FM10 Official Arsenal Thread - You can win anything with kids!

arsenal_2111

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've already done a season, failed miserably, but I'll post up the review when a few people get the game going. Actually, not sure if I'm allowed to until the game is released... I'll have to check.
I'm pretty sure you're allowed to.

Nope after the full game release. Well I think.

Just played my first match (3-2 at Ewood Park) and I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far. I like the tactics (for now :p) as it's easy to make quick changes mid-match with the little drop down boxes. I'm sure I'll find something that p*sses me off with them though, I always do :D lol.

Have only signed Ochoa and Kehl. I'm just about to set up some training schedules, see if anything's changed there.

Not really thinking too much for time being. Doing a standard 4-4-2 and sticking to it and asking my assistant for players for first season. I've set my targets to title challenge so have about 30 million transfer budget. not released or sold anyone yet as everyone will have their chance in the demo to show their worth to me(if they have any at all) I've bought the following players

Transfers

Hamit 6.5 Million

Juan Manuel Vargas 9 Million

Matteo Brighi 9 Million

I would actually look into them more but i'm extremely tired so i'm just testing out the assistants advice :D

There are a few players I would recommend over most;

- Scott Loach from Watford rotated with Ochoa as first choice keeper

- Nicolas Otamendi is super cheap and is as good as Senderos and Vermaelen with his awesome physical stats

- Philippe Senderos was my Fans Player of the Season, held the team together

- Nacer Barazite played upfront with a more natural scorer, and until the last day was my 2nd top goalscorer (van Persie overtook) with about 14 goals. This included 4 v Southampton.

- Jack Wilshere and Fran Merida also did great for me, Wilshere at AMR and Merida at MCa.

Just my two cents on players :)

I might not sign a goalkeeper straight away, although I'm very tempted to buy Ochoa since he got GK of the Year under me in FM09 and is an excellent keeper despite his stats. Diego Martinez looks quite promising. I see you haven't included him in the squad analysis. Doesn't he have quite a high potential?

I'm still trying to get to grips with the new player rating system, specifically distinguish the difference between "useful", "decent", "fairly good" and "good". With it being as in depth as this, I won't be able to sell off players as easily as before since I don't know how good they actually are.

started a game with the gunners, 3rd game in and just won 10-0 !!!! robin vanpersie just got 7 goals and a rating of 10 and eduardo got 3 !!!!!!!!!

signed- de rossi(35m)

- akinfeev(20m)

and now trying to get neymar & sakho

Hmm.. just had my first game. It was only a friendly against my reserves players but did give me an idea of the working a little. I won 5-0 and generally dominated the game. But that's not really a good judge considering it was the reserves and not really the best of players.

Still thinking about who I can get. Don't think I'll let anyone go just yet though.

Not happy with how they've rated the Arsenal players. Pretty much every new game/patch comes out, they seem to rate them lower. None of the players have been rated better than on FM09. So basically what they're trying to tell me is that every single Arsenal has actually become worse in this one year. Rubbish. And then I see Denilson has far better dribbling than Fabregas. And to make it worse, then I see that flippin Song also has better dribbling than Fabregas!! What the hell?? What in God's name have they been smoking?! Arshavin is no better than on FM09 which is ridiculous. Have they actually had any changes or are we not gonna see them before the full release?!

Alrite, that's my rant for now. I'll probably have more complaints atleast as far as the player stats go later! :D

But all-in-all, its looking good so far.

I don't think he'll turn into anything good, but probably a useful backup or third choice keeper if you gave him enough time. His starting stats don't look too promising.

So what formation is everyone using? I've tried the 4-1-2-1-2, beat the Reserves 5-0 with that and now I'm using 4-2-2-2 (with wingers instead of two DM's). I think Arshavin will be quite deadly with "inside forward" instructions.

I've started off with a formation akin to the real life one - a 4-1-2-2-1. Got Song playing DM, Denilson as a box-to-box midfielder and Fabregas as the playmaker who joins up in attack a lot as well. Arshavin on the left cutting inside. Walcott on the right doing the same. And Van Persie upfront. Problem with this formation is that it doesn't leave room at the club for Bendtner or Vela. :(

Vela seems to have been downgraded quite a lot PA wise :( Still a beast though - he scored 4 times for me in a friendly. Eduardo is the perfect tutor for him with his new 19 (!) determination. Of course if you kept him then you'd have three left footed strikers competing for the same spot.

Speak of the devil though, Bendtner just scored a hattrick against Boreham Wood in 17 minutes. Why are we cursed with so many talented strikers?

PS: I've only signed Otamendi so far. Looked at Toulalan but he would cost me a whopping £25M. Seems just as good, if not better than, last year. Found another guy called Tiberio Guarente who looks quite good. Plays for Atalanta and is a DM/MC. I'm also in the market for a RW since I sent both Wilshere and Barazite on loan to Crystal Palace and Southend respectively (the Barazite deal giving me an idea for my Southend save...). Anyone found any good prospects for RM? Might go for Sunderland's Henderson.

