FM10 Small Club to Big Club Big Euro Nation Challenge

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm happy to have a club with some history - I'd hoped for Rot Weiss Essen, but when I saw this lot had come up I was happy enough. 110 years old, one losing Cup Final appearance, a single season in the Bundesliga - gives something to live up to without being a millstone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuttgart_Kickers

My favourite bit from the wiki is "Its members made a deliberate and emphatic choice early on to play football exclusively and to turn their backs on rugby – their chosen sport's close cousin – at a time when both of these new English games were still evolving." :D

The Blue Gods is a fine nickname, as well.

Hopefully I can find a stadium pic somewhere that I can post up.

Heya guys! I'm gonna join this to. Probably not today though, but maybe already tomorrow (or very late tonight if I can). I didn't play the demo at all, so might make a mini save with some big club first to fiddle around and learn the new stuff.

Nice to see Scotland in, not sure where I'll go yet though. Are there any changes to the rules or anything else of any of these nations? Transfer rules, foreign rules, price money, etc? (Would actually be kinda nice to have this in the opening post if time allows you. Just screenshot the rules screen of the top division or something like that).

I've said this many, many times before, but I really will have a crack at this game.

Will probably go to Scotland and follow the LLR route of trying to break the dominance of the old firm. And Scottish Football needs a good headline or two at the moment:D

Good luck everyone!!!

Dave, Roberto & Pluck: Good luck when you guys eventually start its great to have a big crowd heading back, :)

Rlips: Sorry dude I fell asleep haha, I got the game started but no holidaying done yet, going to run it now haha.

Polar Bear: Nice looking stadium you have there. :)

Here is my stadium.

I am rolling the dice to see which nation to play this time round

France - 1

Spain - 2

Italy - 3

Portugal - 4

Germany -5

Other - 6

If 6 I'll roll again for Holland or Scotland

Result : 2 I'm leaving Portugal and moving to sunny Spain !

Can't wait to get home and get started now

Best of luck TanO when you land in Sunny Spain, maybe even get to go out to the Islands, I hear its even better out there.

Rlips: Italy is up to Feb, so be loaded soon. Might run a Portugal one following that. Italy loaded, now starting Portugal. :)

good stuff. should be ready for when i get the game home!! it's in my boot right now!! :D

Well ok, I'll post the same thing I had posted before...

...Anyway, here is Algeciras' stadium, 9,000 capacity and built on 1999 :D

So I sent my scout to Louxemburg to send me some reports (his idea), and he came back with just this one player, a 35 year old center back...I sign him after seeing he's decent, and it turns out the guy is Jeff Strasser, the most capped player for Lux. (95 caps). He is now the key player on my defense, and he's been called for international duty at age 36 practically...and he just scored in the first game of the season, a free kick right on the top corner. Too bad we lost because of a red card on the 14th minute...

My scout didnt work much while over there, but he did get a good one back :D

Nice signing there Twellman, I have my scouts in UK & Ireland, and my other guy is currently investigating Portugal, see what he brings back and go from there. :)

I have made a few signings which I will detail once I upload Portugal save game.

Edit: Also if everyone could rate the thread at the top this would be a great boost for us as well. :)

An influx of quality has shaken things up at the GAZi-Stadion auf der Waldau (hereafter known as the Waldau).

The previous manager had kindly arranged for the arrival of ageing but talented winger Marco Gebhardt and strong striker Mike Tullberg (who swallowed up my transfer budget, but I'm not too fussed).

Not to be outdone I followed up promising reports from my scout in Spain and came back with a new central midfield... Luis Helguera and Vivar Dorado.

I managed to inadvertently upset the latter by saying his signing was "not a coup because this club should be attracting players of his calibre" - apparently this was a negative comment! I have to say that FM is as far away as ever from getting the press stuff right, I suppose it must be very difficult. If they ever manage it they'll have a nigh-on perfect game IMO.

I'm not too perturbed about the increasing number of elders - the first couple of seasons will be about establishing in this league and having some youngsters progress. I'm slightly more bothered that we're already over the wage budget and I still want a couple more. Still, I'm sure success would quiet any concerns :)

Save Games

Scotland - Elgin - Saved 1st June

Holland -

Spain

Portugal - Saved 28th June (Reset 30th)

Italy - Saved 28th June (Reset 30th)

France - Saved 19th June (Reset 20th)

Germany

I have decided to re-post this at the bottom cause it seemed to not want to work where it was, now 4 saved games uploaded, expect the rest in the near future, but I am heading back to Scotland for an Elgin Bash now.

