FM2010 blogs #27 - Achievements. And 2 new match engine videos.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First time I'm actually on the forum when a blog is announced...

PS. I live in Australia

Good to see the flashes are gone...I do find the ball being far too bright/white and looks like there's no shadowing on it?

Nice net effect on the goal!

Question: for the achievements, do they have any in-game effects or are they just little popups that a "pat on the back"?

But in-game effects I mean those in FMH, where you can't get sacked after X years or something like that.

Miles, is there a way of making the game flick back to another screen inbetween 3D highlights rather than just staring at statues till the next highlight happens?

PS: love the fact that the goals nets actually move![/QUOTE]

Just what I was going to post.

Perhaps this is the year I go 3d.

Also, how does the achievements thing work? I'm aware it's only for steam users so does that mean that achievements are simply not in the game for people playing off the DVD or is it just disabled? Do the achievements appear in the steam application rather than the actual game?

• SI Staff
Miles, is there a way of making the game flick back to another screen inbetween 3D highlights rather than just staring at statues till the next highlight happens?

PS: love the fact that the goals nets actually move!

For the record, goal net bulging is only PC for now. We will look to add them in the Mac for a patch if possible, but there's quite a lot of code to re-write to make it work on Mac's. We had to choose whether to do it for PC, or not at all.

As for the flicking to another screen, we looked at various options this year, and none of them worked for us. We'll look at it closer for FM11.

First time for a while Miles has posted the link to the blog too.

:)

It took ninja style co-ordination...

• SI Staff
Also, how does the achievements thing work? I'm aware it's only for steam users so does that mean that achievements are simply not in the game for people playing off the DVD or is it just disabled? Do the achievements appear in the steam application rather than the actual game?

They appear in the Steam application, and you get little pop ups in game, driven by the Steam app.

players are still a little stilted, but it's a definite improvement in quality over '09. i can never play a game in that mode though cos i hate it when they all just freeze on screen.

i hoped the fans would, at least predominately, be wearing their teams colours, but it doesn't seem to be the case. minor gripe, admittedly.

They appear in the Steam application, and you get little pop ups in game, driven by the Steam app.

So these aren't GFWL achievements? It's not driven through Microsoft in the same way that Fallout 3 and GTA IV are on the PC, and all games on the Xbox? I wasn't aware that steam did achievements.

Excellent job with the match engine look, and I always have faith you'll patch up any technicals.

Great work with the home/away fan split, laughed at pogoing away fans in the second video at 9:00 (it's only a corner and you're 3-1 down! especially liked the guy in the purple jacket pogoing with hands on hips, sometimes a little surrealism is so much better).

Really excited now!

Loving the videos, visually matches look really really good now, gameplay looking much better, full stadium looks great, the net rippling looks great and the crowd celebrating a goal looks great as well, so excited for next Thursday :D

What is the game speed for a match like ? I hope it is done just nice so a game is not too slow neither is it too fast that you cannot make any changes?

Was any pitch shouts/tactical changes made during the game? Did not notice any.

good job

Hey Miles,

The match engine video's look a whole better now compared to last month. The stadiums do add to the overall feel of a match. However what I am missing:

1. Are there skyboxes in the bigger club stadiums? Or is this something for FM2011?

2. Will the seats always be gray or will they have the colours of the homeplaying team?

Looking forward to more match engine demo's. I am liking the crosses connecting well, I saw a fantastic cross and and even more fantastic header in the video! :)

All in all it's looking pretty good, I prefer to play my matches a bit faster than that and in the old view. I'm not a big fan of TV view, and if it hasn't changed then I can't see me enjoying this year either. Will we still be able to use the touchline shouts etc if we don't want ti view matches this way?

As for achievements, I'm not fussed either way, I doubt I'll use them (not that they are of any use) but it's nice for those who like to brag!

So these aren't GFWL achievements? It's not driven through Microsoft in the same way that Fallout 3 and GTA IV are on the PC, and all games on the Xbox? I wasn't aware that steam did achievements.

Yeah Steam does acheivements...

Empire Total War says ive killed 354,959 men in battle while losing 115,599 men.

Got them for left for dead as well.

The new match engine is in my opinion is looking sweet. I've always been a 2d player but I think things are going to change, its beginning to look very smooth. Liking the nets bulging and the crowd getting up when on the break, and jumping up and down when you score. The refs need a bit more life instead of just running around but other than that, bring on next week (demo time!!! hopefully!!)

The steam only achievements is lame, theres no reason whatsoever why this couldnt be done for non steam users and seems like its designed to push users onto registering with steam.

No thats not pushing people on to using steam. The PC version of the Last Remnant is a game that forces people to use steam even if you have the boxed version. Found a New copie cheap so got it, found out that Square as part of the Install process make you create a steam account. If you say no you can't install the game.

