FM 09 doesnt know the rules of the game!!!!

A funny thing I saw:

As we all know you cannot be offside directly from a goal kick yet directly from a goal kick my striker was penalised. I hope this is something that will be changed for FM10.

You should probably upload the screenie/match to the bugs forum for the guys to have a look and sort it out.

They also give penalties for obstruction, which should be an indirect free-kick.

Your statement is actually wrong, obstruction is now called impeding, and is a direct free kick, so a penalty if in the area.

I wonder if they still exist because I haven't seen any in many, many years irl.

They do. I am pretty sure United's opening goal in the 3-2 win over Villa last season (the one Macheda scored his 1st goal) was an indirect free kick from inside the penalty area.

I've never seen an indirect free-kick inside the box given for any other reason than a backpass in my experience (in real life).

While we're on the topic, is anybody aware of whether FM implements the new offside rule properly? I always wondered, but haven't played enough to really get an idea of how it's handled.

They also give penalties for obstruction, which should be an indirect free-kick.

Yes, until you make contact - if you make contact then it's a direct free kick. Basically any foul that makes contact is direct.

Same for high boot in the box (without contact), it's an indirect free kick - but if you kick someone in the face it's a penalty (or direct).

I've never seen an indirect free-kick inside the box given for any other reason than a backpass in my experience (in real life).

While we're on the topic, is anybody aware of whether FM implements the new offside rule properly? I always wondered, but haven't played enough to really get an idea of how it's handled.

hahaha earlier this year a referee gave my team an indirect free kick just inside the box because one of the opposition players was mouthing off at him, not sure if thats allowed, but we scored so oh well. :D

• 2 months later...

Since I've just experienced the obstruction in the penalty area thing and I don't think it should be a penalty (even if it was given to me), I Googled the laws of the game and found this:

Law 12 (Fouls and Misconduct), which provides that the referee should award an indirect free-kick against a player who "impedes the progress of an opponent"

So, even in the penalty box, obstruction should result in an indirect free kick (even if no referee in the history of the world has ever given that in the penalty box), no penalty should have been given.

Anyone know if this was sorted out in FM10?

Archived