Thanks Uffe, I knew that this was happening in real life, but didn't believe FM had included it. That makes for a nice added surprise to the challenge, and will provide another league with a true small club to big club feel as well.

As for the forums playing up we now only have 4 posts showing in the thread, its getting more baffling by the minute. Hopefully it sorts itself out soon. I have just loaded my Elgin game so will push through to July 1st and update on the transfers and my squad at that point, as I am now 335 pounds over budget I am going to start selling or releasing the players I don't need. I think a squad of 22 + youth is more than enough, but it may end up smaller if some youth can fill spots.

Right a couple of things:

1) FM09 Awards - Just a reminder to everyone that voting is now open for these, just PM your votes to me and I will collate and then report them back in the JoseRR 09 thread, There is still 39 hours remaining to vote. The nominations can be found here.

2) Reset Dates - If anyone finds one of these that is different to the original post, can they please advise us so we can update that.

3) Holland - As Uffe has just mentioned, we have discovered Promotion/Relegation in the Holland leagues, this means that after you holiday a season you can take over one of the newly promoted sides, I will get Iacovone to update this in the original post.

4) Scotland - If anyone holidays a game in Scotland and has someone other than Elgin finish last could they please upload the save and post a link, this would be a great help as will prevent the need for me to holiday multiple times to try and get all ten possible teams.

5) Save Games - Any other holidayed games that I haven't uploaded would be useful as well, and I am sure everyone will appreciate them.

6) New Feature - I must say I was delighted to receive a message to my Inbox titled "New Third Division Season Nearing" which goes on to tell me about who has been relegated into the league, the date new fixtures will be generated (June 20th) and also a bit of other info, a great extra addition.

Well...Very excited I holidayed a season... Only to find out the two teams relegated were not replaced. After one season Jupiler League consists of 18 teams. But the rules says that the team ending last will be relegated. So to be able to play with a promoted team you have to holiday two seasons. At least I found out that the reset date is July 7th...

Okies so Holland would need to holiday to July 6th 2011 to set-up for the club coming up. Thanks for the info Uffe, are you going to holiday through to there to get the new club?

Rancer - I just managed to sign a Canadian fullback into my side. :)

:D

Hopefully the first of many Canadians to sign for you. ;)

Ok the Forum is hating me haha, three times I have posted this and three times it has disappeared...

The Challengers

User        Club          Nation     League

Thistles    US Orleans    France     National
Rancer      Sannois SG    France     National
Polar Bear  Sttugart K    Germany    Third Div
Dave.       Ostuni Sport  Italy      Serie C2C
Rlipscombe  Venezia       Italy      Serie C2A
StellaF1    Pisa          Italy      Serie C2C
TaylorB     Infesta       Portugal   2nd Div N
Saab693     Famalicao     Portugal   2nd Div N
LLR         Elgin City    Scotland   Third Div
Twellman    Algeciras     Spain      2nd Div B

As for signing more Canadians there are no more out there right now, I have the only one haha. With him in the squad though it may generate some more. I have found that if you sign a player from a nation then they seem to generate more commonly haha.

Edit: Thats 10 Challenge takers already, good work guys.

A tough pre-season, with friendlies mainly geared towards bringing cash into the coffers. Heavy defeats at the hands of Kaiserslautern and Frankfurt left me dreading the televised fixture against Chelsea (had my assistant to thank for that one...) but we gave a decent account of ourselves and the only goal came from a freakish rebound that Ballack seized upon.

With four days to go to the first match here's a summary of my dealings so far. All seven are considered certain or likely starters.

Got the game installed now, just sitting here pondering what league to go for. Not sure I wanna do France all over. Might join you in Scotland LLR. I like their passion for the game. I could still be swayed though. How's the rules in Scotland and do every team still play each other 4 (or 3?) times each season in the top there? I'm no big fan of that system tbh.

I saw in some other challenge they allow you to load players from top divisions in big European countries. I assume that's not allowed in this one still? Only "Load all" from the nation you choose right?

Just poking around with my local team Rosenborg atm checking all the new buttons. Gonna take some getting used to. I got a new computer since last time to. Took less than 30 seconds making a game with 1 division and medium database. :D

StellaF1 - Pisa was one of the other Italian teams i was going to be... good luck

Des - seriously unlucky. i bet ut was frustrating.

Ohanzee - will be good to have you back in the thread - good luck wherever you end up.

Polar Bear - at least you seem alright scoring goals. tighten the backline and you'll be away no doubt. how did you get the kits on the match screen by the way?

