The Official FM10 Southend United Thread: The best team in Essex!

JEinchy

Welcome to the thread of the best team in Essex...

southend.gif

The Official FM10 Southend United FC Thread

A bit of background...

Southend United Football club was formed in 1906 and played in the Southern League until 1920, when they co-found the Football League's new Third Division. In their first season there, they finished 17th. The Third Division was then renationalised, with Southend southern section. They remained there until the league reconstruction in 1958. They only nearly achieved promotion twice in that time, coming 3rd in 1932 and 1950. The club would not finish in a higher league position until 1991.

In 1958, the club joined the new national Third Division. Eight years later in 1966, they would experience their first ever relegation. Their first ever promotion didn't come until six seasons later, in 1972 where they finished runners up in the Fourth Division, behind winners Grimsby Town. They would suffer relegation again in 1976 and in 1978, they came up once again as runners up; this time to Watford. A third relegation came about in 1980, but the following year of 1981 proved to be the most successful in the club's history thus far, where they won the 1981 Fourth Division Championship and breaking several club records along the way.

The club suffered a financial crisis between the years of 1981 to 1987 and were forced to sell most of their leading players. In 1984, the club were once again relegated into the Fourth Division. They suffered one of their darkest hours when their average attendance fell below 2,000.

However, along came the beginning of a new golden era in 1987. Despite suffering relegation in 1989, Southend achieved consecutive promotions in 1990 and 1991 and for the first time in they history, Southend United Football Club became full members of the Football League. They achieved their highest ever position to date in 1992, where they finished 12th in the old Second Division. Southend were actually top come January, but dismal end of season form assured that they would miss out on an unique third successive promotion that would have given them a place as a Premier League founding member. Manager David Webb then stepped down.

Southend had a whole host of managers between the years of 1992 and 2003, where the club eventually suffered relegations down to the Division Three. The appointment of former Southend midfielder Steve Tilson in 2003 saw a dramatic turn around in the club's fortunes.

Tilson, who is the Football League's fifth longest serving manager, managed to achieve promotions to League One and then the Football League Championship, their highest ever position. They appeared in two consecutive Football League Trophy finals, although both were last 2-0 to Blackpool and Wrexham respectively. Southend's first major piece of silverware came after the club won promotion to League One in the 2005 League Two play-off final.

The club have since been relegated back to League One, but have recorded some big scalps. In their first and only season in the Championship, Southend beat Sunderland 3-1 at home. In the Carling Cup, Southend managed to beat Manchester United at Roots Hall, with Freddy Eastwood scoring the only goal of the game. In 2009, Southend managed to draw with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the F.A. Cup, but lost the replay at Roots Hall.

Stadium: Roots Hall and Forsett's Farm

Roots Hall was built in 1952 and opened three years later in 1955. It has a capacity of 12,392 which makes it the largest stadium in Essex. It is the current venue of the Essex Senior Cup final.

The club plan to move to a new 22,000 seater stadium, located in Forsett's Farm, at the start of the 2010/2011 season.

Football Manager 2010 Info

Nation: England

Year Founded: 1906

Chairman Status: Love the club

Legends: David Webb, Steve Tilson

Icons: Stan Collymore, Freddy Eastwood, Chris Powell, Adam Barrett, Spencer Prior, Mark Gower, Shaun Goater, Daryl Flahaven, Paul Sansome, Kevin Maher, Brett Angell, Daid Crown, Billy Best, Paul Clark, Ian Benjamin, Ron Poutney, Alan Moody, Dean Austin, Andy Ansah

Favoured Personnel: None

Fierce Rivals: Colchester, Leyton Orient

Other Rivals: West Ham

Finances: Okay

Average Ticket Price: £20.00

Average Season Ticket Price: £360

Season Ticket Holders: 5100

Estimated Value: £1.7M (Loan Debt: £2.8M)

Continental Competition: None

Media Prediction: 9th

Squad Personality: Loyal

Minimum Expectation: Top half finish

Transfer Budget: £0 for all expectations

Wage Budget: Top half finish - £25K, Promotion - £28.5K, Title Challenge - £29K, Winner - £30K

Player and Backroom Staff:

Goalkeepers:

Ian Joyce

Steve Mildenhall

Defenders:

