Ajax System for FM2011 onwards “AFC Ajax“ 1990s (Discussion)

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great thread Marz. Ive taken a few elements for my own tactic, a 3-5-2 (Wingbacks) flat MF trio. Playing in Brazil as Goias and conceded 5 in 26 games! Only one from open play. Mostly used your back three instructions and its rock solid. CHEERS!

That's pretty astonishing. Don't you want to post more about your tactic (in a separate thread)? I've never been able to make a 3-5-2 flat work correctly, especially defensively.

I think I will in the next few days, will probably post the tactic as well. Its not flat though, 3 x CB, RWB, LWB, 3 x CB, 2 x ST. Its not that potent on attack yet though. My CBl and CBr play as Ball Playing CB - Stopper and the Central CB plays as a Ball Playing CB - Defend. So he sits in behind mopping up anything the other two miss. I play Control Strategy as Default but usually have to change to attack as I dont make too many chances at times. Its ridiculous how good the defense has been as they arent even great players, normally I struggle on defense and excel on attack. #341 and #344 were extremely useful posts inthis thread. Any other questions just ask, and I'll get my tactic up soon!

Great thread Marz. Ive taken a few elements for my own tactic, a 3-5-2 (Wingbacks) flat MF trio. Playing in Brazil as Goias and conceded 5 in 26 games! Only one from open play. Mostly used your back three instructions and its rock solid. CHEERS!

Glad to have helped, but could you please post about formations/systems that are not about the Ajax System in another thread.

"They are going to be lengthy posts, not sure if I will just do them all together or in blocks. I’ll see when the start writing them (Thursday)." Sorry looks like I'll be banging my head between a rock and a hard place in the tactics feedback thread for FM12. But I'll try to get around to this as soon as possible. Although the BF3 beta is also around the corner, along with the FM12 demo.

Ah, too bad to hear that. When is the demo due? Sucks if they havent done any changes to the ME!

Demo is normally out just after the game goes gold. As for the ME, they always tweak it a little bit; so it’s not as if they don’t do anything.

Btw, ive finished my first real season with ajax (using a db matching the squad as of today). Won the league in a convincing fashion. Won Europa League, after almost getting knocked out by Rubin because of a 0-4 deafeat in russia. My team was massivly underperforming. Won the rematch with 5-0, i guess it was my convincing pre-match talk and all out offensive! Won the final on penalties against Napoli. So im pretty pretty pleased. :)

My starting XI was generally:

GK Timo Hildebrand(my intention was to play with the squad given, but Timo's agent offered him for free and i wasnt all to comfortable with Vermeen and PL-teams bouth Vertongen and Van Der Wiel early so had to make some purchases, young promising players ofc =) )

DCL Boilesen

DC Kara

DCR Alderweild

DMC Anit

MCR Jansen/Lodeiro

MCL De Jong

AMC Eriksen

AML Ebecillo

AMR Sulejmani

ST Sightorsson

Not planning to buy any players unless i get offers on starters i cant refuse.

All in all it's been a very funny season and im looking to bring this formation into FM 12 aswell

Sorry if it's all a bit messy.

DC

• 3 months later...

Hey guys - Been away for a bit but back now and finally up and running with FM12.

grimness & Marz: Have you started work on this system for '12 yet? I had a pretty effective system going on '11 so I've been looking at tweaking that recently.

Will let you know how I get on in due course.

Not yet. I have few saves going on which I might use for testing. I also have Cruzeiro save which is still on the first day and they have great staff and everything in place for having youth development game. Also Vitoria in Brazilian Serie B might be great starting point, with Cruzeiro IMO they have best starting coaches and scouts.

With Vitoria there isn't much pressure to succeed and promotion doesn't seem too hard by checking player abilities.

Brazil has tons of different formations to play against so it's nice challenge. Player pool is huge and one really important thing for me are wingers. Brazilian fullbacks are players with plenty of pace and they can dribble, cross and shoot. Everything you want from true winger. :D

Not yet. I have few saves going on which I might use for testing. I also have Cruzeiro save which is still on the first day and they have great staff and everything in place for having youth development game. Also Vitoria in Brazilian Serie B might be great starting point, with Cruzeiro IMO they have best starting coaches and scouts.

With Vitoria there isn't much pressure to succeed and promotion doesn't seem too hard by checking player abilities.

Brazil has tons of different formations to play against so it's nice challenge. Player pool is huge and one really important thing for me are wingers. Brazilian fullbacks are players with plenty of pace and they can dribble, cross and shoot. Everything you want from true winger. :D

Do you usually play in South America then? I've never played there before - always stick to Europe.

I'm thinking about who to start my career game as. Don't want to be Ajax as I would like to see how they progress under AI De Boer in-game.

Fairly confident I will stay in Holland though so may try as someone like AZ, Groningen etc.

