rancer890

rancer890's FM10 Small Club to Big Club Asian Challenge

663 posts in this topic

How many years does it take to get Aussie citizenship? :D

4 years. Most Aussie teams have had a couple of their foreigners for a few years, so it helps that most are qualified Australians by the time you start the challenge. Now I just need to scout a worthy Asian international to fill the final part of my squad. Preferably a Gk, but Asia isn't exactly renowned for keepers. :(

I fancy a move over to Indonesia...

It's the place to be ;)

I'll hopefully have the game tomorrow, might not be able to get properly started until next weekend though. Indonesia is tempting again, but if Barito Putra aren't available I may have to look elsewhere.

Good luck to everyone attempting this challenge :thup:

It's the place to be ;)

I'll hopefully have the game tomorrow, might not be able to get properly started until next weekend though. Indonesia is tempting again, but if Barito Putra aren't available I may have to look elsewhere.

Good luck to everyone attempting this challenge :thup:

A couple days before FM10 was released, I tried my own challenge in Indonesia, and it was not bad, although my team played crap. At least it was a Professional club with pretty good facilities. :D

I'm simulating in Indonesia and Australia to see my options now...

As you're loading Indonesia, what league are Barito Putra in?

Indonesian First Division. :thup:

If it hasn't change from FM09, you could go for Wellington in the A-League and benefit from Aussies and Kiwis counting as domestic players and a quicker two-year period to get citizenship - that will come in handy for the national side later on. ;)

Indonesian First Division. :thup:

Thanks, guess I won't be taking them to glory as part of this challenge this year.

kabajingai: Good point about the drinking buddy, forgot what nation I was playing in for a minute :) Although that would have been more interesting than the boring director takes over, nothing changes but a name on the screen takeover that did happen...

Al-Tohami 2010-2011 Update

Our first season was a great success. After looking at the initial squad and seeing all of the players on £210 p/a part-time wages, I knew we'd need alot of upgrades, so out went my two scouts to scour Saudi Arabia for free players. Signed a bunch to full-time contracts so they would be able to train more. Managed to bring in exactly 11 first team types, so it was time to come up with a formation.

Looking at who I had signed (the original players were just terrible), I noticed I managed to sign two left backs but no right, and only had 1 striker (my worst signing) and 1 midfielder capable of playing outside the center of the field. So, time for a new (for me) Christmas tree looking formation, with a back four (one of those left backs was awkward on the right, so he would train there all year. Only had a left foot though), 3 MCs, 2 AMCs, and a striker. With a veteran 37 year old keeper, and to very solid DCs, I figured we'd be very tough to score on, but goals would be a problem...

Well, I was half right. Our defense was brilliant, but our offense was decent as well, allowing us to do this in the first season:

League Table:

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/8259/1011table.jpg

On to First Division, this is probably the best first season I've had in the game in a long time. Maybe I was born to manage in Saudi Arabia!

On the strange side, I got several messages during the season that we were expecting a poor turnout of just over 1000 for a game. Odd because we averaged 1303 fans a game, while the next best in the league averaged 431 (glad I picked this team...). According to the weekly news item, the entire league only averaged about 2300 fans total for all division games, so that "poor" turnout was still probably enough to account for close to half the total turnout for the whole league. Wish I could tell my board to count there blessings...

Back later when I finish what's looking like a much tougher year in the First Division.

kabajingai: Good point about the drinking buddy, forgot what nation I was playing in for a minute :) Although that would have been more interesting than the boring director takes over, nothing changes but a name on the screen takeover that did happen...

That could make for some interesting discipline options if one of your players misses training after leaving a nightclub in the early hours.. :D

Congrats on a great first season. Best of luck in the top flight. :thup:

Congrats on the promotion Nightowl ... I'm still struggling to win but my now 6 draws is a New Hokkaido League record most games unbeaten. Really need to sort the tactics out thats now 5 0-0's and a 1-1.