Simon Francis

Osei Sankofa

Adam Barrett

Jean-Yves M'voto (on loan from Sunderland)

Johnny Herd

Midfielders:

Anthony Grant

Jean-Francois Christophe

Lee Sawyer (on loan from Chelsea)

Damian Sannell

Frank Moussa

Alan McCormack

Jack Morris

Stuart O'Keefe

Kevin Betsy (on loan to Wycombe)

Strikers:

Francis Laurent

Lee Barnard

Dougie Freeman

Alex Revell (on loan to Swindon)

Tashan Adeyinka

Craig Calver

James Walker

Assistant Manager: Paul Brush

Coach: Ricky Duncan

GK Coach: Lee Turner

Fitness Coach: Laurence Bloom

Youth Coaches: Luke Hobbs, Bill Garner, Mark Bonner

Physio: Ben Clarson, John Stannard

Scouts: Mick ManNeil, Mark Stow, Colin Richardson, Nigel Brown

Squad Analysis

This analysis is not based on any particular formation. All ratings are based off the minimum expectation of a top-half finish.

Goalkeeper

This positions is well covered with two solid goalkeepers. The best of the two, Steve Mildenhall (3/5 stars) should be first choice and had solid stats across the board – most noticeably he is an excellent shot stopper and should serve you well for a couple of years. Beware though, since he has a vulnerability to high balls coming towards him.

Backup is American goalkeeper Ian Joyce (2/5 stars, potential 2.5/5) who, at 23, may not develop into a player of Mildenhall's standard but is a very capable fill in should your first choice get injured. His distribution is a bit poor, but he makes up for it with his shot stopping ability.

You're pretty much sorted for this position for quite a while so there's no need for any changes. Despite having no young keeper that is worthy of mention, I wouldn't waste valuable resources on a young keeper or reserve keeper. I would also hold off trying to sign someone of real quality as this is not a problem area in the team.

First Choice: Steve Mildenhall

Backup: Ian Joyce

Promising Youngster: None

Recommended Signing: None

Left Back

You only have one left back in the squad and he's a very very good one. Although only 19 year old, Johnny Herd (2.5/5 stars, potential 3.5/5 stars) is one of the team's best defenders and has the ability to play at a higher level. You may receive a lot of interest from other teams and I strongly advise you keep hold of him at all costs. On top of being a good defender, Herd has the dribbling and crossing abilities of a winger at this level and is also very adept at set-piece, particularly long throws. A valuable asset to the team.

Centre back Adam Barrett can play here as an emergency backup, as can young Jack Morris from the reserves however I suggest that you look for a backup left back in case Herd gets injured since there are no other left backs in the squad that are good enough.

First Choice: Johnny Herd

Backup: Adam Barrett

Recommended Signing: Olivier Bernard (free transfer)

Right Back

Right back is a very well covered position in the team with two first choice right backs available to you and one very capable backup. Your best right back would be Simon Francis (3/5 stars) who is almost identical to Johnny Herd in terms of ability as a defender and as an attacker. Francis is also very versatile with the ability to play centre back, wing back and right midfield. He could also do a job as a central midfielder is need be. Another player who will probably gain a lot of attention from other clubs, Francis is a key man in your defence.

Your immediate backup is Osei Sankofa (2.5/5 stars) who is also very versatile. Although lacking somewhat in technical prowess, Sankofa is a great defender and hard worker. He too can play centre back, as well a defensive midfielder and central midfield.

Former Chelsea player Anthony Grant can fill in here for emergencies and is similar to Sankofa in terms of stats, however, he is very strong and athletic.

First Choice: Simon Francis

Backup: Osei Sankofa

Recommended Signing: None

Centre Back

A position that lacks depth, but not quality. You have one of the best centre backs in the league in club icon Adam Barrett (3.5/5 stars). Barrett lacks a bit of pace but is strong and dominant in the air. He can mark, tackle and carry the ball out of defence if need be. With very high stats for Determination and Influence, Adam Barrett is an obvious choice for captain. He should be kept hold of and all costs, as he will probably be very good for the Championship as well.

0,,10444~5725487,00.jpg

(Southend Captain: Adam Barrett)

On loan centre back Jean Yves-Mvoto (4/5 stars) is easily the best defender in the squad, as expect from a Sunderland loanee. He is very very dominant in the air and also very qucik for a League One centre back, so he should form a solid partnership with Barrett. As he is young, he isn't so great mentally but that is only a minor hitch.

