Weird squad numbers

I recently started a game where I created a team in the BSS with perfect facilities and I try to get them as far as possible only using players from the club's own youth academy. I had a quite lucky first season and finished 1st which meant promotion to the BSP but it also meant submitting squad numbers for the squad instead of just using number 1-11 for the first 11 and 12-16 for subs. And since it was a new team with only regens, I decided to go with an approach that (to my knowledge) hasn't been used since the 1978 World Cup. I numbered my squad alphabetically. That obviously meant that some players ended up with unusual numbers for their position, here are a few examples:

My first choice GK wears number 10

One of my CB's wears number 11

My number 9 is a backup winger

Number 1 and 2 are central midfielders

Has anybody ever done something weird like this? :D

I Number my incoming loanees in a descending order from 99, a habit I haven't broke from the days when my computer was so shocking it wouldn't of surprised me if it had a hard time playing Pacman let alone FM so i played LMA which didn't give indicators to which players were on loan in the squad. I used just has a quick reminder of where i was going to lose players and needed to strengthen

I Number my incoming loanees in a descending order from 99, a habit I haven't broke from the days when my computer was so shocking it wouldn't of surprised me if it had a hard time playing Pacman let alone FM so i played LMA which didn't give indicators to which players were on loan in the squad. I used just has a quick reminder of where i was going to lose players and needed to strengthen

I also used to do that :p

With Henry being my all time favorite, the number 14 is held in very high regard by myself, so if I have an outstanding striker, I honor him with by giving him the same squad number :) Other than that, it's pretty simple for me, although I do tend to give Brazilian attacking midfielders the 99 for some reason :D

The only weird one that comes to mind for me is a young centre-back I signed for Liverpool; I gave him 92 for some reason - can't remember what it was. I suppose my defence has it's numbers wrong compared to the 'traditional' 3-5-6-2 from left to right with 4 for the defensive midfielder; mine currently reads 4-2-5-3, with 6 for one of my DMs.

I tend to pretty much re-assign my numbers each season. I work out what I belive my best 11 to be and number them 1-11, then my next best 12-23. Any youth player who I think will get a bit of a run will get a number between 50-59 and any older player who is going up for sale gets 80-99.

My striker (i only play with 1) always wears the number 7, with my attacking midfielders getting 9 & 11.

no, i number my squad normally:

1 - GK

2 - DR

3 - DL

4 - MC

5 - DC

6 - DC

7 - MR

8 - MC

9 - ST

10 - AMC/ST

11 - ML

That traditional numbering dates back to the old obsolete W-M formation. I prefer my first team line up's back line to be LB 2 CB 3,4, RB 5 etc.

Then my back-up keeper 12, back-up LB 13 and so on.

Italy used to assign numbers in alphabetical order, but role by role.

Defenders, then Midfielders then Forwards. Keepers usually got 1-12-22

Over the years the most notable players got to retain their favourite number, and in the last decade or so it went free-for-all, with all the players able to pick whatever number they want.

In my FM team I tend to keep some sort of consistency with the original numbering of the real life team I manage, even trying to create a "dynasty" for the most important numbers. (e.g. 10 at Juventus, 6, 11 and 14 at Rosenborg)

Then some numbers are "fixed" no matter which team I manage:

#9: striker

#10: technical AMC

#12: "can-play-everywhere" player

#15: young midfielder

#17: backup winger

#20: young striker/super sub

#19/21/22: promising offensive players

Reserve players get numbers above 35 [30-33 are for keepers... ice-hockey influenced]

Young players get their birth year when all the numbers 2-29 are taken.

That traditional numbering dates back to the old obsolete W-M formation. I prefer my first team line up's back line to be LB 2 CB 3,4, RB 5 etc.

Then my back-up keeper 12, back-up LB 13 and so on.

Really?

I know most League one teams line up like this today. Don't really know about other leagues

When I signed Sergio Aguero for my Sunderland team he wanted the #10 shirt but John Fleck aleady had it so I gave SA number 54. See what I did there? :p

the 5 meaning S and the 4 meaning A as if you were writing on a calculator his initials SA - 54

I have 'retired' the number 61, a former captain in my long term game (LB) had that jersey, now the left backs wear 62 instead, right backs have 26, and I do random numberings all over the park, my current number 1 striker wears number 1. I had an Argentinian Striker regen called Diego Maradona, he got number 10. The players also keep the numbers til they retire and a stunning career will see the number retired. Of course being in season 2029/30 means I have had a few weird numbers through the club. And my keepers also generally wear 30-35 (from Ice Hockey too)

Usually give my players numbers relating to the 1-11 position! My 2nd choice right back 12, 3rd choice 22, 4th 32 etc! left back 13,23,33, striker 19,29,39 and 20,30, 40 etc etc!

This way when I start a new team if I dont know the players I know which position they can play and their ranking without having to go through them all over again and again! My top striker will always be 21 though, thats the only odd one out!

Usually give my players numbers relating to the 1-11 position! My 2nd choice right back 12, 3rd choice 22, 4th 32 etc! left back 13,23,33, striker 19,29,39 and 20,30, 40 etc etc!

This way when I start a new team if I dont know the players I know which position they can play and their ranking without having to go through them all over again and again! My top striker will always be 21 though, thats the only odd one out!

What about back-up Goalkeepers? Your pattern doesn't allow for them.

I keep first team squad numbers as realistic as possible - I never change any from the players they started with (eg Gallas will always be 10 at Arsenal) but, when the number is free, I give the 33 shirt to one of my favorite youth players (who, for the past few games, always seems to be a left midfielder?)

