FM10 Small Club to Big Club Big Euro Nation Challenge

Lost home 0-1. Against 10 since 15th minute. On a penalty. I now have Cadiz away and Betis B home before Antequera away...ands I'm already on playoff spot. Not looking good.

So of course Cadiz is going to kill me, but they have already secured a playoff spot, so they shouldnt have lots of intensity in real life. I wish FM reflected things like these.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes! Our first point! 0-0 at home to Palencia who where 1.33 favorites to beat us. Could have won to if your striker didn't pass the ball back to our fullback every time he's through on goal :p Game was pretty close really, they probably deserved to win though.

Gotta say after the first half of the season, I am reasonably happy and surprised with how things have gone.

Knocked out of the cups in the first round of all of them, but league form has been a lot more promising.

Table - 12 points away from the bottom of the table and 4 points away from the playoff zone. Anything could happen in the second half of this season.

I think I have managed to sign the same Jordinian player as Des, a striker called Thaer who my scout in Spain managed to find.

Just about to play my first league game after hours trying to find the right players. I do have a question though. Should I change my formation to play a left winger who would probably tear most teams up - but the team is weak down the other flank or keep it as my formation without wingers because of my four decent centre midfielders?

Nice going Gilbster, looking good :thup:

rlipscombe - I think I'm having to high expectations tbh. The odds of us getting promotion at the start of the season was 151. The team we just managed 0-0 against are expected to be 10th and they still where 1.33 favorites at our ground. So I think this team is just really really bad.

I got Deportivo as a feeder club but they won't even send their worst 16 year olds to me :rolleyes: What a waste. Hopefully I can make some money off the friendly against them next summer.

Lost to Cadiz 2-0, nothing much I could have done. Two games left, I am on playoff spot and Antequera is still one point behind. I am playing Betis B home, who just lost 2-0 home against Melilla. If I happen to win and Sevilla Atletico loses to 8th place Jerez away (could happen), I'd be clear of the playoff by one point.

At this point, I'm looking to beat Betis B and praying Melilla beats Antequera home, which would put us four points ahead and send them to relegation before we even have to go play them in hte last day--and then it's all a matter of beating a relegated team and see if the other results hold to avoid the playoff.

Way too many calculations. Let's just try to beat already relegated Betis B first. Nervous :(

Edit: I got Xerez as a feeder club, but they didn't send me anyone and they got relegated in week 28 lol. So much for that.

First 35 minutes against Betis B...six yellow cards, and an offside goal that didn't look like one. Not looking good :(

Edit: Penaltyyyyyy

Guerrero runs towards the ball...GOAAL!!! 70th minute come on!

GOAAAL Melilla scored against Antequera, we could be clear of direct relegation!!!

Yes!!!! Both Sevilla Atletico and Antequera lost by one away; we are now saved from relegation and we only need to match Sevilla's result to be clear from playoff too!

The impossible has happened! We won a game.

Sky Bet gave us no chance away to Barakaldo with them being 1.17 favorites. But we managed to scrape a 3-2 win, and we even played pretty well. They had twice the amount of shots, but we had the bigger chances. And for once we scored on them! :D

It actually took us away from the bottom as well. We're now 19th with 4 points from 7 games. Bad news though as our best central defender is out for 3-4 weeks after the game with a twisted ankle.

iacovone - Nice one, hope this is the turn around for both of us. All of a sudden I have hopes of avoiding relegation.

Twellman24 - Crossing my fingers. You can do it! :thup:

We did it! Even with a penalty, on the 70th minute, and Guerrero scoring it even though he sent the last one to the clouds, we won. Antequera and Sevila both lost 1-0 away. As of now we are clear of both relegation by four and playoff, by one point.

Now onto the bad news. Antequera is not dead. If they beat us and Sevilla Atletico loses home against 3rd place Jaen, they will earn the playoff spot and send Sevilla to the Third division. So we are to expect a pretty hostile environment.

