One thing I've noticed so far

William Gallas, John Terry, Rio Ferdinand etc all fancy themselves as strikers far too much for my liking I've seen them up front in normal attacks which has been a bit amusing.

But mainly, and whilst I shouldn't really complain, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd and Man City have all treated my Stoke side as a complete non-entity in the premiership. I've been able to get draws with Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City whilst still tactically a novice on this game because they were all sending out far, far understrength sides. Arsenal started the likes of Traore, Ramsey, Vela and Senderos against me who are only playing against the others like Burnley, Wolves etc. Man City started with players like Onuoha and Zabaleta as well as some others who aren't regulars.

It does seem as though all the big sides are sending out their fringe players against the weaker squads in the league, if it was a cup game I could understand, but when playing me Arsenal and Man City were already chasing league leaders Chelsea and Man City and needed the points so they do seem to undervalue some opponents.

Isn't a major point, and I can understand why Chelsea and Man Utd did it as they're comfortably top of the league at the moment, I've got liverpool next so it will be interesting to see if they (currently 7th) also send out a diminshed squad.

Liverpool also sent out the likes of Insua, an unfit Aquilani, Benayoun, and dropped Mascherano to play Agger out of position and putting Babel on the bench for the sparsely used Riera, and they only just scraped a 1-0 win thanks to a disallowed goal. Liverpool already 14 points off of Chelsea so they should have fielded a full strength side to avoid slip ups really I would have thought.

That aside, would like to say I'm enjoying this game immeasurably I just feel so far the top 4/5 are taking it too easy against Stoke's of the premiership. Liverpool have drawn with Hull (twice), Birmingham, Sunderland and Wolves and lost to Blackburn by failing to play full-strength teams in these games.

Guest Alex_Bell

Eerily similar to last season you might argue

Liverpool 0 - Stoke 0

Liverpool 0 - Fulham 0

Liverpool 0 - West Ham 0

Liverpool 2 - Hull 2

It's not the results thats the problem, but the fact that they're all sending out sides missing 3/4/5 strong players just because of the teams reputation it would seem. When we drew with Liverpool in both games last season, they were dropping Mascherano to get players a bit of match fitness after an injury.

Arsenal didn't come to the Brit lining up with Vela as the single forward and Ramsey in the place of Fabregas. They're treating it more like cup games where these selections are understandable and reasonable.

I'll upload the save in the morning, and be a bit more precise with the kinds of games its happening. The teams are still coming through the games at times with wins, but in the case of Liverpool and Arsenal they're already playing catch-up and sending out weak teams when at present they'll struggle to make the top 4 because Tottenham are sending out a full-strength team against the likes of Burnley etc.

Do I read this correctly AI managers use squad rotation tactics finally and your angry?

or your angry because it can mess things up in the long run like 1 game to go, say arsenal needing a draw away to stoke to win the league, and because stoke is a lower reputation team then the most in the premier league they put their reserves and youth player's on field hence loosing 1-0 and loosing the league in the final day ....... well this would be a major issue for me as well it would mess up the long saves....

but i like the thought that the AI uses it's full squad and not only 13-16 players constantly in every game.

Do I read this correctly AI managers use squad rotation tactics finally and your angry?

or your angry because it can mess things up in the long run like 1 game to go, say arsenal needing a draw away to stoke to win the league, and because stoke is a lower reputation team then the most in the premier league they put their reserves and youth player's on field hence loosing 1-0 and loosing the league in the final day ....... well this would be a major issue for me as well it would mess up the long saves....

but i like the thought that the AI uses it's full squad and not only 13-16 players constantly in every game.

I can understand that, but when you're 10 - 15 points off the top of the league in November and need to pick up as many points as possible and you aren't even in the top 6 in liverpools case, would you drop Mascherano against Stoke/Hull/Burnley/Birmingham to play an unfit Aquilani and drop another to play again, an unfit Agger out of position.

