Career Updates Forum Mini Updates Thread

dafuge

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1st season at Wolves, finished 7th when Blackburn lost 5-0 to already-relegated Stoke on the final day and handed me a Euro League spot as I drew at Arsenal 1-1. Disappointing draw, that! Aaron Ramsey hit a screamer from 35-40 yards out that came off the post, hit keeper Henessey squarely in the back and flew into the net. Regardless, I made it to Europe.

Summer signings so far: Ryan Shawcross from Stoke for 12 million over 48 months, a young defensive midfielder at 4 star potential from City's youth squad and a 16-year old striker with 4-star potential from Scottish First Division side Livingston for 170k. I've got a 50k a week plus bonuses contract tabled to Jose Bosingwa as well, as he's available on a free.

Interesting events:

-Landon Donovan to Spurs for 5.5 million pounds

-Adebayor declaring undying loyalty to City, hehe

-Away to Everton in the 3rd round of League Cup in the middle of a bad run. Fudge.

-Not winning either Black Country Derby. Son of a...

-3-0 over Liverpool, 3-0 over Man City, 5-0 away to Newcastle. Up the Wolves.

-3-2 over Arsenal to reach FA Cup quarterfinal promptly followed by a 0-3 shellacking at Chelsea's hands to eliminate me.

-Liverpool finish 9th and sack Dalglish

-Stoke relegated 13 points shy of safety with QPR, and Newcastle survived by a one goal difference at Bolton's expense

-Ukraine win EURO 2012 2-1 over Denmark, who knocked out England in the semis 1-0

-Del Bosque resigns as head coach after Spain go out in the quarterfinals, Pep Guardiola takes over and Barcelona job goes to Carlo Ancelotti.

-Edison Cavani to Spurs for 28 million

-Freaking Spurs in general. 2nd place and suddenly they're kings of the transfer?

-Gus Poyet linked to LA Galaxy

-Ibrox gets 2015 Champions League final, Millennium Stadium get Europa.

Right, so I took over at Burnley and went straight to work spending most of my budget on a DC called Jack Hobbs (who went to score 14 league goals in a season). I was able to keep ahold of all of my players which was tough as they'd just been relegated from the Prem the season before and many were being sought after. We went top 2 within a couple of games and never left that position and when West Ham stumbled towards the latter end of the season we took full advantage and finished top with a mighty 103 points. Mid-way we signed Ross Turnbull as we were leaking goals and he helped give us the best defence in the league and one which should do fine the in Prem - we do however lack depth and an all out goalscorer - although AMR Matt Phillips did hit 15 league goals and get an England call up for Euro'16

So there I was looking to strengthen the squad so we don't go back down after one season and taking in the Euro'16 action and Wenger retires at Arsenal - so I apply and get the job! So after 1-year I'm leaving Burnley and that means within 18-months I've gone from Boston in the BSP to Arsenal in the Prem!!

Season     Team                League                       Position    Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[b]Club:[/b]

2011/12    Boston United       English Blue Square North    1st         Division Champions
2012/13    Boston United       English Blue Square Premier  2nd         Lost in Play-Off Finals
2013/14    Boston United       English Blue Square Premier  2nd         Lost in Play-Off Finals
2014/15    Boston United       English Blue Square Premier  1st         FA Tropy Winners
2015/16    Burnley             English Championship         1st         Division Champions
2016/17    Arsenal             English Premier League

Former club Boston United were relegated position 23 and never really made it out of the bottom 5 :-(

Added - Am now manager of England (after turning down Spain who won Euro'16) - WTF!

Sitting in third with Arsenal at X-mas and still in all 4 competitions and we've had 3 matches with 8+ goals or more scored, including an 8-1 win over Tottenham (who I support). I just KO'd Spurs from the FA cup 3rd round (2-0) and they've sacked their manager as they are only 9th in the league - now do I stay or do I try and go?????

