arsenal_2111

Do you want to be able to give yourself a nickname?

Do you want to be able to give yourself a nickname?   137 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to be able to give yourself a nickname?

• Yes - I used this feature regularly
    • No - I don't want this feature to be available
    • Not bothered - I rarely/never used it anyway

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

72 posts in this topic

As you may or may not have noticed, you are no longer able to do this in FM10.

I've got no idea why, it could have stopped working or it could have just been deemed pointless.

But I know I used it when changing my name on FM to arsenal_2111 for screenshots, and I've seen some people using it to put 'Sir' at the start of their names.

Would you like the ability to do this again in future versions?

Not particularly.

Easy enough to do it using the first and last names.

I went into my first demo game aiming to use this feature but I couldn't find. Disappointing. I wanted to be realistic so I thought, I'll impersonate Leonardo on the AC Milan bench, but I couldn't name my manager just "Leonardo" and couldn't use a nickname, so I had to put de Araujo as a name :D

Well, I think that this option is redundant. I NEVER use nicknames in my games!

I didn't realise you couldn't do it :thdn:

Yes, I want it back.

I've never used it myself either but think the option should be there for those who want it.

I hadn't noticed this had gone, I used it all the time to name myself 'dafuge'.

Is it now possible to enter just one name when creating a new manager?

It's a nice option for those wanting to post screenies but don't want to have their real name in it.
Therefore I support the return of it.

I wanted to be Teddy Sheringham, and give him his real name with Teddy Sheringham as his nickname as per real life. Why was this taken out SI?

[quote name='Giziar']It's a nice option for those wanting to post screenies but don't want to have their real name in it.
Therefore I support the return of it.[/QUOTE]

Its not all that difficult to use an image editing program to remove your name before posting screenies. Like Colorado and Blanchflower1 I too never used this feature so am not disapointed that its been removed.

What!!! Nicknames are gone. I'm disappointed the nickname is gone. I use it on my staff all the time to help sort the emails. Maybe they can put it back in a patch.

[quote name='LFC Rule']What!!! Nicknames are gone. I'm disappointed the nickname is gone. I use it on my staff all the time to help sort the emails. Maybe they can put it back in a patch.[/QUOTE]

It's still in for players and staff, but not for human managers.

I really don't understand why we can't have a nickname anymore in the game... Having that possibility changes nothing for those who doesn't want to use it, but that changes everything for those who use this feature.

Please at SI, make this feature possible again for human managers... :'-(

I couldn't care less about being able to give myself a nick. Never actually understood what it might be useful for anyway to do that to anyone.
If I want to nick myself then I do it when creating the manager.

[quote name='Blanchflower1']Well, I think that this option is redundant. I NEVER use nicknames in my games![/QUOTE]

I use nicknames to shorten the player's name.

For example:

I will change Robin van Persie to 'van Persie' or Didier Drogba to 'Drogba'. To me, it looks better, it's more practical, and there's something about just one name.

I don't pay much attention to user nick name, but I am ALWAYS on this side: Extra option is never bad. He who wants to use it will enjoy it, he who doesn't want to use it, doesn't have to and it makes no relevance.

Put it back in asap - if pele was a manager wud he have 2 use the name Edison Arantes do Nascimento and would almost anyone know who had been appointed if he did? Some of the best players in the world have nicknames and so should we....

[quote name='dafuge']I hadn't noticed this had gone, I used it all the time to name myself 'dafuge'.

Is it now possible to enter just one name when creating a new manager?[/QUOTE]

Nope, you have to enter two names.

[quote name='jayahr']I couldn't care less about being able to give myself a nick. Never actually understood what it might be useful for anyway to do that to anyone.
If I want to nick myself then I do it when creating the manager.[/QUOTE]

It allowed us to give ourselves a single name, like 'Pele' or 'dafuge'.

No, dont mind if it stays out or comes back. I never used it anyway. I like to be reffered to as my real name.

I think it is a very important feature because it is nice to be able to show a screen shot without having to give vital information about one-self. Not everyone wants to become famous. It should be made available again regardless...

[quote name='Loversleaper']I think it is a very important feature because it is nice to be able to show a screen shot without having to give vital information about one-self. Not everyone wants to become famous. It should be made available again regardless...[/QUOTE]

But you could argue that just by signing on here you can be giving away just as much vital information as you would if you put up a screenshot with your real name? If it bothers people that much then surely uploading their screenshot into paint or something and covering your name like that would be worthwile?

As i say, im not fussed either way tbh as its something ive never used. Im just tryin to get some debate going about the pro's/cons of it :)

You can enter in your desired nickname as your first name and a random surname and tick the Use First Name box....

[quote name='Braenn']You can enter in your desired nickname as your first name and a random surname and tick the Use First Name box....[/QUOTE]

That just reverses the name, so it would appear as 'Smith John'.

What does it achieve in taking this feature away from the game may I ask?

Useless function if you ask me. I wouldnt want people calling me by my nickname unless they were my friend and the media isnt my friend.

i liked this feature :( please put it back

@ the guys who think its useless. for you it can be but for others isnt its a matter of opinion

Definitely want this back, why the heck did SI remove that?
In what way did remove this feature add any benefit to the game?

