The Scottish Pyramid, Platinum Edition

Cadijk van Kaarhandel

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply
this looks brill.

I would like to add the scottish lges down to non lge regional and use English and welsh lges plus non lge.

also NI in a database to try and do a british cup starting with all non lges

do you think it would be posssible

My game should be arriving here in Cambodia any day now, and I've been waiting all this time to create a 10-tier British league; below BSP I'll have a regional structure involving many English, Scottish and 2 Welsh non-league divisions. I'll be using CvK and Superbladesman's excellent work to incorporate into my system. I HOPE! I'll let you know when I'm done if it was possible or not.

Hmmm, very tempting mate.

Do you foresee any future changes it might be worth waiting for, or have you settled on the current release as final??

Either way, I congratulate you on the work you've done here - very impressive indeed :thup: I'm actually very surprised to see my home-town team, the Kirky Rabs, in tier 3! I can see them slipping to more comparitive company in tier 4 :(

Give it a go, its refreshing to have (what I think is) a more sensible set up

Do you foresee any future changes it might be worth waiting for, or have you settled on the current release as final??

Leaving it as-is for the foreseeable. With the help of the people on the thread we’ve cut out all the stupid rules, errors, etc so I’m quite happy as it is.

I'm actually very surprised to see my home-town team, the Kirky Rabs, in tier 3! I can see them slipping to more comparitive company in tier 4 :(

Aye, Rob Roy’s lofty position in the West Juniors secured them a Tier 3 spot. I’ll need to check how they’re getting on, I’m in Season 3 so we’ll see if they’ve slipped down. The only non-league team I’ve seen make it to SPL2 so far is Huntly, who then proceeded to get annihilated in Season 2 and fell back down again.

Your database is amazing!! But how did you work the Cup rounds out? if the numbers are uneven do you have to sort it so that a team gets a "by" so that eventually the teams go down to 16 > 8 > 4 > 2 etc i was gonna add my own team to the database (with your permission) so i dont know what effect a extra team will have on your cup structure.

You don't need my permission to edit your game

Cup Rounds kinda take care of themselves. The Super, Challenge, and Junior Cup all have factors of 32 in them anyway. I'd taken that into account when formulating the league numbers.

The Scottish Cup, having 276 (i think its that) puts a Round 1 in with a limited number of teams. Round 2 then has 256 and runs on in from there.

Each cup has a list of entrant leagues assigned to it, and one of the tricks is to have the lowest ranked leagues at the top of the list so as to hopefully force Round 1 to pick teams from those leagues first.

Okay into January of Season 2 with Queen Of South.

So I won the SPL2 in my first season with not to much difficulty however life in the top tier was to prove more of a challenge.

With 7 games gone we had only managed to place 3 points on the board and where still looking for our first win. The bright side was we had played both sides of the old firm, hearts, hibs and a high flying Falkirk (who gubbed us 6-2 at their own ground). However having studied the fixture list prior to the start of the season I had hoped for around 5 points so things where not all that bleak.

With Airdrie, Stirling, Hamilton, Aberdeen and Motherwell next up these where the fixtures I was hoping to gain as much points as possible. At the same time I initiated a new set of tactics changing from my tried and tested 4-4-2 which was not proving much joy to a 4-1-2-2-1. The results where instantly felt. Airdrie where dispatched 2-0, Stirling 3-0, Hamilton 0-0, Aberdeen where defeated 2-0 before a 2-2 draw with Motherwell. 6 points where then dropped against Dundee and Hibs before the visit of Rangers to Palmerston Park. On a magical Sunday afternoon QOS announced their intentions to not only remain in SPL1 but to finish above the media prediction of 13th. Vincent Pericard opened the scoring on 4 mins before Willie McLaren doubled the lead on 45. In the second half defending was the order of the day however despite having our backs to the wall Steven Bryce sent us 3-0 up on 69 mins. Fantastic defending saw us close out a 3-0 win and pandemonium erupted in the stands. Another 6 points where then dropped against Kilmarnock and St Mirren takes us up to date. Now sitting 12th with 17 points after 19 games.

