FM10 Portsmouth Thread

Sheer Class

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

October Update.

This was going to be a tough month after doing so well the previous with some nasty matches to play.

First game was the visit to Man City who were suprisingly only 8th going into the match and I had a little inkling I might be able to get something from this match. Ben Haim gave me early hope of this fact when he scored a header from a corner. Unfortunately Toure returned the complement 10 minutes later to level things up. Despite Man City having so much of the play my defence was resolute and I felt that I might have to shore up as it was only going to be a matter of time before I conceeded again. Taking off Dindane and replacing him with Yebda and switching to playing 2 DMC it seemed to work. I cut down the chances. With 2 minutes to go Van Nistlerooy had the ball in the net but it was rules out for offiside. 1-1 it finished and I was happy.

Following this and an international break was a very nasty trip to Liverpool. Having seenmy defensive ploy do so well against Man City I started with 2 DMC but the formidable Torres stil lbroke through and scored in the 30th minute. Early in the second half Van Nistlerooy got a poachers effort equaliser latching on to a very long ball from Belhadj. I hoped to sit back and get a second great draw but Steve Gerrard had other ideas and got a scrappy tap in to seal the win for Liverpool.

My third game was home to the league leaders Chelsea who were dispatching teams left right and centre. We were to be no obstacle for them and Pazzini and Mikel tore us apart to put the score at 3-0 by half time. I decided to go hell for leather and let loose in the second half, and although we probably had the better of the play we just couldn't score.....But Terry and Cole could leaving a rather embarassing 5-0 home defeat on the cards.

The final game of the month was home to Burnley who were ina siumilar league position to us. Things looked bad when Robbie Blake put Burnley 1 up after 20 minutes but a Van Nistlerooy equaliser straight from the restart help calm things down. Ben Haim scored again from a headed corner to help us go in 2-1 up at half time. After Dindane took a knock early in the second half I swapped him for Smolerek and he proved worthy of a rare appearance with a sweet solo goal dribbling for the half way line.

So after 2 months I was sat in 15th place:

P12 W3 D4 L5 F14 A23 Pts13

The board though are getting itchy. Will I have a November update????

The debts will be cleared soon enough!

Arab billionaire = Money

Your new owner even said to Hart he was getting a big budget in January before the ban went underway

We are going on real life situations!

I will believe it when January comes. I am far more happy with my finacial struggle then I was previous years with money to spend.

October Update.

This was going to be a tough month after doing so well the previous with some nasty matches to play.

First game was the visit to Man City who were suprisingly only 8th going into the match and I had a little inkling I might be able to get something from this match. Ben Haim gave me early hope of this fact when he scored a header from a corner. Unfortunately Toure returned the complement 10 minutes later to level things up. Despite Man City having so much of the play my defence was resolute and I felt that I might have to shore up as it was only going to be a matter of time before I conceeded again. Taking off Dindane and replacing him with Yebda and switching to playing 2 DMC it seemed to work. I cut down the chances. With 2 minutes to go Van Nistlerooy had the ball in the net but it was rules out for offiside. 1-1 it finished and I was happy.

Following this and an international break was a very nasty trip to Liverpool. Having seenmy defensive ploy do so well against Man City I started with 2 DMC but the formidable Torres stil lbroke through and scored in the 30th minute. Early in the second half Van Nistlerooy got a poachers effort equaliser latching on to a very long ball from Belhadj. I hoped to sit back and get a second great draw but Steve Gerrard had other ideas and got a scrappy tap in to seal the win for Liverpool.

My third game was home to the league leaders Chelsea who were dispatching teams left right and centre. We were to be no obstacle for them and Pazzini and Mikel tore us apart to put the score at 3-0 by half time. I decided to go hell for leather and let loose in the second half, and although we probably had the better of the play we just couldn't score.....But Terry and Cole could leaving a rather embarassing 5-0 home defeat on the cards.

The final game of the month was home to Burnley who were ina siumilar league position to us. Things looked bad when Robbie Blake put Burnley 1 up after 20 minutes but a Van Nistlerooy equaliser straight from the restart help calm things down. Ben Haim scored again from a headed corner to help us go in 2-1 up at half time. After Dindane took a knock early in the second half I swapped him for Smolerek and he proved worthy of a rare appearance with a sweet solo goal dribbling for the half way line.

