FM10 Small Club to Big Club Big Euro Nation Challenge

Gilbster - Amazing season. That Tom Mills looks quality.

ElDani - Vargas looks class. Age don't matter when you're good :)

iacovone - Yea I'm surprised I could find such decent quality in Italy that actually wants to join us. I'm gonna have a closer look at more nations. I've been neglecting it a bit since the summer really.

We just managed a 2-2 draw away to Vecindario who are 17th in the league, but they where 1.67 favorites and we actually lost a 2-0 lead. I can definitely see the major boost the signings have given us. Just need to try and get a few more, cause the second I took off two of them in the last game Vecindario started pressing and scored.

I'm pleased that we can scout so many countries already down here. Most of the big and medium european nations already. Just sending one to Croatia now. Are they considered a EU nation btw? If not I guess it's a waste of time.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's time for bed now, but I had to post the latest progress of my game before, because Forense has been rocking lately :D

I'm leading the league, finally!!! Granted, there are still 9 matches to be played and it's only two points but I'm slowly beginning to believe in the dream. Vargas has been playing well so far (2 goals and 4 assists in 5 games) and my two strikers are back on form, Azevedo even ended his goal drought of 500+ minutes and scored the most important goal of the day. The match against 12th placed Ac. Viseu was a prime example of my team's character: we were trailing 1:2 until minute 85 but a desperate offensive charge led to two goals in the span of a couple of minutes and each of my strikers got one into the net. The final result after 90 minutes was a 3:2 that may just have been the beginning of my promotion run :D

Ok lots of reading done after getting home from work, everyone is flying along.

Congrats Glib on making it up at the second attempt, gives me something to aim for. Also notice that you also signed Sibierski, The Z guy (My Capt) that I have on the books as well as Thaer haha, and Del someone from Spain who wouldn't sign for me haha.

All you relegation avoiders better keep working at the signings, that gem is out there somwhere.

Now I am heading to the 09 thread to post the awards up :)

Good luck with Albion Sydneytilidie

I think this is the first club that I havent killed the finances on in the first couple of seasons for ages! I have £132k in the bank, £11.39k transfer budget and £4.2k p/w wage budget which is roughly double from last season.

Season ticket sales are up to 180 from 149. So not that many people are interested in the newly promoted club!

Nice second season there Gilbster, looks like you have the players to survive too.

I finished the first season with Pajara late last night and finished 10th, detailed report to follow. Like Twellman though we've been dealt a big blow by reverting to Semi-Pro in order to help with running costs after I drove the club into quite a lot of debt. I'm just hoping the contracts I'd already organised are enough to push for promotion.

They should be, most areas of the team improved from 2* to 5* now. Just right AM and right WB look weak now.

ElDani you're flying ! Best of luck on the promotion push

Ohanzee those Italians look really useful, especially Atzeni. Hope they learn the language quick for you !

Sydneytilidie welcome and good luck ! This challenge is all about endurance

Glad to hear you finished 10th TanO. Why are you guys starting pro and then going semi-pro? Surely its normally the other way round? Also what are the rest of the teams in your division?

Mid Season Table - Its an encouraging first half to the season, and I feel that it could go either way, but hopefully we should be able to hold on above the drop zone.