Just looking at the OP (still downloading the demo), if that is accurate then surely the researchers have fouled up a bit? Shouldn't Vermaelen be accomplished at LB and walcott a natural ST? Also, i would have thought that Song and Gibbs should both be capable of being first teamers, rather than back-up. I'll have to wait and see for myself when i finally finish downloading, but by the sounds of it, i'm going to be busy with the editor when the full version arrives!

hmmm....my download finally finished and i've started an arsenal save of course. I've checked out the 'backroon advice' section, which looks pretty cool. Some of the reports are a bit concerning though....Pat Rice tells me that "there is currently very little talent in the youth team". What's that Pat? Very little talent in our all-conquering youth team, the one that is widely regarded as the most promising in the UK? As I said...hmmmm.

sned777

Have you been able to start now mate? If not, then contact one of the SI guys and see if they can help. Why are you downloading off steam though? Why not just download normally and then install it?

JEinchy

Alexis Sanchez still looks class mate. And he's now a natural on the right. Yoahan Mollo also looks good and might be worth a go. Marko Marin is another. Wijnaldum again looks great.

Check out Dudu from Cruzeiro. Looks great for his age. Oscar as well from Sao Paolo. Eduardo Salvio is another. And so is Ninis who again looks good. Jack Collison looks alrite as well. If you want English, Jose Baxter maybe?

dz47

I guess arsenal_2111 just forgot a couple of things in the post. But rest assured, Vermaelen is accomplished at left back and Walcott is natural upfront (accomplished on the right wing).

Song is decent enough to be a first-teamer. But like in real life, he's not above decent. But if he's got a little space between his CA & PA on the game, then I reckon he'll become a good DM for you. Just a little boost in stats and I'm sure he'll be a solid player. Kieran Gibbs is not good enough to be a first-teamer IRL or in the game. He's gonna be given more chances this year to prove himself but remember, he's converted there from a left midfielder so is still largely unproven. Having said that, his stats seem under-rated to me sadly.

The reason Rice gives his recommendation is that there are no stand out players in the U18's anymore mate. Remember, he's talking strictly about the U18's team and not taking into account guys like Wilshere, Ramsey, Vela etc. All these guys have moved up from there. There is no stand out guy in the U18's this year unfortunately. The reserves are full of it though.

Nonlondoner

Patrick has been downgraded from the FM09 stats. He's still decent enough but not the kind of guy I'd look to bring in anymore sadly. Maybe in season 2 when his contract runs out it'll be a good idea to bring him in for tutoring though.

Great starting post! I'm eagerly anticipating getting my hands on the game asap. Is it possible for someone to post up a list of CA/PA of the entire team and notable youths? I'm interested to see what changes have been made.

I have started with 2 formations and still in pre season, not finalized on the system I will play my first league game away to blackburn and would like your thoughts on my both formations.

4-3-3

Full backs - Sagna Clichy ( support)

CB- Galls Zapta

midfield - Cesc- deep-lying playmaker

Palambo- ball winner

Nasri (when fit) - Advanced playmaker

Forwards - RVP and Arshavin - deep-lying forward

Eduardo- attacking forward

4-4-2

Sagna Galls Zapta Clichy

Walcot cesc Palambo Nasri

Arshavin RVP

I play fluid, short passing game ..4-4-2 play wide with focus passing down both flanks, 4-3-3 focus passing through the middle

Well I finished my signings:

Nicolas Otamendi - £2.8M

Tiberio Guarente - £11M

Scott Muggleton - Free

Victor Moses - £3M

So pretty much completely new players I've never used before, or even heard of barring Victor Moses. Muggleton is a 16 year old keeper from Huddersfield with potential to be better than, if not as good as, Manuel Almunia so I'll be looking out for him when the full game comes out. Guarente is a good complete midfielder with an eye for goal, Otamendi has beastly physical stats and Moses will provide backup for the right wing.

Only outs were a bunch of loans and Diaby for £5M.

So my first game was Blackburn away (like everyone else). I was anticipating a touch match but we thrashed them 4-0. Three goals were free kicks - two from van Persie and one from Guarente. Walcott scored the opening goal.

We drew Celtic in the Chamopions League (de ja vu, anyone?) and the first lef was at Celtic Park (seems familliar). We took the lead just after 2 minutes from Fabregas, and then Bendtner doubled that lead about 20 minutes later. Vela made it 3-0 in the second half before Celtic got one back from Samaras. 3-1 the final score.

Fulham at home is coming up next.

It's going to be an interesting game since Chelsea have signed Antonio Cassano and Vincenzo Iaquinta, and Man Utd have signed Guissepe Rossi and Antonio Di Natale so both sides have strengthed a lot.

Oh, and has anyone seen Edin Dzeko? He looks class on this game.

Great opening post. I haven't yet started the demo, so forgive me for posting "blind". I would have thought that Clichy would have been marked down on concentration and potentailly postioning as he is prone to lapses in concentration. personally, if I could get in excess of £16m i would sell him.

Rosciky is a bit of a dilema. Persoanlly i think he is one of our best players when fit. however he is fast approaching 30 and is all too injury prone.