I'll run a few test games tonight/tomorrow to determine who will be most compatible for a youth development game like yourself.

I enjoy Brazil, especially after trying MRT90's mod with state championships and youth cups. You can have 80 games per year if you grab the right club so you have to rotate a lot, which will give youngsters lots of games. Sometimes I have to change 10 players for the next game as you often get 2 matches in 3 days.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/279287-FM2012-MRT90-s-Brazilian-Real-Football-Pyramid

Also lots of talent for cheap as well as veterans with great mental stats. In previous FMs I always brought Ramon (now at Joinville) to Ajax.

I enjoy Brazil, especially after trying MRT90's mod with state championships and youth cups. You can have 80 games per year if you grab the right club so you have to rotate a lot, which will give youngsters lots of games. Sometimes I have to change 10 players for the next game as you often get 2 matches in 3 days.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/279287-FM2012-MRT90-s-Brazilian-Real-Football-Pyramid

Also lots of talent for cheap as well as veterans with great mental stats. In previous FMs I always brought Ramon (now at Joinville) to Ajax.

I remember Ramon. I've always looked to Brazil to secure my future no.10's.

I'll make sure I load the Brazilian leagues when I start my game up over the weekend.

Keep us updated with how your development of your career/the system is going. I have a base system from FM 11 that worked very well that I will look at adjusting to suit FM12/my new team.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been reading this topic every now and then and have been trying to make the Ajax system work in various versions of the game extensively. It seems to me that great progress has been made already, and one of the firmest results achieved is about the back three:

As mentioned many times, we will have to use a setup with fullbacks to provide an adequate buildup, three centerbacks won't succeed to provide enough width. To me, there seems to be no problem in getting them to 'squeeze', when set to tightly man-mark the opposing strikers. In some cases, i find them even squeezing to much, more on that later. As for now, considering the back three my only dilemma is to play with a sweeper or a covering CB (currently playing with a CB since the lack of sweepers in the game). A problem to me does occur when the team is in possession of the ball. Although the fullbacks have very defensive settings (low mentality, creative freedom, no runs from deep), they do tend to exploit the space in front of them on the flanks, when playing with MCl-MC-MCr, or MCl-MCr in midfield.

Im sure all of us have had problems with our 6's and 8's, it is very hard to have them play wide enough. We can achieve some results when tinkering with ppm's, mentality, CF, CD, and wideplay settings but the results have never been satisfying to me. They stick too much to the center of the pitch, when played correctly as controlling midfielders, the fullbacks will start overlapping them and the team loses it's shape (Van Gaal didn't want players to overlap, like modern wingbacks do. Each line had to stay behind the one in front of it, to regain posession when lost, and to maintain the shape of the team).

Another problem to solve in this tactic is the backtracking of opposing widemidfielders or wingers. This can be achieved by having the 6 and 8 on tightly man-marking them, too me, this also achieves only mediocre results.

A way to handle the problems mentioned above, is placing the 6 and 8 in the widemidfielder slots. Widemidfielders seem to block the fullbacks, they won't venture forward so much. When set to roam, and cut inside, they will step a bit into the center of midfield. While the backtracking and width problems are instantaniously solved, but might merely be replaced with far more severe problems. The widemidfielder slot might be too wide for our purposes, and in attack, the widemidfielder might act as a winger, which is not what we want him to do.

Although I admit that the new problems aren't easily to solved either, I do think we can come closer to the original Ajax style with this approach. With the width this approach provides in midfield, we can finally have our 6's and 8's effictively switch pocession from side to side, opening up new spaces to attack. When played as central midfielders, we can't mimic this aspect of the '95 team. Secondly, our widemidfielders, when properly adjusted, will stay behind the wingers to regain posession when lost, and to provide the wingers from through-balls into space, as Van Gaal instructed them to. Finally, this setup will have the team staying beautifully in shape, providing both a defensive and offensive advantage. It takes a lot of tinkering on the various settings to have the widemidfielders behave correctly, but i think it can be done. Im planning to present the tactic im very satisfied with soon in an extensive and appropriate post, but this will take some time. For now a lovely result in the first european game of the second season:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sjy19kkq93mhw3c

http://www.mediafire.com/?8wyv81g5v9q28q7

Now I've been trying to develop something similar in FM 10. I'm having an issue with my defense. I am using FBs, a DC, and a DM. My problem is that the opposition are constantly exploiting the space between the FBs and the DC. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

• 1 month later...
I have not bought FM12. No tactical improvement for last few FM releases, so I voted with my wallet this time. I'll still be around though. :)

Are you still playing FM11 Marz?

As grimness said the ME is very similar to FM11, so all I've done is tweak my tactic from last year to work for FM12. Not much tweaking needed either.

Archived