Libero

Has anyone had any success with the 'libero' position? Whenever i've set a sweeper to come forward and make attacking runs, he seems to run up the pitch and the rest of the defenders all follow him, thus bringing the defensive line up much higher than I would like. Combined with attacking full-backs, this seems to be a recipe for disaster and makes us almost comically vulnerable to a quick counter-attack.

What do you recommend for success with this? At the moment, my formation is:

--------ST---------ST----------

---------------------------------

--------------AMC---------------

--------MC----------MC---------

-WBL-----------------------WBR-

---------DC---------DC----------

--------------SW----------------

The libero is a key position for the Ajax system. There's a great thread about it here, which may offer you more help. The Ajax system employs a libero infront of a back three, so it makes the system slightly more solid.

The biggest problem I've had employing a libero from the sweeper position is that my central defenders don't react to his forward runs. I've had good success getting the libero up the pitch and involved in the attacking play (as well as playing an aggressive, sweeping defense), but when you play a sweeper behind two central defenders they push out wide, and they don't push back in after the libero goes forward. When I'm in possession, there's a huge amount of space available down the center of the pitch for a counterattack because my "central" defenders end up near the touchlines (even if I ask both them and the fullbacks to stay back). I haven't been able to figure out how to get them to push back in to cover the middle.

Archived