Official Patch 10.1 Discussion

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff
More constructive fedback after long (ish) term play.

4. Regens. Too many at the start of the game?? I'm running large database.

If you leave the "Add key staff" option unticked at the start of the game, there will be less newgens created at the start of the game as the game will only create newgens in the youth teams of active clubs (if they are short on players). If you have the option ticked, there will also be older newgens generated at the main teams of active clubs that are missing players. This is to help populate lower league teams when people add new playable leagues with the editor.

Hi all,

Please can some kind soul tell me how to install the patch on my Macbook? I've run the dmg and now have a pkg file. What do I do with this? I have tried running it but have to select which program to open it with. I tried FM but that didn't work... Any ideas, please?

I did see something about renaming the file, but have assumed that is for Windows only...?

Please help :)

Can someone from SI explain what's the deal with the distance covered in the game for every player? A number of television networks have started to highlight the "distance covered" by players during a televised 90-minute football (soccer) match, which averages 8-12 km per game.

But in FM2010 almost nobody covers more than 9 km per game. I think the distance covered for every player in games is too low. They were fine in the 9.3.0 patch, but now the distances were been heavily reduced.

This study carried out by Real Madrid's Centre of High Performance Director, Valter di Salvo, and published in the International Journal of Medicine 2006 is a comparative analysis of performance characteristics according to the different playing positions in elite soccer: http://www.realmadrid.com/cs/Satellite/en/1202730244942/noticia/Noticia/Valter_di_Salvo.htm

Just look at the TABLE 1.

• SI Staff
Can someone from SI explain what's the deal with the distance covered in the game for every player? A number of television networks have started to highlight the "distance covered" by players during a televised 90-minute football (soccer) match, which averages 8-12 km per game.

But in FM2010 almost nobody covers more than 9 km per game. I think the distance covered for every player in games is too low. They were fine in the 9.3.0 patch, but now the distances were been heavily reduced.

This study carried out by Real Madrid's Centre of High Performance Director, Valter di Salvo, and published in the International Journal of Medicine 2006 is a comparative analysis of performance characteristics according to the different playing positions in elite soccer: http://www.realmadrid.com/cs/Satellite/en/1202730244942/noticia/Noticia/Valter_di_Salvo.htm

Just look at the TABLE 1.

Ok, we'll take that on board - there are so many stats out there its impossible to keep on top of all of them, but this is very helpful.

PaulC

Or anyone at SI.

There is definitely an issue with too many penalties. Is this on your radar?

I'm in the Championship, March, and two teams have had 9 penalties so far this season. This is a regular occurence and is spoiling the game a bit.

After playing some matches I came away disappointed by one major issue of the ME.

No players steal the ball from other players. There is no pressure at all, regardless of the settings.

The highlight only ends by a missed chance and sometimes a misplaced shot or a deflection. No player actually loses the ball to another while in control of it, like in FM09. Also, players don't seem to tackle. I mean, there is no graphical representation of a tackle during the highlights.

This is a major issue for me, thus I can't enjoy the game. It completely shutters the immersion.

I hope the above will get fixed. I wonder how SI missed this.

• SI Staff
PaulC

Or anyone at SI.

There is definitely an issue with too many penalties. Is this on your radar?

I'm in the Championship, March, and two teams have had 9 penalties so far this season. This is a regular occurence and is spoiling the game a bit.

As I said, its not reflected by our own soak tests. If we see pens per game too far above 0.2 it gets tweaked down basically.

• SI Staff
After playing some matches I came away disappointed by one major issue of the ME.

No players steal the ball from other players. There is no pressure at all, regardless of the settings.

The highlight only ends by a missed chance and sometimes a misplaced shot or a deflection. No player actually loses the ball to another while in control of it, like in FM09. Also, players don't seem to tackle. I mean, there is no graphical representation of a tackle during the highlights.

This is a major issue for me, thus I can't enjoy the game. It completely shutters the immersion.

I hope the above will get fixed. I wonder how SI missed this.

You havent seen players do sliding tackles? The animation is definitely there and active.

For what its worth we are working on making closing down a little tighter for 10.2, as a result of feedback from these forums and our beta team.

:)

You havent seen players do sliding tackles? The animation is definitely there and active.

For what its worth we are working on making closing down a little tighter for 10.2, as a result of feedback from these forums and our beta team.

:)

Good to hear Paul.

I know it is strange, but I really didn't see any players making tackles. But maybe I need to play more games or was just a coincidence.

But the closing down, a little more aggressiveness and players actually fighting to win the ball from other players needs some tweaking.