2016/17 update

Arsenal: QUickly identified they still have a goalkeeping problem (hadn't bought a new keeper in the previous 5 seasons) so brought in ter Stegen for £25M and with V.Persie reaching his 30s needed a new striker so got Abel Hernandez for £24.5M. The rest of the squad seemed good enough and there are a few decent kids coming through the ranks so was happy enough to only buy two players. I offloaded a few players to pull back £10M in transfers.

The season went well although we never looked like winning the league, we were always behind Man Utd but several points and despite scoring the most goals (111) and having the best goal difference (+72) we finished in 3rd - so at least an improvement from 5th the season before I took charge. We won the League cup so at least some silver in the first season and lost in the FA Cup final 2-3 to man Utd and lost to Athletic Madrid in the Euro Cup Q-finals. The season basically went downhill when the African Nations started and I lost 6 first team players to the competition.

Next season hopefully we'll be able to compete for top spot :)

England: Went well - won every match in the World cup qualification and won all friendlies so couldn't ask for more. The squad is good although England are lacking a proper striker as Rooney is getting old and Wickman is not good enough but will have to do.

Season     Team                League                       Position    Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011/12    Boston United       English Blue Square North    1st         Division Champions
2012/13    Boston United       English Blue Square Premier  2nd         Lost in Play-Off Finals
2013/14    Boston United       English Blue Square Premier  2nd         Lost in Play-Off Finals
2014/15    Boston United       English Blue Square Premier  1st         FA Trophy Winners
2015/16    Burnley             English Championship         1st         Division Champions
2016/17    Arsenal             English Premier League       3rd         League Cup Winners
2017/18    Arsenal

previous club watch:

Boston United: Finished 6th in the BSP so missed out on playoffs by 1 points. They have retained barely anyone I signed for them.

Burney: Fought brave but finished 18th in the Prem after selling their best player.

Well this season is sucking right now. Spent £60M on three new players to brinf our quality up to that of the other title contenders so I was hoping that we would at least challenge for things........

5th in the league and 16 points away from top :(

KO'd from Champ League in 1st Kockouts to Italian Champs Napoli :(

KO'd from League cup straight away at home to Man Utd :(

Still in the FA Cup but then again so are most top sides so not being hopeful. :(

Arsenal: Well sine my above post I scrapped my current tactics and went back to ol' faithful (4-4-2) which seemed to do the trick as we stopped throwing away the away games which had been our problem all season. This meant at the end of the season we had a good little run of wins which allowed us to get 3rd again and again reach the Champions League and with my new tactics I hope next season I can at least challenge for one of the big titles. As you can read above the cups didn't go well, except the FA Cup, where Tottenham KO'd Man Utd who I have issues again and I beat Spurs in the final so at least I won a cup again.

I have a young team still so a couple new midfielders and hopefully we'll be there.

England: We qualified for the World Cup with ease with one defeat (to Croatia) and more recently I have lost a couple of friendlies which has caused problems (inc. 4-0 to N.Ireland!) so am going to change tactics here as well. Something which has failed to help me has been my assistant manager picking the world cup squad for me - not sure how I missed that news post.

2014/15    Boston United       English Blue Square Premier  1st         FA Trophy Winners
2016/17    Arsenal             English Premier League       3rd         League Cup Winners
2017/18    Arsenal             English Premier League       3rd         FA Cup Winners

Former club watch:

Boston United: Again finished 6th so stuck in BSP again but won the FA Trophy

Burnley: Finished 4th in the Championship and won the play-offs so I get to face them next season.

Well the World Cup sucked, qualified from the group with ease and faced Morocco in the first Knockouts where despite having 25 shots only managed a 1-1 draw where we then lost on penalties :(

Did have the chance to take over most nations as nearly every manager was either sacked or resigned but have decided to see how Euro'18 goes so will probably leave after that tournament but we'll just have to see.

Might just make my own thread at this rate although it will lack screenshots (am lazy) - I appear to have taken over this one slightly

• 2 weeks later...

2015/16, Munchen 1860

after one season in Boavista (sacked at the end of the season, 3rd place), the Olympic games with Ivory Coast (bronze medal), and 3 years in Ontinyiet (1st season, 9th place in Segunda Division B3, the 2nd promoted and the 3rd a fantastic 8th place in Liga Adelante), i decided to go in Munich and take control of Die Lowen. After 12 games, i'm 5th (the final target is a middle-table position), 12 points on the relegation battle, and 7 far the 3rd place.