S.D. Noja 2010/2011

15th in Spanish Second Division B1 (pred: 20th) | Transfers | Finances | Graph

The Season

• We got off to a very shaky start. In the first 14 games we lost 10 and won only one game. I blame the lack of backroom staff at the start of the season for this more than anything. All we had was a crappy physio. I made a big mistake of not checking the squad rules before starting the free transfer spree. We signed to many old players and had to play without several of them cause there was no room in the squad.
  • At the end of November things started to look brighter, for two reasons. We played two of the bottom teams in the league and won both games 1-0. At the same time the free transfer window opened again and we managed to get quite a few talented italian youngsters in. We went on a good run managing 5-2-1 in 8 games.
  • The good run ended again when we met Burgos away. I made a huge mistake. I have two tactics I use. A control version and a standard version. When I made them I made the mistake of saving the control version with "Standard" in it's name first and save it again with "Control" in it later. So I have 2 tactics in my folder with "Standard" in the name. Somehow I made the mistake of chosing the wrong one and ended up playing the next 5 games with the wrongly named control tactic. This tactic is really meant for good teams playing very wide with lots of movement. It completely ruined our run of form. 0-3 to Burgos was followed up with 0-3, 0-2, 2-3, 1-4.
  • After the 4-1 loss to Atletico B I was wondering why on earth I was letting in so many goals all of a sudden. So I decided to try and untick "counter attack". Much to my surprise when I went to the team instructions it wasn't ticked at all. This is when I realised I had been using the wrong tactic *sigh*
  • Our morale had already dropped so low I was afraid the season was ruined, but we managed to win the next game 2-1 at home to Pajara Playas. A very important win as they where just above the relegation spots at that time. We managed 3-3-2 in the next 8 games and all of a sudden we where in the playoff spot for relegation. Pajara Playas was above us on safe ground but only on goal difference. This was about to change.
  • With just two games left of the season Salvatore Fresi rallied the troops for what was the most important game of the season. At home to Vecindario we should win, they where already relegated. And boy did the team respond. 6-1 was the final score, our Italian winger Atzeni scoring a hat-trick in the process. Pajara Playas also won their game, but our big scoreline saw us pass them on goal difference.
  • One game left of the season and both we and Pajara Playas had difficult away games. I had hopes of getting a result at Conquense since we beat them 2-0 at home, but it wasn't to be. It took just 1 minute before they scored the opener. And when another went in after 29 I though we where heading for playoffs. Fresi made it 2-1, but we lost 3-1 in the end.
  • However it did not matter. Palencia beat Pajara Playas 3-0 and we snapped the safe spot ahead of them on goal difference. We're still in the game!!

The Players

Hard to pick any from such a bad bag of apples but I'll try

• Roberto Jimenez - Not the best average rating, but close enough, and he played more games than anyone. We struggled when ever he was injured or not available.
  • Salvatore Fresi - He got the highest average rating of 7.03 in the end. I played him in a DMC role and he did a great job. 4 goals and 3 assists and a great pass completion ratio (for this level).
  • Simone Confalone - Same as Fresi really. Good quality all around. The lack of pace hurt him a lot in the games I played the wrong tactic though.
  • Gianluca Atzeni - The italian winger. He also struggled when we played the wrong tactic. All my frontmen did in factt. They never saw the ball. But he ended at 8 goals and 2 assists picking up a MoM award 3 times. Great first (half) season.
  • Mirko Fioravanti - Looked quality on both sides of the backline. Need more like him.
  • Andrea Visconti - The big striker. Struggled more than anyone when we used the wide tactic. Playing as bad as 4.60. But looks a real targetman and ended up scoring some important goals and setting up others. Trying to make him play simple passes, cause his passing ability is really bad.

That's my picks, not sure how many of them are good enough to get us promoted, but we'll see. We also signed a few others in January. Falardo, Belcastro, Romano, Rosalia, and Crivello. None of them set my world on fire though, but I have hopes for them. Especially Belcastro once he gets going.

The Finances

Well we ended in red in the end, but only just. Looking ok for now. Need to offload some to get under the wage budget again though. We're at £4k of £3.5k at the moment. None of my players are wanted by other teams right now so I don't expect to get much money from transfers. There's plenty of players I'm not gonna offer new contracts though so the wage budget should sort itself out and hopefully we can sign a couple of improvements.

The Last Word

I think this was the most exciting season I've played in FM for a long time. I was really worried we might be relegated. Can thank whoever decided to make the fixtures against the 3-4 worst teams in the league be in the last 6 rounds for that. Hopefully we can stay out of the bottom 5 all together next season and start building a squad worthy of promotion.

Gilbster - congrats on promotion. fantastic season there - gives Des something to aim for. good luck next season

Ohanzee - those italians look really good. Fioravanti and Atenzi are really the stand out too and should be great for you.

TanO - solid first season there. hopefully the semi-pro status doesn't hurt too much and you can improve next season.

sydneytilidie - welcome and good luck with Albion Rovers.

As for me, i'm going to work on a little introduction to my key players, to make you familiar with a few names to look out for....

Glad to hear you finished 10th TanO. Why are you guys starting pro and then going semi-pro? Surely its normally the other way round? Also what are the rest of the teams in your division?

