rancer890's FM10 Small Club to Big Club Asian Challenge

My first major international tournament on any Football Manager game has ended at the quarters finals as we (Australia) went out on penalties to Iran. We topped the group easily, although this was mainly due to the fact that every game between the other teams in my group ended as a draw. We took the lead in the quarter final after missing an early penalty but they scored back straight after half time. We couldn't get another goal and missed 2 in the shoot out to go out of the tournament. While we didn't meet the FA's expectations we did better than I thought as up until the first group game I hadn't won a single game with Australia in over a year since taking the job.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The finalists from the Asian Confederations Cup enter the qualifying stages of the Champions League the next year. However, if even if you win the ACL, you can't enter next year because the two finalists from the Confederations Cup will replace your club...

Good luck in Jordan CedricRules. :thup::)

So I need to win the ACL in a year that qualifies me for the Club World Cup or start again with a nation that qualifies automatically? I guess that's not really a direct question, more me clarifying how it appears.

I'm quite keen to try out one of these challenges, but I'm always in two minds because I play slowly and want at least a chance to get somewhere. Maybe I'll look at trying with one of the bigger nations who qualify directly for the ACL. I'd have to get my qualification year spot on with Vietnam or play for many seasons...that's something that may not happen.

So I need to win the ACL in a year that qualifies me for the Club World Cup or start again with a nation that qualifies automatically? I guess that's not really a direct question, more me clarifying how it appears.

I'm quite keen to try out one of these challenges, but I'm always in two minds because I play slowly and want at least a chance to get somewhere. Maybe I'll look at trying with one of the bigger nations who qualify directly for the ACL. I'd have to get my qualification year spot on with Vietnam or play for many seasons...that's something that may not happen.

Yes you would have to win them in the same season. It kind of harm long term Asian games for those clubs not in the ACL since IRL there's an assessment ranking which determines clubs can participate in the ACL. The formula is more complex than the European coefficients though.

Hope you can win more games with Australia in the future Ethan. :thup:

And tough luck brettney, I'm not too keen on keeping an international GK (well I did have one with Persma, but I couldn't find any other decent GK out there), and hope you retain the title again next year.

Alright - it's about time for me to get my attempt at this challenge going on FM10, to run alongside my French game. I enjoyed the FM09 version in South Korea a lot, but I just don't think I could manage anyone other than the great Cheonan City, and it's a lot of hassle reloading until they come bottom of the league - so I think this time I'm going to try one of the new leagues. I don't think there have been too many attempts in the United Arab Emirates yet, so that's where I'm headed.

There doesn't seem to be relegation in the Emirati First Division, so I'll be taking over Al-Hamra who came bottom of the second tier of UAE football last season. Here's my manager profile.:thup:

Club World Cup 2019 Review

Second Round

We were drawn against Al-Ahly from Egypt and I knew this wouldn't be an easy match like some second round matches can be. The game didn't start well as we conceded early but managed to get one back just before half time. We sealed the match with a penalty in the 72nd minute to put us into the Semi Final.

Semi Final

The European team that had qualified this year was Werder Bremen of Germany. I knew this was slightly easier than the other teams I had faced but still didn't give myself much chance. The first 35 minutes were perfect as we scored in the 28th minute and then scored from a penalty just 5 minutes later. When they got one back in the 49th minute I was worried but another for us in the 82nd sealed a huge win for the club.

Final

America from Mexico would be the team we would face in our first ever Club World Cup final and only they stood in the way of me completing the club side of the challenge. They got off to a good start with an early goal and we just couldn't get one back. In the 71st minute Danning headed home from close range to bring it back to 1-1. With the match looking like it would be going to penalties a poor free kick in the 93rd minute took a huge deflection from the America player and went it. This meant that Adelaide United were the Club World Cup champions.

This means I have now completed the club side of the challenge. Considering I have the Australia job I will be continuing and trying to complete the international side of the challenge.

Adelaide United - Hyundai A-League- 2019/2020 (Season 10)- Ethan13

With only the CWC needed to complete the challenge that was our main aim this season.

A-League (Regular Season)----League Table----Graph

Another dominant season in the league as we made it

A-League Finals Series- One goal was enough to seal the final.

Asian Champions League- We won our 3rd ACL and made it back to back titles. The closest game was the Semi Final as it took extra time to settle it.

Club World Cup- Link to Review

Finances- Very good due to the CWC win.

