dafuge

dafuge's FM10 challenge

8,433 posts in this topic

Just about to start my search for players.

Started at 12:30. I'm going to time how long it takes me to fill my squad. I'd guess about 45 minutes.

Build for next season then basically Terk! What are you like financially?

£600K of gate receipts and TV money from the League Cup semi has taken my bank balance to about £1.7M. These cup runs are vital though, as we lose money every month otherwise with our ground only holding 4,308.

£600K of gate receipts and TV money from the League Cup semi has taken my bank balance to about £1.7M. These cup runs are vital though, as we lose money every month otherwise with our ground only holding 4,308.

Ditto, 4050 capacity with no expansion so I was 1mil in debt last season until the board started to bail us out. Broke even with some 400k parachute payments but you're right, its very hard to break even beyond the BSP if you fail in the cups.

I use Fraps. Works well with fullscreen games.

Whereas I just save them with paint. Normally have a folder per season so can bulk upload from each season :thup:

Right, League Cup semi 2nd leg ahoy. Decided not to chicken out of the attacking style of play I've been employing this season. Let's take the game to them.

Good luck!

And that's something I will have to watch out with then (finances), going to try and keep wages pretty low for as much as possible.

Good luck!

And that's something I will have to watch out with then (finances)' date=' going to try and keep wages pretty low for as much as possible.[/quote']

GL Terk!

I dunno if it's worth it mate actually, I was losing money but it wasn't a total debacle, so I got board handouts of 80k or 40k every few months to keep me going. In the BSP I won the FA Trophy and that totally wiped out my debts in one go.

In the end success is probably worth more than fiscal security at the lower levels if you stay in the wage budget. Just my experience with this save though, I don't know if anyone has slipped into administration.

Good luck!

And that's something I will have to watch out with then (finances)' date=' going to try and keep wages pretty low for as much as possible.[/quote']

That's one of, if not the biggest challenge I've come across so far. My wage budget in the Championship is £50K per week, and judging by the wages of some of the players we're playing against, that's pretty damn low for this division.

Well that holidaying didn't take long.

Decision time, < or > 1000 rep?

Go higher. I can't imagine how difficult the early seasons would be with a team who's rep is lower than 1000.

Un-frickin-believable! Canvey are going to Wembley.

Seems like with Spurs currently mired in a relegation battle they sent their kids out to fight for them. Carlos Vela was the only regular starter who was in their XI and they had two 16 year olds, both of whom were making their competitive début. In fact they had five guys 18 or under in their starting XI, and only two of them had played a league game before.

The first half was massively tight, but once their 17 year old centre back gave away the penalty at the start of the second half, their whole team just fell apart. Vela did hit the woodwork twice when the score was 1-0 on the night. Guess it was just destined to be.

Okay thanks for the advice both of you!

Lovely work Terk! Good luck on your trip in the biggest competition in the world as far as I'm concerned :p

Okay thanks for the advice both of you!

Lovely work Terk! Good luck on your trip in the biggest competition in the world as far as I'm concerned :p

Unfortunately for you, Villa didn't get to the final. Man City won their second leg (4-1), so I'll be facing their horrible millions in the final. Just hope we don't get embarrassed. Villa in the FA Cup up next.

Congrats Terk. Hopefully City are in the European spots in the Prem :)

Ouch :(, that's a tough game Terk.

Anyway just finishing searching and scouting for players of what I call (round 1 of negotiations) 40 minutes. Urgh.

Good luck minisav.

Congrats Terk. Hopefully City are in the European spots in the Prem :)

City are in 2nd, 4 points behind Leeds :eek: I thought with the League Cup the Europa League spot went to the next team in the Premier League rather than the runners up in the cup. Doubt we'd get past the first qualifying round, anyway :D

Well apparently I'm joint 2nd favourites at 6-1 to get promotion. Wish I'd told the club I'd do better than avoid relegation now :(

Good luck, minisav :) I can just about make that sound genuine to someone who supports both Aberdeen and Man Utd.

You might be right, I have no idea. Long way til I am worried about anything like that haha.

Haha, thanks.

Blame my father. Pretty sure I'd be dead if I'd chosen somebody else.

And SAF is a legend.

christ what a topsy-turvy season so far.

Horrific first 5/6 games start left me in 20th; lowest point being a 3-0 drumming against Merstham in the cup quali stages.

Tactics changed, Leon McKenzie put as a target man with Rob McCormick as the complete forward and thats transformed my team.

A great run left us in 6th, the highlight being a late comeback from being 2-0 down to beating (now top) Bishop Stortford 4-3.

Having some serious defensive issues and keep letting in late goals, but on the whole I'm there or thereabouts in the playoffs and hanging in there, waiting for a late charge.

Half a season to go, currently in 7th on 37 points.

come on the boro!

Haha, thanks.

Blame my father. Pretty sure I'd be dead if I'd chosen somebody else.

And SAF is a legend.

Still, Aberdeen? I'd rather, well, the list of things I'd rather do than support Aberdeen is pretty long :p

They're the local club! ;)

It was them or Montrose!

Montrose every time :D

To be honest, the list of things I'd rather do than support Hearts is pretty long right now, but I'm stuck with it :(

:(

Made my first signing. A player who is apparently twice as good as the 2nd best player of that position. Pity I signed him for a different position isn't it? :(

I hate it when that happens, minisav. I signed Ross McCormack this season as a winger, my scout says he's our second best striker. I guess that's what happens when you sign someone to play in one of their secondary positions.

