FM10: Official Manchester United Thread - Rooney's the main man

jonahno6

Welcome to the FM10 Manchester United thread.

man-utd-crest.jpg

ManchesterUnitedBadge.jpg

A brief history;

ManchesterUnitedBadge.jpg

Manchester United Football Club is an English football club, based at Old Trafford in Trafford, Greater Manchester, and is one of the most popular football clubs in the world. The club was a founding member of the Premier League in 1992, and has played in the top division of English football since 1938, with the exception of the 1974–75 season. Average attendances at the club have been higher than any other team in English football for all but six seasons since 1964–65.

Manchester United are the reigning English champions and Club World Cup holders, having won the 2008–09 Premier League and the 2008 FIFA Club World Cup. The club is one of the most successful in the history of English football and has won 22 major honours since Alex Ferguson became manager in November 1986. In 1968, they became the first English club to win the European Cup, beating Benfica 4–1. They won a second European Cup as part of a Treble in 1999, before winning their third in 2008. The club holds the joint record for the most English league titles with 18 and also holds the record for the most FA Cup wins with 11.

Since the late 1990s, the club has been one of the richest in the world with the highest revenue of any football club, and is currently ranked as the richest and most valuable club in any sport, with an estimated value of around £1.136 billion (€1.319 billion / $1.870 billion) as of April 2009. Manchester United was a founding member of the now defunct G-14 group of Europe's leading football clubs, and its replacement, the European Club Association.

Alex Ferguson has been manager of the club since 6 November 1986, joining from Aberdeen after the departure of Ron Atkinson. The current club captain is Gary Neville, who succeeded Roy Keane in November 2005.

Football Manager Info

Nation - England

Year Founded - 1878

Status - Professional

Reputation - Wordwide

Chairman Status - Loves the club

Legends – Alex Ferguson, Roy Keane, Bryan Robson, Sir Bobby Charlton, Ryan Giggs, Duncan Edwards, Dennis Law, Sir Matt Busby, George Best, Eric Cantona

Icons – Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Paul Scholes, Steve Bruce, Gary Neville, Mark Hughes, Brain Kidd, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Peter Schmeichel, David Beckham

Favoured Personnel – Wayne Rooney, Brain McClair, Nicky Butt, Phil Neville, Cristiano Ronaldo

Fierce Rivals - Liverpool, Man City, Leeds

Other Rivals - Arsenal, Bolton, Chelsea

Finances - Secure

Average Ticket Price - £39.00

Average Season Ticket Price - £730

Season Ticket Holders - 58349

Estimated Value - £362million (Loan Debt: £692million)

Continental Competition - European Champions Cup

Media Prediction - 1st

Stadium - Old Trafford (Manchester, 76,212 all seater)

Training Facilities - Top training facilities

Youth Facilities - State of the Art + Youth Academy

Transfer Budget - £60mil for Title Challenge, £74mil for Winner

kits.jpg

Squad

1. Edwin Van der Sar

13. Ben Foster

29. Tomasz Kuszczak

2. Gary Neville

3. Patrice Evra

5. Rio Ferdinand

6. Wes Brown

15. Nemana Vidic

20. Fabio

21. Rafael

22. John O'Shea

23. Jonny Evans

4. Owen Hargreaves

8. Anderson

11. Ryan Giggs

13. Park Ji-Sung

14. Zoran Tosic

16. Michael Carrick

17. Nani

18. Paul Scholes

24. Darren Flecther

25. Antonio Valencia

26. Gabriel Obertan

28. Darron Gibson

7. Michael Owen

9. Dimitar Berbatov

10. Wayne Rooney

19. Danny Welbeck

27. Federico Macheda

Squad Analysis

Goalkeeper

Certainly not the best area in the squad, but definitely not the worst. In the squad there is Edwin Van der Sar, who is more than capable for the first season, Ben Foster, probably the best back up out of the 2, and Tomasz Kuszszcak, who I personally recommend that you sell. There is no reason to buy another keeper in the first season as Van der Sar is good enough. Ben Foster will probably be good enough for the second season, however I recommend that a young, talented keeper is brought in for the later seasons. Someone like Akinfeev would be perfect.

