Steam Problems FAQ and Basic Crash Troubleshooting

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Google suggests the following - I've never tried it but it might be worth a go...

1.) Exit Steam

2.) Browse to your Steam folder on your computer (usually C:\Program Files\Steam)

3.) Now delelte the following files: ClientRegistry.blob.

4.) Restart Steam and it will do an update and hopefully fix your problem

@jamster_,dansheppard

thats not s steam issue but i will help

First of all you need to turn on hidden files and folders.

XP:

My Computer

'Tools'

'Folder Options'.

The go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

VISTA and 7:

My Computer

'Organize'

'Folder and Search Options'.

The go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

Once this is done, follow the instructions below:

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

2. Navigate to : “Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\

3. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder.

4. Go to the “Football Manager 2010” Folder.

5. Delete the 'cache' Folder found inside here.

Wndows Vista and 7:

1. Click “Start”

2. Click your username on the start Menu

3. Click on “AppData” and then “Roaming”

4. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder

5. Go to the “Football Manager 2010” Folder.

6. Delete the 'cache' Folder found inside here

@Afactor4

some schools do those things , find a place to update steam thats no the school , has soon has its finished , go to file and select go offline( next time steam starts it will be offline mode ) . in school it will start in offline mode there however because it pick up the connection it will ask to go online and you will answer remain offline

@evan1884

you shoud had read the faq but the trick matt gave should solve it

@jamster part 2

do this trick get the Netbook skin

link : http://sites.google.com/site/michael...tbook2010-skin

1.and place on the games launch options on steam : -skin=netbook2010 ( rich click FM 2010 properties on steam and click set launch options )

or

2. Manually adjust one of the xml files, first you may need to enable view hidden files, then browse to:

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\settings

Vista: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\settings

Inside that folder will be a list of xml files (they may all be inside a Version 1003 subfolder for some reason), now you want to scroll down until you find the 'skin.xml' file open this with notepad and you will see something like this:

<record>

<string id="valu" value="netbook2010"/>

</record>

sory for late answer but i have been rather busy

EDIT and also @dansheppard

Have now fixed it!

delete the 'cache' as suggested by aimless

also delete the 'settings' folder in the same place...

so

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

2. Navigate to : “Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\

3. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder.

4. Go to the “Football Manager 2010” Folder.

5. Delete the 'settings' Folder found inside here.

Wndows Vista and 7:

1. Click “Start”

2. Click your username on the start Menu

3. Click on “AppData” and then “Roaming”

4. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder

5. Go to the “Football Manager 2010” Folder.

6. Delete the 'settings' Folder found inside here

also try downloading the latest Microsoft XML Parser from this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7F6C0CB4-7A5E-4790-A7CF-9E139E6819C0&displaylang=en

once again thanks aimless for pointing in the right direction

@evan1884

Q1: if it changed and you cant login your account was hijacked follow these instructions and contact support asap

Q2: yes you cant its the same has normal version

@WGC go to steam folder usualy C:\programfiles\steam\steamapps\common\fm2010\tools\editor editor is there

@evan1884

q1: If it changed and you cant login your account was hijacked follow these instructions and contact support asap

q2: Yes you cant its the same has normal version

@wgc go to steam folder usualy c:\programfiles\steam\steamapps\common\fm2010\tools\editor editor is there

thanks!!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm having problems with offline mode in Steam. My wireless internet connection is not working properly as I have exceeded my allowance for the month, so I'm unable to log in to Steam between 4pm and 12am. Having stayed up past midnight the other day, I set Steam to operate in offline mode, and consequently I was able to play the game in offline mode last night. However, today all of a sudden I get a message saying that offline mode is not possible as my login details are not stored. This is complete rubbish, and it keeps happening all the time. It's so frustrating as it means I basically cannot play the game during week nights. Am I doing something wrong without realising, or is this an error?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

everytime i go to load my save a message comes up saying that the footbaal manager memory is running dangerously low and i need somthing like 2000000 bytesto run, it then proceeds to crash after this message. Ive tried deleting all the saved games bar the ones im playing and deleting fm 2007, 2008 and 2009 off my computer yet the same message comes up when trying to load my game, why is this? cheers

Having fixed my last problem a new one has occured! Whenever i click on football manager it come up with an invalid token at line 1 message and a football manager is already running message. I have had the invalid token problem before and so have already deleted the cache and settings files to fix it a couple of weeks ago. Any ideas how i can fix it in a different way? cheers

I cant beleive this, having fixed the problem above, now when i get onto the main screen i have the same problem as badbahoy with the black background and overlapping writing when you click on anything, ive followed the steps of putting in a new skin but this hasnt worked. Do you know how i could fix this? Thanks

the token error the only none fix is that one

and about the black background try this

Step one Verify Game cache

How to :

-Load Steam

-From the My Games tab, right-click on FM2010 and select Properties from the menu.

-Select the Local files tab and click the Verify integrity of game cache... button.

-Steam will verify the game cache files (GCF's) - this process may take several minutes.

-Once the process is completed, the Check Window will automatically exit.

Step Two : Restart Steam

Step Tree Verify Game Cache again

it should download the damaged files

OUFC are MAGIC do you use a netbook?

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya guys i need some help

Basically i woke up this morning with steam not showing me football manager 10. so i went to activate the game again put the code in and it says its already been activiated by an existing account (the one i use) but i cant use the game. so i deleted everything and started again with steam but still the same thing

how do i get a activation steam code without buying the game again? coz i think this is steams fault

my pc just switches off after the 2nd half, i just used to the disk to install, delselected all the display stuff like the crowd etc, its running on 2d and i haven't played it for a few weeks now. i'm really fed up any advice would be welcome

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

• 2 weeks later...

okay so i was on steam saturday (at my parents)

and i moved to somewhere else sunday....since sunday i cant use my steam it gives me this message

Steam.exe (main exception): To run Steam, you must first connect to the internet

i have deleted clientregistry.blob i have renamed clientregistry.blob i have changed it with an old clientregistry.blob i didnt get the same message but still it didnt work

i have tried to delete steam and reinstalled it like 5 times..... didnt work

i have added some ports that are in the faq...stil it wont work

i have been on 10+ sites but doesnt seem to find any help... please help me

i have xp

try this remove steam

delete everything on the steam folder except for the steamapps folder

install steam

turning off Windows Compatibility on the steam executables, and running steam has Administrator.

do you have any IP filtering software. (e.g. PeerBlock, Peer Guardian, etc)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've lost all the team badges on fm 10 i rebooted my laptop and i installed fm again ive tried to play it but all the badges are gone can you explain how i get it back please?. I've been told to delete the cache folder if thats the case how do I do that please?

• 4 weeks later...

try changing your server options, boot up steam, once steam has loaded in the top left corner click STEAM - from the drop down menu click SETTINGS - on the next menu click DOWNLOADS + CLOUD - on the next screen try and select a download speed that is close to what you get and you can also change the server you try and download form.

i am not saying this will work but sometimes it does, pick servers close to you, London or Manchester, is these don't work try Ireland etc.

Archived