In the cups we have faired much better this year. The Super Cup saw us drawn against Rangers, Brechin and Morton. The first round was successfully negotiated as we finished 2nd behind Rangers with 10 points. In the first round we where drawn against Motherwell. The first leg saw us at home where we romped to a 5-1 victory, luckily the goals where going to be needed because we where to lose the second leg 6-2 and scrape through on away goals. In the quarters we drew Hibs and after the first leg away from home we lost 2-1. The second leg is to be played when I finish typing this up.

In the Scottish Cup, Clyde and Troon where dispatched setting us up for a 4th round home tie against Rangers B. It is all good in the cups so far.

The main aim remains to secure top tier football next year as well as attempting to ensure that the clubs coffers continue to grow ensuring a health financial footing in order to continue to grow.

However the media continue to link me with all the available jobs... Sevilla and Everton. I did however miss out on the Rangers job when WS left to join Sevilla. So the future looks reasonably bright for QOS however will I be here to see the job through or will the lure of a larger club finally prove to much.

Who knows what the future holds....

Not sure that they are courting me... more like media hype me thinks...

Good advice about using tv money however I want to try and ensure that the books balance... will only pay out high wages (i.e +£900) on players I am sure will be worth it.

Maybe the SFA will offer me the Scotland job... I cant be worse the Burley now can I!!

whats the best database size to run with this, no.of other leagues etc? or is it best just to run scottish leagues only? definately trying this out when game arrives, can see challenge game in it take a tier 6 team to SPL2 even in 10 years say. should keep me busy that lol

I have all the Scottish Leagues, England League 2 and up as well as Spain League Aledante running. That runs pretty well on an average machine... does get slow in the early rounds of the Scottish Cup due to the massive amounts of teams playing but it is not to bad... nothing like it was on FM09

Database and Number of Leagues is dependent on how powerful your PC is.

You can set 'custom' database size in FM10. There's still the small/medium/large options but you can opt to retain players from nations by ticking boxes.

Sounds a good challenge, the Tier 6 one. Might do that after i'm fed up of my current Aberdeen game.

Ahhhhh....

Loads of quality players available for loan... pity I dont have the cash for the initial fee, or the budget for the wages... or the ones I do wont loan them to me because we are in the same league.

I want to scream at the unfairness

Cadijk,

I love the look of this but when I use it there seems to be a bit of an issue with club finances. About 100 clubs are in debt and the balance ranges from -£558,940 to -£123,220. These are all Amateur or Semi-Pro clubs and the amount of debt seems way too high. I am assuming that this is a feature of FM rather than your own doing as it seems that all of the clubs in your file have a starting balance of zero. Is this an issue that you have seen in your own testing?

Thanks for the feedback Bob. Not something I’d noticed as I’ve been playing in the SPL1. I didn’t do anything at all to any club’s finances so its an “FM2010” thing.

Agree that its unrealistic to have small clubs on £0.5m debt, so something needs tweaked.

What does everyone think should be done to eradicate the debt? There’s a multitude of options for finances, both competition-specific and individual club-specific.

Just wondering what people think a good (and realistic) fix would be? I don’t want to go offering £100k TV money to the lowest rep’d leagues, maybe its something like ticket-pricing that needs looked at? However, I’ve seen clubs get crowds of 11 so that might not be too effective.

My approach is probably too arbitrary for you - I eliminate all debt in the country I'm playing in, and debt at all major clubs in Europe (ie. the teams I'm likely to be slugging it out against in the Europa/CL).

Debt itself is applied very arbitrarily by the researchers, so it's never a level playing field to start with. Plus I want an enjoyable gameworld where clubs aren't eternally saddled with huge debts.

For the teams in my nation I just go through the clubs in my leagues individually and clear their debts. And for the rest of Europe I filter clubs above 6000 rep (that's generally ones you're likely to meet) and do the same with them. You can filter clubs with debt from those without so it doesn't take long to do.

A lot of these instances are stadium rebuilding debts, so it doesn't just benefit them at the start of the game. In fact they may have already implemented smaller wage budgets because of this and will sustain their new found freedom!

I'll give you an example of how badly it's implemented at the moment.