Quite glad I found this thread! That best not be your Catennacio game D!

New light hearted game started as Bristol City, currently knocking around the play-off spots in the first season 15 games in. Massively over-achieving at the minute but I expect it to get tougher. Pretty standard tactics and no signings.

I've had a good run in the League Cup knocked out a few prem teams like Villa and West Brom. Got knocked out in the Quarters to Sunderland on penalties. Really hate the lack of finances from that, did have a few sell-outs though.

Quite glad I found this thread! That best not be your Catennacio game D!

New light hearted game started as Bristol City, currently knocking around the play-off spots in the first season 15 games in. Massively over-achieving at the minute but I expect it to get tougher. Pretty standard tactics and no signings.

I've had a good run in the League Cup knocked out a few prem teams like Villa and West Brom. Got knocked out in the Quarters to Sunderland on penalties. Really hate the lack of finances from that, did have a few sell-outs though.

Yep, wheels have fallen off slightly. At the half way point we have dropped to mid table, a place I would have been happy with but for our great start. Letting in a few too many goals, may have to have a tinker! Gonna watch the Ireland game and have a think about it :)

• 3 weeks later...

Started a game with Olimpic Xativa in the Spanish 2nd Division B3, predicted to finish 19th. After the first 10 or so games we are 6th and pushing up the table. Also managed to reach the 4th Round of the Spanish Cup where the Liga BBVA teams enter, and we drew the big one - Barcelona! We had the 1st leg at home and expected to get hammered and, well....this is what happened!!!

Negotiations in Football Manager continue to amaze me.

The initial offer got cancelled in the end cause we didn't have the money. So I tried again, but with transfer date next summer. Slightly different offer. They re-negotiate to a better deal. We do this a couple of times. My offer is 300k up front, 500k over 48 months and 500k after promotion. They negotiate again. I give them exactly the same, but without the half a million for promotion. They accept.

WTF?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Trying to get back into this in the wake of failing quite badly in my 3 FM threads (rapid sacking by Kansas City, a psyche-scarring run in Belarus, and then a crash dump with an edited file after the patch), and having Skyrim turn into a total time suck on my days off.

Anyway, I'm at Akademik Sofia in Bulgaria now. Reached the winter break in 8th, just 3 points clear of the drop (9th and 10th go down). We were predicted to finish 4th, so I've had news reports of my imminent demise. Players "have a hard time motivating themselves to play for a manager of" my reputation, again.

Been mostly using a 4-4-2 or a 4-4-1-1 (which sometimes we look really flash in the 4-4-1-1. But it's a case of lovely buildup, can't get the shot on target). Also been experimenting a little with a 3-1-4-2 after reading a blog discussing the return of 3-man backlines in Italy, but the players still haven't totally come to grips with it yet.

If I reach the end of the season, and decide to carry on, then I'll start a thread. :D

Season's worth of underachievement caught up to me. Sacked the day after finishing 7th (in a 10-team league), despite winning the last match, going 6-1-3 in our last 10 matches and 7-2-4 after the winter break.

A 3-3-8 mark in the first half of the season put us in a hole that we never really looked like getting out of.

Oh well, the club is bleeding cash anyway, so good luck with that, board.

• 2 weeks later...

Do want to start a thread, but i keep starting games and then get bored of them too soon, so i might just stick to this thread.

So far i started unemployed and was given the FC Seoul job. Finished 2nd in the table and have the play-offs to play, hopefully i can win the league.

In other news i've just signed Juan Pablo Angel for free. Hopefully he'll be good backup for the new season.

Two annoying things about the K-league. 1 - stupid K-League All Stars game, in which one of my players got injured for 5-6 weeks, pointless game, wish i could withdraw them. 2 - the national service, i know it's what happens and all, but it's annoying when your keeper gets called up. :p

It's not FM but it happens in FM to me all the time: On FIFA I'm chasing the playoff places with Wimbledon and both times I've played Plymouth they've been rock bottom of the league and beaten me both times without me getting a goal. As I said, happens on FM all the time, you lose to the team that is rock bottom with no chance of doing anything.