Transfers- Again not to many changes to the squad

Squad

Key Player- Kofi Danning- Another great year with 39 goals and 19 assists.

Fixtures Part 1 Part 2

Aims from Last Season

- Win ACL ACHIEVED

- Win Club World Cup ACHIEVED

Aims for Next Season

- Bring more youth players through

Domestic:

Season    League    Position    Final Series  ACL                    CWC    
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11   A-League  3rd         3rd           N/A                    N/A       
2011/12   A-League  1st         1st           N/A                    N/A
2012/13   A-League  2nd         1st           N/A                    N/A
2013/14   A-League  1st         1st           Lost in Quarter Final  N/A
2014/15   A-League  1st         1st           Lost in Semi Final     N/A
2015/16   A-League  1st         1st           Runner's Up            N/A
2016/17   A-League  1st         2nd           Winners                4th
2017/18   A-League  1st         1st           Lost in Quarter Final  N/A
2018/19   A-League  1st         1st           Winners                4th
2019/20   A-League  1st         1st           Winners                Winners
**************************Club Challenge Completed**************************

Quick question before i decide to join this challenge. Do i need to tick the box wich says " Add key staff " ? Second question is " Do i need to download and install the leagues provided in the link , even so if i decide to play a team from the vanilla version ?

Thx

Quick question before i decide to join this challenge. Do i need to tick the box wich says " Add key staff " ? Second question is " Do i need to download and install the leagues provided in the link , even so if i decide to play a team from the vanilla version ?

Thx

It's your choice to 'add key staff', although I would recommend that you do decide to add key staff. :thup:

You can play with the leagues provided in the link or start straight out of the box, but you need to state at the beginning whether you are using the XML files or just starting with the default leagues in the game.

Adelaide United - Hyundai A-League- 2020/2021 (Season 11)- Ethan13

After completing the challenge last season there was no real goals as such this year but just look to continue our dominance of Australian football.

Our best season yet as we finished with a record points and goals total and was top for the whole season.

A-League Finals Series- After losing in the Major Semi Final we faced Melbourne who we beat easily. In the grand final we were missing heaps of players as it clashed with an international match. We went down 2-0 but 3 goals in the last 15 minutes sealed an amazing comeback.

Asian Champions League- Very poor as we lost 3-1 at home to send us out of the competition.

Finances- Good due to player sales.

Transfers- Not to many changes although we received a nice transfer fee for our goalkeeper.

Squad

Key Player- Eneko Sesma- Great season with 38 goals and 12 assists.

Fixtures Part 1 Part 2

Aims from Last Season

- Bring more youth players through ACHIEVED

Aims for Next Season

- Win Back ACL

Domestic:

2020/21   A-League  1st         1st           Lost in Quarter Final  N/A

Perseden Denpasar - Indonesian First Division - 2010/11

Prediction: 5th

Final position: 4th

Indonesian Cup: 1st round

Top-scorer: Frandiansyah - 4 goals

Player of the year: Agung Surkiman - looks good at central defence, but I use him as a block in a flat back four.

I've decided to take up the challenge in Indonesia. Something of a sleeping giant really. A nation of 120 million and some untapped resources. Anyways after a year of holidaying I decided to take up the reigns of Perseden Denpasar on the beautiful island of Bali. A 15,000 seater stadium no real facilities but the dreams of a few thousands fans.

At first I had zero playing staff so decided to bring in as much as possible. Some were hits, some were misses and about half would form the core of my team for next season with the rest being shipped out on frees. I spent pretty much nothing and used some loan signings and my eagle eye for spotting talent to bring a team that I could at least make competitive in this division.

And what a division it is. The league is very short and very bizarre, meaning that you start in August and end in January to avoid the nasty rainy seasons in South East Asia. Only two go up out of three divisions who then go into a little league to determine the overall First Division champions. The leagues seems to go in a flash.

The board were happy with a mid table finish, so I was aiming at around 6th and higher.

Anyhoo, I plumped for a more defensive approach grinding out some 1-0's and 2-1's here and there but sadly drawing a hell of a lot of matches. I went 14 games unbeaten and my only major defeat in the course of the season saw me ship 3 goals for the only time throughout the campaign such was my defensive minded tactics. Oddly the game came about due to a goalie mess up and coupled with my other defeat whereby I went all out for a hopeful win on the last game of the season, it was a season in which I felt we never really truly lost a game.

