Career Updates Forum Mini Updates Thread

dafuge

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

End of season 2014/15

Left AC Milan during March to save Bayern Munich's season, who were anguishing mid-table, with Dortmund running away with the title. Managed to finish second 6 points behind the strong Dortmund team, which consisted of the likes of: Ozil, Mountinho and Sahin so no wonder they won the league.

The champions league adventure was a roller-coaster ride which ended on a sour note. Before I joined, Bayern and Arsenal had played out a 0-0 draw at the Emirates. The second leg was my first game in charge, which we won 2-1 after two late screamers from Lahm and Schweinsteiger meaning we'd face Man City in the QF's.

The first leg at home was once again a 2-1 comeback, and the second leg finished 2-0 which led to us becoming empathic 4-1 winners on Agg. The semi final drew us against Real Madrid. The first leg of this finished 2-1, with a red card for Breno and Raul Albiol which mean't both teams finished with 10 men, but Real Madrid took home a vital away goal. This didn't matter. We never showed up at the bernabeu, we were routed 7-1. Shamefully my worst ever FM defeat.

Started a career game with all the major european leagues as well as Argentina, USA, Australia and South Africa.

The plan is to win the league in each european country including the champions league before heading off to Argentina and then semi-retirement into the MLS or Australia.

Starting off with automatic reputation the only team to offer me a job were Bromley. Making a few key signings, notably Ndumbu-Nsungu, Izzy Iriekpen and former Celtic winger Mo Sylla, we stormed the league with 98 points losing just 2 games. Not long after the last game was played recently releagated Yeovil came calling. The squad was really poor and only 3 or 4 players were good enough and willing to stay so a complete rebuild was reqired. However, i didnt expect it to click into gear so quickly, we romped the league losing just 2 games and gaining a record 116 points in the process.

Up to this point i still had not spent a penny on transfer fees in my career, this all changed with the 55k signing of Shelton Martis, other key signing included Yan Kermongnant and Scott Loach and with that we were ready for our assault on League 1. However, a shock was just around the corner when Ian Holloway was sacked from Derby County and they offered me the job. As soon as i saw the budget on offer i left Yeovil as quick as a flash. 2m transfer budget and 225k per week wage budget was a luxury not usually seen at League 1 level, especially when the wages for the whole Yeovil squad only came to 30k p/w.

As the transfer window had already closed i had to be clever in the transfer market, the enagmatic Adel Taraabt was my first signing, a loan with a view to a permanent deal for 22k, bargain! He was quickly followed by Dave Kitson on a similar arragement. Wes Morgan was signed for 190k to add stability to a shaky backline and Caleb Folan will join for 40k in January.

With these signings and a few more hopefully i can progress Derby onto the championship and beyond in double quick time.

Gah. Some bugs with FM10 are really frustrating.

My DC just stopped short and stood there, opposition striker takes the ball and scores. Somehow my DR is to blame for the goal and his rating drops to 5.4. Way too often the wrong guy gets blamed for goals. And why on earth would he just stop and try to impersonate a statue? We weren't even playing in the Fulham area...

There's also a ridiculous amount of long-shots that rocket into the net - from both us and the other teams. You'd think half the midfielders in Blue Square South (and below for that matter) were Scholes clones.

The match engine also is pretty confused about red cards and professional fouls. My goalkeeper was just down by the corner flag, for some reason didn't bother to take the ball he came there for, and then trips over a striker with his back to the goal (facing said corner flag). Red carded. WTF? Then there have been cases with a striker storming through on goal who get scissored from behind and the defender doesn't get a yellow. Plenty weird.

Sure hope all these things have been fixed for FM11.

Oh yes, and apparently it's impossible to score on 1-on-1s. AT least if you're straight on goal. If the striker is coming a little from the side the chances seem somewhat better. I'm barely worried when opposition strikers get through like this, cause I know they are very unlikely to score. And same with my strikers ofc.