Simon Francis, Osei Sankofa and Jean Francois Christophe can all play centre back, however, it is strongly recommended that you sign at least one other centre back as cover for Barrett and Yves-Mvoto.

First Choice: Adam Barrett and Jean Yves-Mvoto

Backup: Simon Francis, Osei Sankofa, Jean Franccois Christophe

Recommended Signing: Pele (Free), Mamadou Seck (Free), Dejan Stefanovic (Free), Gavin Hoyte (loan)

Centre Midfield

The strongest part of the squad, you have five quality central mid fielders at your disposal. The best of these is Alan McCormack (4/5 stars). Entering his prime, McCormack can pass, tackle and run with the ball. He has high influence and determination and is capable of dominating the midfield. However, he is lacking a bit of strength and fitness and is injury prone, so rotating him is key. He is a quality player.

0,,10444~3720505,00.jpg

Next up is on loan Chelsea midfielder Lee Sawyer (3.5/5 stars). Sawyer is very similar to McCormack in terms of stats as he can pass as well as tackle. He has more physical prowess than McCormck though and you should look to make full use of his loan spell at Southend.

The most creative midfielder in the squad is Frank Moussa (2.5 /5stars, potential 3.5/5 stars). He has very good pace and technical skills, and can also play on the left wing and just behind the striker.

We now move on to the more defensive side of midfield with Jean Francois-Christophe (3.5/5 stars). Christophe is a physical powerhouse and is an ideal defensive midfielder. He can also be used as a play maker if need be since he has good passing ability. Backup to him we have Anthony Grant (3/5 stars).

First Choice: Alan McCormack, Lee Sawyer, Jean Francois-Christophe

Backup: Anthony Grant, Frank Moussa

Recommended Signing: Nacer Barazite (Loan), Seyfo Soley (Free)

Wingers

In my opinion,this is the weakest area of the team with only two natural wingers in the squad. Damian Sannell (2/5 stars) is your first choice and isn't very good – he could do a job for you for a while. In the reserves, we have Stuart O'Keefe (1/5 star, potential 3.5/5 stars) who could be backup but certainly has bags of potential. He has the ability to play on the left wing and in the centre midfield. Francis Laurent can play on the right side as well.

The club has no left wingers, so if you want to play with wingers than it is recommended that you go and get some.

First Choice: Damian Scannell

Backup: Stuart O'Keefe

Promising Youngster: Stuart O'Keefe

Recommended Signing: Nacer Barazite (Loan)

Strikers

You have two very good strikers at your disposal, the best being former Spurs trainee Lee Barnard (3.5/5 stars). Barnard is an excellent finisher, can dribble, can head the ball, has some pace and strength. He is easily your best striker and will be vital for you in the upcoming season.

0,,10444~4244196,00.jpg

We have the ideal partner for Barnard in the form of Francis Laurent (2.5/5 stars) who is big and strong. His main strength is heading the ball and he can be used as a target man.

Backup for both strikers is the ever-green Dougie Freedman (2/5 stars), who could do a job for you however I do recommend signing another striker.

First Choice: Lee Barnard, Francis Laurent

Backup: Dougie Freedman

Recommended Signing: Willy Topp (Free)

Recommended Formations

4-1-3-2, 4-5-1 and 4-1-2-1-2

Summary

As a whole, the squad can certainly obtain a top half finish without any major hiccups but it does lack depth. With no money to spend, you must rely on loans and free transfers. Even then, I advise not to go crazy on freebies as the club must spend £29K per month paying back a chairman loan (until 2015) and £231K per month paying back a State Loan (until the 28th October 2009).

With a bit of luck and one or two quality signings, you might be able to push into the play offs. But do prepare to spend a an extra year in this league as there is a lot of quality competition for promotion spots this year.

Why Play as Southend?

With a thin squad, no money to spend and with teams like Southampton, Charlton, Norwich, Millwall, Colchester and Leeds, achieving promotion will be very difficult and will certainly be a challenge. With a new stadium next year and some quality players, you will be able to take Southend all the way to the promise land and make the club's history.

Added :thup:

I especially like the look of Willy Topp, would be a more than capable backup for Barnard.