So after 2 months I was sat in 15th place:

P12 W3 D4 L5 F14 A23 Pts13

The board though are getting itchy. Will I have a November update????

Brilliant :D Someone that is playing the game properly and not editing money in!

You seem to be doing well-ish with the squad we have mate, Hat off to you!

RvN seems to be doing awesome for you btw, may look into him myself :)

15th place isn't too bad, how many points safe are you?

Brilliant :D Someone that is playing the game properly and not editing money in!

You seem to be doing well-ish with the squad we have mate, Hat off to you!

RvN seems to be doing awesome for you btw, may look into him myself :)

15th place isn't too bad, how many points safe are you?

Only 3 points for now. :( A bad defeat and other results and I am in the drop zone.

Survived one november match but it was a defeat.....next up home to Judas himself :D

Okay that unnecessary. Totally ruins any sort of realism the game has had.
Only 3 points for now. :( A bad defeat and other results and I am in the drop zone.

Survived one november match but it was a defeat.....next up home to Judas himself :D

you have very good players in your team but doing very bad

you have very good players in your team but doing very bad

He has done the game properly though, he has used the £0 budget and not given himself stupid amounts of money to buy players Portsmouth simply cannot afford.

how are you doing in your pompey save ??

I'm going to do my game analysis and update at the end of each season. May possibly do one at January.

January Update:

No budjet adjustements or any of that.

Sold a couple, got beletti and deco on loan.

pld wn drn lst

23 6 8 9

my tactic seems to be shaping up a little more after a VERY shaky start to the season. got 5 emails about how i was about to get the sack!

Didn't know you could get Deco on loan :) Do you pay all wages or a percentage?

Where are you in the league? Are you safe or fallen into the depth of relegation :eek:

Didn't know you could get Deco on loan :) Do you pay all wages or a percentage?

Where are you in the league? Are you safe or fallen into the depth of relegation :eek:

yeah, my scout recommended him to me to buy! i wouldnt have even thought of checking him out. anyway, obviously didnt have the cash to pay his wages in full, hence i didnt buy him(he was going for sub 1mil) but they accepted a 40% loan offer. i offered about 4 times before they accepted it. It was so worth it for his first two games, but hes out for 4 weeks now :(

currently sitting in 13th but the teams 10-17 are so closely spaced that if i lose one game i could drop into RZ and if i win i could hit 9. Nowhere near safe yet!

Who are you trying to kid mate?

You know nothing.

Somebody with sence :)

Enjoy the win today mate? I was going over the moon!

Hart must finally be doing something right, 2 games.. 8 goals scored, 0 conceded!

Piq netting 3 and Dindane 3 :) strikers on form!

Hart must finally be doing something right, 2 games.. 8 goals scored, 0 conceded!

Now now.....we pompey fans must see reality...it'll all go wrong soon enough :p

It has been coming for a few weeks since we battered Everton and just couldn't score...

Now now.....we pompey fans must see reality...it'll all go wrong soon enough :p

It has been coming for a few weeks since we battered Everton and just couldn't score...

I know, :( Hart has kept his job for now, but for how much longer? Just glad to see the strikers actually putting the ball in the net the last 2 games, all goalscorers in the 2 games was strikers! But the excitement from todays game has put me in such a good mood! :D

On the hop update..... The Judas was slain :D

yeah top result there. if only those two could do the same for me on FM!

Come on lads keep that to the Football Forum!

But yeah was a great win :cool: Same i was in a great mood, until i saw all these idiots in this thread!

Apologies, :)

And as you could tell earlier I was getting annoyed with them also!

Did Crouch score from a long range effort?

Oh my god, speak of the devil, Crouch just got Goal of the Month on my Man City save :eek: Stupidly powerful effort from 25 yards!

Thats alright :) Yeah they call themselves Pompey fans! Ha!

Crouch = Legend.

If I could get Crouch back at Fratton Park I would, this year his stats are absolutely epic, and scores goals galore :)

I am not on my Portsmouth save at the moment, just my City one, and he has already bagged 8 goals in 11 games in the Prem, he really is something special on this years game!