Vermaelen and Song should be a lot better in the game imo. I've started my first season and as i like to keep it realistic, i'm playing with the actual 4-3-3 that Wenger is using at the moment:

-------------Almunia-------------

--Sagna-Gallas-Vermaelen-Clichy

----------------Song---------------

----------Cesc-----Denilson-------

--Walcott----------------Arshavin-

-----------------RVP--------------

Unlike Wenger i spent little over £26M. I bought Jovetic for £14M, Rolfes for £12M and a player called Muniesa from Barca for about £180.000. I've got about 8M left so i might buy one extra player, possibly a GK.

Hey guys, great first post, just want to throw in my two cents.

I've signed four players, and got rid of 3.

In came

Muggleton, who, as mentioned seems to be a real prospect.

Moussa Sissoko, who is already performing better than Song

Subotic, as I sold Silvestre and Djourou is injured

Arda, a Turkish attacking midfielder who Arsenal have been linked with in real life. This was a the primary reason I signed him, but his versatility and decent stats were also good. Although he is just gelling I think he might be a really good by. He already has two goals and plays a big role in how the team plays.

Out went Diaby (7,5 mill Wigan) and Randall (1 mill Sunderland) and Silvestre (2,2 mill Lyon) because I just don't like them.

My first games were the same as yours and I actually have won them all

Blackburn away 1-3 (their goal being a free kick, RvP getting a hat trick)

Celtic away 0-3

Fulham awy 0-2

Celtic home 1-0

Birmingham home 4-1 (their goal being a counterattack after a corner, something I have to work on)

My general experience is that although some Arsenal players (Song, Gibbs, Vermaelen, Fabregas, Arshavin, Walcott) are underrated in some all are stats this doesn't (yet) reflect on how they play as they are easily cutting through teams.

I generally play a 4-5-1, with vna Persie, Edu or Bendtner the central striker. With Arshavin, Walcott, Vela on either side. fabregas and Arda are in the middle, although I'd like to push Arda a little higher fom now on as he is better their. Sissoko is the Defensive Midfielder, always staying back. Naturally his is the most important position for my system to work, but he has been absolutely great, after I toned down his closing down and tackling he is not fouling so much and get a lot of interceptions.

I am trying to get Arshavin and Walcott to play more as the wide forwards play for Arsenal but for now, they seem good out wide although they are usually deeper then I' want the to be. The problem is Ars and all the others who I'd want to play wide (bar Vela) are not accomplished strikers so 433 doesn't seem like such a good idea. Apart from the I'd really want to find a good position/role for Fabregas. In the full game I'll train him to become an AM as I'd like him to play where Arda now and Nasri or Rosicky will play.

Defensively have been pretty solid up until this point. Vermaelen and Subotic are both good. My only problem is that the fullbacks, having the role to play as wingbacks are caught out often. I will have to address that.

All in all Arsenal are really good still, atlhough I'll be editing some things with the full game, like the reserves and U18's as some of them are very bad and some first team players too.

My question is, as I want Arshavin and Fabregas to play more as they do in real life, and just generally better, what position and role should I choose for them? i want Fabregas to be more upfield and more involved in and around the box, but being an awkward Am i am reluctant to play him other than an MC with lots of forward runs. Suggestions?

UPDATE:

just beat Man Utd away 2-0, van Persie scoring after a counter and then some nice build-up play through the middle. Touchline instructions seem to be working very well as before both goals I clicked counter instead of control and then before the second goal I told them to play through the middle.

Problem is they had two players sent off Park, and G. Neville which ended the game as a contest and I could'nt check out whether my tactics were any good.

drew first game of the season against Blackburn all thanks to Vermaelen :(

Dzeko is a god... 2 games 5 goals and 2 motms... tis kinda a shame Eduardo doesn't play though as he was superb in pre season

Vermaelen and Song should be a lot better in the game imo. I've started my first season and as i like to keep it realistic, i'm playing with the actual 4-3-3 that Wenger is using at the moment:

-------------Almunia-------------

--Sagna-Gallas-Vermaelen-Clichy

----------------Song---------------

----------Cesc-----Denilson-------

--Walcott----------------Arshavin-

-----------------RVP--------------

Unlike Wenger i spent little over £26M. I bought Jovetic for £14M, Rolfes for £12M and a player called Muniesa from Barca for about £180.000. I've got about 8M left so i might buy one extra player, possibly a GK.

I have gone for the same formation and team, with the exception that I signed Akinfeev to replace Almunia (they fleeced me for £22m:() and Cesc broke his leg in my second friendly. Agree completely on Song and Vermaelen, however it has been pointed out that Vermaelen will be improved in the first patch, his current stats were done by the Ajax researcher on him performing for Ajax last year. Song has looked very average in game and I think he could be improved.

Formation is doing ok, very attractive football but dont get as many goals as I would like (RVP is struggling to put the ball away), first 5 matches I have won three drawn one and lost one (lost to Man utd to a dodgy penalty and late goal despite dominating the match).

I really like the new tactics editor, has made it much easier to get the team to play the way I want.

Archived