Congratz Nightowl on first season promotion! Big D, he's not in the top flight yet...there's the Saudi Premier Division, Saudi First Division, and Saudi Second Division. :D

At least you haven't lost yet brettney...

Now, meet the new manager of Indonesian club Persma, Ricky Nakano. Founded in 1960, Persma Manado are a Professional football club. The club is valued at US$1.3 million, and they play in the 25,000 (10,000 seated) capacity stadium Klabat. They have fairly basic training facilities, and basic youth facilities and a youth academy.

Good luck rancer :thup:

I remember Persma. Weren't ever any good iirc. Nice stadium size though.

Thanks. I signed out my staff which I'm pretty pleased about. The club is still a bit low on depth so my priority is to find players on a free for each position...

There's a quality central midfielder I want to sign but he's not Indonesian... :(

FM 10

North Queensland Fury FC

2010-2011

Media Prediction - 10th

Table - Graph - Finals Series

We had a really bad start to the season, only managing to get my first league win on our sixth game but after that the wins kept coming. We reached another bad patch towards the end of the season old managing to get draws against the lower sides. Luckily the form returned in time for the finals series, where we won the semi's against Central Coast Mariners from a 1-1 draw over the two legs and beat them again 1-0 in the grand final. A special mention to Ryan Gazet du Chattelier who was my youth team's top scorer. I started him in his first competitive game of the season in the final and he scored the only goal of the game. :D

Finances - Transfers

Well we've obviously got no money at all, so I could only spend up to 5k on new players. I'm pretty happy with most of my signings, including van Buekering, Edgar Davids and Oliver Bozanic who looks like a very good player for the future.

Jhon van Beukering - Easily my best player, my top scorer and the league's second.

Season        League      Position      Finals Series
------------------------------------------------------
2010/2011     A-League       2nd             1st

Going to do this challenge in Japan. Always wanted to manage there but never had the chance to thanks to lisencesing issues.

Something I've been wondering: how do you do that "code" thing which displays your season results etc like in the post above? I feel it could prove quite a handy tool for myself.

Also, just to clarify, I only need to select the one league I want to manage it to download, right?

Nice work STR in your first season. :)

And yes JEinchy, you can download only the Japan link from the OP if you wish. :thup::)

Sorry to keep bothering you with questions, but in the Japanese leagues, am I right in saying that I can start in any of the leagues below the JFL? There's 12 leagues below that one so I am a bit confused.

The leagues below the JFL are the regional leagues. Simulate a year and then start with a newly promoted team in one of the 12 regional leagues. :thup:

Congratulations ShootTheRunner on a great first season. You did slightly better then me. The finances will improve once you start qualifying for the CWC.

Good effort ShootTheRunner. Now lets see how you go in the ACL!

Hopefully you can pick up a quality Asian free-agent for it.

Right guys, thanks for the help.

Now introducing the new manager of Machida Zelvia, in the Kanto League - Jamie Einchcomb

Why are they in the regional leagues? They got promoted into the JFL last season. :confused:

edit: I would really love to play in Japan for this challenge but the problem is that the DB offered is rubbish tbh. Okay if you don't know the J-league but...

After 12 games we have opened up an 8 point lead at the top of the table. It is looking like we should be able to win the A-League this season.

FM 10

Brisbane Roar FC

2010-2011

Media Prediction - 10th

Table - Graph - Finals Series

A mediocre season really. There was an odd glimmer of hope here and there, but we could never really get momentum. Every match was destined to be a cracker, with many 4+ goal games. Sadly clean sheets were hard to come by. Part of the poor form is due to my decision to play a 16 year old at right back for 75% of the season, and two 19 year olds in midfield. One of them was the runner-up young player of the year, so there are some signs of promise. Hopefully next season is an improvement :(. Central Coast were unstoppable this year, and qualified for the ACL along with Adelaide. I hope they both make it through to the knock-outs so that it interferes with their next season. ;)

Finances - Transfers

I bought a few nice players, but they weren't as brilliant as their reputation would suggest. Vieri scored here and there, but was too unfit to get any momentum, and fell out of favor with me a few times. Chipperfield did his job, but wasn't as outstanding as I would have hoped. With him and Moore in the back-line with my amazing new Brazilian keeper, I thought I'd be set. I guess I'll have to give it another season and sure up my defense a little bit more. Money is still a problem though, which is always the case in the A-league.