I just got loan bids for Arsenal's Gavin Hoyte and Nacer Barazite accepted as well.

Also take a look at Seyfo Soley. Looks class.

Thought I'd post a quick update on my save. With promotion seemingly a difficult propasition this year, the start we made has certainly contradicted that. With 6 games played, we have managed to win all six, scoring 19 goals in the process. We are four points clear with a game in hand as well. The goals from Willy Topp and Lee Barnard, provided by the creativity of Lee Sawyer have given us such a great start. Promotion is a realistic target ff we reproduce results like this on a regular basis:

JustWow.jpg

Definitely. Southend have a squad capable of promotion in the first season I reckon, but will need some strengthening to do since the qaulity of League One has gone up since Norwhich and Charlton got relegated.

I imagine it would take two, maybe three years to get into the Premiership from the Championship. So about a minimum of three years.

Definitely. Southend have a squad capable of promotion in the first season I reckon, but will need some strengthening to do since the qaulity of League One has gone up since Norwhich and Charlton got relegated.

I imagine it would take two, maybe three years to get into the Premiership from the Championship. So about a minimum of three years.

Hmm, sounds good. What are the training and youth facilities like?

• 2 weeks later...

you have the recommended formations there, which one did people choose? I went for my own 4-4-2 with one of the central midfielders in the defensive mid position. Seems to work ok. 3 games in, 2 wins and a draw. Let in an injury time goal for the draw. Fans were not happy! Which is another part the game I love! Such better interaction with the fans and staff, really enjoying it!

How is everyone else doing so far??

I used a 4-1-3-2 in the demo. Was sitting clear at the top in November including an emphatic win over Leeds as the screenshot above shows. I based my tactics around the tough nature of the midfield with usually one creative player in McCormack or Moussa. The partnership of Willy Topp and Lee Barnard really worked a treat as well.

Haven't actually started one in the full game yet but will do soon. Possibly tomorrow.

I don't think Southend is as easy. Sawyer and Mvoto both go back after 6 months and i struggled with Defenders! Barret and Stefanovic both got injured in the second half of the season. I didn't have any pacey Centre Backs and this contributed to us slumping back down after the Jan period. I braught in a couple of players on 3 Month loans. But 2nd Season in League 1 is looking more successful at the moment. Couple of key purchases and we are looking a much better team. I've braught Bartley in one a Season long loan from Arsenal. His pace at the back is proving helpful. I've also got Brandy from Man Utd on a free transfer, his taking a while to settle in but is starting to use his pace upfront now. 2 new wingers in Orlandi and Hackett help O'Keefe and Moussa so they can have a break. Moussa has also played a couple of games in his natural MC Position.

We are 5 games into the 2nd Season and sitting 2nd in the league with 3 games won and 2 draws. 1 against Derby and the other against Stockport. We are looking a better side and i have real hope for us this year. Will keep you updated

Well.. We came 3rd... and Lost the playoff final to Doncaster. Not very happy about that one - but i got a bargain in bringing in Stuart Taylor and Dean Bouzanis (Both GK from Man City and Liverpool Respectivly) on Free Transfers. Bartley is also on his way to Fossets Farm along with some more Defenders. It was this area that let me down so i am trying to strengthen it. 3rd Season Lucky?

Is anyone else playing as Southend in the Full Game? I'd like to know how other people are getting on. If anyone else is, i really reccomend Febian Brandy - He has been amazing in my game!

Just started with southend! :thup:

I have been away on holiday so not been able to play much which is gutting but back now and getting going!

Played 15 games in the league, won 11, drawn 3, lost 1, scored 26, conceded 14. so rather happy with that one!! only 2nd though, MK Dons are 4 points ahead having won all but two games.

I managed 4th round of the league cup, went out to Hull, lost 3-2 at home to a last minute goal, was gutted. Through to the 2nd round of the f.a cup having just beat Norwich 4-3 away. Was a rather amazing game for the strikers! need to work on the defence though.

I did a lot of transfers at the start of the season, got in 13 players and got rid of 5. Got a big squad with some good depth, still lacking any amazing quality but on the whole the team works well. Best signings for me have been Houssain Ouhsaine Ouichou (free), Djamel Belmadi (free), Nicolae Mitea (free), Gokhan Tore (year loan, 0% wages) and Vratislav Gresko (free). Although Gresko went and did his cruciate ligaments in and is out for 8 months but in the first 7 games he set up 2 and had average rating of 7.28, not bad for a left back.

