The 2007/08 Chelsea Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember it, and if i remember well it was two footed but not by any stretch an attempt on the player. It's nonsense obviously, but an early reputation will stay.

Vieira was still talked about as being a hard dirty player when he'd been the pussycat he was when he left for a couple of seasons.

nice article on jt, says a lot about the man & shows john gaunt up to be even bigger of a prat than normal.

Phone call that made me change my mind about Terry

JON GAUNT - Sun Columnist

I SLAGGED off John Terry and called him a crybaby last week.

Only problem is, he reads it and phones me!

I’m standing at the bar buying Alan Brazil another beer in the interval at the Rod Stewart concert when the mobile goes off.

"Is that Gaunty?"

"Yeah, who’s that?"

"John Terry, Gaunty."

"Oh yeah?!" (Or words to that effect!)

"It is me, Gaunty."

"Oh. What do you want?"

"I want to talk about your column in The Sun."

"I can’t talk now, I’m in Spain at the Rod Stewart concert with Brazil."

Now I’m expecting a mouthful of expletives and abuse, but instead I get: "Oh right, sorry about that, Gaunty — didn’t mean to disturb you. Can I call you in the morning?"

JT is polite, civil, well-mannered and considerate. In shock, I reply, "Yeah, phone me at 11."

Next morning, bang on 11, JT phones back, asks me how the concert went and how my family are enjoying the break.

Then he goes on to talk about my crybaby article.

First things first, he was again polite and gentlemanly as he tried to explain why he cried when he missed that penalty.

He told me how much the game meant to him, but also just how much Chelsea Football Club and their fans mean to him. I believed him and he nailed the myth that all modern footballers are only interested in the cash.

This was definitely a young man who loves the badge with a passion and he went up massively in my estimation.

Honesty

It takes a big man to pick up the phone and have it out with me without resorting to threats or foul language.

I also loved the way he talked frankly to me, a complete stranger. He said: "I’m not in any way embarrassed at crying."

But, he insisted, he was upset that I had called him a crybaby.

I again made the point that although I understood his passion and commitment to the team, I still felt that, as a leader and a captain, he should have shown more restraint and been consoling his team-mates rather than crying.

He talked movingly about his friendship with Frank Lampard and about the support he has been giving Frank since his mother’s death.

That part of the conversation will remain a secret between him and me, but suffice to say I was extremely moved by his words and although I didn’t blub, I was well on the way.

He told me how much he enjoys both the column and the radio show, and that my comparison of him with Bobby Moore hurt him most.

He actually said: "If I could be half the man Bobby was, I’d be a happy man."

He also admitted his past mistakes, but said: "I’m trying to be a real man, father and husband now, Gaunty."

And you know what? I believed him — and I was honestly moved by his honesty and integrity.

Last week I said John wasn’t fit to walk in Bobby’s shadow or captain England.

However, if he exhibited more of what he showed me on the phone, combined with his obvious talent and passion for his club and country, I now believe he could become a real leader of men

MUTU 'ORDERED TO PAY CHELSEA £9.6m'

Romania striker Adrian Mutu has been ordered to pay his former club Chelsea £9.6m for testing positive for cocaine, according to his lawyer.

Chelsea sacked Mutu in October 2004 and he was subsequently handed a seven-month worldwide football ban.

His lawyer Cristian Sarbu said Fifa's decision was not final and that Mutu would contest the ruling.

"This is a decision taken by a sporting tribunal. After this is final, this can be taken to a civil court," he said.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) ruled last May that the world football body would decide Mutu's fine.

In 2005, Mutu, who has since rebuilt his career first with Juventus and now Fiorentina, lost an appeal to CAS against his sacking by Chelsea.

Chelsea had asked for £8m in compensation for a player they bought for £15m from Parma in 2003.

The Premier League club felt Mutu had brought about his own downfall and wanted to recover the money they had lost on his transfer fee and wages.

Neither Fifa nor Chelsea would confirm Sarbu's claims.

BBC Sport

So, this has yet to be confirmed - but thoughts?

Personally, I think it's right that he has to pay - and based on his ability and market worth, it seems a pretty accurate figure.

Not sure if it's worth it's own thread, but you guys probably have something to say.

Is there a manager who hasnt been linked with the job ffs?

We have not came out and said we have talked to any manager whatsoever regarding the job, only talks I believe which have happened was Roman asking an opinion of Ancelotti.