The achivements are a nice idea. The match videos are looking good. The play has a nice flow about it, seems like a big improvement over last years version.

Looking superb, loving the net bulging and the crowds. The stadiums are such an improvement and IMO add to the experience.

One question, could you turn the stadiums, or certain features such as crowds off to get better performance on a lower end machine?

Miles, I have a question. Its not entirely related to this blog in particular, but in 09 there were some PPM's that did not work, such as 'likes to lob keeper' and a few others. Have they been fixed for 010? I apologise if this has been answered before.

Great job with the videos, the match engine looks fantastic.

Please Miles in FM 2010 add option that will turn off shadows of the stands. I hate to watch games with half of the pitch very dark and half in normal light. I want to see stands but I don't want to see the shadows of them on my pitch.

I think that many people have the same probem.

No thats not pushing people on to using steam. The PC version of the Last Remnant is a game that forces people to use steam even if you have the boxed version. Found a New copie cheap so got it, found out that Square as part of the Install process make you create a steam account. If you say no you can't install the game.

The achivements are a nice idea. The match videos are looking good. The play has a nice flow about it, seems like a big improvement over last years version.

Do you understand the difference between forced and pushed? LR forced people to use steam, FM is pushing people to use steam by offering steam only features.

Cutting features from the non steam game is try to get people to use steam.

If that wasnt the case, why not just build it into the game so everyone can access them?

I don't think the achievements are intended to force you to register with STEAM... Its an incentive for the customer to sign up that way, as it allows SI to gather data on the specs of peoples PCs to improve the game in the future for everybody! I think they will be a nice touch :thup:.

I think the 3D is looking great... and it may possibly convince me to move to it as last year it was not good enough for my liking so i stayed with 2D. Really liking it though, only time will tell.

The match engine still concerns me in regards to the second video, where at one point the right winger does that pointless exercise of trying to "nod the ball on"(or is he just trying to get a touch on it to push it infront of him so he can run onto it? - its not very clear) ,when there is nobody(on his team) in front of him. Also the keeper didn't attempt to dive on the penalty, where IRL in most cases the keeper takes a wild/calculated guess 1 way or the other(but maybe he was trying to guess he'd shoot in the middle?).

In regards to the ME though it could just be a rareity as you selected 2 "random" matches... so the chances of these things being a regular occurance are just as high as it being a 1 off!(as we haven't had the chance to look for ourselves yet)

Just my thoughts :thup:

Do you understand the difference between forced and pushed? LR forced people to use steam, FM is pushing people to use steam by offering steam only features.

Cutting features from the non steam game is try to get people to use steam.

If that wasnt the case, why not just build it into the game so everyone can access them?

Because they are Steam achievements, given out by Steam that run alongside the game. They are not in the actual game itself.

The nets looks amazing! :thup:

Particually liked the long range goal in the 2nd video as it showed the net bulges dependent on where the ball hits it.

I did notice that as the keeper picked the ball out of the net for that goal he walked through the netting to retrieve it.

Is there any chance of a match video of a game from say England, Scotland, Spain, Italy, Germany or France?

Finally any chance of a game played in the snow on a video?

Thanks really enjoyed the videos and the blogs, look forward to the demo and game release.

Not too bothered with achievements as I dont really play online so its not something I'm that interested in. As for the videos let's say I'm a little disappointed with the lack of action on the bench. It has been mentioned countless times on these forums how ppl wanted to see a manager ont he touchline and I still don't see it. All you see is seven blokes sitting on a bench looking at nothing. when you compare this to real life footballing benches, they are usually busy affairs and although I can live with this, it's a shame that there is no manager on the touchline. Would make it 1000 times better as you would make out it's you. :)

The steam only achievements is lame, theres no reason whatsoever why this couldnt be done for non steam users and seems like its designed to push users onto registering with steam.

It's an added extra that will make no difference to gameplay. You won't miss any of the actual game without the achievements, you just won't get the bragging rights.

For what it's worth I would use Steam to install my game with or without the achievements.

Hey Miles,

The match engine video's look a whole better now compared to last month. The stadiums do add to the overall feel of a match. However what I am missing:

1. Are there skyboxes in the bigger club stadiums? Or is this something for FM2011?

2. Will the seats always be gray or will they have the colours of the homeplaying team?

Looking forward to more match engine demo's. I am liking the crosses connecting well, I saw a fantastic cross and and even more fantastic header in the video! :)

I agree entirely about the improvement. The Stadium in Academica V Leixoes looked awsome. May be tempted to buy now although my two saves in FM09 are such a challenge I still may skip FM10 and wait for FM11 which should have still more improvements. What I'm really waiting for is a much improved international management

Archived