Those are my complaints for the day.

Gah. Some bugs with FM10 are really frustrating.

My DC just stopped short and stood there, opposition striker takes the ball and scores. Somehow my DR is to blame for the goal and his rating drops to 5.4. Way too often the wrong guy gets blamed for goals. And why on earth would he just stop and try to impersonate a statue? We weren't even playing in the Fulham area...

Heh. I just had one of my CBs lose the ball to a tackle from the other team's striker, right in front of my own penalty area. The striker takes it and buries it. (Oddly enough, 1on1, from an angle.) His rating doesn't even move, but the other CB's rating drops off immediately.

After spending six seasons with Leicester City in the English divisions, I’ve decided that it was time for me to hand my resignation in. With only one league promotion to my name, I was a little disappointed to have not added any silverware to the cabinet, however, I’ve left them in good shape, and with Alan Shearer taking over the reins, I’m confident silverware is only around the corner.

After a little job hunting, both Porto and Marseille sacked their managers. I applied to both and was offered the Marseille job the next day. Without any hesitation I accepted the job and started packing my bags. I'm goin' to the south of France baby! :cool:

So after not being able to settle on a game for months, my younger brother recommends I give Rangers a try, saying I'll enjoy the challenge of taking them as far as I can in Europe, but will have the domestic trophies to give me something a little easier. And, at least for the first season, he was right. After a stuttering start to 2010/2011 we soon kicked into high gear and went on an incredible run that encompassed a 17 game unbeaten run in the league, and qualification for the Knockout stages of the Champions League. Highlights of this included a phenomenal 9-0 decimation of Inverness, and holding Chelsea to a 0-0 draw at Stamford Bridge. Sadly we suffered a mid-winter wobble, and it couldn't have happened at a worse time, as it dumped us out of both the Scottish League Cup (Semi Final, to Aberdeen) and the Scottish F.A Cup (to Motherwell, in what for us was the 1st round!) We recovered in time to give Man Utd a decent go of things in the Champions League 1st Knockout Round, losing 4-2 at Ibrox and then 2-0 at Old Trafford, not playing badly at all in either match. From then on, the focus was entirely on the league, and with the side back in form we wrapped the title up with three games to spare with a 2-0 win over Aberdeen. Other notable things from this season would be a 2 wins, 2 defeats record against Celtic, and Kenny Miller scoring a ridiculous 31 goals in 27 games in all competitions!

Over pre season, I brought in some new faces. With the club in a weak financial state I sold Madjid Bougherra to Lyon for £3 million, and had signed Jody Craddock (!) as a temporary replacement. I brought in an Italian defender called Daniele Cappelli that McCoist recommended to me, as well as some big name out of contract players such as Hermann Hreidarsson, Juan Carlos Valeron, and Robbie Fowler to add some depth to the squad. I also spent a fair chunk of money bringing in Kasper Schmeichel as a long term replacement for Allan McGregor. To say things have not been good would be an understatement. Our current record in the League is Played 7, won 2, drawn 2, and lost 3. The wins came against St Mirren and Hamilton, the draws Hearts and Inverness, and the defeats... a 3-0 away loss to Aberdeen, a 3-1 at home to Dundee United, and 5-0 AGAINST HIBERNIAN. To add to our misery, we got knocked out of the Champions League in the qualification stages to some obscure team from Cyprus, and while we made a promising start to our Europa League campaign with a 4-1 home win over Club Brugge, we've since gone to Lokomotiv Moscow and lost 6-1. Times are tough.

Well taking Derby to the league 1 title was extremely easy given the hefty transfer and wage budget afforded to me. The signings of Taarabt (22k) and Kitson (Loan) were backed up by Ross Wallace (45k), Daryl Murphy (45k), Joe Allen (40k) and Charlie Austin (150k). The signings of Wallace and Murphy in particular helped push us over the line with the latter bagging 12 goals in 17 games. There was also the Paint trophy which was a formality completed with a routine win over Crewe Alexandra. That completed a brilliant season altogether, Derby County are back in the championship.

