Career Updates Forum Mini Updates Thread

dafuge

Woooo Hooooo,

After my first season or two i had all these superstars like Kaka and Ronaldo who always seemed to falter when i played against Barcelona/Valencia in the League and pretty much any half-decent team in Europe. So i sold on most of the big name players and brought in young players with plenty potential.

Now, 6 years later, with 4 league titles, and 7 cup wins including back to back European Cup win's i am now in the Legends list for Real Madrid. Woooo Hoooo.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've only just really discovered this forum, and I currently have a bit of time on my hands, but not enough time to go into too much detail about my current career. So this thread is perfect for me.

So first a bit of history. I'm still playing FM09, as I prefer it to FM10 at the moment. In my previous game I took Barletta from the basement of the Italian leagues to Champions league and Serie A glory. It took a fair while but, like most lower league games, it was hugely enjoyable and it allowed me to refine a very solid set of tactics. The only thing that stopped me carrying on when I was bored at Barletta was the fact that I had only loaded the Italian leagues, as the game had been started many months before on my much slower old PC. Had that not been the case I would have simply went job hunting for clubs that looked like a challenge in that save.

So I decided to start a new game and do something that I'd never done before, start unemployed and be a bit of a journeyman manager working my way to the top through reputation and different jobs, rather than the long struggle of brining one team up through the ranks. I'd tried this in the past, but had always become too attached to the team or some specific players in the team, so had always ended up sticking with them. This time it was going to be different.

So I started a new save with all leagues in the following nations loaded:

England

Scotland

Italy

Spain

Argentina

Brazil

I set my reputation to International Footballer, simply because I didn’t want to limit my job options too much from the start. There were a few jobs available, and I had a few offers, but decided on Hurcules, currently in the Spanish 2nd Division, mainly because I liked their name and fancied a stint in Spain. They’re predicted to finish mid table and the squad’s not too bad, with one star player who stands out amongst all the others, central midfielder Francisco Javier Farinos. Interest is already high in him, so it might be a challenge keeping him through the first transfer window, never mind the season. I have £0 to spend so anything other than free transfers are not an option.

Lets see how it goes…

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

All-Nighters and lurkers rejoice. I welcome you to our new home!

Let's recap.

An intro:

Following the relative success and popularity of the all-nighter thread, a number of us agreed to a new topic as we enter a new chapter in our FM stories. Let the past never be forgotten (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=118314) and let us look forward to the future, and to many-a-night spent playing FM2010.

Perhaps not the best introduction ever, but you get the idea.

Of course players of the older versions of the game are as welcome as ever, as are those abroad to whom the night is still young, or may be long away. :p

So, who's about? :)

and a warning:
Chaps,

It's been a good run, an epic thread (all 263 pages of it!!), but this thread has now served its course so we'll close it now. We had posted a few warnings about keeping the discussion on topic and a review of recent pages shows that has strayed waaaay off topic a few times. We're happy to let things slide where possible, but as I say, this thread has probably run its course now.

I should make clear that all the GD mods (myself, dafuge and Neji) agree that this is the right of course of action. I appreciate that this won't be a polular decision, but I can assure you, that we've discussed this at length before deciding to close the thread. We are happy, however, for you to start this thread from fresh, posting in the FM Career Updates forum which seems a more natural home for this sort of thread than the General Discussion Forum.

Also, you might want to check out the Career Updates Forum Anecdote Thread. :thup:

If you have any queries or comments about this, please feel free to PM me directly.

Cheers,

Gills

-------------------------------------------------

So, now we're here, I think perhaps this time round we need some rules.

Da Rulez

• Keep conversation on-topic. I have been as guilty as anyone of not doing so, although in recent weeks with the expectation that regardless the old thread was on it's last legs. Feel free to stray off-topic with regards to what music you're listening to or what you've done today, but keep the bulk of your posts FM related.

• Avoid entirely off-topic discussions or inappropriate topics.

• Do not post anything inappropriate to these fine forums.

• Avoid discussions about real-world football.

• NO FIGHTING/BICKERING/INSULTS. NOT ABOUT SOMEONE IN THE THREAD, NOR ABOUT SOMEONE ELSE EITHER ON HERE OR ELSEWHERE. KEEP IT CLEAN. KEEP IT HAPPY. KEEP ME FROM NEVER HAVING TO POST IN CAPS AGAIN.

• Avoid CA/PA discussion, particularly for 'real' players. Feel free to use spoilers.

• Avoid short posts. Quality > Quantity. Recapping your week/month/season is better than posting every time you score a goal.

of course, a new forum brings new forum rules to obey too.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=135579

Welcome to the FM Career Updates forum. The following rules have been put in place after discussion with regular GQ users and the Mods.

Forum Rules

1. Do not reveal the PA/CA of players or staff. This is the same for regen players or staff.

2. You can have one thread per career. Multiple threads are allowed but anyone found abusing this privilege will be dealt with at the moderators' discretion.