Potential Buys - Hugo Lloris (£20 Million), Igor Akinfeev (£20 Million)

Youth Option - Alphonse Areola (£100k)

Full backs

Here you have one of the best full backs on the game, Patrice Evra. You also have the young Fabio as back up and a eventual replacement, according to coach reports. There is no need for investment in the left back area. However at right back, you have the ageing Neville. Wes Brown, who is naturally a CB, John O'Shea and the under developed Rafael. While there is enough to cover you, none are of enough quality in my opinion, bar Rafael, who has the potential to be great RB. I suggest investing in a new RB, Rafinha and Jerome Boateng are good enough

Potential Buys - Rafinha (£13 Million), Jerome Boateng (£15 Million)

Youth Option - N/A - You have Fabio and Rafael

Centre Backs

A really strong area of the squad. It consists of arguably two of the best CBs in the game, Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand. They should start most games for you. There is great cover in Jonny Evans, a ready made replacement for either of Vidic or Ferdinand, Wes Brown and John O'Shea. All are more than capable of playing CB for Man Utd. No need for investment here in the early seasons.

Potential Buys - Cristian Chivu (£25 Million), Mamadou Sakoo (£12 Million)

Youth Option - Mamadou Sakho (£12 Million), Nicolas Otamendi (£3 Million)

Wingers

The winger area for Manchester United is obviously not as strong as it once was, this down to the lack of a certain 'Ronaldo'. While Valencia and Nani have ability, it isn't ability to play at the highest level. Tosic can become a good back up with training. Park, in my opinion, is just not good enough, I recommend getting rid of him. Bringing in a new winger should be one of your highest priorities. I personally brought in David Silva, and I suggest the same. However people like Ribery and Silva could be available at the right price. Hatem Ben Arfa and Ashley Young are good options.

Potential Buys - David Silva (£28 Million), Franck Ribery (£30 Million?)

Youth Option - N/A - Tosic, Obertan and even Nani are good enough.

Centre Midfield

Another strong area of the squad. Consisting of Carrick, Hargreaves, Anderson, Fletcher and Scholes. I recommend using Carrick, and when he's fit Hargreaves. Hargreaves should be used as the more defensive one, and Carrick the more attacking. Scholes offers great experience and quality when called upon. Fletcher is also first team quality, as is Anderson who has potential to be a consistent starter, so they provide great depth and certainly should be kept. However the CM lacks a world class player, someone like De Rossi or Toulalan would end that.

Potential Buys - Danielle De Rossi (£25 Million)

Youth Option - Sandro (£11 Million), Axel Witsel (£10 Million?)

Strikers

With Rooney and Berbatov you have 2 top quality strikers who will score many goals in the first few seasons. There is also Michael Owen who will also score goals, whether he's starting or coming off the bench. In the reserves there is some fantastic potential, Petrucci, Welbeck and Macheda all have the ability, if trained well and given experience, that they can all become future Man Utd starters. There is no need to buy a new young striker. But if you'd like to bring in a first team striker, Rossi is a great option.

Potential Buys - Giuseppe Rossi (£13 Million), Edin Dzeko (£15 Million)

Youth Option - N/A You have Welbeck, Macheda and Petrucci

Promising Youngsters

Ravel Morrison

Federico Macheda

Danny Welbeck

Fabio

Rafael

Adem Ljajic

Davide Petrucci

Here is the best talent at the club, but I can't really talk about how well they turn out, because we're only on the demo. But I can confirm that all these players have a PA of *SPOILER*

There is also people like Tosic, Evans and Obertan who can become Manchester United quality.

Starting XI and Formation

I personally think the best formation for Manchester United, is a simple 4-4-2, with natural wingers.

I also recommend this Starting XI

Team instructions are entirley down to you, and how you want to play. I personally like to play with short passing, and a slow tempo. This allows me to keep the ball for long amounts of time, and wait for the perfect chance to slip the strikers through. But that's just me.

In Conclusion

Winning the title in your first season is definitely a target you should be meeting. You have a squad which is good enough with a few additons. My recommendation is to bring in a new RB (I got Rafinha), and new winger (I got Silva), and then it's your decision whether you want to strengthen elsewhere. Goalkeeper, CM, and ST could be improved with the money. (The only other player I bought was Rossi)

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Little competition for you lot, I'll keep track of this and update weekly.

Special

First to win all 6 trophies in one season - RickyButton (Page 15)

Team

Most goals scored in one game -

Most goals scored in one season - 91 goals, RickyButton

Most points in one season -

Most games in a row -

Fastest goal scored - Federico Macheda, 12 Seconds - jonahno6

Fastest goal conceded -

Largest goal difference at end of season - +71, Ricky Button

Most players in England squad -

Players

Most goals scored in one game - Wayne Rooney, 6 goals - bjoggi33

Most goals scored in one season -

Most assists in one game -

Most assists in one season -

Most MotM awards in one season -

Youngest league goalscorer -

Transfers

Most spent on one player -

Most received for one player -

Most spent over one season -

Credit goes to Arsenal_211 for the idea.