As soon as the season finished i decided to spend the rest of my budget (275k) on my goalkeeper form my Yeovil days, Scott Loach. I was already planning on how i would strengthen the squad for an assault on the Championship when the budget popped up for next season, £0 transfer budget and a hefty reduction in the wage budget. I thought about resigning but there were no decent jobs available, so the task of slashing the wage budget started immediately. Adel Taarabt was the first to move on, £45k to Southampton was probably too much, hes declined horrificly and never performed in league 1, his wages of nearly 20k per week were also obscene. Next out the door was winger Robail who was outstanding last season but with an offer of £1.3m on the table he had to go.

These sales allowed me to bring in a bit of Premiership class in Kieran Richardson, a quality free transfer and his versatility will be invalauble. Mark Hudson also came through the door to provide cover in defence. This season is all about staying up, anything else is a bonus.

Just before the end of last season i was approached by Ivory Coast to become there manager, i jumped at the chance as it will be useful to learn French and could boost my reputation. The main aim is to qualify for the world cup, the group consiists of ourselves, Ghana, Sudan and Gabon. As only 1 team qualifies it will be a straight fight between ourselves and Ghana for top spot. Our opening game was against Ghana, a 1-0 win giving us a huge advantadge and putting us in the driving seat for World Cup qualification.

I'm sure there is a thread around here about 'resigning' anyway but I resigned midway into my 3rd season with Dag & Red. Last two seasons finished higher than predicted (especially first season, predicted 24th, finished 12th) but wanted a new challenge. None of my applications are accepted for other posts though! Not even Newry Town or some 2nd division Northern Irish team?! :( Any ideas?

From what I've experienced, you have to work really hard to improve your reputation before you can start quitting clubs and expecting to get another job. Once you have made it at the very top you can pretty much quit when you want and still walk into a top job.

From what I've experienced, you have to work really hard to improve your reputation before you can start quitting clubs and expecting to get another job. Once you have made it at the very top you can pretty much quite when you want and still walk into a top job.

I've been a victim of this many a time (and right now), the grass is never greener on the other side.

It's looking like Haverfordwest (8th in Welsh might offer me a job when their manager goes) but it does mean I've been unemployed for about 9 months now...

Quick edit: Still unemployed after a year...

Another quick edit: Make that two years... Not even BSP teams want me?

2011/2012, midway through the season, and I've killed Rangers. We're sat in 9th in the table, my signings, aside from occasional glimmers of talent from Capelli and Valeron have flopped massively, the team can't string any form together, we lack any sort of leader with Weir and McCulloch having dreadful seasons, and, in a bid to get out of the club without resigning I've became the most miserable manager alive, declaring interest in as many clubs as possible and giving the most downbeat press conferences possible, making sure to take swipes at the fans. In short, I'm an unprofessional idiot who has taken the most dominant club in Scottish footballing history and, after one league title, has dragged them into a relegation battle. This has apparently made me a prime candidate for the vacant Chelsea job.

4th in 2010/2011 and no trophies was enough to get Ancelotti sacked (eerily similar to real life) and the Blues went for a blast from the past in appointing Claudio Ranieri, who promptly took them to 11th. He was out by Christmas, I applied for the job out of hope more than anything (Ian Holloway had already beaten me to the relegation battling Championship side Sheffield United) and, to my shock, got offered the post. I gleefully accepted, with the only catch being I could only join at the end of the season. After a 5-1 defeat to Celtic, I decided to resign and holiday from Rangers, now knowing I had a job neatly lined up for me.