Mid Season Table - Its an encouraging first half to the season, and I feel that it could go either way, but hopefully we should be able to hold on above the drop zone.

You're right it normally works the other way. Looking at Pajara's History it seems that in real life they only got relegated in 09/10 and in FM10 have bounced straight back up, so I guess that explains why they were still professional when they got promoted at the start of the 2010/11 season. We're back to where most teams would expect to start now, so if it was an advantage I've blown it now :eek:

Gilbster - 2012/13 Elgin City - Scottish Second Division - End of Season Update

Table | Positions | Squad | Transfers | Player of the Season

I had one goal for this season, which was to avoid relegation. Anything else was a bonus. I brought in a few new players and have somehow increased my squad size a bit too much. Luckily I was buying quality.

The cups were pretty much the same as last year, getting to the same stages before losing to higher level club. I did manage to get St Mirren to a replay in the Scottish FA Cup though.

Season started off in nerve wracking style with the first four matches of the season being draws followed by a win. Took a while to get a second win, but we drew loads of games and never looked in any real danger of going down.

Thanks to win against division whipping boys Peterhead on the last day of the season, we guaranteed ourselves a playoff spot. We have been drawn against Dunfermline from the division above, so have the toughest of the semi finals. To be honest I wont mind whatever the result as I don't feel the squad is quite ready to go up. I feel we need at least 1-2 more seasons in this division to build a bit.

Career So Far

Season    Division           Position    Points     Achievements
2010/11   Third Division     3rd         59         Lost in playoff semi final
2011/12   Third Division     1st         77         Winners and Promoted
2012/13   Second Division    4th         56         Playoffs

Wow Gilbster, another great season there, being promoted and then finishing in the Playoffs is a remarable achievement. I am really hoping I can follow those footsteps up towards the top when I get more time again, during the week I only have short evenings and then work all day. So my major movement is on the weekends, but with two trips coming up I may not be cracking on until December haha.

A 2-2 draw away against a better team is just incredible, great work :)

Thanks for the kind words Des. No idea how long I can keep this up for, and I will be playing slower in upcoming days I'm sure (back at work tomorrow!).

Playoff Semi Final Leg 2 - uh that's the away leg!!!!

I have Alloa in the playoff final and it appears to be over 2 legs too. I haven't been putting in the best of results against Alloa, so I am not convinced, and I just accidently annoyed teh whole squad by fining the guy who was sent off in that second leg. Ooops

Elgin vs Alloa - Playoff Final Leg 1

Alloa vs Elgin - Playoff Final Second Leg

Yes! Yes! Yes!, I don't believe it, what a match, was 1-0 up within 22 secs and we somehow managed to keep scoring and replying when they scored. What a result, I'm delighted and scared.

From what I can tell the 1st, 2nd and 3rd divisions are reasonably similar in skill levels based on what my scouts reckon players are rated. As a result there is a chance that with a bit more strength and luck that I may stay up next season.

My only goal for the new season is survival. I dont even want a cup run for finances, all I want is to stay in the First Division for a few seasons, to build.

And for those interested here is Roberto Platero - first leg hattrick hero and top scorer of the season for Elgin. Picked up on a free after Numancia let him go at the end of last season.

Having looked at the First Division, I feel it will definitely be the toughest to get out of, but equally that I shouldnt end up accidently promoted before I should be! It only has 1 automatic promotion spot and no playoffs to go up. And 1 auto relegation and 1 relegation playoff spot at the other end. So in theory all I have to do is finish 8th (9th at worst and be lucky) and stick at it for a few seasons until I have a squad that can beat the First division sides regularly.