Yeah, right back and left midfield are the key areas. Then probably a keeper for the 2nd season.

I've just bought Mata on the demo. Lost 3-2 to Chelsea in the Community Shield, they bought Cassano and he scored a hatrick for them.

Everyone's brilliantly rated. The first time I agree with the United ratings, although I would've given Wayne better Technique/passing and slightly lower finishing.

Carrick and Fletcher please me this version.

Any updates on the potential of the younger reds? Morrison / Fabio / Rafael / Obertan / Pogba / Ljajic / Possebon / Petrucci / Josh King / Eikrem and anyone else I may have forgotten?

Edit: Damn, I forgot about Danny!

Edit2: Damn, I forgot to mention it, Foster's rating is completely wrong! He's excellent at One on ones and reflexes and **** at communication, aerial ability and command of area. The ratings are completely reversed, although I'm not complaining..

Hi, good OP and a very good read and squad analysis in my opinion.

I always start my first FM save as Man Utd as they are the team i support. intrigued to know how much you guys paid for Silva, Mata, Srna and Dzeko on the game.

I managed to get in Vargas for £8m for left midfield (he was class on FM09) which is good business in my eyes. although the demo di id not want to ***** loads of money on big transfers until i am aware of how much money the club loses each month (i am only about a week into the demo as did not get back from football until late last night).

anyway if you would not mind letting me know how much you paid for the players as it may change my opinion of course on who to buy (especially dzeko as i like the look of him).

cheers

so far so good for me

michael owen has scored 5 goals in the 3 games ive played him and berbatov so far 1 he not even playing particularly good

ive brought

juan manuel vargas £8 million who so far has been playing very good setting up plenty goals

sergio aguero £52 million which looking back now proberly shoulda waited a season since transfer window now closed and was unable to get a deal for berbatov

miguel veloso £12 million

sold

park ji sung £8 million

and got loan fee of just under £700k for kuszczak

so far ive played 7 games and only lost 1 which was to everton thanks to vidic being sent off

im also glad at darren fletcher new stats they are i would say pretty good

so far so good for me

michael owen has scored 5 goals in the 3 games ive played him and berbatov so far 1 he not even playing particularly good

ive brought

juan manuel vargas £8 million who so far has been playing very good setting up plenty goals

sergio aguero £52 million which looking back now proberly shoulda waited a season since transfer window now closed and was unable to get a deal for berbatov

miguel veloso £12 million

sold

park ji sung £8 million

and got loan fee of just under £700k for kuszczak

so far ive played 7 games and only lost 1 which was to everton thanks to vidic being sent off

im also glad at darren fletcher new stats they are i would say pretty good

Some nice transfers there. Vargas looks a great player, and is a great buy for LM. Again Veloso is good buy, he looks really good on FM10, should dominate the midfield. Aguero is a good buy, ok, you over paid, but Aguero is a fantastic player, and you have to pay big for the best. He will score goals.

On a personal note, here are my transfers.

In:

David Silva - Valencia - £28 Million

Giuseppe Rossi - Villarreal - £12.75 Million

Rafinha - Schalke - £12.5 Million

Out:

Park Ji-Sung - Sunderland - £6 Million

John O'Shea - Valencia - £6.5 Million

Tomasz Kuszczak - Atletico - £500 loan fee, with a view to buy for £5 Million.

Results

Decent start to the league, winning 3, drawing 1, and losing 1. But things are looking up now Rooney and Berbatov are coming back from injury. Also won in the CL against Standard. My group is as followed;

Manchester United

Juventus

Stuttgart

Standard

Quite tough imo.

Squad

Really happy with it atm, really good strength in depth.

Some nice transfers there. Vargas looks a great player, and is a great buy for LM. Again Veloso is good buy, he looks really good on FM10, should dominate the midfield. Aguero is a good buy, ok, you over paid, but Aguero is a fantastic player, and you have to pay big for the best. He will score goals.

On a personal note, here are my transfers.

In:

David Silva - Valencia - £28 Million

Giuseppe Rossi - Villarreal - £12.75 Million

Rafinha - Schalke - £12.5 Million

Out:

Park Ji-Sung - Sunderland - £6 Million

John O'Shea - Valencia - £6.5 Million

Tomasz Kuszczak - Atletico - £500 loan fee, with a view to buy for £5 Million.