I spend some money in the transfer market in the summer and acquire Romelu Lukaku to lead the line for years to come, as well as a bevy of back up players. Playing an attractive 4-1-2-1-2 results are initially great- we ruin West Ham 6-0, dominate Wigan into 4-0, and come away with a crucial 2-0 win over Man City. However, a frustrating 2-2 draw with Stoke is the catalyst for a long and painful Autumn- we slide down to 7th from 1st after a 0-0 draw with Wolves, 3-2 loss to Man Utd, a 1-0 shocker at home to Blackburn (one chance, one goal for the Ewood Park side,) a 4-2 defeat to Aston Villa and an absolutely pathetic effort in a 3-0 home mauling at the hands of Everton. By now, I'm feeling deja-vu. In a desperate attempt to shake things up, I transfer list some of my under-performing stars and sell them at rock bottom prices, blow my massive budget on the purchases of Leighton Baines, Jack Rodwell, Shaun Wright-Phillips (no, he wasn't my first choice) and Andy Carroll, and change my formation to a rigid 4-5-1. This has brought us 6 consecutive league wins, including 1-0 wins away to Arsenal and at home to Man City, and for once my signings seem to be working quite well; Andy Carroll got a debut goal in the F.A Cup and Wright-Phillips is causing havoc down the right wing.

So, in short, I'm hoping for a bright future and a push for Champions League qualification, but hopefully we can keep some consistency. I'm dreading what will happen if we go on a run like with did earlier in the season, except this time with no transfer budget to shake things up...

Great through ball to my striker, opposition goalkeeper comes out and crashes with him just outside the box; striker goes off with injury and 'keeper is sent off... for handling the ball outside penalty area.

I think I've never seen GK sent off for fouling striker when one-on-one in this game.

How exactly does that work?

Is it 3 DCs, 2DMs, 3AMs and 1ST?

Was this you converting from 4-2-3-1 after having a man sent off?

DC DC DC

MC MC

W AM W

ST

Worked wonders against their 4-4-2 with an extra man both in midfield and defence and their fullbacks pinned back by my wingers. I did start with a 4-2-3-1.

OK, so I've broken the disciplinary record for Liga Sagres. With 10 games still to go...

That is pretty bad, Deisler. :D

started a new career with bromly missed out on the playoffs in the first season by 1 point, second season anyone of 5 teams could still win the title it was us in 2nd against 1st and we ran out 3-0 winners to win automatic promotion to the blue squre premier and so far we are struggling just above the relegation zone with 15 games gone on one of the smallest budgets

Can anyone give any tips for lower league teams, so far i've been playing 4-4-2 with a deep defensive line, telling my wingers to cross to target man. I've played a few games and noticed that not many shots on target and my possession is low, help?

In the lower leagues I wouldn't recommend a target man as such. This is because every time your team has possession, they'll be looking to offload it onto your target man, and therefore all of the play will go through him. As you're in the lower leagues, I believe that having a target man is too much to ask for from one player. You should try to get your team working as a team, whilst also keeping things simple. That's probably the reason your possession is low too, as they're always looking to give it to the target man, rather than keeping the passing simple.

4-4-2 is a good solid base to build upon, so I’d recommend sticking with that formation. Just try un-ticking the box for the primary target man and playmaker roles, and having them set on 'none'. Also, whilst in a match, you could look to use the 'retain possession', 'pass to feet' and 'work ball into box' touchline shouts to help your team keep possession.

It may also be worth reducing creative freedom and roaming from position.

I find the players in the lower leagues don't have the intelligence to be creative or move into the correct position so this normally results in the loss of possession. My thoughts have always been keep it simple formation wise, don't give the players a chance to show off skills they don't have. Getting players with good determination and physical stats will help big time at this level too.

Argh. We're picking up wins now, but so are the teams in front of us.