*Warning cheap plug* If you want to watch my career with Wimbledon you can check out my channel on YouTube: www.youtube.com/MTBSwifty don't forget to subscribe! :D

In two seasons, Arsenal have spent a grand total of £167m on players.

In comparison, I have spent £68.5m, and Man City have spent £73.1m. They have not had any takeovers, and I have never seen them

spend this much in any save I have played on.

• 1 month later...

Just lost Champions League qualification over direct matches. So frustrating.

I'm in 2022 with FC Khimki in Russia now, with a goal to win domestic league and cup in every ex-USSR country. Started as unknown Kyrgyzstani manager and my achievements so far are:

2011 - Nashe Pivo Kant - Kyrgyzstani First League - runners up

2012 - Nashe Pivo Kant - Kyrgyzstani First League - winners, promotion to High League, resigned at end of the season

2013 - Abdysh-Ata Kant - Kyrgyzstani High League - runners up, Kyrgyzstan Cup winners

2014 - Abdysh-Ata Kant - Kyrgyzstani High League - 4th place

2015 - Abdysh-Ata Kant - Kyrgyzstani High League - winners

2016 - Abdysh-Ata Kant - Kyrgyzstani High League - resigned during the season, AFC Challenge Cup winners

2016 - Shakhter Karagandy - Kazakh Super League - 5th place, Kazakh Cup winners, taken over during the season

2017 - Shakhter Karagandy - Kazakh Super League - winners, Kazakh Cup winners

2018 - Shakhter Karagandy - Kazakh Super League - resigned during the season

2018/19 - FC Zestaponi - Georgian Umaglesi Liga - winners

2019/20 - FC Zestaponi - Geogrian Umaglesi Liga - winners, Georgian Cup winners, Champions League group stage, resigned at end of the season

2020/21 - Spartak Moscow - Russian Premier Division - 4th place, sacked at end of the season

2021/22 - FC Khimki - Russian Premier Division - 3rd place, Europa League quarter final

I never got round to starting a career thread, but here's a quick synposis:

Start unemployed, sunday league reputation.

June 2011: joined Norwegian 2nd division side Jevnaker IF partly through the season, and finished comfortably mid-table

2012: won Norwegian 2nd division

2013: played half of season in the Adeccoligaen but then resigned halfway through to take job at FC Nordjaesland, now in the Danish 1st division

2013/14: won the Danish 1st division and just about kept the club afloat

2014/15: finished 3rd and won the Danish Cup, bringing European football to Farum Park.

2015/16: beat Braga in the Europa League in the 3Q round but then knocked out by Man City in 4Q. Currently 4 points clear at the top of the Danish Superliga, winning our last 6 games including a 6-1 away win at AC Horsens.

I also managed Jamaica to the 2014 Carribean Championship but then lost the Gold Cup final to the USA - resigned after this. Have been linked to jobs in the Championship but no offers just yet.

Having made a fist of my previous career and quickly losing interest, I'm starting again with the fully patched version.

Changing things up a little, giving myself "automatic" reputation and starting with a semi-pro club in the hopes that the players will actually listen to me. :D

Step forward Incheon Korail. Choo choo!

epic_semi1.png

Epic semi final. My side were up 2-1 going into the second leg. When we were tied 3-3 on aggregate, Real Salt Lake ahead on away goals, I thought it was over. Fast forward to the 85 minute and hope returns. My Spanish striker decided that this was his time. This was his moment. This was going to be the first time all game he didn't shoot from 40 yards out or shoot into row Z. This time he slides the ball past the keeper: 4-3 on aggregate. 2 minutes later Real Salt Lake losses the plot. Their defenders allow my other striker to slip past them and put us ahead 5-3. They then complain to the linesman so much that their goal scorer gets sent off and another player gets carded. Just before the game ends they get another player sent off just to add insult to injury. I don't mind. I'm happy we'll have the chance at winning the Open Cup for the first time under my reign(we've lost in early rounds and in the quarters before).