Tactics wise I decided to play it nice and simple and play to the strengths of Indonesia; meaning pint-sized players and baking hot weather. Hence it was out with the rather British Sunday park stuff of long-ball and constant pressing to a more relaxed short passing

game, keeping it simple and no funny stuff. Throughout the season I mixed around with a flat 4-4-2 and a diamond 4-4-2.

To cut the story of my season short, it was a little bit too defensive for my players. Too many draws cost me and what had seen an incredibly tight league, in which about 6 teams had the chance to go up. I was in the chance on the last day but needed results to go my way. I went all out after being held 0-0 but suffered a cruel 94 minute winner to dash my hopes. In the end it was all academic as even had I won I would still have missed out.

The cup was an absolute disaster. Although its played over two legs, I just couldn't seem to grasp my home form in this thing (more on this later.) Playing an amateur side from the second division, I drew the first leg after a dismal performance and then followed that with a 3-0 defeat. Ugh. For some reason this is a really hard competition to do well in right now.

The finances are looking good, despite being in the first division I am getting an average attendance of around 7000 and am well within my budgets. The board happy with the modest finish of 4th in the my first season, offered me a new 3 year contract. :cool:

Next season I am hoping for more of the same. Some small rebuilding and hoping to build upon my finish. I am still optimistic but I might need a bit of luck to sneak into the top for next season. So far I have grabbed some tasty looking young freebies meaning my squad is looking very young indeed.

Adelaide United - Hyundai A-League- 2021/2022 (Season 12)- Ethan13

We were looking to regain the ACL title this season.

For the first time ever we were undefeated throughout the whole season and we picked up a record points total.

A-League Finals Series- Pretty straight forward and our 10th finals series win.

Asian Champions League- Made the semi finals but after a disappointing 0-0 draw at home we lost 2-1 away to be eliminated from the tournament.

Finances- Despite having to pay over 400K a month towards our new stadium the finances stayed steady due to the board providing a few cash injections.

Transfers- Struggling to find good players to bring in.

Squad

Key Player- Mark Hayes- Scored an impressive 37 goals and is in good form going into the World Cup.

Fixtures Part 1 Part 2

Aims from Last Season

- Win Back ACL FAILED

Aims for Next Season

- Win Back ACL

Domestic:

2020/21   A-League  1st         1st           Lost in Quarter Final  N/A
2021/22   A-League  1st         1st           Lost in Semi Final     N/A

World Cup 2022 Review

Group Stage

Australia vs. Morocco (18th)

The Match---Player Ratings

Our first match was against the 18th ranked tea, Morocco. We started well and we were on top but they got a goal which got them into the game. The match seemed to follow a similar pattern but we just couldn't create a chance until an injury time penalty equalled the game and secured a well deserved draw.

Australia vs. Colombia (6th)

A tough game was next as we took on 6th ranked Colombia. Similar to the last game but we managed to get a goal within the opening 3 minutes. As the game went all we looked like we would hold on until they got a penalty in the 89th minute. Velaphi pulled off a great double save to make sure we picked up our first win.

Australia vs. Poland (14th)

Going into this match we knew that we were 3 points clear and also ahead on goal difference to 3rd placed Morocco so a draw would be enough. They scored in the 24th minute but a wonder strike from substitute Dale Currie (Came through the youth academy at Adelaide United) equalled the game. They scored straight back and went onto win 2-1 but thanks to Morocco only being able to win 2-1 we were through to the second round.

Group Standings

Second Round- Australia vs. Russia

We faced a tough second round match against Russia and in the end we just weren't quite good enough as we went down 2-0. We were at 1-0 down for most of the match and they only got their second goal in stoppage time when we were going forward and looking for the equaliser.

Gonna give this a try in the UAE, doesn't say in the OP what the reset date is, anyone know?

roberto \o/ :D

As for the reset date it should probably be in mid to late June like the European leagues (since the season usually ends in late May).

And good going Ethan in the World Cup. Best of luck in 2026 and the other AFC competitions. :thup:

Guest roberto922

20th July

A load of loans coming in, side is massively improved, 5 stars all over now apart from right back and goalkeeper, three Liverpool kids are particularly good for this level

• 3 weeks later...

Hassan Abyan

Season 1

Yemeni First Division 2010/11

287jl87.gif

Finally return to Asia and the lucky club who got me where Yemeni side Hassan Abyan who were predicted 12th place of 14 with bottom 4 being relegated.

League - Final League Table

We started the league with a good string of results and in our first 13 games we only had 3 losses and sat in a mid-table position, the further the season went on the more obvious it became that mid-table was to become our plce that season which gave us a safe year far from the relegation battles.