The team: Sporting Club Farense

The manager: Francisco Peixoto

The player: ElDani

1st Portuguese Second Division - North || Transfers || Finances || Graph

The season: 2010/11

The league: Portuguese Second Division - North

Pre-season stat: Transfer budget: € 7k

Pre-season stat: Wage budget: € 49k / month

Pre-season stat: Opening Balance: € 54k

Post-season stat: Closing Balance: € -311k

Board expectations: respectable position within the league

Media expectations: 6th

My expectations pre-season: top third

My expectations mid-season: top 2, maybe promotional playoffs

Farense league record: finished 1st place

Farense Taca de Portugal Cup: Fifth Round, lost 2:3 against FC Gil Vicente (Liga Vitalis)

Key players: Nélson Sousa (GK); Jeff Strasser (DC), Bocas (DR); Hamilton (DMC), Rodrigo (ML), Vargas (MR); Clemente (ST)

Top scorer: Clemente 22

Top assister: Filipe Azevedo 9

Average Attendance: 2945

Fan Player Of The Year: not voted yet

My Player Of The Year: Hamilton

Transfers in: Jeff Strasser (DC), Jorge Silva (GK), Toninho I (DM + MC), Luís Silva (ST), Ferreira (MRC), Filipe Azevedo (ST), Clemente (ST), Bocas (DRC + WBR), Nélson Sousa (GK), Hamilton (DM + MC), Marinho (MC), Neto (AMC), Vargas (AMRC)

Worst buy(s): Jorge Silva (wanted to get one last season as a starter out of him, but he only played 5 games). Marinho (showed nice stats but after I found Neto & Vargas, he was demoted to being a benchwarmer)

Okay, so far for the end of season stats. I've used Dave's conscise listing because I liked it, hope that's okay with you.

Now what happened since I last posted here? A lot more than I'd have liked! I was so happy to finally push forward to the first place in my league but it didn't stay that way for long. In the past nine weeks we traded first place with Sporting Espinho almost daily (position progress graph). It all came to a head with two games to go and both of us with 65 points each. Because Espinho had a better goal difference than us, we had to win and hope for a mistake on their end. I almost couldn't believe it when we won a tough 1:0 against very strong 4th placed SC Gondomar and Espinho lost 0:1 against the weaker Ac. Viseu. That put the pressure firmly on them for the last match and we only needed a draw to have a secure place in the playoffs. Another narrow 1:0 win against 3rd placed SC Freamunde put us firmly in the first place as Espinho stumbled again, playing a 2:2 draw.

Here's my review of the regular season:

• Sporting Espinho started with an unbelieveable record and we could only trail behind for a long time. They won 11 out of the first 12 games and made 2.6 goals/game and conceding 0.8 goals/game. From week 13 to week 30 they won "only" 9 out of 17 games, making only 1.7 goals/game and conceding 1 goal/game.
  • We on the other hand won 8 of the first 12 games, making 1.6 goals per game and conceded 0.7 goals/game. From week 13 to 30 we won 13 out of 17 games, making 1.94 goals/game and conceding 0.8 goals/game.
  • There were some very tough games in the latter half of the season, like the comeback win against Caldas SC where we were trailing with two goals and still managed to be victorious. But there were also plenty of lucky games that could have ended very different - one of those was a mid season 0:0 draw against SC Freamunde in which we managed to have two long shots in the whole game and nothing else! Seven games ended 1:0 in our favor and in some of those, we weren't the stronger team at all.
  • For the last ten games we were plagued by injuries, not only was the strong left winger Rodrigo out for three games, but we also lost our starting striker Filipe Azevedo until the end of the season in week 23 of 30.
  • With all of those stats being mentioned, it's clear to me that we were not a dominating team in this league and our strong league finish (5 points before 2nd, 11 points before 3rd) shouldn't distract from that. Without the best defensive effort in the whole league, SC Farense would have been a good candidate for a top-half finish only.

Curiosities:

• Despite winning the league, Francisco Peixoto has never been manager of the month.
  • Only two guys have played in all 30 league-games: Luís Lopez (DC who was already employed when I signed on) and Clemente (ST, one of my bargain buys)
  • Despite being my leading striker by far (Azevedo only had 5 goals from 21 games), Clemente is only the third best scorer in the league with 22 goals from 30 games. Moses Sakyi shot an incredible 33 goals and is a deserved winner of that discipline.
  • Despite having such a good season, only four of my players have an average rating above 7: Clemente (ST, 7.16); Luís Lopez (DC, 7.10); Jeff Strasser (DC, 7.07) and Bocas (DC, 7.05) - amazing that 3 out of those 4 are first team defenders. My fourth 1st team defender had a respectable 6.95 though.