November Update(I survived.....so far!!!!!)

And even shorter month of games this month due to international breaks.

Opening this month was a visit to Villa Park. It was tough to say how they were doing as they had about 4 games to catch up due to Europa Cup games. I hoped to carry over the form from the last months game against Burnley and so kept the same side that finished so well. Villa it seemed were going for it and were pressuring my goals from the off and a Gabby Agbonlahor goal early on was to prove enough to get a 1-0 win for villa.

3 days later came the return to Fratton Park of Harry Redknapps Tottenham.......Did I let my heart rule over my head and go for punishment on the players at the expence of a result. No, I went for the game and it paid off hansomly. Mid way through the first half Mokoena scored a bullet header from a VanDen Borre cross. This was very quickly cancelled out from the restart when Crouch scored from 35 yards out :( . Very quickly though Van Nistlerooy got me back in front witha typical finish after bursting through the Spurs defence. In the second half I look to sit on the result and gradually became more and more defensive as the clocked ticked towards full time. RVN took a knock near the end and I brough on Dindane to just make sure RVN didn't do any furtehr damage and as if by magic Dindane scored an Injury time third to rub it in. The fans loved me afterwards.

The final game was after a lengthy international break and up against Carling Cup defeaters Bolton at the Reebok. Unlike the cup game I was playing full strength and went for it like I did against Spurs. Bolton were ready and just sat back defending till they got a sucker punch goal to seal a 1-0 win.

So November ends and I have risen 1 spot but I am cleaer from the drop zone now.

P15 W4 D4 L7 F17 A26 Pts16

Finished 18th got relegated and got sacked, so I'm going to start a new save. Every time it looked like I was going to turn it around I would lose the next match :(. Also whats with people giving us money on their saves?

Finished 18th got relegated and got sacked, so I'm going to start a new save. Every time it looked like I was going to turn it around I would lose the next match :(. Also whats with people giving us money on their saves?

I think they believe that our new owner has money to splash......

I'll believe it when it happens :(

December Intrim Mini Update.........

Have I witnessed a sign of things to come????? Portsmouth Chairman Ali AL Faraj gives me £21.5m from the January transfer window!!!!! :eek:

Now then who to spend it on.

December Intrim Mini Update.........

Have I witnessed a sign of things to come????? Portsmouth Chairman Ali AL Faraj gives me £21.5m from the January transfer window!!!!! :eek:

Now then who to spend it on.

Legendary!:thup:

December Update:

This was going to be quite a make or break month for me as I had 6 games, 4 at home and all of them against lower and mid table opposition meaning they were all winable.

To start of I faced a Sunderland team rooted to the foot of the table and looking destined to join thier North East rivals in the Championship next season. And I wasn't about to give then an easy ride. Almost from the start I showed attacking intent and Wehn Van Nistlerooy was fouled after only 2 minutes it was only fitting he was the one to dispatch the penalty. Sunderland struck back only 5 minutes later with a long range Liam Lawrence effort after a cleared corner. But then 10 minutes after that Aaron Mokoena showed how to score from a corner with a powerful headed effort. Boateng making his return from injury then increased the lead with a cracking 30 yard effort that left Craig Gordon stuck. In the second half Sunderland piled on the pressure and got just reward in the 58th minute when Lee Cattermole snuck through to placed a good shot in. The game then looked to be petering out as I parked the bus. But in the 90th Minute Picquionne was brought down in the area and Dindane cooly slotted home to leave a decent 4-2 scoreline.

Hull were the next vistors to Fratton Park and I went with the same starting line up as the last game but Hull came to defend and defend they did. Struggling to break then down with the fluid passing moves so far meant I changed to a nasty long ball game.....But I won't complain with Dindane getting on the end of a hoof from Ben Haim to get the only goal.

My first away game of the month was to Everton who were doing ok in the league and looking at Europe. I wanted to try and stop that and make Pompey the travellers next year.....Unfotunately the referee had othre ideas giving a poor decision against Belhadj and Tim Cahill scored the penalty to wrap up a poor win for Everton.

