Funny/Wierd/Stupid reasons for signing a player

What a fool that Derby youngster is. :D

I have signed two players purely on their names. One player I signed from a Championship team when I was in the Premier League on 06, because he had the same name as me. While he was average for Sheffield Wednesday, he turned out to be quite useful for me at Billericay Town.

The most recent one was signing a Scottish player called Scott Scott, who became a first team regular for me for four seasons on my current 09 save.

Finally, on an old 01/02 clan I used to play in, another human manager signed a foreigner called Brilliant, who turned out to be everything but.

When my teams have the money and I'm playing as a successful club, I have a terrible tendency to spot players whom I recognise as important internationals (comparatively, to their country) released on a free, feel sorry for them when they don't immediately find a new club, and sign them to loan out to worthy teams. I think I signed a couple of aging Montenegrin players before for this reason, because I thought Montenegro would suffer without them getting club games. Usually the result is that the players get annoyed at realising they will never get into the first team, and demand to leave. Half the time also, I see when they first sign that they rejected offers from other clubs and I suddenly realise that they were never going to miss out on finding a new club in the first place :\

Sometimes my philanthropic side does make me look pretty stupid...

I do this for younger players of obscure nationalities, especially non-EU ones. For instance I often see decent Jamaican youngsters released by Harbour View and then retire when no one signs them. I sign them and loan them to my Belgium feeder to get some game time in the hope they get an EU passport and someone else signs them later.

(From the other side of the coin, I used to find it annoying when managing smaller nations seeing decent youngsters in my small National Pool promptly retire - not even their local teams sign them up.)

I sign my cousin all the time just because i feel sorry for him because he is rubbish. His name is Peter Winn, cool thing is though he has a PA of -8 but never developes

LMAO

Joking aside, did you try tutoring him? Maybe his unambitious personality keeps him from developing.

• 2 weeks later...
Back then I even considered getting a customized shirt with his name from Wolves, but didn't do it in the end.

Now I just wanted to have him on the team again for good old times sake, knowing he would never be able to be a starter and being able to spare 1.7m for his transfer fee. So unfortunate he started to quarrel right away after a few months. :( Would have loved to keep him in my squad as a mascot till his retirement...

awww the memories

i signed a player once just because his name was Pila (imagine someone named Penis .. not Dick because that's pretty common but Penis) .. and that's it lol .. that word is portuguese by the way.

there used to a be a player in the database called brian penis

I sometimes sign Aberdeen goalie Jamie Langfield as a back up for some bigger teams because I got a photo with him. I also sign Aberdeen youngster Michael Paton for most clubs simply because my surname is Paton and isn't very common, he does turn out to be a good championship striker though!

I signed Denilson once for Rangers in FM07, mostly because of how high profile he used to be. Signed him in January 2007, for £2.5 mil, and at the end of the next season Liverpool bought him for £8mil. Got the original Ronaldo on loan from Real Madrid for 07/08 purely because he used to be the bees knees, signed him on a free for 08/09 and then the following season he left to join Fiorentina for £5.5 mil.

In FM07 I was playing Plymouth and wanted to sign a player from my local team just because I liked him, but I ended up buying the wrong player with almost a similar name, who was quite crap. I ended up playing him as a first team regular anyway and he developed into a very good player. He was even touted as "best youngster in England". Singned him in every save since if I was playing a Championship team.

Archived