I did sell Frank Moussa, I was unsure at first because he has some great stats but with the players I got in I was happy to let him go, especially for 625k! I also sold stuart o'Keefe (200k), Damian Scannell (40k), Osei Sankofa (60k) and Johnny Herd (350k)

And before you go on about Johnny Herd, I managed to include a buy back price of 400k which means they can develop him and I can buy him back at the end of the season, ok a little loss but he is a good player.

So yeah thats whats happened so far! After this start I am hoping for promotion but this game will throw up some surprises I am sure, injuries, suspensions, ai working out my tactics etc. In truth at the start I set expectations at top-half finish but secretly aiming for play-offs so better get play-offs! Especially with Leeds in 13th, Charlton in 7th

Anyway I have chatted long enough, need to get back to the game, Johnstone's Paint Trophy quarter final! Might be a joke of a cup but will give the fans a great day out if we make it to Wembley!

I have been away on holiday so not been able to play much which is gutting but back now and getting going!

Played 15 games in the league, won 11, drawn 3, lost 1, scored 26, conceded 14. so rather happy with that one!! only 2nd though, MK Dons are 4 points ahead having won all but two games.

I managed 4th round of the league cup, went out to Hull, lost 3-2 at home to a last minute goal, was gutted. Through to the 2nd round of the f.a cup having just beat Norwich 4-3 away. Was a rather amazing game for the strikers! need to work on the defence though.

I did a lot of transfers at the start of the season, got in 13 players and got rid of 5. Got a big squad with some good depth, still lacking any amazing quality but on the whole the team works well. Best signings for me have been Houssain Ouhsaine Ouichou (free), Djamel Belmadi (free), Nicolae Mitea (free), Gokhan Tore (year loan, 0% wages) and Vratislav Gresko (free). Although Gresko went and did his cruciate ligaments in and is out for 8 months but in the first 7 games he set up 2 and had average rating of 7.28, not bad for a left back.

I did sell Frank Moussa, I was unsure at first because he has some great stats but with the players I got in I was happy to let him go, especially for 625k! I also sold stuart o'Keefe (200k), Damian Scannell (40k), Osei Sankofa (60k) and Johnny Herd (350k)

And before you go on about Johnny Herd, I managed to include a buy back price of 400k which means they can develop him and I can buy him back at the end of the season, ok a little loss but he is a good player.

So yeah thats whats happened so far! After this start I am hoping for promotion but this game will throw up some surprises I am sure, injuries, suspensions, ai working out my tactics etc. In truth at the start I set expectations at top-half finish but secretly aiming for play-offs so better get play-offs! Especially with Leeds in 13th, Charlton in 7th

Anyway I have chatted long enough, need to get back to the game, Johnstone's Paint Trophy quarter final! Might be a joke of a cup but will give the fans a great day out if we make it to Wembley!

Looking great so far! :thup:

It seems that the Southend team are quite good on FM10. I would've thought it'd be hearder in the league since you've got some qaulity teams above you but from my own and your experience, they seem to be very strong.

I suppose Herd isn't too great a loss considering you can get some quality left backs on a free. I did have him all the way to the Premiership last year though which was quite pleasing. The money is important unfortunately :(

In other news, I'll be starting up a game soon. About time I did, really.

Right, so I finally got cracking on a Southend game. I made the following signings:

OUTS:

Damian Scannel - £30K

Dougie Freedman - £10K

INS:

Willy Topp - Free

Seyfo Soley - Free

Richard Martini - Free

Vratislav Gresko - Free

We started off well in the league, beating Leyton Orient away 1-0. We followed up with a win in the League Cup 1st Round, beating Yeovil 3-0.

We drew 1-1 away to Walsall, and then beat Hartlepool 4-0 at home and then Gillingham 3-1 at home.

Then Middlesbrough rolled into two in the League Cup 2nd Round. We lost 1-0 but made a really good match out of it. Then came the away trip to Southampton...

5-0 down in 45 minutes. Team didn't turn up. I had players "looking complacement" after being told off at half time, which really made no sense to me. The game ended 5-2, and I can't work out how we just imploded like that.