The league ended with us grabbing 6th place with a better goal difference than the team in 7th.

Cups

In the Esteghlal Cup we lost out on penalties in the first round after a 1:1 score to Al-Shabab Baydaa.

A similar story was to be said in the Unity cup where we lost out 0:2 to eventual runner-ups Al-Hilal Hudayda.

The last cup of the season, President Cup, saw us crawl through the first round with a 2:1 aggregate win over Al-Wahda Sana'a

before meeting Al-Tilal in the quarter final where we drew 0:0 away and lost 1:3 at home, Al-Tilal ended up taking the title.

Season         League               Final Position       Esteghlal Cup     Unity cup       President cup         
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11   Yemeni First Division       6th               1st Round         1st Round        Quarter Final             
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hassan Abyan

Season 2

Yemeni First Division 2011/12

287jl87.gif

Season two, our good form in the first season saw us being predicted a 9th place finish.

League - Final League Table

We started the league with some good results though mostly draws and it took us 11 games to lose our first game in the league, to Al-Tilal,

that would end up being our only loss in the league this season as the defence was amazing letting in only 8 goals in the 26 league games, Al-Tilal were too strong though and we had to settle for 2nd place which we gladly accepted having only been aiming for 4th to 6th place.

Cups

We reached the Semi-Final of the Esteghlal Cup being beaten 0:1 by Al-Shoala Aden.

A fantastic run in the Unity cup saw us take it all the way and returning home with a trophy after beating Al-Tilal in the final game,

thanks to an early goal by Adel Abdullah Al-Salemi who was having a fantastic season.

Next up was President Cup, or as i called it, Useless cup #3, we got to the Quarter Final again but were beaten 2:4 on aggregate by Al-Ahli Sana'a.

Season        League                   Final Position       Esteghlal Cup      Unity cup       President cup         
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11   Yemeni First Division          6th                1st Round         1st Round        Quarter Final           
2011/12   Yemeni First Division          2nd               Semi Final           Winners          Quarter Final            
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've taken a break in Yemen, few things with the data that are not sitting all too well with me (always same season ticket sale and other small things, I'll be heading to Hong Kong with an un-edited 1.0.2 database

Welcome back VVV! Nice to see you back. Are you planning to start in India again?

Tough to hear Sazchu, but good luck in HK!

There haven't been much activity here, but nice to at least see you two still trying to complete my challenge. :):thup:

My first ever club to manage in Australia, let's see how it goes.

10z3f2f.gif

.. urk, just noticed.. I'm appearantly not allowed to sign players from the A-League, no God for me :( this makes it even more interesting.

ok, seems it changed 1st of july.. \o/

End of Pre-Season

Low key really, made 2 quiet signings, can't really afford anyone.

Results

North Star 0-3 Brisbane

Brisbane 0-1 Melbourne

Bris City 1-0 Brisbane

Ipswich Knights 1-1 Brisbane

QAS 0-4 Brisbane

SuperSport Utd 0-7 Brisbane

Brisbane Roar Youth 0-2 Brisbane

Targets

-Come 7th at least

-Sign a player I've heard of

End of Season Report

An incredible season, with incredible results, and I believe the first part of the challenge is complete!

League

Started off okay, Central Coast and Adelaide were the main contenders, but it turned out Matt Simon was amazing, top scorer in the league, well supported by a youngster - Mitch Nicholls, who's coming on very very well! My target was to finish 7th at least, so I'm happy with that, also won the final series as well, completed the double.

2009/10 - Hyundai A-League - 1st

New Season Signings

Looked in the Australian National Team and found a few free agents, so I snapped them all up here.

10z3f2f.gif

Adelaide United FC

Hyundai A-League - Season 1 - 2010/11

League Final League Table

Throughout the whole season we manged to keep a decent run being in 1st to 2nd place most the season, in the later part of the season we started to play a little bit worse though and in the end we had to settled for 3rd place though only on worse goal difference than second place Central Coast Mariners.

Final Series

We played North Queensland Fury in the Final Series Minor Semi-Final and in a game where neither team showed much skill of hitting the goal we got through with a 1-0 victory.

In the Minor Final we met Gold Coast United, the game was a close game though Gold Coast did a bit better at using their chances which resulted in a 1-2 loss and therefore ending our season without a trophy.