I'm gonna have to take a break now but nothing can stop me from having the playoffs later tonight. It's crazy but I haven't been motivated like this to play FM for a long time! Later on I'll also post about my new 18yo French goalkeeper who will hopefully be my future star in Portugal's highest league (Liga Sagres).

Well everybody seems to be getting into this challenge nicely :)

I have managed to get to the Christmas break with my team, Pisa, so this is my mid-season update;

Though newly promoted into Serie C2C the board seem to be quite ambitious by expecting me to reach the 2nd round of the C2C Cup and obtain a playoff spot in the league.

I managed to qualify through the group qualification in the cup but was knocked out in the 1st round - disappointing the board in the process.

The league has lived up to the boards expectations and they are pleased with the way the league has gone so far.

Lets hope we can push on and maintain our playoff position and maybe even dream of a potential promotion. :thup:

Well done everybody! Things seem to be going remarkably well for everybody.

It's not to bad over in Ostuni either, we've just finished our second season in a very comfortable mid-table spot, and should be able to push upwards again next season. I'll have the report up later. :)

Well my players obviously know something that I don't as the first match of the new league season was Elgin 1-0 Inverness Caledonian Thistle. I cant believe we have gotten a win so soon in our new league and just hope we can get enough to stay off the bottom.

My side this season has a dutch and spanish flair to it.

2 seasons already! I'm only halfway through my first.

We're still struggling for goals but after 20 games sit in 14th with 23 points. That doesn't tell the whole story however as we have conceded the second most goals in the league and have a goal difference of -17.

On the youth side - I'm not doing any transfers - a young centre back (15 years old) has proven to be just as good as some of my older players. :)

Oh! I really want to be playing this right now! People, especially those around last year, where should I go? I'm taking advice. There seem to be a lot of people in Scotland, so that might be out. I'm tempted to go back to Italy. But Germany, France and Holland all sound interesting.

What do all think?

Oh! I really want to be playing this right now! People, especially those around last year, where should I go? I'm taking advice. There seem to be a lot of people in Scotland, so that might be out. I'm tempted to go back to Italy. But Germany, France and Holland all sound interesting.

What do all think?

I reckon you should try pastures new. I nearly went to Germany so that's my vote, though Holland would be fun (though only 2 divisions).

Well my players obviously know something that I don't as the first match of the new league season was Elgin 1-0 Inverness Caledonian Thistle. I cant believe we have gotten a win so soon in our new league and just hope we can get enough to stay off the bottom.

My side this season has a dutch and spanish flair to it.

Gilbster I'm starting to get a bit suspicious here, you keep playing down your chances but you keep defeating anyone who stands in your way! :D

I have a feeling you have a rather useful squad ;)

I reckon you should try pastures new. I nearly went to Germany so that's my vote, though Holland would be fun (though only 2 divisions).

Hmm, only two divisions is a bit of a turn off. Germany or France then. (I'm discounting Spain because I spent a fair amount of time playing about in their lower leagues on my career game.)

Maybe I'll go to Portugal though. Show LLR how it's done!

Hmm, only two divisions is a bit of a turn off. Germany or France then. (I'm discounting Spain because I spent a fair amount of time playing about in their lower leagues on my career game.)

That's the spirit!!

Got a feeling tonight could be a good session for Castillo C.F

Just beat 4th placed Lemona 2-0 away from home in a tactical masterclass from the Gran Canarians! :)

Portugal's a very entertaining game. I'd recommend it. :thup:

ElDani, I love that you paid £65 as a transfer fee!

Good to see people getting their teeth into this. Just got back from a fun weekend away. With 7 games gone the Kickers are 10th (out of 20) with a 2-3-2 record, and the defensive hi-jinks have been diminished. I've found that defending deep seems to be reasonably effective. Tullberg and Oerhl are a potent strike force as expected, but if they misfire we don't have much of a plan B.

Yeah, Portugal definitely is a fun country to play in. Unlike some other countries' lower leagues, your only chance of promotion lies in winning the title and having successful playoffs against the other two title winners.

If you're looking for a rather strong promoted team, here are the only three not re-relegated computer teams in my game. If you're looking for the weakest possible squads, you'll be having a much more difficult time, I'm sure.

6th Uniao Torreense

9th Casa Pia

11th AD Fafe

(add Farense here, because they were predicted to do a top 10 easily as well)

ElDani, I love that you paid £65 as a transfer fee!

