Sports Interactive Community
dafuge

Career Updates Forum Mini Updates Thread

Just beat de Graafschap 7-0.

They had one shot. Off-target. In the 91st minute.

what team are you? which competition was that? home? away? red cards?

I'm Sparta Rotterdam, it was in the 2023/24 Dutch Eredivisie and I was at home. No red cards were shown.

Now that's what I like to see:

The commitment of Al-Himriya to their causes was evidenced by the sheer number of shots they blocked. Time and again they put their bodies on the line for the good of the team.

:cool:

I suppose it depends on what side you were:

Al-Himriya had luck on their side as they played out an entertaining Emirati First Division fixture against Al-Emirates

A man of the match performance from Khalifa Abbas proved just enough to lighten a dull game during Al-Himriya's 1-0 Emirati First Division victory over Al-Emirates, according to the Al-Himriya Football Free Press

:D

1st season with Woking was a total success. Won the blue square south league and was promoted to the premier. half way through the new season, lying a little lower than the promotion zone. difficult to get 2 promotions in successive years

first offer from another team came!

Blackburn asked me for their manager but of course i rejected.

btw if i get promoted this year with woking it will be a miracle

Given myself one more season at Sparta. Then it's retiring and taking over another team til FM2011

Second season with Woking, I ended up in the 13th place of the Blue Square Premier but at least won the FA Carslberg Trophy! Now planning the new season so i can get promoted pretty easily. remind you that my target is winning the EPL in 10 years or less

PS: I don't remember. can i see it from somewhere in game now (about reputation)

I think I just gave the worst team talk ever :(

It's the Carling Cup quarter final and I've put a team of kids out, but after 90 minutes it is 1-1 and we are playing against 10 men. I threw on three of the big guns and told them we only needed one goal.

After extra time we had lost 5-1 :D

Really sucks when that happens Dafuge. :(

I sense a 'seemed demotivated, looked delighted' feedback coming up from your assistant.

Really sucks when that happens Dafuge. :(

I sense a 'seemed demotivated, looked delighted' feedback coming up from your assistant.

Amazingly enough it was 'nothing specific noted'.

But you know those rare messages you get when a player publicly apologises for making a mistake in the game? I got three :D

Sami Hyypia is now in management. Was a youth coach at Bayern, but now has the top job with Hannover.

And Mark Viduka is now the manager of Perth Glory, after 2 years in the Australian lower leagues with Dandenong Thunder.

He's the ass man at Southampton in 2024

3 games played with Holland U20's (basically my U19 side)

12 goals for, 0 against.

Finally started a new game. :D

Taken over as Villa at the start of season 2. :thup:

Not sure if I'll stick with this though. Just had an urge to play again.

My very biased suggestions:

Career game. Asian club or MLS. :p

Or maybe holiday a few seasons into a career game and start unemployed?

The holidaying into the future is something I do regularly these days. :thup:

I'm thinking I should stick it out at one club and take them rags to riches, as I've done with clubs in the past, but it has to be the right team and I just can't find that one.

I think I'll load a bunch of leagues (although only ones I feel I'm likely to play right now, so major European) and then holiday. While I love the idea of taking a club from a 'lesser' nation to glory, it seems limited as to what you can do long-term in terms of squad development and beyond once you're the dominant force.

Holidayed to June 2014 and honestly nothing is available.

Southampton have become a yo-yo club so I'm going to try and keep them up. :thup:

Don't forget your votes on the Career Awards, Hersh!

tbf I have no idea who or what to vote for. :(

Not been following this forum much in the last couple of months.

Miss me? ;)

Read the shortlisted ones and you will learn! ;)

And...who are you again?

And I've broken Ajax's 52 game unbeaten streak. With a 3-0 win over Ajax :p

I'm continuing in my usual vain here it seems.

Signed 9 players so far, spending... £500. Not £500k, just 500.

Gary Dicker, Tom, Nick Montgomery, Shaun Maloney, Wes Brown, Lee Barnard, Hogan Ephraim and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas all in on frees. :cool:

edit: James McFadden and Joseba Llorente in too, and an awesome looking striker called Miguel. If this team gels it'll be awesome.

Just a plug here for the "do it real" concept of playing the game. Last night, my poor Dale were upended by Huddersfield in the FA Cup on replay at Spotland, despite spending the last 12+ min. down to ten men, with us throwing everything we had except the kitchen sink (though I think I saw that flash by in one of the more interesting FM '10 3-D graphics :p ) 1 - 2. I was, um, loud during that last few minutes. Then, in their next game, they lost a massive 6-pointer to Dag & Red in the fight for 2d place in the league when we gave up an 83d min. goal through a missed tackle. I think the neighbors several houses down the street heard me when that goal went in.

I was never so excited about things in the days of the "save and reload", "search for the best stats on the list" playing. Frustration comes from lack of control over something important to you; on the flip side, the ecstasy of pure joy comes from accomplishing something actually hard to make happen. :)

The Dale, meanwhile, bump along.