Liverpool come January had already thrown away 4/5 games by dropping too many first team players. They still came out of the game against me and Burnley with something with diminished squads but Arsenal weren't so fortunate. The funny thing is, whilst Chelsea and Man Utd do it, they do it far less than Arsenal and Liverpool and are comfortably at the top of the league - they do it as you'd expect, an easy game coming up give 1 or 2 a game with the big guns on the bench.

Arsenal were 5th or 6th when I played them, they drop Van Persie, Eduaro, Fabregas and Clichy from the squad entirely, as well as putting Vermaelen on the bench. I'm not angry about it, as I said I probably shouldn't complain but after 10 - 15 games if/when Liverpool/Arsenal are chasing a rather substantial deficit and they're dropping 5 first team players for games against the sides you'd expect in the bottom 8 or so of the league then you'd have to question whether Wenger and Benitez were still all there.

It's a subjective issue I know, it's just with not much orientation of the tactics in this game, I've been pretty close to taking scalps of some big clubs because they were effectively sending out teams far too weak.

First 1 - 10 games you can understand it happening and from 30 - 38 you can understand it happening, but as I said once your side is chasing 10 - 15 points in the league, and in the case of liverpool champions league qualification is the only thing pretty much keeping you afloat in this game it defies logic lol.

Well, because of only getting to play half a season we don't get to see the full effect of this decision. But if it turns out as it currently is, and Liverpool & Arsenal miss out on the CL because of undervaluing the premiership then I think it would be agreeable they are making some mistakes. Arsenal are currently 9 points off top in 6th, and Cheslea who are top on 46 points have a game in hand. I'll hold off putting it in the bug forums until the full game is out and can finish this season, considering I always play as Stoke obviously its something I can live with, but when I get to the top I don't want my competition throwing it away lol.

considering I always play as Stoke obviously its something I can live with, but when I get to the top I don't want my competition throwing it away lol.

As i mentioned this is my biggest concern also, if this won't happen then truly a very welcomed feature :thup:

I think something for future versions that really would spice the game up in terms of realism would be if the media picked up on this. Eg. in the post-match press conference you might be asked if you felt your opponent had underestimated you (or vice versa if you were the one rotating your squad and losing points).

Imagine fielding a weakened squad and losing points; the fans are upset because they feel you should beat them, the media are claiming the squad isn't strong enough and you've got to make a statement. Do you say the game was a one-off and that you'll beat the next lowly team (i.e. keep faith in your players and please your fans but crank up the expectation levels)? Do you complain about lack of strength in depth and/or a congested fixture list (i.e. the opposite)?

It would take a hell of a lot of time to implement, but I'd love to see a bigger degree of immersion when it comes to developing your character as a manager. At the moment I tend to buy players who'll fit into my team's mentality ("determined", "ambitious", etc.) but if you were constantly faced with questions about your rotation policy, the strength in depth, your results against lesser opponents, etc. you would be forced to assemble a team of grafters, flamboyant players or whatever depending on how you dealt with adversity.

Sorry to bring this slightly off-topic but I reckon a lot of the irregularities in the game would be appreciated instead of complained about if the media pick up on them.

All credit to SI where I'm sitting at the moment for how they've improved the media regarding player signings. There is only so much they can do each year, so I expect one day in the future there will be something like this in it. When signing Ronaldo and Beckham I had a whole host of questions relating to their past experience, fitness concerns regarding Ronaldo and his contract length etc.

But there is some good stuff in there pertaining this issue and could be nice in the future - but I suspect it may come down to some manager stats why it is happening at the moment. Wenger is known for giving young players a chance, and he seems to be giving them plenty of chances in the wrong games.

I've played Chelsea and Man City so far and they played strong teams out against me. Wish they did start with a weaker side though :p

49017316.jpg

Rafa at Liverpool is forever rotating players and resting is big players against smaller teams, Although he his not as crazy about is rotating anymore.

Maybe they had Champions League games coming up. In real life if the big 4 are playing each other in the next game then they sometimes rest players in the game before if its against a team in the bottom half of the table.

Archived