Considering I'm about 300k Euros in the red, that doesn't make a big impact ;) But I really like that for the first time, transfer fees between 0 and 1k are a real possibility. For small lower league teams with little to no transfer budget, this makes strengthening their squad possible.

2010/11 Pájara Playas End of Season Update

7885612.gif

Pájara's players fight for mid-table mediocrity

It was certainly an interesting arrival in the Canary Islands for manager Ricardo Chimunez. Greeted at the airport by Pájara's only member of staff, the goalkeeping coach Ayoze Vega, there was plenty of work to do before even thinking about kicking a ball!

I signed up a fitness coach, physio, 2 coaches and the Ass Man as soon as possible and went about trying to create a free flowing tactic. That proved disastrous as we began by losing games after scoring first. All style and no substance ! Following some good advice from iacovone I changed to a very rigid 4-2-3-1 which was a significant improvement.

In the january window we picked up young goalkeeper Zak Boucher and Mauritius international Jonathan Bru, who definitely helped us to finish the league in a respectable 10th place. Due to the mounting debt we have been forced into Semi-Pro status.

New signings for next season (all free)

GK - Iago

DC - Ismael

DC - Phibel

DM - Diakate, who was a steal from Belenenses in Portugal

DM - Ciaramitaro

WBL - Machote

AML - Oussaiah

AMC - Perez

AMC - Toti

and finally

STR - Alex

Alex is an interesting experiment, he's been tearing it up in Division 3, but has absolutely no pace or agility whatsoever. Hopefully he will work as a target man, only time will tell.

In a very surprising move I was offered the USA job at the end of the season, but of course have more important things to worry about !

Club: Ostuni Sport

Season: 2011/12

League: Italian Serie C2/C

Transfer Budget: £38 :p

Wage Budget: £8.7k

Opening Balance: -£78.8k

Closing Balance: -£240.7k

Board Expectations: Avoid relegation

Media Expectation: 12th

Your Expectations: Safe position

League Record: Pos 12th, W 10, D 10, L 14, F 36, A 45, Pts 40

Serie C Cup: Group stage, finished 3rd

First XI: (4-4-2) Castellani; Giglio, Zochi, Feole, Santarelli; Calzi, Vaccaro, Sandra, Tony; Galeri, Dell'Acqua.

Top Scorer: Raphael Galeri 12

Top Assister: Raphael Galeri 8

Average Attendance: 1717

Fans Player Of The Year: Tony

My Player Of The Year: Tony

Notable Results: 3-2 vs Paganese, 4-4 vs Gela, 0-4 vs Catanzaro.

Transfers In: 4 players in on frees.

Best Buy: Giampaolo Calzi had a very good season, and for no money at all was an absolute bargain.

Worst Buy: All four played their part in the team this season - none of them were particularly bad at all.

Transfers Out: Just the 22 players were released on frees...

Best Sale: -

Table

Round-Up: We scored as many as we did last year.. but conceded nearly half the amount. We played a lot better, winning and drawing more frequently than last time around, and things are looking much more promising for the club now that I know we're not in huge danger of going down. Those finances really need sorting out though...

SEASON     DIVISION               POSITION      NOTES
2010/11    Italian Serie C2/C     17th          
2011/12    Italian Serie C2/C     12th

Aims For Next Season: Improve on our position further. Pushing for the playoffs maybe?

TanO - firstly, good job this year, 10th is a great start it would seem in Spain. Diakate looks incredibly good for this standard, well done on getting him. I reckon Alex will do well for you to be honest, technically superior to any defender in the league. Lord knows how you were offered the USA job - 100% sure you had automatic reputation ticked? Seems like a potential bug tbh

Edit: Hate to be forum police but you didn't post your initial profile picture, any chance of doing it soon?

Gilbster I'm starting to get a bit suspicious here, you keep playing down your chances but you keep defeating anyone who stands in your way! :D

I have a feeling you have a rather useful squad ;)

I know what my track record is generally like on Football Manager. I haven't gotten that close to completing any of these small to big challenges over the past few years, and I am definitely not normally the sort of person to get back to back promotions (apart from perhaps in Northern Ireland in FM08!).