What I like in this version is the reduced ammount of injuries in games. I hardly had long time or serious injuries in my playing experience so far, using a balanced training setup. Look this time you got the balanced right regarding injuries. Don't change anything. If you do get lots of injuries is probably because you use an intense training regime or just bad luck, like in real life.

I don't think there was a problem with too many penalties on my game. It can't be a real issue. I played sometimes even 5-10 games continuously and never had a penalty for my team or against it.

As I said, its not reflected by our own soak tests. If we see pens per game too far above 0.2 it gets tweaked down basically.

Okay but the examples I give above mean the average for two teams there is one pen in every 2.8 games, which is very high.

The next 5 or 6 teams have 4/5 pens during this time (26 games played).

I would like others to give stats here as it's definitely a concern on the forum.

Ok, we'll take that on board - there are so many stats out there its impossible to keep on top of all of them, but this is very helpful.

Thanks for the reply, Paul. It needs to be tweaked on the next patch.

As you can see from that table, a central midfielder coveres an average of 12 km per game. And that was in 2006.

I watched players like Fabregas, Xavi or Gerrard (they are known for running high distances IRL) in FM2010 and in 90 minutes they never reached 9 km per game.

All you have to do is take those stats from the study and implement them better in the game.

Thanks for the reply, Paul. It needs to be tweaked on the next patch.

As you can see from that table, a central midfielder coveres an average of 12 km per game. And that was in 2006.

I watched players like Fabregas, Xavi or Gerrard (they are known for running high distances IRL) in FM2010 and in 90 minutes they never reached 9 km per game.

All you have to do is take those stats from the study and implement them better in the game.

fm game doesn't last 90 min like real game, it would be strange if players covered as much ground as in real life. at least imo..

fm game doesn't last 90 min like real game, it would be strange if players covered as much ground as in real life. at least imo..

It does though doesn't it? Its not FIFA esque in like the minutes are scaled down depending on the length of game you choose.

Yeah of course, in the game world the matches are said to last 90 minutes, but even on full match the clock runs faster. I watch on full but the whole game including pre-match and post-match usually takes about 50 minutes. So probably 22.5 minute halves, with the clock running twice as fast.

In FM09 players usually had around 9km average distance coverage on this setting.

I assume that the match engine applies some kind of factor to the distances covered if as in my case the total match is half as long.

• SI Staff

Its sped up slightly but not 2x. The reason players ran further in 09 was that they were less intelligent in terms of their movement ;)

The answer is for 10.2 to calculate distance covered using the factor we speed time up by, in the same way as we have always done for stuff like condition drop per distance covered and other stuff.

Hmm. Well, I don't enjoy watching the players run around unrealistically fast, so I have match speed on what I think is realistic (which seems to be 2 notches above normal for some reason). Or is normal actually 'real' speed?

The clock still ticks over faster, meaning the game content is half as long (it must do if I can complete a full match in ~50 minutes - the only bits that get skipped are when the ball goes out of play).

• SI Staff

Real time speed is slightly below the middle, but realistic player and ball speed is bang on the middle. And the 50 minutes you describe will exclude at least 10 minutes of "dead time" that is skipped.

Okay, I have played about 20 games including friendlies and the only gripe I would have is that there are an awful lot of 'phantom goals'. This generally happens when making a substitution. Once the pop- up box confirming 'making changes' disappears, it adds a goal on to one of the teams. I have tried pausing the game when making the changes but that doesn't make much difference. This has happend in five games, once for my team and on the other occasions against.

Edited to add:

Sorry, I should have posted this in the bug forum. I will copy and paste.

Have you posted this issue in the bugs forum? How does it compare to FM2009 for you?

not sure where to post it, iv tried hosting as have my mate, bith quad core's and good broadband speed, when clicking on any thing it's taking over 1 minute to respond, Fm09 was fine with just 2 or 3 sencond delay's

• SI Staff
I'm afraid that I have to agree that there are way too many penalties. Especially against me, despite my defenders all being hard-set to normal tackling and not tight marking.

So far I have conceded 0.75 penalties per game. That can't be right, surely?

What team are you playing as?

Crystal Palace. Everything is pretty standard (442, defenders man marking, and hard-set as normal tackling and not tight marking).

One thing I just noticed was that - although the division statistics do indeed work out to be about 0.2 penalties per game - one third of them were against MY team!

As I've explained, my tactics aren't overly aggressive in any way. My defensive line is also normal, but changes throughout the game (if necessary). What if the problem here is simply that the penalties are being given too much against human managers, but then averaging out amongst the rest of the teams to the (correct) 0.2? That would explain why some of us are complaining about it happening too much, while your research shows it to be averaging correctly (as it's always against us)!

Team colours are still screwed up.

Have posted in bug forum.