Sevilla loses no matter what we do: Salvation!

We win = Salvation!

We tie, Sevilla wins: Relegation playoff.

We tie, Sevilla ties: We're clear.

I wont say anything now untl the season update, just so that I have somehing to say lol.

Vamos Algeciras!!!

That'd be way too much excitement for me lol.

Something i havent said but that is a possibility: If we lose and Sevilla tie, we would go to the relegation playoffs on head to head games. That would be just wrong. And Sevilla have not won a match in three months. Surely...

We just lost another homegame. 1-0 against Atletico Madrid B. Very pleased with the performance. 1-1 in clear cut chances, good game. They have some players that really don't belong in this division. Pacheco and Cabrera could send any team to promotion places on their own.

Yea to exciting :)

Pajara Playas I think someone is playing as them? They where 1.33 favorites to beat us at their ground and they did. Starting to wonder what kind of reputation this club has, it must be minus something. 1-0 again. But again we could have gotten a point if our striker didn't have two wooden legs :p

How exactly do the 'B' teams work? I know they can't get promoted so you can get promoted ending behind them, but how about in the bottom? If one of the 'B' teams are in a relegation spot, will the team above them get the relegation spot instead?

Good morning folks, great to see some strong games going. Best of luck avoiding the drop Twell, and yes Gilb that seems to be my striker haha. Good work on getting through a half season and being in the top half. Iacovone & Ohan, surely men who conquered Italy or France can show Spain what they are made of. I will be back in Scotland after work today :)

I don't understand the promotion system.

Ponferradina won my division last year, but lost first in the "First Phase Playoff" and then in the "Second Phase Playoff" and are now in B2 instead of B1. But the table also have Zamora, Lemona and Guijuelo in playoff spots. So is there 7 spots for playoff then?

Really confused. :confused:

iacovone - What about Noja? :)

I don't understand the promotion system.

Ponferradina won my division last year, but lost first in the "First Phase Playoff" and then in the "Second Phase Playoff" and are now in B2 instead of B1. But the table also have Zamora, Lemona and Guijuelo in playoff spots. So is there 7 spots for playoff then?

Really confused. :confused:

iacovone - What about Noja? :)

it is really confusing... i played there last year and i still don't understand!! all i'll say is if you make the play-offs, win all your games!!!!

Yes it is the real Boavista, they have suffered relegation again and are now in the 2nd Div of Portugal.

As for the B teams, they can get promoted or relegated so long as they don't get into the same division as their parent team. :)

Wow I did not know that. Incredible that such a highly regarded team can slip so quickly to anonymity. Great result in that case :thup:

I checked it myself. Noja is 2250 actually, bit higher than I suspected. Burgos is 3050. I wonder why every team we play are 1.33 favorites away and 1.13 favorites at home though. Guess the odds aren't only based on reputation.

The team: Sporting Club Farense

The manager: Francisco Peixoto

The player: ElDani

The first ten rounds in the league have been played and I'm exceeding anyone's expectations, even mine. While there is no clear superstar in Farense's squad, I'm happy with Jeff Strasser and Hamilton who are both playing in their respective national teams Luxembourg and Togo. Our good defense managed to keep the conceded goals down to 8 in 10 games which was essential for the current 7-2-1 record (league table).

But as happy as I am about Farense's good performance, there's no real hope of catching Sporting Espinho who had a fantastic start and won 9 of the first 10 games. If they continue on in that way for the rest of the season, I'll be in some trouble, since there's no money available for further transfers :( Then again, Sporting Espinho must have a spectacularly negative bank balance to get an "insecure" financial rating in their profile.

Good luck to you guys, after reading this thread I'm sure some of you will need that!

Gilbster - Elgin City - Scottish 3rd Division - 2010/11 End of Season Update

Table | Positions | Squad | Transfers

Feels like only hours ago that I was starting this season. Oh well time flies when you are having fun.