FARGHK!

Korean FA Cup 2nd round, we're drawn away to a non-league side. We go up 1-0 early in the second half, and we're generally bossing the match, just can't find the back of the net. Then my right back, who I already have a substitute up for, gives away a penalty in the 70th minute. Going to extra time.

We lose our left back to injury early in extra time, but manage to snatch a goal to go up 2-1. Then my right wing goes down with an injury. Since I've already burned all my substitutions in normal time, we're down to 9 men.

We try to kill the match off, but our opponents get a corner in stoppage time. Again, we're down to 9 men, so they end up getting a free header to level the match and send it to penalties.

My goalkeeper stops their second penalty in the shootout, and it looks like we might still go through to the 3rd round (the minimum expectation from the board). But sure enough one of my players has his saved, and then our last penalty taker balloons his over the bar. And my opponents don't miss any of their remaining penalties, so we crash out on penalties, a round short of expectations.

And you know the board is not going to factor in us going down to 9 men.

Good thing we've started brightly in the league, I guess.

Gone top of the N-League at the halfway point. :cool:

Very close though. Our 2-0 win against Mokpo means the top of the table is:

1. Incheon Korail 29 (+12 GD)

2. Kookmin Bank 29 (+10 GD)

3. Ansan Hallelujah 28

Then it's Yongin City in 4th with 22 points, followed by our "Transport Derby" (:D) rivals Busan TC with 19, and Changju Hummel rounding out the playoff spots on 18 points. Just off the playoff places are Changwon and Cheonan City on 17 points, and Suwon City (who have sacked their manager) with 16.

Not much entertainment out of the top 2 though (early on other N-League managers were criticizing me for our style of play. I'm running with FM's version of the 4-5-1: 3 in central midfield (one of them in a DMC position) and 2 wingers. Of the 3 in central midfield, I'm using a defensive-minded anchor man, a defensive-minded ball-winning midfielder, and a deep-lying playmaker in a support role). We have the stingiest defense in the N-League with just 6 conceded. Kookmin Bank are next with 7 goals assist. Ansan do it the other way, by scoring goals for fun. They have 27; the next most prolific side (Busan TC) has 19

Have a very interesting save goin now , started off Limerick FC (Im irish and its the nearest i can find to me) in Irish 1st div promoted last day of the season and winning the senior challenge cup getting me into europa league qualifiers , and cause of the screwy dates with the league had to wait til midway through the next season.Make it through 2(maybe 3) rounds of qualifiers to go out on away goals to slavia prague, this being with a team at BSP standard at best and having got lucky enough to have got a newgen target man good enough to make the first team.The most annoying part being my stadium only seating 250 from 2500, although i made crazy money for that level while i was there(about 250k). Left close to start of what would be my second season in the top flight basically cause the board wouldnt upgrade the stadium and a fair few teams going full pro while i was semi pro, decided to jump before i was pushed and landed a job with telstar in the dutch Jupiler League

Im now getting very annoyed with that board , got promotion to eredivisie through the screwy dutch playoff system with a pathetic stadium of 3250 capacity which has been selling out constantly since january and they refuse to upgrade its capacity "not a big enough fanbase" or some crap, heres the kicker i had the second worst defense in the entire division and still managed to finish second with a hell of a goal difference , mainly due to a very technically gifted 20 year old serbian called el Maestro , now with 18 corners frees and technique

.At mo im in eredivisie sitting in in 5th having giving thumpings to FC Twente (defending league champions) Ajax and their 52000 or so capacity stadium on their own ground both 3-0 and a very credible 2-2 draw against feyenoord(who were struggling i'll admit) and they can seat upwards of 40k.Main reasons for success are my set piece Maestro (pun intended) a powerhouse of a centre back, a 19 year old holding mid and a brilliant belgian target man currently on 11 in 14 league games so far this season.

I really hope they'll agree before the end of the season or i get a takeover or i'll jump ship i've already got offers from coventry and reading

Archived