And that's official. We're relegated with 2 matches left. :(

EDIT: We have 32 points, which the previous season would have been good for 4 points clear of relegation. :mad:

Ha! Stuart Pearce has just won England the World Cup in 2018, over Brazil! The team was led by my two regen fullbacks, who are fantastic physical specimens with great defensive stats. Lightning fast. They rarely miss tackles, but when they do, they'll catch up in just a few steps. :p Seriously, though. The RB is probably the faster of the two, and he's got 19 pace and 20 acceleration. In reality, they're pretty much the exact same player, just switched sides. The pair of them easily made the Dream Team, and they scored England's last two penalties, one of them the winner! And they're only 22. Big futures ahead of them.

Then, Pearce quit. Leaving on a high and all that. I'm going to try and take over. England has some good looking regens, especially on the defensive end of things. I currently have three of those four, so they'll get plenty of playing time. ;)

Oh, another thing I just noticed that I'm fairly proud of: in the CL Final I just won against Barca, my entire starting eleven counted as home grown players! :thup:

Earlier in the week, after finding my dafuge challenge game with Carshalton was going stale, I started a journeyman game with the English, Swedish, Scottish, German, Italian, French, Spanish and Dutch leagues loaded all the way down. There's a good mix of leagues I often play in (England, Germany, Sweden) and those that I don't (i.e. all the others!).

Starting unemployed with automatic rep (I forgot to do sunday league but hey), I was offered the job at Swedish 2nd Division West Gotaland side Annelunds IF. After steering them well clear of relegation into mid-table in the 2010 season (I'd joined in June 2010), I won the division in 2011 with 3 games to go.

Currently steering my way through the mammoth 6 month off season in the Swedish leagues for my first season in the Swedish 1st Division South. I currently have about 6 players so am trying to build up a squad with frees and loan signings.

If anyone wants a game where they can fly through the seasons I strongly recommend the Swedish league system - in the 2nd division there are only 22 games plus however many you have in the Swedish Cup (just the one for me in 2011!). In the First Division there are 26, and I think this goes up to 30 in the top two leagues.

I'm hoping to boost my rep and then take over one of the bigger clubs in Sweden, as I can't see Annelunds IF being able to compete any higher than the Superettan (Swedish First Division Elite as its known in-game). Oddly I've been linked to a couple of English League Two sides already, but have a contract until the end of 2012 and will see how my first season in the third tier develops.

It is possible for even the worst sides to reach the top of the Swedish tier, hrbfcrule stared 4th tier and is now at the top only using youths :)

Yeah I've read that thread! Not a system I've decided on myself - I've gone for the "loan as many players as possible" approach. ;)

I did get Linkoping into the Premier Division in Fm 2010 whilst winning the Carribean Championship with Netherlands Antilles (now that was a fun game!) although I reckon its harder this time around (especially for Netherlands Antilles as it now longer exists and Curacao is the replacement!).

Second leg of the Europa League Third Qualifying Round, U.D Leiria vs Rubin Kazan.

Leiria had a 1-0 lead and an away goal from the first leg and we made a perfect start as

to put us up 2-0 on aggregate after 10 minutes. However, Sunny blundered into the back of a Rubin player and from the resulting penalty, Rubin pulled one back. Two minutes later,
and we were 3-1 up on aggregate.

Things got even better on the stroke of HT when a Rubin player was dismissed for an elbow, straight red. HT came and went, we were 3-1 up and cruising. We controlled the second half until we were torn open by a through ball and the Ruben player who got on the end of it, lobbed Fioranelli and made it 2-2 on the night. I had a tiring squad and not the resources to replace them. I tried to shut the game down and it looked good.

90 mins came and went, there was two minutes on the fourth official's board and then we would be safe and the unlikely winners! 93 mins... 94 mins... Not one stoppage in ET, yet the time was still ticking. On 95 mins, the Rubin players broke and a low cross into the box was stabbed in. 3-2 to Kazan and they won on away goals.

T

Completely and utterly gutted... We didn't have a prayer, but to win in Russia and then lose on away goals, three minutes OVER the given ET... Well, it's a little hard to take...

Archived