Sergio Van Dijk - Easily my best player. Always around the goals, either setting them up or kicking them in. Always exciting when he is on the ball.

Season        League      Position      Finals Series
------------------------------------------------------
2010/2011     A-League       5th             5th

kabajingai: I don't fancy the J-League db either...but it's the first year with the competition editor, and I'm sure there will be more users making the J-League db better.

machinegunhead: good first year. Hope you can build on it next year. :thup:

Say hello, to new manager of Dalian Yiteng. :)

I feel a bit more confident about this job. The squad is a lot better and overall the setup just feels a little different. Seems a lot more professional to me. My squad is pretty decent and I've just added to it by removing the deadwood and adding some experience and two loan signings from my feeder club (Dalian Shide)

The club boasts a tiny little 3000 seater dilapidated stadium which is rented off the local teaching training college but on the plus side has a great little youth academy which has already churned out a decent little centre-back. :thup:

Club profile

Wish me luck! :cool:

Daiko Grim Reapers - Season 2010 - Japanese regional Hokkaido League.

Well the strange drawing run continued until the very last game of the season where we managed a 1-0 win over the bottom club to stay up (they did have 8 first teamers missing which probably helped) we could win in the cups going further than the board had expected us to go (ok so it took extra time twice but still ...).

Final Table.

Squad Stats - Finances.

After a full season of the Chairman nogotiating with different partys we finally have new owners.

Season        League      Position       Cup runs
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010     Hokkaido League     4th    Emperor's Cup 2nd rd/All-Japan Cup 2nd rd.

Good luck kabajingai with Yiteng. They're not Guangdong Sunray Cave:D, but they're a solid team. :thup:

Nice first year in Japan brettney, you didn't even lose a game in your first season. :D

Christ, talk about a brash debut...

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/3561/firstmatch.jpg

First league match. Defensive blunders and a complete shambles in team organisation. Took me ages to sort it out. Tbf, Donga seem to have one of the better squads in the league. Didn't help that I gave away penalty, played a shoddy offside trap and then gifted them an OG. :(

It's just as well about Zelvia... they're predicted to come first but their squad is absolutely awful. Every player barring one or two are rated as half a star! Might need to chose a different club here...

Welcome back blowcrapup!! :D

Looking forward to your participation in Japan. :thup:

How are you doing in Japan JEinchy atm?

I didn't have time last night to get stuck into it, but I have looked at the squad and well, it's awful I have to say. Boared expects me to win the Kanto Regional league with these players, although they have given me £150K to spend so it looks like I'll have to make use of that. I'm still trying to get used to how the league system in Japan works.

I glanced at my fixtures and thought it was odd how I would play 5 or so friendlies going through the rest of January... yet my first league game wasn't until April! I don't if that's an error or something is going on in that three month gap.

After a restart because I forgot to load all players from Japan I have now taken control of Fuji 2003. If I had had a free choice I would have been FC Korea which seemed to be made up of North Korean exiles.

Fuji Profile

For some odd reason I have a wage budget of 15 million Yen with a current budget of 1.1 mil. I also can't view the staff section of the club but that may be because I have no staff. Are any of the clubs at the other new countries missing their info pages/history etc.?

Most Japan clubs don't have club information pages...but you should view the staff at least.

Good luck blowcrapup. :thup:

It still won't let me look at the staff screen after hiring people.