There may be a few good players in the squad, given they keep seeming to want to do well. Must be some ambition there somewhere!

n253915745713_7210.jpg

Venezia - Serie C2/A - Season 2010/11

An Introduction

First off a little history of the club, courtesy of Wikipedia.....

In its history, Venezia has spent a large part of recent years bouncing between Italy's two top divisions (they were last relegated from Serie A in 2002). It was this last season in Serie A which signalled the beginning of the end for the old club. Frustrated with the team and the inability to agree plans for a larger stadium with the council, then President, Maurizio Zamparini, decided to purchase U.S. Città di Palermo, and took with him a large portion of the squad.

Their stadium, the Pierluigi Penzo, is the only ground in Italy's top flights to which opposing teams and fans must get a boat.

Venezia won the Coppa Italia in 1941. That team contained some of the players who went on to form part of the Torino F.C. side of the 1940s who died in the Superga air disaster in 1949, such as Ezio Loik and Valentino Mazzola.

At the end of the 2008-09 Lega Pro Prima Divisione season, the club declared bankruptcy again and was refounded, changing its name to Foot Ball Club Unione Venezia, and starting in Serie D - the top level non-professional league in Italian football. The club has also designed a new logo. Serie D ranks just below Lega Pro Seconda Divisione (the 4th and last professional league), and is thus considered the 5th ranked league in the country. Since the early 1990s, Serie D has been split into 9 regional divisions (Gironi), labelled A to I. For the 2009-2010 season, F.B.C. Unione Venezia will be playing in Girone C.

As you can see, the club has some decent history, and fits into my challenge criteria of being teams i remember from the 90s, and who are trying to make it back to the big time. Curiously, i've just realised that i like clubs based near water!! Como (Lake Como), Real Oviedo (coastal city) and now Venezia (all the canals...) how odd!! :D

As for the team, we had a few players at the club when i took over, but all were pretty poor and have been sold on for future profit percentages. I have drafted in a whole new squad, mainly mad eup of experienced pros and young guns, who will hopefully guide us towards the top of the table. Whilst predicted to come 6th by the media, the bookies made us favourites for the title!! I was given £50,000 to spend and a wage budget of £11k per week.

So, onto the squad who'll hopefully take Venezia into Serie C1 at the first time of asking....

Squad 1 Squad 2

Transfer 1 Transfers 2

Goalkeepers

Alex Brunner - veteran goalkeeper who will fight with Marruocco for the starting jersey. Not as good according to scouts as Marruocco, he has performed slightly better in matches so far

Vincenzo Marruocco - great keeper who should do well between the sticks.

Defenders

Francesco Carbone - 30 year old RB who has proved pretty solid so far.

Fabrizio Di Bella - signed from Livorno for £6k, he is great for this level and can play either LB, his position for me, or at CB

Daniele Adani - Veteran CB who's already been a bit of a rock at the back for us. great in the air.

Liberato Filosa - my biggest signing so far for £20k, was highly rated but has under-performed so far. hopefully his form will pick up.

Midfielders

Francesco Signori - young DM/CM on loan from Sampdoria. provides good cover and options in midfield

Mamede - 36 year old Portugese CM who partners Olive in the golden oldies midfield.

Renato Olive - 39 and still going strong! performs admirably in the CM role and is one of our best players.

Mattia Collauto - veteran winger who's been solid so far

Simone Comolese - Signed for £2k from Torino, i'm really excited by this kid. got a big future and i think he may be one of our first stars.

Strikers

Matteo Perelli - young striker who is already becoming my no. 1 striker. great form already this season.

Goran Slavkovski - young Swede signed from Inter Milan. good in the air, he's my target man. hasn't scored many so far but has played a part in most games.

Fabrizio Santoni - young striker on loan from ..... quality back up.

They are the main core of the team. i have built up, in my opinion, a pretty good squad and if they gel quickly we might do pretty well this season.

So far, we crashed out of the Serie C Cup, but i was treating them as pre-season matches and wasn't trying to win really. the league has started OK, and we're in the middle of the pack. We're scoring well, but we are vulnerable at the back at times. need to work on my tactic a little. if we can tighten up at the back we have a chance of promotion i think. time will tell!!