Lost 1-0 to Villa in the FA Cup. Second half goal from Riccardo Montolivo settled it.

Has anyone had this happen to them before?

BTW thats my keeper. Now in the reserves (for a reason)

That's a shame Terk! ;)

Yidd0! Damm internet won't let me even see the picture. Really slow tonight!

I'm already £140 over wage budget and have only signed 12 players. That went well :p

bloody image has gone upside down. reuploading :p lol.

Has anyone had this happen to them before?

BTW thats my keeper. Now in the reserves (for a reason)

Clearly your keeper is the new Bruce Grobbelaar.

My squad is completed! First game coming up, should be interesting.

By the way, how did others approach the lower division football? I personally at any level like to try and get my teams to get the ball down and play football but can't help but fell that it could be more successful going a little longer in our play?

My squad is completed! First game coming up' date=' should be interesting.

By the way, how did others approach the lower division football? I personally at any level like to try and get my teams to get the ball down and play football but can't help but fell that it could be more successful going a little longer in our play?[/quote']

Thats what I tried originally, but for me the team just didnt have any ability, so I just changed to more of a long ball game with a physically strong striker as a target man. Seems to have beefed my goals tally up.

By the way, how did others approach the lower division football? I personally at any level like to try and get my teams to get the ball down and play football but can't help but fell that it could be more successful going a little longer in our play?[/quote']

My first attempt at this I planted my centre forward in the penalty area, got the ball wide and bounced crosses off his head. It worked well for the first season but was disastrous in the second. My second attempt I've played basic 4-4-2 football relying heavily on counter attacking, so it was crucial that I had quick strikers and midfielders. Since I got into League 2 I've been trying to play a bit more football (not that we play Stoke style long ball; more Villa style 'ball into space') and that's worked pretty well so far.

Thanks both! Probably going to start a little director early on. Got some striker who's 196cm, so he can be a good target man!

Same as Terk I was very reliant on a super-direct counter-attacking style with super fast strikers.

Incidentally I got out of the BSP by ditching the wingers altogether, I wonder whether the AMC/narrow formations are a bit overpowered since it's quite easy to split the defences. Either way since I dropped the wingers in my third season I haven't looked back.

7 Games in and 9th, 3 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses.

Going to completly change the tactics from direct play to more counter-attacking style.

Whereas I just save them with paint. Normally have a folder per season so can bulk upload from each season :thup:

Everything's just saved in one folder for me and I just put the season number i.e 9 now, after to differentiate as since I'm taking similar pics they'll be easy to sort through. Player pics are random depending on what I intend out of them.

I just kept the tactics simple and at some stages used downloaded tactics. Don't think I used a target man approach. Don't try to play beautiful stuff though, just tailor it to what your squad can do. I went for technical attributes over the prescribed physical because I got in nice technical oldies and loanees who were too good for the brutes.:cool:

Just beat Bromley in the playoff semi-final. (went on holiday)

Time for Chelmsford. Sadly, gotta go to work lol. :p

Sold Waweru on deadline day to promotion chasing Coventry :( Got £1.5M for him, but it's sad to see him go.

Sold Waweru on deadline day to promotion chasing Coventry :( Got £1.5M for him, but it's sad to see him go.

Always sad to see a guy who has done the business for you consistently and without any moaning leave :(

After having a break from my save to go and study the tactical aspect of the game some more I have finally come back. I had 9 games left in the season and I won all 9 comfortable finally getting the best from my players.

It was all to late to make a push for the playoff places after being awful the rest of the season but I am looking forward to promotion next year assuming I can keep my players and I dont suffer from the forum curse :D

After having a break from my save to go and study the tactical aspect of the game some more I have finally come back. I had 9 games left in the season and I won all 9 comfortable finally getting the best from my players.

It was all to late to make a push for the playoff places after being awful the rest of the season but I am looking forward to promotion next year assuming I can keep my players and I dont suffer from the forum curse :D

good luck bud!

Cant wait for my bloody shift to finish so I can take Cheltenham on in the BSS playoff final. I kinda feel abit ****** that I skipped alot of the season until pretty much April, is there anything in the rules that says this cannot be done? Dont want to be invalid after one season.

Are there any major drawbacks to having any players on P/T contracts? I only have one on a F/T now after he got leagues top scorer with 27 (Robert McCormick) Hoping I'm not going to have to stretch the budget out greatly for next season to keep him on board. I've already rejected a 6k bid from Grays during Jan and he didnt seem too miffed about it.

Also, I got abit of a decent parent club: Watford (not bad for a BSS team) so that should generate some revenue plus if (and I do mean IF) we get promoted I'll actually be able to loan some of their players. I tried earlier in the season but they were having none of it. Even their 17 yr old's with **** stats didnt want to join (was just a test to see if they were interested more than anything)

Season report up later tonight. Peace!

I use Fraps. Works well with fullscreen games.

Ah so you use Fraps to take the screenshot (which saves it automatically I guess into a folder) and the upload fx the folder to photobucket using their bulkuploader?

I like the fact that you in photobucket can have folders to organize things.

I am having my hardest season this far. Got 3 superb strikers for 2 places. But at the moment I have 1 striker left since everytime 2 other strikers getting injured. When one is better, the other takes his place. So playing a lot of matches with my youthtalent (16 years)... but he is not good enough of course... really hard games since I cant score and still getting goals against