DirectX problem

My demo downloads, and the install seems to go all the way.

But when it gets to the DirectX bit, I get an error message: An internal system error occurred.

What does this mean and how do I fix it?

Try installing the latest version of Direct X, that will probably help

I'm having the same problem. When I try to install the DirectX with the demo it says:

An internal system error occurred. Please refer to DXError.log and DirectX.log in your windows folder to determine problem.

The DirectX.log contains no entry since September, while the DXError.log just has:

--------------------

[10/14/09 16:58:53] module: DXWSetup(Sep 4 2009), file: dxwsetup.cpp, line: 219, function: CDXWSetup::InitInstallEngine

Sections are not initialized.

--------------------

[10/14/09 16:58:53] module: DXWSetup(Sep 4 2009), file: psheets.cpp, line: 472, function: PreinstDlgProc

CDXWSetup::InitInstallEngine() failed.

Repeated for every time I've tried to install it today.

Can anyone help me?

Edit: Give Paul D's links below a shot before any of the ones I've supplied.

My demo downloads, and the install seems to go all the way.

But when it gets to the DirectX bit, I get an error message: An internal system error occurred.

What does this mean and how do I fix it?

Hi you say it looked like the game installed and completed, can you try running the game and see if it works?

If this doesn't work it sounds like there's an issue with your version of directx, this could be because of a bad update or could just be it hasn't updated for a while.

First I'd run your windows update and see if there are any directx updates available for you.

You can do this manually by going here:

http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-US/aboutgfw/Pages/directx10.aspx

If this fails and you're still having problems then I advise checking with Microsoft customer support.

If it succeds and the game doesn't run I advise you uninstall the game completely and re-install the demo.

To uninstall the game manually:

Goto: c:\program files\sports interactive\

And remove the "Football Manager 2010 demo" folder.

Next Goto: Start Menu\<user name>\App Data\Roaming\Sports Interactive

Finally Goto: Start Menu\Documents\Sports Interactive

Then re-install the demo.

Sorry you've had problems, let me know if you have any luck with this.

DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer - Internet connection required to install

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en

or for the full package

DirectX End-User Runtimes (August 2009) - No Internet required to install

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=04ac064b-00d1-474e-b7b1-442d8712d553

I'm having the same problem. When I try to install the DirectX with the demo it says:

An internal system error occurred. Please refer to DXError.log and DirectX.log in your windows folder to determine problem.

The DirectX.log contains no entry since September, while the DXError.log just has:

--------------------

[10/14/09 16:58:53] module: DXWSetup(Sep 4 2009), file: dxwsetup.cpp, line: 219, function: CDXWSetup::InitInstallEngine

Sections are not initialized.

--------------------

[10/14/09 16:58:53] module: DXWSetup(Sep 4 2009), file: psheets.cpp, line: 472, function: PreinstDlgProc

CDXWSetup::InitInstallEngine() failed.

Repeated for every time I've tried to install it today.

Can anyone help me?

Could try reading through the thread posted here on this....

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistahardware/thread/589e8e8a-91ce-449f-b399-597e1981ffd0

Although I'd first try getting the 'off-line' package and try reinstalling (I'd also restart the machine before doing this)

DirectX End-User Runtimes (August 2009) - Full package installation (No Internet connection required to install)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=04ac064b-00d1-474e-b7b1-442d8712d553

What do these do? what do I do with them?

thanks

Thanks for all the help everyone.

I uninstalled the demo, downloaded and installed the DirectX End-User Runtimes (August 2009), then reinstalled the demo again.

It came up with the same error again when it came to try and install the DirectX. However, this time when I tried to play the demo, it worked. Hopefully my luck will hold out for the whole game....

Thank you again everyone

What do these do? what do I do with them?

thanks

From microsoft's website:

Instructions

1. Click the Download button on this page to start the download, or select a different language from the Change language drop-down list and click Go.

2. Do one of the following:

3. To start the installation immediately, click Run.

4. To save the download to your computer for installation at a later time, click Save.

5. To cancel the installation, click Cancel.

Additional Information

The DirectX redist installation includes all the latest and previous released DirectX runtime. This includes D3DX, XInput, and Managed DirectX components.

The DirectX runtime cannot be uninstalled. We recommend Windows Me and Windows XP users create a "System Restore" point before installing. For information on creating a restore point, please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:

Windows XP: Microsoft Knowledge Base article 310405.

This update is recommended for users that do not have internet connection during installation

If you would like the websetup version of the runtime package, please click here.

Starting with Febraury 2007 SDK release - The redist no longer supports Win9x

I think I installed the DirectX runtime to the wrong place. Where should it go?

(There was no default, the "install to" field was blank)

You basically 'extract' the file to a 'location' (create a temp folder somewhere to extract the files), then look for the file 'DXsetup.exe' (if I recall correctly) and run that from the location you've extracted the files.

Once it's all installed and confirmed working, you can then safely delete that 'temp' folder you created for the extracted files.

Archived