Lovely intro rlipscombe, I like the look of the keeper and Perelli up front. Not so sure about the 20k signing though, hopefully he'll come into his own.

Little Castillo update - we're clinging on to league football at the moment. In 16th (the relegation playoff spot) and far from consistent but at the moment we are just keeping up with the sides above us. Made some good signings for next summer, so I'd love us to stay up!

cheers iacovone.... yeah, i'm a little unsure about Filosa now!! might get him tutored by Adani, see if it helps. good luck for Castillo..... i think if you make this season you'll kick on no doubt.

some great looking players TanO. Alex is quality apart from his pace!! has he got concrete boots???????? :)

The team: Sporting Club Farense

The manager: Francisco Peixoto

The player: ElDani

Il Divisao Pro. Playoff: table

The promotion playoff in the Portuguese Second Division consists of a group with each of the three league champions taking part for two promotion slots into the Liga Vitalis. Each team plays each other twice which amounts to a total of four playoff games.

First game: SC Farense - CD Mafra

Result: 1:0

Post-game comment: I'm happy to say that our superior defense has not lost form, because they're still saving me from so many possible losses. This game could've gone the other way easily with two clear-cut chances for Mafra. That being said however, all other stats indicate an even game which was only won by a long-shot from my defensive midfielder Hamilton in minute 94.

Before my second game, Mafra played a draw against our other opponent CF Estrela Amadora which means, Farense remains in the sole lead of the playoff group.

Second game: CF Estrela Amadora - SC Farense

Result: 1:1

Pre-game Comment: Not only did I not have a game for 14 days but my starting goalkeeper had the flu and is not completely fit yet. On the other hand, I already played the club in a pre-season friendly and won 1:0, so nothing should be impossible ;) I'll be playing again in my 4-4-2 Diamond system with a controlled attacking tactic that has been used most of the time in this season.

Post-game comment: For the first ten minutes I thought that this would be an easily won game, since I was constantly harrassing Estrela in front of their penalty area. In the end it wasn't that easy, because despite our superiority the guys couldn't direct ANYTHING useful towards the goal. After a total restructure of my attack strategy during halftime that got better, but the score was still 0:0until this a****** of a referee awarded Estrela a totally undeserved penalty. Hamilton - again - made a goal in overtime for the end result of 1:1. I'm sure that Jeff Strasser, one of my top defenders, will be missed in the next game since he's out with an injury for a while.

Before my third game, I recieved notice that three of my players will retire at the end of the next season. Since none are regular starters, this isn't a big blow but who knows what else is to come in that vein? Maybe it's fate that two of those players I toted as "worst buys" in an earlier post of mine ;)

Third game: CD Mafra - SC Farense

Result: 1:1

Post-game comment: Luis Silva ends his goal drought after 300+ minutes with a rare header and I'm leading after minute 20. Our opponents get back in the game though with a header into our net following a corner. The game feels like a draw for the remaining 30 minutes and no tactical commands could change that. Judging from the statistics I should be happy with this draw but knowing that we could've won this irks me.

Another two backup players announce their retirement for 20th May 2012. Meh, I've got one year to find replacement benchwarmers. CF Estrela won their playoff game against CD Mafra with 3:1 and that means, that I'm already through to the next league. Liga Vitalis here I come!!!

Fourth game: SC Farense - CF Estrela Amadora

Result: 0:0

Pre-game Comment: My second first team striker (Filipe Azevedo) is back in training and Jeff Strasser is a possibility as well. Also, I was notified that a record crowd of over 8000 may be watching the match. Thank god, I can surely use the money.

Post-game comment: Got 33.5k from 8125 tickets but I'm still 340k in the red. That being said, the game was a boring 0:0 and I'm glad that this season is finally at an end!

On a curious side note: Have you ever managed to become manager of the year without getting a single manager of the month title? Also good luck to you all.

Dave. your finances will become a bigger worry, the longer you don't manage a promotion. That being said, I wish you all the luck for next season.

TanO good luck for next season as well. I hope the semi-pro status doesn't impede your team all that much from reaching a promotion. I'd be interested though how much your club is saving by going down that road.

rlipscombe good luck to you for your first season. Being made title favorites can be a burden but your squad is suitably strenghtened to make that possibility come true. I think you'll do well.

Archived