Started off by having a complete overhaul of the staff and getting in some people whose opinions I feel that I can trust. I requested a parent club and chose Aberdeen from the choices. They later sent me a great 16 year old on loan that did really well.

I was surprised to see that I could start by scouting UK&Ireland as well as France, Norway, Poland, Spain, Holland and Lithuania. Definitely a nice amount of scouting was done and Spain and Poland both had some talent for me as well as closer to home in Scotland and England.

I brought in a mixed group of experienced players with probably only a season or two left in them and some promising youngsters. Eventually they all meshed and learnt how to play together.

The cups were disappointing but I feel came too early in the season for me. We lost in extra time to Brechin (Div 2) in the Challenge Cup, 4-0 to Hamilton (Div 1) in the league cup and Cowdenbeath 0-1 in the FA Cup.

On the whole I am absolutely delighted with our league form, since we finished higher than I thoguht possible at the start of the season and no matter what happens in the playoffs we have a great base to work on for next season.

We have been paired against Queen's Park in the 2nd Division Relegation Playoff semi final (or our promotion playoff!). Wish us luck!

Gilbster - Good luck, amazing first season there!

ElDani - That's an amazing start tbh. Keep it up, I'm sure Espinho will slump eventually, they all do at some point.

After our legendary 3-2 away win we've had

Home 0-1 loss - Atletico B (pred: 11th)

Away 0-1 loss - Pajara Playas (pred: 14th)

Home 0-0 draw - Real Union (pred: 5th)

Away 1-2 loss - Cultural Leonesa (pred: 8th)

Not looking good after 11 games. We have a 1-2-8 record and I feel like we need to swap out at least 7 players in our first eleven to have any chance of staying up atm. We're "only" 6 points off 15th place though, so a couple of good results is all it takes.

Now I'm going out for a bit, but I should be able to play some more later tonight. Good luck to the rest of you in the meantime :)

Not that difficult; top 4 of each group go to the playoffs. The champions of all four groups go onto playoffs amongst themselves. The two that remain, are promoted, and they play a simbolic final leg to be the champion of the Segunda B. The two teams that lost the playoff, go to the second round of the other playoffs.

- The other 12 teams who ended 2th-4th in their groups play a 12 team playoff. There are six teams after that obviously, who become eight after the losers of the champions' playoff join in. After that, its just playoffs until there are two left, who get promoted.

So:

- The 4 group's champions go to playoff. Winners promoted, losers onto second round of rest of team's playoff.

- Teams placed 2th through 4th in all four groups play each other (first round)--there are six left after that.

- The losers from champions' playoff join in = 8 teams. Second round's playoff = four teams left.

- Playoff finals = two winners get promoted.

And when it comes to switching groups, some teams just do, its a lottery every year even though they do try to take you do a group nearby.

Sin miedo, Algeciras!

- Transfers 10/11 - Link

- Several players who would end up being key throughout the season joined in the summer. Jeff Strasser came as an internationally known player and still being called for international duty (five times during the year) Even though he faded away towards the end of the season, he earned a contract extension. Danilson and Spaniards Liti and Ferran joined in to strengthen the midfield. Thermeus signed during Christmas after four months without a team and injured, but still able to score two goals to give us two consecutive 1-0 wins. Ricardo Silva was the best our scout could find in Portugal, and we paid 7,000E to have him. He ended up relegating Strasser to the bench and giving us even more to hope for next season.

Segunda B - Grupo IV

- After losing four out four preseason games against Badajoz, Mazarron, feeder Xerez and Alaves, we had to wait until week 6 to win a game. That woke us up a bit, but we were well into the relegation spots, and without ideas but the middle of the season.

- Something sparked in the team towards January-Ferbruary, maybe the new signings, but we were able to win two vital games against Ceuta and Murcia, both away. The latter was ain incredible 1-2 win against who would end up winning the league, and in front of over 13,000 spectators.