I play the game as my real name, but when I need to post screenshots, I must set a nickname.
This feature is quite an useful feature, and one I cannot understand why they removed.

Hopefully they'll un-remove it for the patch!

[quote name='Grimoz']Useless function if you ask me. I wouldnt want people calling me by my nickname unless they were my friend and the media isnt my friend.[/QUOTE]

It is quite common for Brazilians though. The nickname function was also the only way you could enter a single name like 'Zico' rather than a first and surname.

[quote name='dafuge']It allowed us to give ourselves a single name, like 'Pele' or 'dafuge'.[/QUOTE]

Okay, fair enough. So I'm just not affected. :)

I don't care to be honest, above all now that trillions of bugs are under report phase for the first patch to take care about them.

I didn't realise this and I'm actually very disappointed. :mad:

As others have said, this made it really easy to change your name, especially for uploading screenshots. I used to change my real name to 'Crouchaldinho' or 'Crouchy' for this purpose.

It's only a small thing admittedly but it is something I would definitely like to see back in the game asap. :(

Maybe you should make this into a poll Jammy? See how many others want it back as an option.

Regards,
C.

[quote name='crouchaldinho']I didn't realise this and I'm actually very disappointed. :mad:

As others have said, this made it really easy to change your name, especially for uploading screenshots. I used to change my real name to 'Crouchaldinho' or 'Crouchy' for this purpose.

It's only a small thing admittedly but it is something I would definitely like to see back in the game asap. :([/QUOTE]

Same here, I'm pretty annoyed that this has been removed as I always used it.

Looks like I may have to go back to the old 'da fuge' name :(

[QUOTE]It's a nice option for those wanting to post screenies but don't want to have their real name in it.
Therefore I support the return of it. [/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]
In what way did remove this feature [B]add any benefit to the game[/B]?[/QUOTE]

I want nicknames back. Changing your nickname and posting screenies is ten times faster and easier than using a image changing programmer. Why can't you put a nickname, I know it's not used very often, but surely it isn't extra waste of space just to add that small feature for some who wants it? I agree with the following two quotes.

[quote name='crouchaldinho']Maybe you should make this into a poll Jammy? See how many others want it back as an option.[/QUOTE]

I ticked the 'add poll' box, but it took me straight to the thread and polls can't be edited/added after the thread has been posted :(

[quote name='arsenal_2111']I ticked the 'add poll' box, but it took me straight to the thread and polls can't be edited/added after the thread has been posted :([/QUOTE]

I've added one, I hope it is ok

Really doesn't make a football managment game having a nickname option in it, sorry was always a pointless option.

[quote name='cynet']Really doesn't make a football managment game having a nickname option in it, sorry was always a pointless option.[/QUOTE]

What if you wanted to create a Brazilian manager named like Zico?

I should add that I would be quite happy to lose the nickname function if we were able to enter a single name in the beginning for our manager.

[quote name='cynet']Really doesn't make a football managment game having a nickname option in it, sorry was always a pointless option.[/QUOTE]

Obviously it isn't a pointless option, as some of the posts in here prove.

:rolleyes:

[quote name='crouchaldinho']Obviously it isn't a pointless option, as some of the posts in here prove.

:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Current results of the poll suggest it is actually pretty pointless as the majority (at this moment i may add) aren't bothered/never used it!

[quote name='dafuge']I've added one, I hope it is ok[/QUOTE]

That's great, thanks :thup:

[quote name='baker.simon']Current results of the poll suggest it is actually pretty pointless as the majority (at this moment i may add) aren't bothered/never used it![/QUOTE]

So you're basing your conclusion on 19 people saying something? I don't know if you realised, but there are a good few more than that who play Football Manager.

And, even if it turns out that most people don't mind if it's put back in, surely it would be better to have it in and please those who want it? Other people don't have to use it if they don't want to.

[quote name='baker.simon']Current results of the poll suggest it is actually pretty pointless as the majority (at this moment i may add) aren't bothered/never used it![/QUOTE]

How does that make it pointless? :confused:

Pointless would be if absolutely nobody used it.

Clearly it was a useful feature for some of us who posted up screenshots and wanted to use our forum names in those instances. Clearly it isn't 'pointless' as I have just described how it has a point!

Regards,
C.

I have to laugh at the people who have voted for the 'No - I don't want this feature to be available' option.

Why would you specifically not want this to be available? :confused:

Unless, of course, being able to give yourself a nickname in the game really annoys you for some bizarre reason! :D

C.

[quote name='crouchaldinho']How does that make it pointless? :confused:

Pointless would be if absolutely nobody used it.

Clearly it was a useful feature for some of us who posted up screenshots and wanted to use our forum names in those instances. Clearly it isn't 'pointless' as I have just described how it has a point!

Regards,
C.[/QUOTE]

So the minority have to be pandered to then? Like i have said earlier in the thread (over 2 days ago in fact), it actually doesnt bother me if it is or isnt in the game as i never have/never will use it. Im just going off what the poll is suggesting most were saying [B]at that particular time[/B] (pay attention jammy).