup: When we fell down to about 10th after 10 games I didn't expect us to climb back up the table, and I'd have been pretty happy to stay around that 10th spot, but the next twenty or so games were just brilliant and once we'd got back into the top four we never really looked like dropping out.

Good luck with Tiverton, by the way :thup:

Good luck with Tiverton, by the way :thup:

Cheers mate, haven't even gone a week in that save yet, I've trialled literally over 200 players :(

Finally got my first win in League One against Brighton in a 2-1 win. But then got knocked out of the JPT by an offside goal :mad:

Looks like my teams are always taken over in the first season... A consortium has just replaced our previous chairman in Sutton Utd, injecting €275k into the club's accounts, which is nice. This plus the FA Cup money should keep us on the black for a full season or two at the very least.

Oh, and of course they want to replace me with some regen manager called Danny Watson. Heh.

Started again using 10.3 - really struggling in my first season with Boston, which is wierd as I didn't do too badly with them on 10.2.

Same here. I restarted the challenge with Merthyr on 10.3 and have struggled so far. It's not a disaster, and my sides usually pick up later on in the season, but it's not looking promising for anything other than relegation survival. But in my previous attempt at the challenge I made swift progress with King's Lynn, and other saves i've found going fairly easy. I've changed my tactics to try and make things simpler, but with my pretty useless players i'm just hoping for survival and a signing spree in the summer.

I want to rip my chairman's balls off :mad: He's just accepted a bid of £8.5M for my very promising 22 year old Spanish midfielder, despite the fact that I had slapped a £20M asking price on him :mad: I wish I could get a takeover, been stuck with this muppet in charge since I took over.

I want to rip my chairman's balls off :mad: He's just accepted a bid of £8.5M for my very promising 22 year old Spanish midfielder, despite the fact that I had slapped a £20M asking price on him :mad: I wish I could get a takeover, been stuck with this muppet in charge since I took over.

After having qualified for the Champions League too! Utterly, utterly ludicrous :thdn:

These bloody refs have a vendetta against me! Nearly every goal scored against me has been either offside, or from a penalty that shouldn't have happened. Furthermore, I'm being rejected pens, and having goals ruled offside unfairly :mad:

My goalkeeper just took one for the team, was 3 on 1 so he ran out of goal and fouled the oncoming striker. Got him a red card but we finished 1-0 instead of 1-1.

Just got a really good 2-0 win over Eastleigh to put us 16th after 19 games. I managed to make a few new signings which seem to have sparked some life into the team. And my change to simpler tactics which I used on a previous save seems to have helped. Hopefully we can find a second wind after Christmas!

Phew, finally made it through all those trial-ees! Trialled over 350 players, signed 15, with one more (a goalkeeper) still to sign - fingers crossed!

Phew, finally made it through all those trial-ees! Trialled over 350 players, signed 15, with one more (a goalkeeper) still to sign - fingers crossed!

If you don't comes 1st in the 1st season then I'll be surprised :p

My £20M Brazilian striker has just revealed, on the eve of the league season, that he can't settle in the area :(

After having qualified for the Champions League too! Utterly, utterly ludicrous :thdn:

And to make it even more utterly, utterly ludicrous, they only gave me £3M of the money to reinvest :mad:

****! 15 games into the season, I save, and try out a custom DB to see if I could get the cup to work. Come back to the save, and it corrupted!!!!

Fortunately, I have backups, but it took me back to the Brighton game, which was the one I won, and I bet you I lose this now :mad:

Annoying thing is though, I'd just won 6 games in a row! Taking me into the top half :(

Just beat Thurrock 4-2 on a fan day in front of a bumper 346 crowd! For some reason our first half performances are usually superb, but in the second half we just die. So i'm trying to sign as many important players on full-time contracts as possible so I can get their fitness up. If we played through a whole match like we do in the first half we'd be pushing for playoff places! But as it is we're 17th after 22 games.

Woohooo... I just resigned as manager of Guiseley (2024). And waited till some nice new team will pop up in the BSN/S. And some nice teams showed their faces. I decided to sign for a team that didn't get into the BS in all those years I played with Guiseley. Only two teams filled that criterium. Halesowen and Stocksbridge! I decided to go for Stocksbridge... Added a new manager, took over Stocksbridge, deleted the account and applied with my Guiseley manager account. The chairman just sended me a message saying: he warmly welcome me and he is delighted that one of the worlds top managers signed for his club...

:)

This gonna have some eyes rolling in the world.

AWARDS/WON:

2009-2024 Guiseley:

Premier League 5x

Champions League 2x,

Europa League 1x,

FA Cup 2x,

League Cup 1x,

Community Shield 4x,

FA Trophy 1x,

Blue Square Premier 1x,

CocaCola League 2 1x,

CocaCola Championship 1x

2023-2024 Brazil:

Copa America 1x

2024-.... Stocksbridge

Good luck at Stocksbridge, foost :thup:

Just had my first Champions League group drawn.

Benfica, Bayern, Standard Liège, Canvey

Far from the worst group I could have had, but Benfica won the CL in 2011 and Standard won the Europa League in 2021, so it will still be tough to get through.

We scored against Chelsea :eek: And won :eek:

Nice one Terk! I remember my first win against a big team, such a great feeling :)

Good luck foost, should be easier this time round with your massive rep

Nice win over Chelsea Terk and that's not a bad looking CL group really

Brought in some decent players now with Park Avenue.

'mon the league!