Awards

Fan's Player of the Year - Matt Simon

A-League Golden Boot - Matt Simon

Hyundai A-League  |  2010/11  |  3rd  |

10z3f2f.gif

Adelaide United FC

Hyundai A-League - Season 2 - 2011/12

We started the season with some bad results and after 11 games we were bottom of the league though that position could have looked like an illusion to the extremely close point difference in the lower part of the league which meant that only in the last game it was clear what team would get the last final series spot as five teams had a chance of taking that spot in the last round, unfortunately it was not us that grabbed the last spot and we ended up in 9th place.

Final Series

Due to our poor finishing in the league we did not reach the Final Series and hence our season was over early.

Transfers Transfer History

We only got two players into the team the first being an Australian who had 5 caps for the team, Neil Kilkenny who signed on after his Leeds contract had expired, the second signing of the season came with just a handful of games left in the season and he therefore did not play any games, that was Manouchehr Ashouri, an Iranian U21 player.

Awards

Fan's Player of the Year - Alemao

Hyundai A-League  |  2011/12  |  9th  |

Haven't been able to post as my internet broke 3 weeks ago! Basically, I've won the league 5 seasons running, won the Champions League in the second season, came 4th in the Club World Cup in the same year, and signed Tim Cahill, I'll do a season report for my most recent season soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna give this thing a bump with a massive post about every season I've played so far! Let's get the interest back in this challenge, it's great fun!

First Season

Righty, started as Brisbane Roar, and I think I got quite lucky, signed a free agent, unknown to me, called Matt Simon who I didn't think was that good, but turned out he scored loads! Made these signings as well, Bridges was fairly good, Coyne and McFlynn became first team regulars. Simon fired me to the league title first season, scoring a fair few!

Final Table

Season Summary

END OF FIRST SEASON - 1ST

Third Season - 2012/13

Won the league AGAIN! This time it was a bit more difficult, was 7th after 6 games, but then won the rest of the season! Made a load of signings most notably Alipio on a free from Real Madrid, Cristiano, who just left Adelaide, and Kristian Monterosso, scouts reckon he may be pretty decent in the future - and boy, how they were right! More on him later!

Final Table

Season Summary

ALSO big news - this was the year I won the Champions League - beating Pavel Pogrebnyak's new side Al-Ittihad. I don't have a screenie for that, so you'll have to settle for my word.

END OF THIRD SEASON - 1ST (Champions League Winners)

• 3 weeks later...

I really want to have a go at this at some point. I'll probably go for India and play alongside my current saves.

I've already been on holiday in India and decided to start with Vasco Sports Club. They are a Goan team with links to the Brazilian club.

I've fond memories of playing in India in the past on FM08. I'd really like to try to develop Indian football and have a long-term game there.

Once I get started, I'll be sure to post here, although it might be a while as I am playing with my Saints save at the moment and I have also promised myself a quick season back on my Italian save soon. :rolleyes:

So many saves, so little time. :(

10z3f2f.gif

Adelaide United FC

Hyundai A-League - Season 3 - 2012/13

We were relatively consistent throughout the season and when we lost games it were close games where we lost with only one goal, all the players stayed in good form throughout the season to bring home the first league title since 2006, we'll be in the champions league next season.

Champions!!

Final Series

Due to winning the league we went straight to the Major Semi Final where we met Central Coast Mariners, after two goalless games it was decided on penalties with Central Coast Mariners taking the win and forcing us to play in the Preliminary Finals where we beat North Queensland Fury 1-0 which would see us meet Central Coast Mariners again, we went into the game hoping for another title but that dream did not come true as Central Coast Mariners ran out 2-0 winners.

Transfers (no screenshot for this season)

We signed two players, first one was Iranian central defender, Sheis Rezaei for 1.5m pounds, might have been one of the worst transfers in Adelaide United history.

The second player was Australian goalkeeper Tando Velaphi that came on free from Perth Glory.

Awards

A-League Foreign Player of the year - Cristiano

A-League Golden Boot 2nd place - Cristiano

Asian All-Star XI - Neil Kilkenny, Cristiano, Steven Reid, Matt Simon.

A-League Manager of the Year - Sazchu

Hyundai A-League  |  2011/12  |  9th  |
Hyundai A-League  |  2012/13  |  1st  |

Good luck in Australia Liverbird93, India crouchaldinho and in Maldives SunDevil.

Well done winning the league and the champions league VVV, now all that is left is the club world championship and you can start making Australia a true force to be feared on the international stage.

Archived