Top2Bottom: The Game Thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evening folks. To say I'm in the middle of a hectic time would be an understatement - if you know school teachers, you'll know the word OFSTED. It's been the main word for me this week ...

Will need time away from computer this weekend (seem surgically attached unless I'm sleeping/teaching at moment) so don't bet on an update. I need to recharge some batteries! Thanks in advance for the patience, I haven't forgotten FMX-Factor/Top to Bottom - just have more pressing concerns. They will go away tomorrow!

Cheers again, Andy.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, I am back. Sorry for the delay.

I need to make this a little less intense to write up. It’s too much and I started to lose interest early – although illness and other things have also got in the way.

I have decided to holiday through to December. Then I will post an update – a summary using screenshots a little more. From there, I will write some summarising team reports about how the season has gone so far and go again from January. The last half of the season will be much more interesting so more interesting to write as well.

See how it goes. It would be a shame for me to forget it as it took a lot of setting up.

GCB / Andy

Right, I am back. Sorry for the delay.

I need to make this a little less intense to write up. It’s too much and I started to lose interest early – although illness and other things have also got in the way.

I have decided to holiday through to December. Then I will post an update – a summary using screenshots a little more. From there, I will write some summarising team reports about how the season has gone so far and go again from January. The last half of the season will be much more interesting so more interesting to write as well.

See how it goes. It would be a shame for me to forget it as it took a lot of setting up.

GCB / Andy

Alright my good man, can't wait to see how it plays out!

The end of December update will take a while (three months to fit in) so be prepared for it to come by the end of the week.

Interesting on the 31st December to see who is top, who is heading down, whose manager has been sacked and the massive amounts of transfers that could start to happen now that the top free agents have been snapped up.

The big question is if the Championship clubs can survive the transfer window. The two out of the five that fail this season might struggle after that to get out of the division.

That's enough hints.

Oh well, one more. Wednesday are bottom of the Premiership. And haven't won since that one early win. :rolleyes:

Same on the raiding. Although since I think we've recruited rather well on our extras I think we'll manage to hold onto some of the lesser players...

EDIT: Just noticed the League Cup result...I'm more worried by Boreham tbh as I know my CBs aren't really up to scratch (read: Scharner and Cahill)

ToptoBottomLogo.gif

MID-SEASON REPORT: December 31st

NewBloc.png

New Bloc – under the guidance of manager Danilo Uljarevic – lead the Premiership table at the halfway point and look set to make a serious title challenge as they sit a staggering 7 POINTS CLEAR of the second placed team. A 3-0 thumping of London at home was a major highlight as they pulled away at the top but a 4-0 pasting at Discworld showed that they can be breached when not at their best. However, with just two defeats all season and the best defensive record in the league (just 11 conceded), New Bloc are in with a great chance of silverware thanks to the goals of Jermain Defoe who has ten goals in fourteen games, goalkeeper Doni who has been ever present and the defensive performance of Rio Ferdinand (7.26). However, there could be problems ahead for New Bloc. The January transfer window could see several stars look to join bigger clubs as the underachievers prepare for bids. Jonny Evans (Tibbolini, Blackthorn Athletic and Coedpoeth United), Daniel Agger (Didsbury, Isle of Man, Tibbolini, Queensland and Inland Valley Hawks) and Walter Samuel (Didsbury) could probably be allowed to leave after not making many appearances but Javier Mascherano (Essendon, Isle of Man, Tibbolini) and Eric Abidal (Didsbury and Blackthorn) would be massive losses as they are key men. Can New Bloc sustain their fantastic start and secure the title?

LondonTitans.png

Manager Bob McBob’s London Titans sit in second place separated from third place by goal difference after just three defeats so far in the Premier League. However, they face a seven point gap if they are to mount a title challenge to New Bloc in the coming months. The goals of Diego Forlan (12 in 24 appearances) and his excellent performances (7.28) have been a major factor in their rise to the upper echelons of the table. 24 appearances from Wes Brown show how important the defender is to the Titans as well. A 6-0 win away at Blackthorn was the highlight of the season so far but a 3-0 defeat at New Bloc saw the gap at the top grow and it may make their task much more difficult. There are no signs of major changes coming in January but we will see what happens.

CoedpoethUnited.png

The top three is completed by Coedpoeth United who have the same record as London Titans but have conceded one more goal to leave Robert Jones’ men third. They are three points clear of the 5th placed team making them secure in the Champions League spots at this stage of the season. Roque Santa Cruz has been the Coedpoeth star so far firing 11 goals in 18 appearances and achieving a rating of 7.34 as United rise to the top end of the league but find themselves 7 points off the leaders. A 6-1 home win over Blackthorn was the best of several thumping good wins but a 1-0 defeat at home to London Titans was a disappointment as they could have gone clear in second place. There are no rumours of moves away from Coedpoeth for their stars so don’t rule out a title challenge in the second half of the season.

ToptoBottomLogo.gif

InlandValleyHawks.png

Inland Valley Hawks are one of the surprise packages of the season so far as they sit in the Champions League spots despite a relegation fight being predicted at the start of the season. Manager Henry Bosschaart has the Hawks a point clear of 5th place although they have a game in hand and could go above them. The Hawks score goals for fun with Karim Benzema (17 in 20) and Luca Modric (9 in 19) making them the second most prolific in the league – however a leaky defence that has conceded 31 goals holds them back. If they can sort the defence in the transfer window, a title challenge is not out of the question. A 4-0 win over reigning champions (Queensland, were Manchester United) showed their potential but a 4-3 defeat at rivals Northern Extreme really showed their problems in one game. Only Dean Kiely looks set to leave in January (Plymouth and QPR interested) so a couple of good additions could mean that they continue to surprise. James Vaughan is out for 3-4 months as well with a calf muscle injury.

NorthernExtreme.png

Victory in their game in hand (against Queensland Origin) would see Northern Extreme leap into second place on goal difference and trail leaders New Bloc by seven points. Manager Kodaly McMaster has his side currently 5th and a point behind the last Champions League spot thanks to their goalscoring exploits – they have scored more goals (in one game less) than any other club. However, the goals are being shared out with Luis Fabiano (9), Frank Lampard (8) and Fernando Torres (8) making significant contributions. Edwin Van Der Sar has been ever-present so far with 20 appearances and Lampard is the main man with a rating of 7.37. A 5-0 home demolition of Discworld really made people sit up and take notice but Northern Extreme might regret a disappointing defeat to London Titans that leaves them slightly off the pace. Only Nani looks set to leave – the winger has six appearances and is interesting Tibbolini, Discworld, Blackthorn and Inland Valley Hawks – so Northern Extreme should launch an assault over the coming months.

WelshWizards.png

The Welsh Wizards – with Ryan Lester at the helm – are making an excellent fist of their league season by challenging for Europe at the mid-point. 4 points from the top four means they could challenge for a place in the Champions League and they have Vagner Love to thank for that. 15 goals in 19 appearances and a rating of 7.56 mean the Brazilian is firing the Wizards to victories – and good ones like a 6-1 thrashing of Blackthorn Athletic (another team to do that) – and their five defeats have all been by the odd goal. Defeat to Inland Valley Hawks – a team they are chasing – by 3-2 could be seen as a disappointment but the Wizards look set to challenge in the second half of the season with Hugo Lloris also playing a big part as an ever-present goalkeeper. Problems for Samir Nasri who has made just one start thanks to a series of injuries and he is currently out for 2 months with an ankle problem. Only Vedran Corluka looks set to move in January (Discworld interested) which would be a blow as the Croatian has made 15 appearances. However, Ferrie Bodde has been told he has no future at the club as well and could make a move to Ipswich Town.

ToptoBottomLogo.gif

Essendon1.jpg

Kevin Sheedy’s Essendon side are very inconsistent and this is shown in the amount of games won and loss – on only one occasion have they drawn! Essendon either win or they lose and this ‘all or nothing’ record is hampering their attempts to challenge higher up the table. They currently sit in seventh and are 5 points from the Champions League positions and with Miroslav Klose in form – 11 goals in 21 appearances – they should put up a challenge for a European spot this season. He is their best player with a rating of 7.20 although Leighton Baines is the mainstay with 21 appearances already. More results against their rivals, such as their 2-1 home win over Inland Valley Hawks, are needed and they need to avoid defeat in these crunch games – two successive 4-1 defeats to teams like Northern Extreme (home) and Essex Eagles (away) are not needed!

SteelPanthers.png

Stix Zadinia is the manager of the Steel Panthers who are the entertainers of the Premier League. The main problem lies in their gung-ho approach – they are the division’s second top scorers yet have only won eight of their eighteen games. It doesn’t need a scientist to work that one out. They have a phenomenally good goal difference but sit 7 points away from the Champions League still and need to become more secure at the back to challenge the top four. 10 goals in 17 games from Robinho and 22 appearances from Nadir Belhadj show their main men although their best rated player is – ironically – a defender in Ricardo Carvalho (7.29). They need to cut out defeats to those teams just above them – London Titans, Coedpoeth United and Northern Extreme have all beaten them already – and need to build on their impressive results such as a 7-1 home win over Blackthorn Athletic (everybody seems to be hammering Blackthorn!) and a 6-0 win over Queensland Origin.

QueenslandOrigin.png

Speaking of the Origin, they are sitting ninth in the table at the halfway stage. Manager Karmicheal Hunt has made Queensland extremely difficult to beat – only four defeats all season – but they are drawing far too many. They have more draws than anyone else with seven and need to turn more of these into wins to challenge for Europe. Other than the bottom two, they are the lowest scorers in the division with just 18 and this needs to be remedied in the transfer window. Their game in hand over Northern Extreme is massive – a win and they could challenge, a defeat will see them head for mid-table obscurity. Their four defeats were made worse as they were against their main rivals – Steel Panthers and Inland Valley Hawks hammered them – but they have two pieces of silverware already in the Community Shield and the Club World Championship that they won with a 2-0 win over Etoile du Sahel in extra time thanks to goals from Dave Kitson and James Collins. Mikel Arteta is exhausted and is being given an extended break whilst Martin Petrov has an ankle problem that is keeping him out for a month and half.

ToptoBottomLogo.gif

Discworld.png

Magnus Vestergaard’s Discword are the last team with a shot at challenging for Europe this season without a major transformation in form. However, they will need an improvement if they are to snatch a European place as they sit 10th and 9 points from the Champions League spots. A leaky defence and a free-scoring attack are a recipe for entertainment but no consistency in terms of results – this was summed up by their rollercoaster 5-4 win over Tibbolini. They have two strikers on fire – Dimitar Berbatov has 15 goals and David Villa has 12 – but their defence needs strengthening to compete. Jeremy Toulalan has 29 appearances but the stars are Berbatov and Villa with ratings of 7.38. The highlight of their season so far was a 4-0 thrashing of league leaders New Bloc but they typically followed this with a 0-3 reverse at Brennan United.

BrennanUnited.png

Brennan United manager John Puckett is the highest manager who will be glancing nervously over his shoulder despite their 11th position at the moment. Six points clear of the relegation zone will be a worry if they hit a bad run although their steady record so far suggests that shouldn’t happen – seven wins and nine defeats so far. Goran Pandev has 7 goals in 19 so they may need a goalscorer in January to compete higher and Jens Lehmann and Mauro Camoranesi are their main men with 22 appearances each. Zoran Tosic has the best rating of 7.14 which is quite low for the top player. A 3-0 home defeat of Discworld was a good one against their rivals in the league but they were beaten by everyone else’s whipping boys when they were beaten 3-1 at Blackthorn Athletic.

GnomeaniaUnited.png

The Gnomes have the only female manager in the division and she – Joselyn Blanc - is doing a steady job at the club. They sit 12th and like Brennan United in 11th, they are having a steady season which sees them sitting 6 points clear of the relegation zone. She does seem to have found a gem of a goalscorer in Hulk who has 9 in 14 so far and he is their best player (7.31) as well. Brede Hangeland is her rock defender with 22 appearances but they are currently on a poor run of four games without a win. An injury to Jose Bosingwa will not help – 2 months with a damaged hip – but they showed in a 2-1 win at the Steel Panthers that they are capable of beating the teams in the top half. Mark Schwarzer, the reserve goalkeeper, may leave in January as he has made 0 appearances and Discworld and Queensland Origin may make a move.

More to follow tomorrow!

Great updates GCB, cheers for delivering a fix earlier than expected :)

Pretty happy with 8th for Steel Panthers, and very happy that we're free-scoring - just need a couple of decent defensive signings and we should be able to push on!

Been playing solidly, but as I thought at the start of the season, we haven't quite got the strike-force to further challenge. We can't be relying on the likes of Dave Kitson to bang them home.

Winning the Club World Championship is a fantastic effort, hopefully the team's confidence will be up and we can start challenging in the Premier League. A good striker is needed in January I think.....

KUTGW GCB!!!!

Archived