Recently been promoted, after winning league one in my 1st season! Mifsud on free is a definate signing bagging, 29 goals in his 1st season! Beardsley is also another great free signing kicking francis to the bench. I also signed kinsella and stubhaug on a frees (looking like great prospects) although I relied mostly on loans, with Hoyte coming in, along with other lesser players who acted as cover for injured first team players. I didnt need to sign another left back, using barrett as cover when herd was injured or tired after a game. I won my 1st season with 86 points, relying on a last weekend win against southampton (who were 2nd in the table) to grab the win from themselves and leeds who managed to steal 2nd spot after the saints loss.

Ive just started my second season, with a 1-0 loss to Crystal palace in the league, a 4-1 win aginst hereford in the league cup and a 0-0 draw against doncaster (again in the league), my signings thus far have included, Louis Saha free, Tom Heaton free, Lee Sawyer free, Bridcutt free, Bertrand free, Simon Church 250k. Ive sold Betsy free, Mildenhall 26k, Joyce free, Stubhaug (loan), Morris (loan) and Walker (loan with a 40k buy clause).

UTB!

• 3 months later...

Ok... New Patch... New players, Good players Gone. Who's going to give our beloved Shrimpers another go? No Lee Barnard anymore, but with Patterson in for him. Still no cash so still having to work wonders but without the goals from our well known scoring machine. This could be interesting

Ok... New Patch... New players, Good players Gone. Who's going to give our beloved Shrimpers another go? No Lee Barnard anymore, but with Patterson in for him. Still no cash so still having to work wonders but without the goals from our well known scoring machine. This could be interesting

Well, not much love for Southend Utd! Ill give my hometown club a go!! I have a few ideas on players and tactics, anyone else giving them a go, would like to share views and stuff! Nice thread btw!!

Well... now i have time to start a game... im givin this a go as no one seems to want to try. With no decent natural wingers... i think i may go narrow. try and bring in some loans to boost the squad. Must be careful not to overdo the finances though

Well... as no one seems to be taking an interest... I'll still post my update... im now 13 Games into the league and im sitting 4th... Colchester are playing very well and have not lost a game yet. Ive lost 3 i think so far but its been good so far. I need to tighten up the defence but apart from that we have been good =]

I did have a save about six years in. I was just about surviving in my first year in the Premiership but due to certain issues with the patch I pretty much lost interest. I might start a new one soon, since it's more of a challenge this time round.

That reminds me, I'll have to edit the opening because of the 10.3 patch...

Thats true... Im at the Jan Point with the 10.3 patch now. I've braught in this forward called George Mourad. Also got Rhys Murphy on a season long loan. I braught Ayala in from liverpool for a 3 month long loan in Jan. im 3rd in the league with just 3 points seperating me from the top. Freedman has been impressive. Scored a lot this season!

I swear the injuries need looking at. I lose at least one player a game! Just little niggles keep them out for 2 weeks!! I've just lost Christophe and McCormack for 2 weeks!! I only have a decent midfielder now! This is so annoying when your trying to Chase Millwall and Colchester!!!

Well... thanks to the worst Ref in this league - we finished 7th! We were in 5th and 0-0 against Southampton would have seen us go for a play-off. Ref didnt see 3! Yes 3! blatant fouls in there penalty area... then let Barnard score a goal that was clearly offside!! How annoying!

Is anyone going to report on how there doing? So far im the only one telling people! 4-3-3 works well with southend. I play with one defensive mid to help my defenders and 2 more attacking midfielders. Seems to work well

Well... I didn't want to say anything this season... in case i messed it up. But with 5 games to go... I have successfully been promoted to the Championship!!! Brandy, Mourad, Patterson and Calver were amazing up front. With the help from Petrucci at the end :)

I dont think people are interested in a challenge! lol... It certainly has been that. I now have 6 players from my first team injured... im sat 13th so far. I just wanna stay up. I'll build on the squad and go for a play-off place if poss next year :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well... i thought i would give things a rest for a bit and have just come back... Anyone else played with Southend in this game yet? Anyone had more success than i have? Im sat 12th in the league and only 3 points from the play-offs. I dont think going to the Premier League would be a good idea this year. Build the squad a little more and i think next year would be good :)

Well... now into the 4th Season... We finished 8th and i was very happy with that! We braught in a couple of freebies and a couple of new players.

