Mentality and it's relation to the DL

Hi..

Im wondering how you guys set up the defensive line in relationship with the mentalitys?

I.E these to scenarios,

1. ) You are playing a global mentality (same for the whole team) of 13, what do you set your defensive line at?

2. )

You have choosen a individual approach:

GK: 8

DCs: 8

FBs: 10

MCd: 12

ML/MR: 14

MCa: 13

FCs: 14

Wha do you set your defensive line at?

Please answer these two scenarios and tell me what you base your descision at.

I know for a fact that the defensive line can be set up in a number of different ways so i just want to know what's your take on it.

Regards,

pilsken.

answer to question 1.

i would most likely set the D-line to 13; assuming that my center-backs are capable of playing high up the pitch. moreover, if i was facing an incredibly quick strike force, i would perhaps drop it to 10; especially if my center-backs are not as proficient against a quick strike force. in any case, i always strive to mirror D-line to mentality as closely as i can - taking into consideration the players at hand; which reduces any space between defense and midfield.

answer to question 2.

when using individual mentalities, i think the most effective way to set the D-line is to mirror it with the 'middle' mentality - in your case 11. its a rule i adopted a few years ago when using TT&F- which seems to work. nevertheless, i would advise you set the D-line somewhere around 11 to start with and try and see how you team performs defensively. make certain that no space is to be found between the midfield and the defensive line.

The link between mentality and Defensive line is nothing but a good starting point of tactical planing. You must also check:

1 - If your defenders have enough discipline (when I mean discipline, I mean psychological attributes that helps players to follow the tactics as you want them to do) to follow those orders.

2 - Your defenders pace, positioning and agilty. In case you have generally slow defenders, using a high defensive line will make you suffer in deadly counters into the the back of the defense.

3 - Your opponents speed, skill and PPM's. Using a high defensive line agains a team who uses Ronaldo or Vagner Love can cost your defenders to suddenly loose their tactical positions.

if you are talking about center-backs, then yes. too much closing down, without the appropriate closing down and D-line settings, will lead to defenders getting caught out by balls over the top; hence the reason why i try to mirror the 3 settings. let me explain:

if a team seeks to play attacking football, it would make perfect sense to use a high D-line and closing down. this ensures that the attacking team defends further up the pitch; by constantly putting pressure on the opposition players. this is further aided by use of high closing down, which provides the the constant pressure, and therefore reduces the chance of the defense getting caught out by balls over the top; as the opposition has no time to pick an effective pass. nevertheless, for this particular strategy to work effectively, proficient defenders capable of reading the game impeccably are required.

i might upload my attacking tactic so as to show you how i try to implement the 3 settings logically.

on the other hand, a team playing with a defensive mentality will would be better off playing with low closing down, this ensure that the team remains compact, and therefore hard to break down. using a deep D-line contemporaneously with the other 2 setting, will allow the team to effectively soak up the pressure and reduce any space behind the defense; needless to say, these settings also provide the perfect catalyst for counter attacking the opposition.

the best advice i would give you mate, is to just experiment with the setting and watch closely for any behavioral changes in the players.

Archived