Other than that, I try and use existing clubs numbers as a structure, so (if managing Arsenal) I would try and keep 16 (Ramsey) as a MC even after he'd left.

It'd be a cool feature to allow you to retire a squad number to honour a legend who leaves the club.

Yes! That would be an awesome feature to have, speaking as someone to whom numbers are very important.

As for my own numbering scheme...

Anyone who makes my top squad (say, top 25 or so) gets a number between 1 and 31, with exceptions made for 32 and 33 occasionally. That comes from hockey (ice hockey to non-North Americans) where the old tradition as for everyone to have numbers between 1 and 30, inclusive.

My first choice keeper is ALWAYS number 1 and my back-ups are 30 or 31 or, if those numbers are taken, 29 or 33.

I try to take into account number preferences for players. For example, in my Roma game Totti was number 10 so when I signed Aguero he was assigned number 20.

I consider certain numbers to be defender numbers (e.g. 2-6 and 25-29), midfielder numbers (7, numbers in the teens), and striker numbers (9, 10, 14, 20, 21).

If I have an Israeli player, I usually assign him number 18 no matter what.

Anyone who might get called up for injuries or who is on the fringe of the squad gets anything from number 36 and higher.

Of course, all of this is adjusted if I play a team in the Spanish league with their accursed rules of player numbers between 1 and 25. Hehe...

I have certain numbers that go to certain types of player:

1 & 24 goalkeepers

3 & 22 full backs

5, 6, 20 are centre backs

7, 8, 23 are attacking midfielders

9 is always a forward

the numbers 16 and 31 i tend to use for defenders or goalkeepers normally

the number 13 is either a centre-back or attacking midfielder

I go for the traditional numbers which I think are:

Gk - 1

LB - 3

RB - 2

CB - 5

CB - 6

DM - 4

RW - 7

LW - 11

AMC - 8

FC - 10

ST - 9

Then, like a lot of clubs I leave out 13 (superstition) and 12 (number dedicated to the fans). My reserve GK is given 33 (Patrick Roy - ice hockey goalie) a flamboyant left footed winger is given 14 (Cruyff) and a fans favourite is given 23 (Beckham/Jordan), I also give a young striker 19 (my first number when playing ice hockey). Everyone else is then filled up in order with the numbers remaining.

I use traditional numbers, imo the pref numbers just mess up the AI squad numbers because each year they change them to suit each player with a pref number. You even get the most famous players changing number every season which is totally unrealistic.

I usually use a mixture of the United '99 squad system and the old positional system. So if (and it's a big if) I use a 4-4-2.

GK - 1

RB - 2

CB - 5

CB - 6

LB - 3

DM - 16

CM - 18

RW - 7

LW - 11

ST - 9

ST - 19

If I use an AM, I'll have them as a 10. Outside of this first XI I have other numbers I use all the time.

13 - GK

4 - Backup creative midfielder (from Veron being at United)

8 - Backup DM.

14 - Creative genius

20 - Super backup striker

30 - 3rd Choice GK

40 - 4th Choice GK

50 - 5th Choice GK.

Everyone else is random or what numbers they'd like. But I change numbers a lot and if someone gets pushed out of the first team XI then they lose their number too.

• 2 years later...

I would have it as the following

1st choice GK - 31

5 and 13 - CB's

9 as striker only

10 as AMC/R

37 as a CM

4 as DM, 8 as AMC

After Benik Afobe's goalscoring record for me on a recent save, no. 17 is a striker

never use numbers such as 21, 27, 29 or 12

Usually for the GK, no. 1 and 24 (sometimes 18, 20, 30 - ice hockey influence).

For CB, no. 2,3,4 (and others).

For full backs, no. 5, 13, 16 (and others)

For centre midfielders, 6 (for a defensive midfielder), 8, 14, 7

For wingers, 11 and others

For strikers, 9, 10, 12, 21

17 is kind of a second no. 7 but sometimes for a young prospect (actually in my save, no. 17 is used by Alan Smith...)

30, 31, 32, 33 I use for young defenders (don't know why...)

40, 41, 42, 43, etc. for players from the young squad

Rarely I used weird numbers like 88, 92, 94 when I have no number to assigned them, so I use their birth day or birth year...

I usually keep to traditional numbers but one season in an fm11 save I had a bingo machine (cheap one with the balls in the cage) and listed my team by my assistants opinion of who was better and picked my numbers that way. All I remember is my best striker got the number 69 which made me chuckle a bit.

It'd be a cool feature to allow you to retire a squad number to honour a legend who leaves the club.

This is a feature or at least it was. It happened to me in FM2010 with Liverpool when Jamie Carragher retired and I was asked if I wanted to retire his number (26) to honor the player.

I don't really have a system. I generally let players have their preferred number if it's available, but, for example, I would never take no.8 from Steven Gerrard to give it someone else with 8 as their preferred number. I like numbers such as 16 and 18 for left-sided players, 20 and 22 for right-sided players. Back-up keepers normally get 13 and then numbers in the low 30s. My current numbers are:

GKs: 1, 38, 42

RBs: 2, 20, 34, 38

LBs: 3, 36, 49

CBs: 5, 6, 22, 23

DMs: 4, 21, 32, 44

CMs: 8, 14, 25, 33, 41

RW/LW: 11, 15, 16, 17, 19

AM: 12, 24, 26, 28, 30, 43

ST: 7, 9, 27, 45

Archived