It was back to Fratton park and Fulham were the visitors who like everton were doing well but they were on a bad run of form and I looked to capitalise. The first half was a very dull drawn out affair with neither team really looking to make a move but early in the second a corner swung over by Vanden Borre was cruelly deflected into his ownnet by Mark Schwarzer. From the restart Fulham were on the attack and Simon Davies broke through to equalise. For much of the rest of the half it was just like the second until Vanden Borre was dismissed for a second bookable offence. I had to change things about and looked at dropping Dindane out replacing him with Lukovic. I went highly defensive in an effort to secure a draw but Fulham had other ideas.....but ones I liked.....for the seond time in the match a swinging corner was deflected into his own net...this time by Pantsil to mean I won 2-1

The second away game was against Blackburn who were level on points with me going into the game. Having seen the long ball game work in the match against Hull and feeling blackburn might employ similar tactics to them I went from the start and it worked as the ball was getting pumped forwards constantly and when Boateng got on the end of one on 38 minutes it was just reward. For the second half I was under pressure as blackburn were throwing men forwards and on 61 minutes I struck the killer blow to seal a 2-0 win when Boateng scored again.

The final game of the month was against relegaiton threatened Birmingham and again I went long ball. This time it was the turn of Dindane to pounce on 21 and 24 minutes with a quickfire double salvo. Van Nistlerooy made it 3 after 38 minutes when Dindane going for his third hit the post and he was there to slot in the rebound. For the second half I tried out a new attackig formation to test a few things and when Tainio pulled one back on 72 minutes I got a little nervous but that was it.

So at the end of 2009 I am in 8th

P21 W9 D4 L8 F29 A31 Pts31

As previously mentioned I have been given a little transfer boost of £21.5m to spend in January and so far I have Aiden McGeady coming in from Celtic for £10.5m and Nicolas Frutos from Anderlecht for £1.6m. I am sniffing a little bit at Ronaldo but his price might be the killer.

BarclaysPremiership-1.png

Sold Ashdown to Man City for £1million, and then chairman forced me to sell O'Brien to Arsenal. Didn't get a penny from either deal though.

Tried to sell Hughes and Mullins, but didn't get any decent offers before the window closed, hopeful for January though.

Brought in Michael Ball, Henri Camara and Henk Timmer (all freebies), plus Dietmar Hamman on a 1 year deal with a view to him becoming a coach. Took Andrade and Van Der Meyde on trial, but couldn't afford any more wages.

Poor start to the year, though better than in real life admittedly. Currently hovering around 17th place. Fully fit squad for the first time in November. Rumoured fans consortium takeover on the horizon. Current board 'satisfied' with my work so far.

Boateng being an ass, constantly mouthing off to the press, but other than that, the lads are fine. Stand out players are Kaboul, Vanden Borre and Smith. James in the England wilderness.

321.5m to spend in January

Haha :p either you forgot to hold down shift or you have a hell of a lot of money to spend ;)

Brilliant results mate, and well done on being 8th :o currently better than what I'm doing!

I take it the team is fully settled now, and started to bring home the results!

Looking forward to my first season at Pompey, Having trouble trying to attract players though.

Here is my list

Sol Campbell

Christian Vieri

Silv Wiltord

Missed out On

Ball (Former City Left Back)

Has anyone got any good free transfers they have found ?

Stephen Appiah

Haha :p either you forgot to hold down shift or you have a hell of a lot of money to spend ;)

Brilliant results mate, and well done on being 8th :o currently better than what I'm doing!

I take it the team is fully settled now, and started to bring home the results!

Wish it was 321.5m lol

The team do seem to be gelled now.

Pompeyboyz

Great signings, you have done well to get up to 8th :thup: Looks like you could do with a better goal scorer? Who are your front 1/2 ?

jarvo 360

You brought Sol Campbell back!? how much wage he is on? Vieri was an okay signing but is getting on. As for Wiltord, i think he can do a job for a season good luck :thup:

Grunners

I also had the same problem, which is Arsenal buying O'brien and make not being able to decide. Ball and Camara both seem quite good signings, and Hamann wasnt bad for the year. Is Smith really a stand out player? he was poor for me and couldnt get past Utaka in the 1st team 11.

As for me my game still hasnt arrived :(

Archived