Team looks like this now

GK: Taylor (Chelsea)

RB: Darby (Liverpool)/ Francis

LB: Herd/ Dawson (Hull)

CB: Webster (Rangers)/Barrett

CB: Tozer (Newcastle)/ O' Lowry ( Villa)

DMC: Koke (Loan from Liverpool)

MC: Matic (Chelsea)/ Moussa

MC: Woods(Chelsea)/ Christophe

ST: Borja (At.Madrid)

ST: Calver

ST: Sanogo (On Loan from Man Utd)

First game of the season against Hull... Smashed them 4-0!! So happy!

I reckon this could be a good year hopefully :)

Ok... I seriously can't understand why people are not doing anything with Southend. Its been the most fun i have had with FM10. Im into Jan with them and sit 4th. Also only 3 points from 2nd. Its still very close at the top. Theres Reading, Bristol City, Middlesborough and Southend in the top 4. I was top of the table for a long time before Liverpool beat me in the League Cup. The team took it bad and we went on a bad run in the league. Fighting back now, we beat Everton in the FA Cup and just drew with Portsmouth to bring them back to Fossets Farm :)

I think 11 must be a record... but back to Southend and im actually nervous! Im top of the league with 1 game to go - Boro!

Wouldn't be a problem but the league looks like this:

1. Southend = 89 points

2. Boro = 89 points

3. Bristol City = 89 points

Bristol have been a pain all year. But could 2013 be the year Southend United get the holy grail and make it to the Premier League!!

Bristol are playing Nottingham Forest who are 5th... There going to want to do well too so that they can stay in the play-offs

Ooooooo God this is going to be nerve-wrecking!!

Ok... To set the scene. 5th Minute in Southend have a Corner, up steps Sonko in the penalty Area... Southend fans go nuts... its 1-0 Southend!!! Elsewhere, Forest have taken the lead at Bristol, Southend are going up! Playing Very well until the 9th minute when Saint to Sinner as Sonko misjudged the flight and allowed Emmes into to equalise, still happy... a draw will send us up still. 25th minute in Southend break the defence with Borja on 1 on 1 with Steele... Will he score? Damn right he will! 2-1 Southend and we're looking dangerous! Im at this point thinking, i'll settle to take this into half-time but Borja has other plans pouncing on a rebound! 3-1 at Half time! Im estatic and tell the team to keep up the good work. 51 minutes into the game and Macdonald picks up on another error in the defence. 3-2... This is how it stayed! Southend are now officially going to the PREMIER LEAGUE!!!

Well... All it took was a change of tactic and my god the improvement! After being smashed by Chelsea 5-0 and a run of 6 games lost... We only had 8 points in the league. Changed tactics and smashed Aston Villa 6-1. Then beat Blackburn 2-0 before Spurs 4-1. I suddenly feel a lot better about being in the Premier League and reckon we can survive and improve as our run goes on :) Who knows... European football next year?

Well after Portsmouth beat me thanks to a bad ref. Giving a goal that was offside and sending one of my defenders off for a player diving. Im back in the thick of a relegation battle with 3 games to go. Can we survive?

Well... I stayed up and im finding this difficult now. Ron Martin stepped aside and my new chairman is a tight ass!!! For a mid-table finish his given me 3m! Im gonna struggle. I've sold off a few players no longer needed and tried to get some wheeling and dealing done... but i feel im in for a real hard season now

• 2 weeks later...

Ok... Im seriously worried by the lack of talking in this Thread. People must be playing as Southend with the appeal they have! Guess my hometown just dont have any love :(

Well as an update for you. Im now into Feb 2015. Im sat in 11th and still pushing further in the league. Feel things might be going well even though my chairman is a Tight Fisted ... Calver is still looking good although im not playing him much as i have Spear, Borja and Djuric as my 3 strikers. Got a few Re-gens playing in the team now and im hoping that i can keep something like 11th for this year. Might push for Europe next year if it is possible. Depends on what my Chairman will give me for money then. Only problem i have is that people like Spurs are sniffing round people like Spence, Muneisa and Moussa. Dont know how much longer i would be able to keep them, although i did beat Spurs 3-0 :)

Archived