I'm Seattle but half the time, they don't use the green kit.

As far as I know, they use it in real life, nearly all the time, not half the time.

Also, is there a character limit on team names?

Glossop North End doesn't show up in the game on the scoreboard, instead replacing with "Glosso"

• SI Staff
Crystal Palace. Everything is pretty standard (442, defenders man marking, and hard-set as normal tackling and not tight marking).

One thing I just noticed was that - although the division statistics do indeed work out to be about 0.2 penalties per game - one third of them were against MY team!

As I've explained, my tactics aren't overly aggressive in any way. My defensive line is also normal, but changes throughout the game (if necessary). What if the problem here is simply that the penalties are being given too much against human managers, but then averaging out amongst the rest of the teams to the (correct) 0.2? That would explain why some of us are complaining about it happening too much, while your research shows it to be averaging correctly (as it's always against us)!

That has to be down to the players in your team then I guess. The AI doesnt differentiate between human and AI managers in this way.

• SI Staff

Also, is there a character limit on team names?

Glossop North End doesn't show up in the game on the scoreboard, instead replacing with "Glosso"

On certain screens there is a 6 letter version of the club name to cut down on space. Where there is no specific 6-letter entry in the database, it will use the first 6 letters of the club name.

On certain screens there is a 6 letter version of the club name to cut down on space. Where there is no specific 6-letter entry in the database, it will use the first 6 letters of the club name.

Which screens does this 6 letter version of the club name appear on? The scoreboard is the main one I can think of immediately. Are there any others?

Regards,

C.

I downloaded the game from steam but the patch hasn't automatically downloaded, is there a way that i can manually do it?

Go into steam>Right click on FM10>Go to Properties>Updates Tab> Then select from the drop down box to set automatic updates :thup:

Could we add in analysis tool in 10.2 patch :

- runs per player (failed and success ones )

- dribble

- add the physiscal contact as a tackle or as a seperate item

- accelarations

- a nice one : a player condition evolution during the match ( better in graphic form )

It will be really a great add !!

I installed from dvd without steam, and applied the 70Mb patch, all OK. Today I uninstalled and then reinstalled and registered through steam to save having to put in the dvd, and it's been updating for a few hours.

The bandwidth monitor is showing that about 300Mb is already downloaded, and it's only 50% through. It saying updating (so I don't think it's installing from scratch), but if the manual patch is only 70Mb, is it right that steam is pushing down about 600Mb patch? I knew there was a steam skin, but they'd normally only 10Mb or so, and so anyone have any idea why it's pushing down so much? (I've already checked an no other steam games are downloading in parallel).

I'm not convinced by the match engine whatsoever.

The number of wonder goals is incredible. At least one, maybe two a game - which is quite impressive at League One level.

Accidental touches are common and frankly shouldn't be. Players simply stand there when the ball is coming towards them. Perhaps this is linked with the closing down issue already discussed.

Defenders seem to ignore instructions completely. They will sometimes close down, sometimes won't. Set pieces they will stand and watch rather than marking (the instance I remember my defender actually ran away from the attacker to allow a free header).

The amount of spurned opportunities when my player is literally feet away is incredible. Hit the bar, straight at goalkeeper - all sorts. It seems to me that my players are readily able to score from 35 yards away but not from 5 yards. Bizarre.

I'm sure there will be loads of the same crowd happily ready to dismiss my concerns as "poor tactics". Coincidentally, I find these people also happen to be the match engine testers. Odd that. As for poor tactics, it may well be the case. But I doubt it as the same tactics, being tweaked and modified for each game as I did, took me on a 12 game unbeaten run.

Has SI noticed an increase in the average player age during its long-term soak tests? In a couple of 10 year holidays I've done, it's gone from 24 to 26-27, and the teams on the whole appear to be keeping their older players too much, rather than injecting new blood. Sort of related - is it considered an issue that the top English teams have first team English regulars who have never, or rarely, been capped? Would this indicate that the AI is still too biased towards older players in its squad selection?

Has SI noticed an increase in the average player age during its long-term soak tests? In a couple of 10 year holidays I've done, it's gone from 24 to 26-27, and the teams on the whole appear to be keeping their older players too much, rather than injecting new blood. Sort of related - is it considered an issue that the top English teams have first team English regulars who have never, or rarely, been capped? Would this indicate that the AI is still too biased towards older players in its squad selection?

AI managers allowing their squads to grow too old has been reported as being an issue in the past. I don't know about FM2010.

As far as English players, that might have something to do with home-grown rules. The EPL is adopting home-grown player quotas next season, so it's not just teams playing in European tournaments who have to worry about paying too much for English players anymore. :D

Archived