One Footed Strikers

Which Side do you prefer to play one sided strikers on?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which Side do you prefer to play one sided strikers on?

• Same side as their strong foot
    • Weaker side (right footed striker on the left)

I'd have to say that I agree with you. It's fairly difficult to find someone who can cut inside effectively. Although, when I do use players on their weak side, I usually find that the people who are most effective at this are guys that have a pretty decent long shot ability. They'll receive the ball with their backs to goal, cut inside and shoot.

Is the game really sophisticated enough to take this into account and make all of our analysis and tactical debating worthwhile over which side favours which foot, because when I watch the players in the 3D, they dont seem too bright, nor have I noticed many players cutting in especially to make use of their strong foot. I could be wrong of course, but I have my doubts.

for me it depends what type of striker it is. For a more strong and slow striker i prefer him to play in the same side of his preferred foot. If it is a pacy striker normally it cut inside more, hence i use him on the other side of his pref foot.

Also if the op team use the defensive line high i always use my striker on the right if he is a lefty because when he successfully gets into channels in the game the striker tends to run cutting inside, so the foot he will use to strike the ball would be the opposite of the side of the pitch he is in

Is the game really sophisticated enough to take this into account and make all of our analysis and tactical debating worthwhile over which side favours which foot, because when I watch the players in the 3D, they dont seem too bright, nor have I noticed many players cutting in especially to make use of their strong foot. I could be wrong of course, but I have my doubts.

Yes. The hints and tips even make reference to it occasionally. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If the CM is marking your ST well, it may be better to use him to drag the CB wide and let and AMC or Winger do the goalscoring.

It seems to me that if I put wingers on the 'wrong' side, that they score more often but their crossings aren't as good anymore. Anyone else made that observation?

Yeah that seems right, unless they are two-footed. Espescially if you teach your wingers to curl the ball they can score some great goals from the opposite side.

Opposite sides.

I'm right footed but I prefer to play on the left. When you come in towards goal, it's easier to curl the ball towards goal. If you're on your natural side you will tend to curl the ball away from goal.

I often set up with the strikers in each position, but when I am setting up the team talk I switch them round, so that if the AI is clever enough to plan for my strikers their gameplan is scuppered by genius :)

So really I dont pay much attention to their footedness...

Opposite sides.

I'm right footed but I prefer to play on the left. When you come in towards goal, it's easier to curl the ball towards goal. If you're on your natural side you will tend to curl the ball away from goal.

I was the same til I started using my left more often and sometimes using the outside of my right foot to curl it in. Takes practice to perfect the outside of the boot shot/cross/pass but they look good.

I know it's a bit off topic but it would be nice if you're able to train a player to use the outside of his natural foot to cross or shoot. The player would obviously need great technique to be able to pull it off and he'll have to be good at passing, crossing or finishing to be effective in any way. It'd make one footed players a little more effective, but only when they deserve to be.

Edit - Come to think of it this whole post is a bit off topic. Depends on the striker for me and the opposition set up.

Archived