Futebol+Clube+de+Famalic%C3%A3o.jpg

saab693 in Portugal

Futebol Clube de Famalicao

Gentlemen, after careful consideration, I have decided that my new home for this series shall be right here with you miscreants - in honour of one of our sponsors and his continuously brilliant updates, I have headed to Portugal. Well, that and my desire to find the new Ronaldo. And the fact I can seamlessly add 'inho' onto the end of my own name to make me appear local. It's a genius plan which I really can't see going wrong. Sure, I'm pasty with Boris Johnson styled hair, but I reckon I can pull it off.

Here's a bit of Portugese trivia to get the ball rolling - did you know that Jimmy Nail was once stopped from going on television in Portugal for being too ugly?! I'm sorry but that is fantastic - I know which country is for me

;)

P

rofile

I hope the 'inho' suffix takes off, I really do. Here's the club's domestic league history"]. Is this all looking ok for the challenge?

I look forward to being a part of the extended family. Welcome me to your bosom....

Des Tiny's Elgin Adventure

July 1st Transfer Update

We made a fair bit of action through the month of June, 11 players left, and 13 joined the club. And there is possibly more trades to come as I try and build on the weaknesses shown in our first two friendlies, we defeated our reserves 2-1 (89 & 91), and Colby 2-1 (75 & 94), so late winners in both games, but really just not good enough, our passing was woeful.

The Signings

Danny Casey - A solid 19 year old for the left wing.

Derek Soutar - A 29 year old Keeper

Eddie Forest - A 31 year old Centre back

Emilio Bottiglieri - A 31 year old Canadian Fullback

Fraser Forrest - A 26 year old Centre Back

Gary Bartlett - A 19 year old Right Back

John Dempster - A 28 year old Striker

Jose Antonio Palomino - 36 year old Attacking Midfielder

Yordi - A 35 year old Striker

Stephen McConalogue - A 29 year old Striker

Marco Maisano - A 29 year old Defensive Midfielder

Marc McCallum - A 17 year old Keeper

Liam Kerrigan - A 19 year old Right Wing

So I picked up a fair few old codgers in the transfers, but they were the best out there that I could find, had a terrible time of it. Hopefully they can come together when it counts and I might find something better a bit later. My Starting line-up is a range of ages now - 29, 19, 31, 26, 31, 29, 19, 19, 36, 29, 35. Ok so mainly old codgers with three youth in the line. I am hoping the boys can pull me through. Have two more old codgers that I have offers in for. There is just no one out there who wants to play for the worst team in Scotland haha.

And for Des Tiny's Birthday the club had a visit from the Glen Hoddle Academy and dispatched them 1-0, and the news item actually mentions my birthday. :)

Edit: And it got even better as we followed this up with a 1:1 draw against St. Mirren (SPL), and not only did we get the draw, but according to the news report we completely baffled all the experts by completely outplaying them. My Old Coots Brigade are playing some brilliant football.

Edit pt II: I decided to stop the multiple posts in a row, so here are my transfers since July 1st, yes I made even more of them. The Old Coots Club grew, and now they are dominating our football.

Mark Doyle (MC) - The youngest member of our starting line-up.

Jose Luis Rondo (DR) - The man from Equatorial Guinea is going to be a great hand.

Jamie (MLC) - Jamie will most likely play on the left wing, but may alternate with Palomino

Galder Zubizarreta (DLC) - He may be 30, but he has some great stats.

Antoine Sibierski (AM/FC) - He will join up the front with Yordi as the strike force.

I think I have enough players in the club now, and still below wage budget, though can't make more than half full time, they all want to be part-timers.

Des, i wouldn't worry too much about the Old Coots club, Venezia is looking quite similar at the moment!! i've brought in a 39 year old to play in the centre of the pitch!!

My squad is slowly coming together now. a mix of youth (mainly loans) and experience will pull on our black shirts. there are only a few of the original squad staying on as most not up to it.

Okies, glad to see that I am not the only one struggling to find players under 30, I do have 2 19 year olds in the starting line-up, but most of the younger guys seem unwilling to play in the Third Division.

Good luck over in Italy, we just won our first competitive match 6-5 on penalties after going 2-2 through extra time against Forfar in the Challenge Cup.

I shall be playing in Spain this year :)

So, I download the Spain DDT file, place it in the correct location, make sure the extra file is ticked in preferences, start a new game, load up all the divisions in Spain? Am I allowed to load players from top clubs?

Archived