Started off the U20 World Cup in 2025 by limiting Japan to 34% possession and NO shots at all.

Finally. After 210 minutes, someone has had a shot on goal against me.

Just thrashed the bottom side 5-0. Scored our first 2 minutes in after a long hoooooof from our goalkeeper made it almost to the opposite penalty area where our AMC got to it before anyone else and slotted it past the opposing keeper. :cool:

OK. Trying to adapt my all-conquering Sparta tactic to work with Bundesliga.2 side Greuther Furth

Trying to get into a career save. Started as Villarreal.

Epic start to the season - we scored at least 4 in our first 4 games!

Young Boys 2 - 5 Villarreal (3 for Rossi)

Villarreal 4 - 1 Young Boys (2 for Rossi)

Deportivo 1 - 4 Villarreal :cool: (1 for Rossi)

Atletico 4 - 6 Villarreal :D (5 for Rossi, 3 debut assists for Riquelme)

We have the most immense attacking options. Added to Rossi, Cazorla, Cani, Fuster, Pires, Ibagaza, Escudero, Llorente, Nilmar etc. are:

Riquelme (:D club legend)

Lukaku

Diego Castro

Milan Badelj

Yaya Sanogo.

So much depth and versatility.

Not to mention bargain signings of Alberto Lora and Lukas Sinkiewicz to strengthen the defence and midfield.

Very nice, Hersh!

You in for the night?

I doubt it. Need to be out at 9ish for a possible day of shooting people with laser guns. :D

I doubt it. Need to be out at 9ish for a possible day of shooting people with laser guns. :D

Laserquest :D

Having an epic session with Stuttgart atm. There's one game left before the end of the season and then I'll post up end-of-season update in my thread. Or maybe post it tomorrow. I have somehow been on an unthinkable run in the Champions League.. :D

Sounds sweet!

We've been hit for 5 without reply over our last two games. God knows what the manager was doing with this team before now.

Quasar? Normally it's full of kids. Hoping that it'll be fairly empty tomorrow, or full of students. We shall see.

Worst case is there's a load of group bookings then we'll have to find something else to do.

http://www.quasarelitehemel.com/index.htm ;)

We've started to look pretty poor. :(

1-0 win over Espanyol and 2-1 over FC Kobenhavn, but we've been crap.

Eh close enough. I usually go to Laserquest over here in Canada and they're in US too. Wasn't really sure if they had Laserquest in Europe. :p

And I got passed over in the Manager of the Year awards (again) despite allowing the fewest goals, and my Wonderkid right back was robbed on the Defender of the Year. Not to mention I have 0 players in the Bundesliga Team of the Year. The awards panel has something against my club and players ffs.

I won the Eredivisie 4 years in a row and never got even a sniff of the award!

They do, although I've never been. This place is in Hemel (which is horrid) and hasn't changed at all since I first went there in the 1990s. :D

Villarreal 1-1 Sevilla. Poor performance yet again. Just keep playing hoofball for no reason.

WTF, SI?

Loaded my save. First match back in I lose my AMR and my AMC to injuries (the AMR will be out 3 months with a torn hamstring; the AMC will be out 4 weeks).

Then a couple days later in practice, my AML goes down for 3 weeks.

SORTITOUTSI. :D

Brief update on my latest career game. Started as QPR in Championship....signed a couple of players to bolster the squad and got promoted at the first time of asking through the playoffs, thanks largely to a 12 match unbeaten run to get myself into the 6th spot. Using a 4-3-1-2 formation with a defensive minded midfielder in the 3 and a playmaker in the whole, Marlon Harewood finished as my top goal scorer. Had him on Loan from Villa and subsequently made him my first Premier League signing.

Premier league got off to a slow start. Had all sorts of problems with formations. It's difficult to win on FM since 10.3 patch using a "normal" formation and not a 2-1-1-4-2 type formation where players are all over the shop. I don't work like that...I like to setup in a balanced fashion and have my players adapt to me if at all possible. I finished a respectable 16th and looked to consolidate the next year. Started off well. Unbeaten in the first 3 games of the season which were against Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd (Home, Away and Away) with 2 draws and a win. However things took a turn for the worse as I once again struggled with formations. 4-4-2 came and went, 4-1-2-2-1 (4-5-1 defensive effectively) likewise. Failure to find a formation that managed to bring out the best in my players saw me finish 20th and was relegated. I resigned out of shame.

2 years later I finally get offered another top division job, this time with Bundesliga outfit, Bochum. Bochum have little cash, a dwindling support base and average training facilities. I managed them to 12th playing a defensive 4-5-1 with a young Brazilian, Felipe providing the Anchor at DMC and setting off my attacks. I purchased 9 players, all of which became squad players. Jermaine Jenas joined along with Jack Collison on a free before the start of the season. Collison weighed in with 5 goals and 12 assists during the season to get us to a respectable 12th. Dedic, our Croatian Striker managed only 10 goals up front on his own.