3. Your initial post should state the setup your game has, including leagues loaded, database size used and any edits or extra leagues that have been loaded. Threads using the current version of FM do not need to add the version to the title, moderators will add versions to thread titles when a new game is released.

4. Do not accuse others of cheating. We want to keep this forum as friendly as possible. Any accusations of cheating will be dealt with at the moderators' discretion.

These rules are still subject to change.

Useful Links and Information

Mod Requests - please use this thread for any changes that need to be made to your threads that can't be done yourselves.

Career Updates Forum Anecdote Thread - for single posts about careers that don't need their own threads

FM Career Forums Discussion - for forum related discussion, questions etc.

The Career Information Request Thread - a place to ask questions about teams, players etc.

How to Post a Screenshot

• While in FM, press Alt and F9
  • A picture will be saved to a screenshots folder, in the FM10 folder in your documents
  • Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Photobucket
  • Post the direct Url to the image here.

How to Add Links

At the top of the forum, go to 'quick links' then 'edit options'. At the bottom, select 'enhanced interface' and save the changes. This will give you access to the extra posting tools that make it easier to post links. Once you've done this, highlight the word you wish to turn into a link, then use the link button (looks like a little globe) to paste in the direct Url to your screenshot.

-------------------------------------------------

Anyone got something to add?

Now, I hope this thread will be as welcomed and as accepted as it was in the GD forum at the start. Apologies in advance if the moderators of this forum see otherwise - but it's perhaps something to take up with your GD counterparts. Are they the same people? :D

Now, I hope this thread will be as welcomed and as accepted as it was in the GD forum at the start. Apologies in advance if the moderators of this forum see otherwise - but it's perhaps something to take up with your GD counterparts. Are they the same people? :D

Kind of ;)

We are more than happy for you to discuss your FM games here, especially since this forum was created for people to do that. Hopefully people will read those rules you've posted, they look fair.

Welcome to your new home, I hope you mind me merging this with the other thread but they are basically the same thing. :thup:

Anything to add to the rules?

fwiw, GillsMan said in a PM that

the OP is good, and I've added some info (basically about not worrying if it goes slightly off topic, so long as it's on topic for the most part.

Have I missed that 'some info', or was it lost in the merge? :o

Hi Hershie

Sighs, Refugee from a war on Spam.PM'd GillsMan with what I hope they feel is a reasonable argument he said he will post it in the mods forum.

Just starting my 8th year pre season can be boring, haven't got my new budget or youth prospects yet.

I'm 6th Richest club in the world now at 228M and I will wipe out my loan debt this season :)

Did the EPL and Champions League double last season.

Amateurs ftl. :(

I basically said that all large threads will, from time to time, drift slightly off topic and we're fine with that, but do try to keep it on topic as much as possible.

It made more sense before the topics were merged tbh. :D

Can't see how the all nighter thread hurt anyone tbh. This season looks bad, wasn't given a transfer budget or new youth intake.

Sold Fabianski for 5M. From last seasons buys I got 2 brazillians for 1.5M their min releases that was llower than their value. Also got in an 18 year from palace a striker who seems pretty good.

Also got a turkish striker labelled the new Hakan suker for free.

Afternoon Deisler. Happy birthday. :D

As for the thread Delvor, tbh I don't mind starting a fresh and feel it could help. I also felt increasingly that there was indeed too much frankly crap off-topic discussion in there and needless comments by certain individuals. :(

Best Watch it Hershie, no on topic stuff in that post ;)

Happy birthday Deisler,

Usual FM big clubs all say they want my star players, no actual bids.

Still no sign of a budget or youth intake.

Just won a friedly at basingstoker 8-0

Gotta love the lower leagues makes me laugh when a player requests a £1 signing on fee. Players rejecting contracts because they want a more lucrative signing on fee that is £16, great stuff.

That makes me laugh. I always imagine myself rummaging around in my pockets to see how much change I've got to give them.

That makes me laugh. I always imagine myself rummaging around in my pockets to see how much change I've got to give them.

Exactly what I think especially being as I earn a huge £425 a week. I can imagine taking a pound out and using my thumb to flick it towards the player.

So this is our new home? How exciting-ish :D

So Tenerife January 2010, bulked my squad with the signings of Fran Merida, Fredy Guarin, Antonio Floro Flores and Valentin Stocker for a combined £5.65m and a player was exchanged in the Stocker deal (Juanlu Hens)

Gah, just lost 1-2 to Villareal in Spanish Cup Qtr 1st Leg, 94th minute winner for them :(

I've sometimes considered doing a Career thread, but was held back just incase I didnt like at and it turned out to be pointless.

Also, in the old All-Nighter, there is a link to a non existant thread, so may be best to change the link to this.

Archived