A quick question about transfers.

Purely out of curiosity - why is it that real football transfers only ever appear (to my knowledge at least) to be agreed and completed within the transfer windows?

I personally can't recall hearing about a deal being signed between windows or know of any big signings that made their move on the opening day of a window - I'm assuming that there's no restriction on when deals are negotiated and agreed between clubs as in FM, but I can't think of any reason why clubs would then always wait until the window opens to start making moves and bids.

Purely out of curiosity - why is it that real football transfers only ever appear (to my knowledge at least) to be agreed and completed within the transfer windows?

I personally can't recall hearing about a deal being signed between windows or know of any big signings that made their move on the opening day of a window - I'm assuming that there's no restriction on when deals are negotiated and agreed between clubs as in FM, but I can't think of any reason why clubs would then always wait until the window opens to start making moves and bids.

I would say the simple reason is that real managers have better things to do in the season. Also, clubs would not take kindly to being approached during the season for their players for a number of reasons.

I see. I believe some sort of restriction should be made to mirror that in FM, in that case - as it is, the AI at least tends to bide it's time as well unless a club offers a player themselves. Generally speaking.

Taking your answer into account it not only now feels unrealistic but also unfair on the AI, this being in a game where human managers have significant advantages in transfers already not to mention in other areas of the game.

On another note but certainly related - could it be said that player values dip naturally in accordance with the time left on their contract, therefore explaining the inactivity between windows as not only polite but also beneficial in terms of expense?

Well in my experience the AI almost never bids for a player between transfer windows, mainly us users do it. But they tend to unsettle them by declaring interest, coming to watch the game when player X is playing etc.

Yes with time player values can go down especially if they are in their last year of contract.

Fingers crossed for the new transfer module in fm 10 it needs some tweaks but like in every year it's getting better :)

This year Bayern have agreed upon the transfer of Anatoly Tymoschuk from Zenit 3 months before the summer transfer window opened up. Although they tried to buy him in two previous windows as well and managed to have the transfer agreed in April because the minimal fee clause in his Zenit contract became active after the Fools day.

PS. It can be added in FM - the possibility of setting that the minimal fee clause activates only after a certain time after contract is signed (1,2,3 years).

I do think transfers are negotiated and agreed all year long, but they get through and become official during transfer windows only.

A negotiation can last for months, as it's part of a global strategy, so I doubt managers don't "care" for 8-9 months and then start frantically calling other clubs the morning of the first day of transfer window like teenage girls at the mall during clearance sales.

As I mentioned before Ai managers tend to unsettle players and only offer for them during the transfer window or before it 1 month or so but they don't sit around they have their targets and "court" them until they reach the point when you have to sell the player (sadly) but that's the way things go if your not barca, real madrid, bayern, milan etc

Apart from anything else, it isn't logical.

No club would want to commit £30 million to a player who may, for example, break his leg before he even joins the club. They'd then be wishing that they'd used the money for a different target.

Similarly, no selling club would want a player among their ranks who knows they are moving on - his level would be likely to drop.

Granted, some deals are agreed outside the windows, but they're normally low cost like young players.

Apart from anything else, it isn't logical.

No club would want to commit £30 million to a player who may, for example, break his leg before he even joins the club. They'd then be wishing that they'd used the money for a different target.

Similarly, no selling club would want a player among their ranks who knows they are moving on - his level would be likely to drop.

Granted, some deals are agreed outside the windows, but they're normally low cost like young players.

agreed with your points

but outside the transfer window if you keep it private you can be the only club that's offering for that player hence you have the advantage to grab him

Archived