My team, Inter, IIRC have an in-game debt of around £300m. IRL they don't have any - Moratti has underwritten losses over the years and the researcher thinks that's what they amount to. If someone bought Inter tomorrow (god forbid), they wouldn't inherit this sum as a debt - there's none. Really this should be applied as an 'under-writing sugar daddy' in the INC file.

Yeah, use the in-game editor.

If we were doing the default Scottish database filter the Scotish teams with a reputation => the lowest one in division 3, and select the 'has debt' check box. Just go through them clearing the debt.

And for European clubs select the continent rather than the nation and do the same, picking whatever reputation you feel is necesary.

It's just my preference because when I get a small team to the top I want to be playing Man Utd and Inter and the like in Europe - not Stoke and Chievo because the big clubs are skint and relegated like happened in FM09.

Cadijk,

I had a bit of a go at updating your XML to add in starting balances for all of the teams in the lower levels. I gave Amatuer teams £5,000 and Semi-Pro £10,000. When I check now at the start of a new game then all of the teams that I changed start with a balance of zero. I can send you the XML if you wish.

I thought I would give a quick update of how my game went in season 1, the idea is great but I think ive now realized why the pyramid system cant work in real life. First of all can I say that I dont like to go on holiday to see how something works I prefer to play a season, as I think the human influence is needed, ie substitutions and team talks.

Anyway started as Celtic, didnt sign any-one, and used my own 442 tactic.I won the spl1 on 21/02/10, finished at the end of the season 32 points clear of hibs and rangers,final standings, pl 30 w 27 d 2 L 1. I won the super-cup beating Dunfermline 8-1 in the final, won the scottish cup beating Hamilton 5-1. Fairly up and down in europe, got to 2nd knockout round of europa league,losing to aston villa on away goals.

In the scottish cup is there any way of seeding teams? I played 4 junior teams in the earlier rounds and even played Celtic B in the quarters.

To sum up the data base is great, a breath of fresh air for the scottish game but the gap between the top 6 and the rest is too big, I think the game will be far more enjoyable when I now restart as Clydebank, looking forward to searching and signing fresh talent again.

I dont know if this will be any help to any-one as this is just my personal experience over 1 season playing with probably the best team in the data-base,I will post at the end of my 1st season with Clydebank and let you know the differences with a smaller team.

Thanks once again for the time and effort spent on the database as I`m sure I`m not the only one enjoying this

Had a look at smaller clubs in data base, on mine avg ticket price £0, season ticket price £0, number of season ticket holders 0, I think this may be the problem , even if you get a decent crowd they are getting in for free

Finances at start of Season 3. 115 clubs in debt, Queens Park and Dunfermline being the deepest, Livi also in the 5 worst-off clubs. 33 clubs have >£100k debt.

But look at Annan, £23m in the kitty :eek:

Name                    | Nation   | Rep   | Av Age | Balance    | Wage Budget | Status            | Av Att 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Queen's Park            | Scotland | 3,101 | 25.5   | -687,260   | 4,840       | Semi-Professional | 1,180  
Dunfermline             | Scotland | 4,089 | 25.3   | -634,820   | 6,980       | Professional      | 3,500  
Forres Mechanics        | Scotland | 1,465 | 21.8   | -558,670   | 670         | Semi-Professional | 176    
Preston Athletic        | Scotland | 1,143 | 23.0   | -548,500   | 600         | Semi-Professional | 100    
Livingston              | Scotland | 4,388 | 27.1   | -419,230   | 12,510      | Professional      | 3,129  
Queen of Sth            | Scotland | 5,044 | 27.3   | 2,504,470  | 27,740      | Professional      | 4,880  
Hamilton                | Scotland | 3,727 | 28.2   | 2,615,540  | 18,280      | Professional      | 2,593  
Aberdeen                | Scotland | 5,554 | 26.4   | 4,087,950  | 103,460     | Professional      | 20,394 
Inverness CT            | Scotland | 4,277 | 27.1   | 5,162,500  | 32,190      | Professional      | 2,750  
Motherwell              | Scotland | 4,825 | 26.9   | 6,437,620  | 83,830      | Professional      | 6,312  
Hibernian               | Scotland | 4,727 | 25.5   | 8,241,620  | 82,420      | Professional      | 12,547 
Hearts                  | Scotland | 5,032 | 26.5   | 8,568,520  | 86,320      | Professional      | 18,339 
Dundee Utd              | Scotland | 5,095 | 23.8   | 10,554,490 | 83,390      | Professional      | 9,158  
Annan                   | Scotland | 3,675 | 24.8   | 23,157,980 | 35,300      | Professional      | 1,093  
Rangers                 | Scotland | 5,876 | 25.6   | 30,545,500 | 376,930     | Professional      | 51,502 
Celtic                  | Scotland | 6,173 | 26.8   | 39,491,760 | 535,920     | Professional      | 63,061 