Results

Decent start to the league, winning 3, drawing 1, and losing 1. But things are looking up now Rooney and Berbatov are coming back from injury. Also won in the CL against Standard. My group is as followed;

Manchester United

Juventus

Stuttgart

Standard

Quite tough imo.

Squad

Really happy with it atm, really good strength in depth.

i tried to sign silva but even after offering £40 million they still having none off it but this is just mess around ill prob redo another demo as man utd once im use to everything

Just started the demo, had bids accepted for the following players:

Dzeko 14.75m-Do i really need a striker? Wolud love to see how good he is for Utd though.

Silva 27m-Just wanted to see the lowest price Valencia would accept. Possibly a bit pricey but i could do with a player like him.

De Rossi 35m-Surely very over-priced but would give the midfield a worldclass player.

Hamsik 11m-One for the future or should i go all out and spend big on De Rossi, who is still on 25?

What do you guys reckon? I really need a Ronaldo-esque replacement/attacking midfielder but can't really find anyone i like for the right price. Any ideas?

Nice OP mate, was interested in seeing what the Man United squad looked like so appreciate you putting the screenies up! I plan on starting with United on the demo at the weekend, spend all my transfer budget on players and then when the game comes out I'll play to develop the youth in the team, because it looks like there are some definate United class players coming through.

Flicking through the screenies I think Valencia is physically under-rated. Pace and accel is fine but balance, agility and strength should probably be higher.

Mighty Shrimper

Rossi has got off to a good start for me, in 5 games, he has scored 2 and set up 3, seems very lively and creative. Rafinha has also been solid, done his job, also got 2 assists.

tornmean9

For Silva, I originally offered £18 Million, they came back with £32 Million, I then offered £28 Million and they accepted.

ab328

Get Silva, perfect player to replace Ronaldo, he's got it all, fast, good dribbler, and a good finisher. Out of the other 3, I would say get Dzeko, however it depends on how much you plan to bleed the youngsters into the first team. But 4 top quality strikers is always good. Between De Rossi and Hamsik, I would say Hamsik, cheaper, not as good yet, however he's only 22 and has time. he should be great in the middle of the park. However, if you want that world class player, you can't go wrong with De Rossi.

But 28m for Silva? Wouldn't you say its a bit pricey? I guess it's only the demo though....

Considering his age, ability, and what his price was in FM09. I was really happy to spend £28 Million on him. Doubt there is much better than him around.

Mighty Shrimper

Rossi has got off to a good start for me, in 5 games, he has scored 2 and set up 3, seems very lively and creative. Rafinha has also been solid, done his job, also got 2 assists.

tornmean9

For Silva, I originally offered £18 Million, they came back with £32 Million, I then offered £28 Million and they accepted.

ab328

Get Silva, perfect player to replace Ronaldo, he's got it all, fast, good dribbler, and a good finisher. Out of the other 3, I would say get Dzeko, however it depends on how much you plan to bleed the youngsters into the first team. But 4 top quality strikers is always good. Between De Rossi and Hamsik, I would say Hamsik, cheaper, not as good yet, however he's only 22 and has time. he should be great in the middle of the park. However, if you want that world class player, you can't go wrong with De Rossi.

do you play silva on the right side of midfield then or left midfield. if so who plays on the other wing for you?

jonahno6

How is Rossi for you? Thinking of getting him to rotate with Berbatov (good price by the way).

And Rafinha?

MZizzle2

How is Srna for you? It's between him and Rafinha for my DR spot.

tommean9

How is Vargas for you? £8m looks like a steal.

vargas is really good for me well worth £8m

I've had a disasterous start to my season.

Losing 4-1 to City at home :(

Followed by a draw with Sunderland at home :(

I have got a bit of an injury crisis though, Rio, Vidic, Brown and Evans were all out which didnt help.

I've signed Mata who seems to be good so far. I'm definatly going for a right back now.

What does everyone else do with their demo save? I usually start a new save when the full game comes out.

I've had a disasterous start to my season.

Losing 4-1 to City at home :(

Followed by a draw with Sunderland at home :(

I have got a bit of an injury crisis though, Rio, Vidic, Brown and Evans were all out which didnt help.

I've signed Mata who seems to be good so far. I'm definatly going for a right back now.

What does everyone else do with their demo save? I usually start a new save when the full game comes out.

same i always start a new game with full game so i can load other countrys

Archived