Nice to see some early success and quite a bit of draws there in japan (no loss though \o/)

On to other matters, Rancer890, I'm not sure if Northern Mariana Islands should be included as currently in real life they are not official AFC members and due to that reason i think they can not have any represenatives in any of AFC's competitions so it would be kinda futile to play them and if they are able to play in any continental competition in that file then i think it would be too unrealistic to include in the challenge.

Want to start this, as im sick of reloading all the time for dafuges :p i only want Whitby or Durham if im to try it.

Would start with Japan but like a few others said, its not so great, so i think i might try Hong Kong, as i had a decent career going there before.

Will post in a bit when ive finished holidaying, and chosen a team.

I couldnt see any teams that got promoted into the HK leagues :S so im going to try China instead

:( looks like no teams from Chinese division two get relegated, i was using a created one, looks like ill have to load just the top two divisions

sorry for a 3rd post in a row, but i kind of want an answer quickly :p so im not just sat waiting.

there are two new teams in the division, Tianjin Locomotive, and Dalian Yiteng, the only thing is, they have been previously been in the division, but years ago.

Can i take over one of those teams or not?

Al-Tohami 2011-2012 Update

Season two was much more difficult... I again signed several free players, since most of my buys from last season weren't good enough for this level. I did have a £5000 transfer budget, which I never used. Also, my youth setup produced a quick striker described as "one of the best to come through our system". Promising, but I doubt it means much with a youth system like ours. He scored on his debut in the opening game, but didn't do much of note for the rest of the season.

I added to my solid keeper and DCs with some new signings at fullback, hoping to again have a solid defense. With a few solid buys at striker and right mid, I changed my formation to a 4-4-2, even though I had to play a right midfielder on the left all season. Still, it was time for the Christmas tree to go, as the AMs I used last season were not nearly good enough for this level.

So, how did it go?

League Table

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/5866/1112table.jpg

My defense was solid again (second fewest goals against in the league), but my offense was terrible, only better than one team. I really need to find a real striker before next season. Worse, my keeper showed serious signs of decline as the season wore on, and abruptly retired at the end of the season, so he needs replacing as well. And teams are starting to sniff around my best DC and MR, hopefully none is serious enough to tempt them away...

A few milestones as well. I signed my first foreign player (a backup DC from U.A.E.), and had my first international call up (U19s, but still...) this season. Also, the team reached the quarter finals of the Saudi Crown Prince cup, knocking out a Premier League team in the previous round, only to lose to a team below us in the First Division standings.

Hopefully I can keep the team together, and maybe receive some funds to buy a real player or two. We'll see in the next update.

Season......Division...Position...S.C.P. Cup
2010-2011   Second     1st        1st round
2011-2012   First      9th        Quarter Final

(For reference, the Saudi Crown Prince Cup goes 1st Qualifying Round, 2nd QR, 1st Round, Quarter Final, etc.)

Okay Sazchu. Don't choose Northern Mariana anyone... :p

Yes Charlesbeams, you can take over either Chinese team. :thup:

Good luck kabajingai! I think I played in China in a previous version, I seem to recall a rule that required you to have a Chinese keeper. Am I remembering the right league? You'd think that would really drive up the price of decent Chinese keepers...

Good job brettney1980, MachinegunHead, & ShootTheRunner! For the Australian league players, since you play an odd-number of games, do some teams play more home games and some more away? I'm curious how they work that out.

I Decided to go with Tianjin Locomotive, and Dalian were in this division only two years ago, so it seemed the better thing to do.

Manager Profile

Good luck with Locomotive Charlesbeams. Locomotive are a decent club, well decent in FM08 and FM09. :D

Japan is a bit to buggy. I can't look at my staff or a lot of other stuff. I might venture somewhere else.

The U.A.E. and Kuwait don't have relegation from the 2nd division.

Nice work Nightowl. Just keep getting better, and hope you get promoted soon. :thup:

blowcrapup: I plan on asking some people about Japan and how to get club information and staff...if you decide to try out UAE, simulate a year and start with the worst club. :thup: