How good are you at FM? Rate yourself out of 5 stars.

How good are you at FM? Rate yourself out of 5 stars.  

676 members have voted

1. 1. How good are you at FM? Rate yourself out of 5 stars.

*and be honest!*

With all the people complaining that FM is too easy, and then others saying the game is too complex and far too challenging for a game, it'd be interesting to see how good people actually are at Football Manager. I said on another thread (is FM too easy?) that perhaps people who are finding the game too easy might just be very good at the game.

No FM bashing or anything like that, just rate yourself out of 5 stars.

1* - You'd get relegated with Barcelona (if you could keep the job until the end of the season, that is).

2* - You'd struggle to beat lower league opposition in the FA cup 3rd round.

3* - Like me, you have had mixed success, but occasionally go on a run of trophy collecting, much to your delight.

4* - Mr/Mrs Consistent. You'd win the league with top teams and keep bottom teams up, you know what you're doing.

5* - You're amazed Steve Gibson wasn't on the phone to you recently over the vacant Middlesbrough job. You can win back-to-back promotions with anyone and refuse to manage a big club because it's 'not fair' on your opponents.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not outstanding, I don't win every single game, I don't find amazing regens, I don't have players scoring nearly 3000 goals.

But I win more than I lose and I make some shrewd signings. So I'd say about 2 or 3. But I voted for 4.

Well that makes sense :D

Maybe he has a CA of 3 stars, but a PA of 4 :D

Four stars. In my FM09 game I won the league with Man Utd 7 years in a row and ECL 6 years in a row. Treble winners in four of those seasons, quadruple in two. In the same game I took on jobs at Middlesborough, Aston Villa, Man City, and Arsenal and turned them all from also-rans to challengers in the league. Now in Spain with Zaragoza where I won the league in my first season and am well on my way to a second championship. Just need to replace Balotelli's goals (37 and still going strong!)

My downfall is that I'm overly reliant on a very specific training schedule that requires an enormous backroom staff and makes almost everyone involved desperately unhappy with their lives; and a huge scouting network. I'm usually engrossed in watching our opponents so I don't have time to waste faffing around watching players in matches. If a scout I trust rates him, I buy him and I'm not afraid to sell him on at a loss.

The problem this causes is that if the club (like Arsenal) aren't happy with me hiring a lot of backroom staff members then the training doesn't work so well; results are inconsistent and I get the boot after two years of my "three year plan."

Sidenote: on the continent they always talk about "projects" at clubs. Real Madrid's project to have the team as European challengers again within 2 years for example. It'd be better when you accept a contract at a new team to be able to see what the board's expectations are and set a timeframe for accomplishing this. I took the Arsenal job on a 3 year deal and was well on the way to doing well; I'd established a good spine in the team, but I got sacked after 2 seasons. Disappointing. They are now doing very, very well with my players :(

4 easily. I've been following this game for so many years, so anything less would be a shame tbh.

My main strategy is to have a strong (as strong as you can have) first eleven, and at least descent/promising youth as backup on every position. And rotate a la Rafa alot. Condition below 92% = you dont start this match.

I voted myself a 4. My personal sense of things is b/w a 3.5 and 4.5 depending on personnel. This is because of the tactical system I run. My base is a 3-5-2, with 2 DM's and an AM; My attacking set is a 3-4-3, with a DM and CM; my defensive set is a 4-5-1, with a SW, 2 DM's and an AM. To be able to effectively implement this, I need to have players that can play a couple of different positions.

When I am starting out at a team I would say I go from a 3.5 to a 4.0, depending on how far along my team is early. After a season or two, I am in the 4.0 to 4.5 range because I have MY players.

Like a previous poster, I care little about happiness (winning should make them happy), sell off aging talent while they still have value and give ample playing time to young up-and-comers. I also care little about how much I win by. All I want is the "W."

BTW, I do coach high school soccer IRL and I would say this is fairly consistent with my philosophy at that level, given that the major change is I-get-the-players-I-get...

I'm a mix of 3 and 4. I can do really good with lower league teams, consecutive promotions or sticking a lower-to-mid-table team in a promotion race, but I find big teams tougher. So far, I've only won the Community Shield with Liverpool, against Chelsea - that was on penalties and I only achieved it this afternoon on FM07. :p

I would say I am a 3.5, I am pretty good at climbing up the leagues, but I hit a block when I make it into the top leagues, so I voted a 3.

I seem to have no trouble making it to being the club just outside the top group in any given nation, but breaking through them takes me a fair bit longer than it seems to for others.

I'm a mix of 3 and 4. I can do really good with lower league teams, consecutive promotions or sticking a lower-to-mid-table team in a promotion race, but I find big teams tougher. So far, I've only won the Community Shield with Liverpool, against Chelsea - that was on penalties and I only achieved it this afternoon on FM07. :p

Congratulations Suzie :cool:

I'm 6 in my own mind but probably between 3 and 4 in real life.

I will start with Man City this year (as always) but graduate to the lower leagues (or unemployed) which is much more of a challenge. Then we'll see how good I am :)

I bet if most of the ones who reckon they're a 5 played the LLM way, i.e. not using player search, staff search etc etc, they would be nowhere near as successful!

I play that way all the time, even with big teams. Doesn't feel right using the search functions.

I would like to see myself as a 3/4, I prefer enjoyment over the challenge in a sense, I don't really like LLM as its not my style, What I enjoy is to play as my favorite teams such as Arsenal and Valencia, I'm good at finding regens and great at tactics but im terrible with training lol I don't need to use the forums for tactics and donn't use the search functions to find good regens, i just have a good knack for it :) This is a good thread btw (Y) :)

i'd say 4 stars

mainly because i have a 80% success rate

the only teams i've failed with in my years of FM are mansfield and vauxhall motors

had good success with leeds, notts forest , carlisle , tranmere rovers, gil vicente (portugal) and chievo in italy

and i mean european success

oh and all my own tactics too

I did get St Albans from the BSS to the Championship on FM09, and got back to back promotions from League 1 into the Championship, so technically that classifies me for 5* :D

However, I've gone for four as there's always room for improvement :)

I am pretty good, if I say so myself. I've played a lot of FM, and only "failed" twice. Once as Genoa when they were in Serie B, can't remember much, got a lot of draws. There was another time when I was pretty much top of one of the Spanish Third Divisions, but the club was in financial ruin due to circumstances outside of my control and I had to sell the lot in January. We ended up missing out on the playoffs by 1 point :(

I have got back to back promotions (with Chesterfield), I've won titles with 20th-predicted sides, I've worked on shoestrings. However, Genoa still bugs me. 4*, I'll be 5* if I ever conquer Italy.

I would say 3.

I generally do well - in fact i can't think of a game where i've "failed". But at the same time i wouldn't say i know what i'm doing. :D That stops me voting for 4. I tend to get by relatively successfully though and am very much still learning having only played the last two versions.

Rafa doesn't rotate any more than the next manager. I wish people would get rid of that misconception.

Im very well aware of that, but "the common man" is not. Therefore I made my point that way.

Regardless how the god that is Rafa picks the team these days, thanks to the media the concept of rafa-rotation will be remembered for a long time.

traditionally 3, almost a random mix of success and failure maybe closer to 4 recently but that was 2 good saves on 07 and 09. poor or at least average attempts at different clubs on 'side-saves', doing the same things that have brought me success (thats the thing, for me anyway, no matter what you do or fail to do, it either works out or it doesn't, especially true on earlier games when a) with low rep I was a lower league journeyman manager and b) before I'd really developed a way of playing) has shown I'm just as prone to doing poorly as ever. 3.5 wouldn't be that far off so I went for 3 as 4 would be too much.

i would say 3. in previous versions execpt 09 ive done ok. with port talbot, i did better than i thought i would. my brother who is always man utd once went unbeaten for about 2 seasons, he won the league title every year for 7 or 8 years and the champions league the same, he kept the same formation all the time as well. he doesn`t play it now because he got bored of it.

I voted for 3 but I think I could be a 3.5..

I'm into my 16th season with Villa and I've only won the

EPL 5 times,

FA Cup 2 times,

League Cup 4 times,

Never won a European competition (Besides Euro Vase in season 1),

Never won a treble, Won the double once (EPL & League Cup),

Never won back-2-back anything.

I think I might be the most unsuccessful succesful manager in FM history

Archived