With little transfer cash after season one (we had 4mil) I opted to ask for training facilities and expansion. Both of which came and were ready for the start of the new season. I managed to get around 7 players in on Bosmans. Dreyer a capped German international joined on a free as did another humorously named GK, Assaman. Jack Collison would line up beside Felipe in the middle of our midfield as we attempted to push on this season (currently my second for the club). Adopting a 4-5-1 attacking (basically a 4-2-3-1 with wide players) formation we look strong going forward. I'd lost 2 of my best defenders on Bosmans, and only had the hilariously named "Ponce" as my main defender. I managed to get a Czech youngster in beside him before the window slammed shut. He signed, along with Le Tallec as our squad player who could player across the midfield. Coutinho, a young brazilian, full of promise joined from Inter Milan on a free, but with severe wage demands. His creativity and dribbling alone make him the ideal foil for our AMC role. Minzoni a young French player joined and has the strength and first touch to be the ideal leader of the line for our team. French Youngster Fayet is the only paid for signing I managed and his ability to play up and down the left hand side served me well in season 1 (whilst he was on loan) and I look for him to mature this season. With a young Russian at left back from Chelsea (bought in the Jan transfer window in season 1) maturing well, we look set to score a few goals and make a mark this year. However our defensive frailties have already been exposed in the first 3 league games of the season. We've had a grand total of 42 shots against us, luckily resulting only in 3 goals. Coutinho on the other hand, given a free role and asked to run with the ball in the Treqartista role is enjoying the start to the season.

Hope that gives you a brief overview of where I'm at. Any thoughts?

Still playing my lengthy FM 2009 save. It might be coming to an end with FM 2011 on the horizon, but it has been a blast.

I started at Southport in the Conference North, took a couple of seasons to leap up into the Conference Premier. Things soon started to go sour, no money to spend and a growing feeling of frustration with most of my squad, without the means to fix it. We were going nowhere, fast. I started getting restless, looking elsewhere, and applied for a couple of available League Two jobs without success.

The chairman got wind of this and had a tantrum, offering me the chance to resign. I took it and had a fortnight on the beach.

Fortunately I fell on my feet... League Two's Rotherham United offered me a job. They had no money either but it was the step up into the football league I'd wanted, and nobody else seemed interested. From such inauspicious beginnings came a journey with the Millers that was to last over a decade.

After a few seasons of settling in to League Two, moulding the squad as best I could with what free transfers were available and some good scouting, it all clicked and we won highly unexpected promotions via the L2 and L1 playoffs, a couple of great days out at Wembley to savour. We thought we'd made it to the big time the day that the Coca-Cola Championship TV money arrived.

A focus on developing youth had reaped long term rewards, with the local village of Rawmarsh proving a decent breeding ground for Rotherham's next professionals. Scouting across the Irish Sea had also proved profitable. In particular, we were able to steal a couple of Irish teenagers for loose change and sell them on years later for millions... one now flies down the wing for FC Porto, another has controlled Premiership midfields for both Everton and Arsenal.

Survival was obtained against the odds and over the years Rotherham became stabilised as a Championship outfit. I kept the wage bill down, more youngsters were coached up and sold on, the crowds poured into the Don Valley, and ultimately we'd turned a broke club into a profitable business. With reasonable money to spend I was able to slowly assemble a reliable squad capable of competing solidly in the Championship.

Despite the more obviously talented individuals having been cherry-picked away, I still had a core group of reliable colleagues with me from our humble League Two beginnings. There was captain Tom Taiwo, experienced midfield general and role model. His protegé, Rawmarsh boy and die-hard Miller Matt Heffernan, moulded in his captain's image and willing to run through brick walls for his gaffer and his hometown club. Steve Grant, another local youth product, and left-sided veteran Stephen Brogan, who even preceded me at the club and would make his 500th Rotherham appearance in 2022. Former captain and Rotherham icon Neil McGregor now worked behind the scenes on the coaching staff.

2022/23 proved to be a legendary season in Millers history, as we defied the odds to not only earn promotion but take the Championship title. "Premier League Rotherham United". I stepped out of the Don Valley dugout, pulled up the collar on my finest Jose Mourinho coat, and left.

Because those coats aren't cheap, and recently relegated West Ham United were offering to triple my wages. Hey, money talks.

So I passed up the chance to join Rotherham's daunting relegation struggle and instead remained in the Championship to rebuild the Hammers. The disgruntled and dysfunctional were cleared out, the squad re-structured (with, at current count, four ex-Rotherham players plus a fifth on loan), and in January 2024 West Ham presently sit atop the table with the promotion charge fully on.

I'm still waiting for my statue outside the Don Valley. Maybe I'll get to wave at Leroy Rosenior's boys on the way down as West Ham head back up, who knows. We shall see.

Would you have stayed?