Football Manager 2010 - Digital Download Purchase Options (NEW Mac Steam option)

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I read we still have the option to activate the game and get it to patch itself that way, I think I'll go for the boxed version :)

It's always nice to have it sitting on the shelf, next to its older brothers ^^ and if the friggin' apocalypse comes and steam goes down, I wanna be able to keep on playing in my basement ! Even if I have to go raid the wastelands for fuel, or build my own wind turbine out of a lawn mower xD

... Damn, sounds more like "Fallout Manager" ^^

Anyway, thanks to the team for their dedication and the unique way they have of listening to the fans' feedback. That's what made you guys number one, and if you keep it up, that's what will make you stay that way.

Ambitious idea for next year's release : non-FIFA football xD

Regadless of whether its midnight or 8pm, I'm looking at an early morning thing over here. Got mine off gamersgate because Steam won't let me download any games outside their region - which is kinda nonsense.

£25, which wasn't that bad.

Dunno if its because I'm outside of the UK so I was billed differently, but if you load the UK version of gamersgate FM2010 its actually 30 quid but if you purchase it in US dollars on the international site, it actually comes to 25 quid (actually £24.40.) Because of the current conversion rates from american currency its about 5 quid cheaper for some reason.

I'm not sure of they will let you buy the game in USD if your ISP is broadcasting from inside the UK though.

Here's a question that came up..

If I buy a non-boxed version of the game, will it be possible to download the game using a terminal (let's say a college one for instance), then copy it to install it on my PC and activate it without an Internet connection?

Your copy will need STEAM to be activated so I dont think you willl be able to play on a PC without internet connetion unless you have the DVD.

Hello,

Esellerate don't run pre-orders for Mac. The game will be available to download on the 30th though - and I've asked for details on the price - without any real knowledge of this, it'll be consistent with last years (at a guess!) and I'll bring more info when I have it.

Cheers

Matt

I don't really understand this. Why would anyone purchase and download the game from Steam if you can also get it digitally from sites like game.com for much less? Or can European non-UK users only purchase it via Steam?

Steams handy for having a digital copy of the game rather than keeping a CD. It used to be competitively priced but now its just ******** because they do dollar-> euro conversion 1:1.

My question has been half answered but not completely so could soemone give me a clear answer on the following:

Last year I downloaded via steam when the disc I got from the UK didnt work. If I remember correctly I was able to move the exe file out of the steam folder and then play the game even when I was offline. Will I be able to do this again with FM2010 if I download direct from Steam and I assume I can download via steam in Turkey?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Esellerate don't run pre-orders for Mac. The game will be available to download on the 30th though - and I've asked for details on the price - without any real knowledge of this, it'll be consistent with last years (at a guess!) and I'll bring more info when I have it.

Cheers

Matt

Hold on? So we wont be able to pre download the game, we'll have to wait until the 30th until we can download it and play it?

Why wont it be available to dl prior to the 30th but be locked until the target time?

gutted, if i'd known i would have just brought the disc. because the dl speds on steam are slow.

i tried downloading the demo from there and it was crap, so now that im downloading the whole game when EVERYBODY is gonna be doing it im gonna be in an even worse position :(

What ar eyou talking about? Steam is incredably fast and if its slow its a problem on your end not theres. I don't think anyone has a connection that steam can't max out.

So if qwe have a problem with the purchase/download, we're on our own?

I'm not sure what you're asking here... can you clarify?

gutted, if i'd known i would have just brought the disc. because the dl speds on steam are slow.

i tried downloading the demo from there and it was crap, so now that im downloading the whole game when EVERYBODY is gonna be doing it im gonna be in an even worse position :(

Steam is pretty rapid if you have a decent internet connection. And you will be able to preload on Steam - my answer above was related to Esellerate which doesn't offer a preloading service apparently.

What about Germany? It is unavailable on steam and direct2drive for this region. Gamersgate seems to work.

Correct.

I'm not sure what you're asking here... can you clarify?

Steam is pretty rapid if you have a decent internet connection. And you will be able to preload on Steam - my answer above was related to Esellerate which doesn't offer a preloading service apparently.

Correct.

I asked earlier but didnt get a reply.... can I buy through Steam in Turkey?

so if i digital download the game from steam can i play it offline or do i have to online everytime i play the game. And can i install it on two different PCs which are owned by me? I remember purchasing a DVD for FM09 and i can play it on two PCs at the same time without going online..im just finding the best option to buy

Am I the only one to think the game is f... expensive to buy on Steam, and generally in all digital format stores?

I mean, come on...the distribution cost is zero. The packaging and manufacturing cost is zero. And they still manage to make it more expensive than the boxed version.

I'm a fan of digital media. But only when it's fair. And this, my friends, is not the case.

I asked earlier but didnt get a reply.... can I buy through Steam in Turkey?

Yes, you can.

so if i digital download the game from steam can i play it offline or do i have to online everytime i play the game. And can i install it on two different PCs which are owned by me? I remember purchasing a DVD for FM09 and i can play it on two PCs at the same time without going online..im just finding the best option to buy

You can install Steam and play across more than one PC. And you only have to be online once.

Am I the only one to think the game is f... expensive to buy on Steam, and generally in all digital format stores?

I mean, come on...the distribution cost is zero. The packaging and manufacturing cost is zero. And they still manage to make it more expensive than the boxed version.

I'm a fan of digital media. But only when it's fair. And this, my friends, is not the case.

Actually, I'd say you've got it the wrong way round... mostly it's cheaper in retail because they discount against their own profits to drive sales volume.

Actually, I'd say you've got it the wrong way round... mostly it's cheaper in retail because they discount against their own profits to drive sales volume.

And digital distribution channels could do the same as well - and more, because their profit margin is larger (due to the reasons specified above).

Don't take me wrong. I understand their point of view. It's just that it is taking people for dumb (or lazy/impatient to wait 3 days for the box to arrive).

I would just hope that game creators would improve their marketing strategies to benefit both them and the players. Take a look at World of Goo (http://2dboy.com/games.php). Brilliant game - not to mention it is avaliable on all platforms, *INCLUDING* Linux.

The digital copy is cheap ($20). And, even greater, they have a special, Radiohead-inspired offer of "pay what you like" for the game. Which could be a very interesting case study.

Not true, only true for UK players. You pay 30 sterling for it, we pay 46 sterling when you do euro->sterling from steam

I've just ordered Football Manager 2010, relying on what Matt said below at his 21 October, 17:07 post, i.e. that we can pre-load the game on Steam.

Surprise surprise, I can't. It just says "not yet released", and does not allow me to pre-load it.

Any way anyone can help, so I can pre-load the (locked until day of release) game, as Matt said it was possible to do, and not have to load it at a time when EVERYONE will want to load it, thus increasing risk of server failure, etc.? Many thanks!

I've just ordered Football Manager 2010, relying on what Matt said below at his 21 October, 17:07 post, i.e. that we can pre-load the game on Steam.

Surprise surprise, I can't. It just says "not yet released", and does not allow me to pre-load it.

Any way anyone can help, so I can pre-load the (locked until day of release) game, as Matt said it was possible to do, and not have to load it at a time when EVERYONE will want to load it, thus increasing risk of server failure, etc.? Many thanks!

It won't preload until the day before release, if my memory of last year serves.

There will be no preload for Mac users on Esellerate I assume right?

Man, we get screwed all the time.

Sorry, if you know of another supplier who does Mac preloads and pre-orders by all means make me aware and I'll see if we can deal with them. There's only so much we can do if the partners don't exist....

Archived