Finances at start of Season 3. 115 clubs in debt, Queens Park and Dunfermline being the deepest, Livi also in the 5 worst-off clubs. 33 clubs have >£100k debt.

But look at Annan, £23m in the kitty :eek:

Name                    | Nation   | Rep   | Av Age | Balance    | Wage Budget | Status            | Av Att 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Queen's Park            | Scotland | 3,101 | 25.5   | -687,260   | 4,840       | Semi-Professional | 1,180  
Dunfermline             | Scotland | 4,089 | 25.3   | -634,820   | 6,980       | Professional      | 3,500  
Forres Mechanics        | Scotland | 1,465 | 21.8   | -558,670   | 670         | Semi-Professional | 176    
Preston Athletic        | Scotland | 1,143 | 23.0   | -548,500   | 600         | Semi-Professional | 100    
Livingston              | Scotland | 4,388 | 27.1   | -419,230   | 12,510      | Professional      | 3,129  
Queen of Sth            | Scotland | 5,044 | 27.3   | 2,504,470  | 27,740      | Professional      | 4,880  
Hamilton                | Scotland | 3,727 | 28.2   | 2,615,540  | 18,280      | Professional      | 2,593  
Aberdeen                | Scotland | 5,554 | 26.4   | 4,087,950  | 103,460     | Professional      | 20,394 
Inverness CT            | Scotland | 4,277 | 27.1   | 5,162,500  | 32,190      | Professional      | 2,750  
Motherwell              | Scotland | 4,825 | 26.9   | 6,437,620  | 83,830      | Professional      | 6,312  
Hibernian               | Scotland | 4,727 | 25.5   | 8,241,620  | 82,420      | Professional      | 12,547 
Hearts                  | Scotland | 5,032 | 26.5   | 8,568,520  | 86,320      | Professional      | 18,339 
Dundee Utd              | Scotland | 5,095 | 23.8   | 10,554,490 | 83,390      | Professional      | 9,158  
Annan                   | Scotland | 3,675 | 24.8   | 23,157,980 | 35,300      | Professional      | 1,093  
Rangers                 | Scotland | 5,876 | 25.6   | 30,545,500 | 376,930     | Professional      | 51,502 
Celtic                  | Scotland | 6,173 | 26.8   | 39,491,760 | 535,920     | Professional      | 63,061 

Atake that there has been a takeover here ?

i really like this set-up. the only thing that i don't like that much is playing the extremely low reputation sides in cup matches. celtic are my favorite club so obviously that's who i manage & i've played reserve teams, b teams, & amateur teams. demolishing those sides isn't much fun. i upped the prize money for spl1 to try to make it more competitive with the rest of europe. spl1 winner gets 15 mil now and i dropped the value in small increments all the way down. tv money is also now at 10 mil per for spl1 sides. in the 2nd season teams are starting to spend some of that money on fairly decent players.

the only thing that i don't like that much is playing the extremely low reputation sides in cup matches. celtic are my favorite club so obviously that's who i manage & i've played reserve teams, b teams, & amateur teams. demolishing those sides isn't much fun.

Fair enough, but put yourself in the shoes of the minnow! A trip to Celtic Park could earn them as much money as they’d make in about 10 years. I always field my B/U19 team if the opponents lowly enough.

Has anyone been drawn against their own B team yet? Could be interesting.

Good update Banner. Quite surprised to see Seville and Everton courting you, the manager of a struggling (?) SPL side :)

Now into mid Feb (havent had the time to play alot the past few days) and I just had to turn down Valencia... I had to think log and hard about it but I fancy another season with QOS with the extra cash after a season in SPL1.

Archived