Wouldnt particularly want Zico, amazing player but is he really that good of a manager? Mind did well to get to Champions League Quarters.

Still say Mon Zola!

Oh and fuc|< right off with the Deco rumours, him replacing Lampard is a complete joke, replace Lampards 20 goals and assists a season with a whiny little, diving Portugeese knobhead. icon_mad.gif

And if we do lose Drogba to Milan can we please not bring someone in with the same ego and whinyness of him aka Zlatan or Eto'o.

Deco used to be good, from what I have seen of him this season he has been very poor, plus doesnt help that every Chelsea fan doesnt like him after some of his antics during our CL games.

Yeah it does seem strange, pity that Roman wasnt fond of getting an up and coming manager like Hughes rather than a big name manager. Really not fond of most of the managers we are being linked with.

I think Deco has been one of the more consistent performers in a pish Barca team (since xmas anyway). Hasn't been awesome, but rarely vanishes from a game like other midfielders there. You won't buy him, but I'm pretty convinced he'll go to some team in Italy and have a very good season.

Wasn't fussed about your new manager when Grant went. Now oddly intrigued as there doesn't seem to be any kind of plan.

Originally posted by Poyplemonkeys:

Deco is an over rated ****. He can seriously **** off. Got literally nothing over Lampard for us.

Laudrup still possible.

Wouldnt mind Laudrup, hopefully bring his brother with him to show 3 of our 4 wingers how to play football would be nice.

Scolari announced, not really sure how I feel about that. I'm thinking meh. Not managed a club for 7 years, never managed in Europe, apparently doesn't speak a word of English.

Suppose it's quite good news regarding Carvalho, and maybe opens up a Quaresma deal which I'd like a lot.

Originally posted by Poyplemonkeys:

Scolari announced, not really sure how I feel about that. I'm thinking meh. Not managed a club for 7 years, never managed in Europe, apparently doesn't speak a word of English.

Suppose it's quite good news regarding Carvalho, and maybe opens up a Quaresma deal which I'd like a lot.

Pretty much how I'm feeling - but well, probably a bit more positive. Has done well in his last two jobs, even if they weren't at clubs.

It's an interesting appointment. Club gets the name manager they wanted without picking any of the really obvious candidates. Requisite PASSION will make him far more popular than Grant, but as has been pointed out, he hasn't managed in club football for seven years, and never at a major European side. I don't think the language barrier is a big deal except in terms of dealing with the media.

Thumbs up from me in theory. Be interesting to see who stays and goes now.

The beeb and various Spanish newspapers are reporting that Deco has signed a two year contract (with an option for a third) with Chelsea. This means the end of either Ballack or Lampard, both of whom I'd rather have and even if both stayed, I don't want Deco anyway. Terrible.

If we were going for a diminutive creative midfielder, I just find it strange that Deco was chosen- he's always been overrated and is now old and past his peak. We should have pushed for Diego or, better yet, Iniesta, who's position at Barca is apparently also open to question and even if he's physically a bit weak, his astonishing passing more than makes up for it.

an initial 2 year deal seems pretty short for someone like Deco, I guess it would make him a free agent again pretty soon ready a nice big signing on fee if things didnt work out with Chelsea.

I'm still not convinced he's joining you.

Drogba has been alternately hating Chelsea or loving being there since he's arrived hasnt he ?

Originally posted by shanyi:

If we were going for a diminutive creative midfielder, I just find it strange that Deco was chosen- he's always been overrated and is now old and past his peak. We should have pushed for Diego or, better yet, Iniesta, who's position at Barca is apparently also open to question and even if he's physically a bit weak, his astonishing passing more than makes up for it.

What? Iniesta is a key player for Barça. Guardiola loves him.

I heard a report a month or two ago that while Barca weren't putting him on the market, they weren't neccessarily averse to the idea of him leaving either, I think because they weren't sure how to fit him into their tactics or something. I was surprised as I think he's one of the most underrated and overlooked players in football.

Originally posted by shanyi:

I heard a report a month or two ago that while Barca weren't putting him on the market, they weren't neccessarily averse to the idea of him leaving either, I think because they weren't sure how to fit him into their tactics or something. I was surprised as I think he's one of the most underrated and overlooked players in football.

That report was wrong then. Barça will play 4-3-3 next season and Guardiola is the biggest fan of Iniesta.

Archived