- The last ten games were a roller coaster, with Algeciras switching places several times within relegation, playoff and salvation. A suffering win against Betis B on a penalty gave us four points ahead of direct relegation with one game to go, and all we had to do was match Sevilla Atletico's result in the last week of the season to stay up. We were visiting Antequera, who needed a win to even dream of relegation playoff, while Sevilla hoest 3rd place Jaen.

- We started with an early lead, with George scoring an amazing goal after dribbling two defenders, and the couple hundred fans who came to see us went nuts. The team then got a bit nervouys, and even though good new from Sevilla came (losing 0-1 ot Jaen), we were a bit shaky seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

- We paid for it. An isolated corner ended with a mistake by our defense, and we got tied, which made the local fans hang for hope. At the same time, Sevilla tied Jaen and just like that, we were one goal away from falling back into the relegation playoffs.

- The second part was a mixture of nervousness, missed opportunities and lots of arguing with the referee. We had two one-on-ones in the last five minutes of the game, one by Jabuti who could not do anything else but put his hands on his head after the clear chance. the game ended with a 1-1 that left Antequera's players laying on the ground and crying, while we ran to one of our coaches, who had a radio and was listening to Sevilla's game.

Sevilla's game

- For whatever reason, and with a bit of luck obviously, we were safe. We suffered lots, but I like to think we also deserved it. The graph shows we had an awful first half, but a pretty decent second one, with away wins that gave us a bit of respect throughout the league.

- Final Table

- Stats

- The goal was decent, with Juanito being the most trusted one, and having quite good games actually. The defense was arguably the best of the team, with Strasser teaching Silva, which made him a better CB. Argentinean Diaz was the best player of the team, also encouraging the rest of the players when a win was needed.

- The midfield was also constant, but we missed player who would create that long pass or dribble in the middle of the field. Even that way, we were strong, lots stronger than I thought we would be.

- Upfront was a mess, to be honest. We tried them all, and all had an input. Thermeus did wonders in his few games, Jabuti did a tenth of what was expected of him, and striker from Gibraltar George was the perfect sub, and our hero in that last game of the season in Antequera to keep our chances of staying up. Chapi was able to net nine goals in the first half, and did not score once more in the second one. Oh well.

Complete stats

- In economical terms, we are bleeding money as expected. We averaged 3,210 fans every Sunday, and in a 9,000 stadium, that means losing money. We also only had 503 season ticket holders, and that's one of the things we will look to better in the future. All and all, this was an exciting, amazing and ultimately rewarding first season at Algeciras.

10/11 - Algeciras CF - Segunda B, Grupo IV - 15th (avoided relegation)

Playoff Semi Final Leg 1 - No mention of an away goals rule in the rules, so lets just hope I can beat them away and beat them well!

Playoff Semi Final Leg 2

Oh well, that wasn't meant to be then. Either way I'm happy with 3rd in the table.

Aims for next season

I reckon mid table to playoffs are a realistic target

Start looking for youngster that can replace my few older players

Don't buy in too many players, so my gelled squad can stay gelled (I hope)

Perhaps win a round in a cup!

Yeah I wasnt expecting to push for promotion at all this season, so I am not as disappointed as I could be. I have managed to get a record high finish for the club I have just been told, so hopefully the board will be very happy and give me some breathing room!

Haha. What are your aims for next season? Mid-table I guess?

Ehm not really. I was able to get a couple of experienced players for next season, but that's all I can get with over 350,000E deficit as for beginning of the summer. Staying clear of relegation is all I could ask for--and I'd be happy to see the season developing that way. I dont even think I'll get to play the Spanish King's Cup at all this year either.

Two thirds of the season played and Casa Pia is currently 10:th. We just cant score. Defence is great though. I think we will be safe from relegation, I just hope I don´t get the sack. The Board wants a top half finish.

Edit: 0-2 against Estrela Amadora. First after 30 seconds. Defence not so great anymore...

Archived